Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
Mycorrhizae in coco/hydro.
    #442108 - 07/05/10 08:55 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Hello folks,

As some of you might know I'm bringing my growing indoors wanting to try out coco and my friend is setting me up some ebb and flow tables and perhaps he will let me try out a NFT system as his stuff is all DIY and easy to setup.

I'm wanting to use mycorrhizae & bacteria inoculate on my seeds/clones as this sounds like it's the most effective time to inoculate a plant with mycorrhizae. My research(google) shows:

Mycorrhizae is N tolerant but can not tolerate high levels of K (70+ppm)

Mycorrhizae multiplies when attached to the roots but will be dormant in aqueous solution.

I've also read conflicting claims of mycorrhizae benefiting from added sugar. Most in favor say it's included in their granular or liquid formulation (their product). Most against say the plant gives the mycorrhizae the sugars it requires in exchange for additional nutrients and water.

This leads me to believe it's most appropriate to apply to clones either before they've been exposed to significant amounts of nutrients or while they're still in vegetative growth.

As for sugars, I think I will not give sugars until it's time to flush my plants.

--

Now this leaves me to my questions. If someone has experience with products I'm looking for information on purchasing my product. I have two options and one of them costs 4 times as much as the other per weight but has far greater diversity and many more colony forming units/spores per cc. Here's an analysis of each of the products.

12,510 propagules/gram Pisolithus tinctorius
317 propagules/gram Rhizopogon rubescens
317 propagules/gram Rhizopogon fulvigleba
317 propagules/gram Rhizopogon villosulus
317 propagules/gram Rhizopogon subcarelescenz
246 propagules/gram Glomus intraradices
246 propagules/gram Glomus aggregatum
246 propagules/gram Glomus mosseae

This product is 16oz/1pound and costs $20.

Mycorrhiza:
Endomycorrhiza/cc

Glomus aggregatum - 8 spores per cc
      Glomus intraradices - 8 spores per cc
      Glomus mosseae - 8 spores per cc
      Glomus entunicatum - 8 spores per cc
      Glomus monosporum - 2 spores per cc
      Glomus deserticola - 2 spores per cc
      Glomus clarum - 2 spores per cc

Tricoderma:

Trichoderma koningii - 187,000 spores per cc
      Trichoderma harzianum - 187,000 spores per cc

Bacteria:

Bacillus subtillus - 50,000 cfu/cc
      Bactillus licheniformis - 50,000 cfu/cc
      Bactillus azotoformans - 50,000 cfu/cc
      Bactillus megaterium - 50,000 cfu/cc
      Bactillus coagulans - 50,000 cfu/cc
      Bactillus pumilis - 50,000 cfu/cc
      Bactillus polymyxa - 50,000 cfu/cc
      Sachromyces cervisiae - 50,000 cfu/cc
      Streptomyces griseus - 50,000 cfu/cc
      S.treptomyces lydicus - 50,000 cfu/cc
      Pseudomonas aurofaceans - 50,000 cfu/cc
      Pseudomonas fluorescence - 50,000 cfu/cc

This product is 8oz and costs $40.

Now the question is which is worth buying? I don't care about the diversity if it doesn't do anything for me but cost me 4 times as much. The wild card for me is the trich and bacteria in the second product has fairly high concentrations overall it seems the second product might be a better buy just because of the concentrations.

Any thoughts, suggestions, and ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thank you all,
MA3087

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

Re: Mycorrhizae in coco/hydro. [Re: maryanne3087]
    #442298 - 07/06/10 10:31 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Different mixes are adapted to different plants, For instance, cannabis likes trichoderma, and you'll find it in mixes intended for this application. Yet if you find one for tomatoes/flowers or whatever, it may not be in there.

--------------------
If you ain't smokin' dro, you're smokin' reggie. :shrug:

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mycorrhizae in coco/hydro. [Re: DieselB]
    #442301 - 07/06/10 10:39 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for the comment DieselB. From my understanding different species or even families (families being above genus and genus being above species in classification) of mycorrhizae will form mutualistic relations with certain plants when others won't. I just saw a chart that had mutualistic pairs between fungi species and different plants. I'll need to look into this more.

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

Re: Mycorrhizae in coco/hydro. [Re: maryanne3087]
    #442393 - 07/06/10 01:15 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

maryanne3087 said:
Thanks for the comment DieselB. From my understanding different species or even families (families being above genus and genus being above species in classification) of mycorrhizae will form mutualistic relations with certain plants when others won't. I just saw a chart that had mutualistic pairs between fungi species and different plants. I'll need to look into this more.

I'm pretty sure there are certain orchids that form"parasitic' relations with certain Mycorrhizae during germination and early growth, then develop new relations with totally different varieties once they are able to use photosynthesis

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mycorrhizae in coco/hydro. [Re: kyuzo]
    #442426 - 07/06/10 01:31 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Orchids seeds don't have an endosperm which is the food reserve in a seed that feeds the plant until it develops photosynthetic leaves. Orchids require mycorrhizae mutualistic relations to germinate for this reason, the mycorrhizae provides the orchid seed with the necessary food to grow into a photosynthetic plant.

Parasitic relations require one side of the relationship to benefit and not the other. When both sides benefit it's a mutualistic relationship. If for whatever reason the mycorrhizae doesn't benefit from the relationship it would become a commensal relationship as the orchid benefits where the mycorrhizae doesn't.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract