Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecrumblebum
Stranger
Trying to grow on the cheap (and how it's working out for me-pics included)(edit moar pics)
    #411127 - 05/03/10 06:18 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I've decided to finally stop paying for it, and I'd like to set up a cheap system in my closet. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with cuttings because I can get rockwool and rooting hormone cheaply.

What should I do for lights? The cuttings guides I saw didn't mention specifics, but it looked like several of those regular CFLs without a reflector of any kind were working well enough with cuttings, and thats basically what the seedlings I've got now have been growing under. So if I just rig a couple of light fixtures onto a board and put that board above my tray of clippings (4 or 5 inches above plants) will things work out? If so I'm going to make myself the equivalent of one of those seedling shelves, and maybe line the shelves and sides with some mylar.

------------------

Be gentle, it's my first try

They're under 4 cfls if you can't tell, been growing in Miracle Grow three month slow release potting soil. They seemed perkier yesterday, any thoughts on that?

SO the plan from here is: wait for them to develop till the nodes are no longer across from one another, do the cuttings as the teks here suggest, and get 'em into some soaked rock wool, and then onto a lower shelf. 24 hour light until they root, then 12/12 till they flower.

So my question is this: after they've taken root in the rockwool, what kind of nutrient should I be adding to what I water them with? Obviously rockwool and water alone aren't going to take them all the way to flowering.

Any chance the left over water from pasturizing hpoo would do the trick?

Here's the current size leader up close

Edited by crumblebum (05/28/10 01:06 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

Re: Trying to grow on the cheap [Re: crumblebum]
    #411164 - 05/03/10 07:09 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Tell us what "cheap" means to you and you'll get lots more help.

--------------------
If you ain't smokin' dro, you're smokin' reggie. :shrug:

Offlineelcharrosays
Male User Gallery

Re: Trying to grow on the cheap [Re: DieselB]
    #411179 - 05/03/10 07:28 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I'm pretty sure 'cheap' means involving as little monetary investment as possible whilst still producing a relatively decent product. He'd probably be better off finding an outdoor spot, adding some ferts, and letting it do it's thang out there.

--------------------

OfflineCrusty Ass Bastard
Pheno Hunting

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Trying to grow on the cheap [Re: DieselB]
    #411192 - 05/03/10 07:40 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

DieselB said:
Tell us what "cheap" means to you and you'll get lots more help.

Exactly.

--------------------
|

Skunk Train (Most Recent) | G13 Haze (Completed) | G13 Haze (Completed) | G13 Haze (Completed)
Cinnibis Rolls | Indoor Peppers

"The secret of improved plant breeding, apart from scientific knowledge, is love." -Luther Burbank

Offlinecrumblebum
Stranger
Re: Trying to grow on the cheap [Re: Crusty Ass Bastard]
    #411211 - 05/03/10 07:51 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Cheap to me means minimum investment for acceptable yield. I'm not expecting super awesome results for minimum investment, just utility for around the house. Will the above light setup work for growing cuttings?

Outdoor grow isn't an option.

Edited by crumblebum (05/03/10 07:52 PM)

Offlineelcharrosays
Male User Gallery

#411217 - 05/03/10 07:54 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Cuttings yeah but you're going to need some more power later on once you're plants really start developing.

--------------------

Offlinecrumblebum
Stranger
Re: Trying to grow on the cheap [Re: elcharrosays]
    #411226 - 05/03/10 08:02 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

The impression I got was the cuttings basically matured into buds without getting much larger. Is this incorrect? I don't intend to allow them to grow into full plants, which I figured the cutting accomplished regardless of light.

InvisibleDoPeYsMuRf

#411235 - 05/03/10 08:10 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

My first grow was with a 4ft shoplight for 10 bucks and a bagseed.

I didn't even keep track of when I put it on 12/12 and it must have been sativa because it seemed to take 6 months to finish.

It was shitty smoke but I learned from it.

What I learned was get a good light.

Then I bought a 400watt hps for 130$ and got decent smoke.

Offlinecrumblebum
Stranger
Re: Trying to grow on the cheap [Re: DoPeYsMuRf]
    #411239 - 05/03/10 08:18 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

My question still remains, will a cluster of the household CFLs kept about 4-6 inches above cuttings do the trick? And will converting them into cuttings automatically start them flowering, or do I need to cut the light down?

InvisibleSalviaNshrooms9090
Buddhist Monk
Male

Loc: Peru
    #411262 - 05/03/10 08:42 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

OKAY this is what you should do:

CFL or HPS?

You can buy cfls pretty cheap at lowes get 6500K for veg and 2700K for flowering. Each plant will need atleast 100W of cfl surrounding the plants. 100W total most CFLS say they are 100 but are only like 23

Or you can buy a cheap HPS from like amazon. The sunsytem is great because it produces little heat but can grow 2 reg plants or up to 6 autoflowering plants.

You should invest in a carbon filter and proper venalation system but all that is really not needed as long as you have a fan or 2 remember intake should be at the bottom and exhaust up.

You will need nutes get fox farm 2 trio its about 50 dollars but well well worth it. You should also get good soil the best would be fox farm ocean forest all sold on amazon or htg supply im sure.

Edited by SalviaNshrooms9090 (05/03/10 08:44 PM)

Offlinecrumblebum
Stranger
Re: Trying to grow on the cheap [Re: SalviaNshrooms9090]
    #411270 - 05/03/10 08:54 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

How many cuttings should I consider one plant when calculating how much light? Given that the actual wattage of a 100W household CFL is about a quarter of it's listed power, are 4 of these mounted on a panel above the cuttings sufficient for the equivalent of 1 plants worth of cuttings?

If I can do it like that, just raise seedlings till I can cut them and then raise the cuttings under clusters of CFLs, then I can do it on a shelf in a closet, and add the same setup to the other shelves as I save more money.

Offlinehopanshrubman
The Rabble Rouser

#411320 - 05/03/10 09:54 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Get 4 55w CFL's.

Shit would work perfectly.

Offlinepinedownpioneer
Stranger
Re: Trying to grow on the cheap [Re: hopanshrubman]
    #411340 - 05/03/10 10:08 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

right now im growing with two 4ft 40watt bulb shop lights on top with two 18watt bulbs on the side.  so far have put under $20 into this grow..lights were lying around the casa.  Bag seed grow..I started with 50 and started weeding out the weak..any idea on the grade of weed?  Im not expecting anything better than average-good seedless schwag?

If growing with Flo, plants can even touch the bulbs as close as possible is key but watch for heat stress as it can occur as ive found out.

Offlinecrumblebum
Stranger

Re: Trying to grow on the cheap [Re: pinedownpioneer]
    #411426 - 05/04/10 01:47 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

M'kay, thanks e'rebody, should do me nicely. :thumbup:

Invisible13eetleJuice
The ghost with the most
Male

Loc: 6' under fertalizing bud
    #411542 - 05/04/10 10:43 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

crumblebum said:
The impression I got was the cuttings basically matured into buds without getting much larger. Is this incorrect? I don't intend to allow them to grow into full plants, which I figured the cutting accomplished regardless of light.

By "cutting" you mean clone right? You've got some clones, cut from a mother plant, right?

Unless I missed something... They'll get just as big or larger than the mother plant given proper conditions. If you want them to stay small you'll have to keep them restricted to smaller pots and introduce them to flowering conditions early on in the life cycle.

Alternatively you can train a large plant to fit a small space by topping or LST.

--------------------

Offlinehopanshrubman
The Rabble Rouser

Re: Trying to grow on the cheap [Re: 13eetleJuice]
    #411549 - 05/04/10 10:58 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

LST is the way to go. Its easy and the outcome is outstanding.

Instead of the plant growing straight up you tie the stem down sideways with wires or string (or paper clips in my case hahaha)

Instead of getting a really tall plant with one main budding cola, you get multiple colas.

Heres an example of my plants that have been LST'd

Offlinecrumblebum
Stranger

Re: Trying to grow on the cheap [Re: hopanshrubman]
    #424644 - 05/27/10 02:04 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I dunno if I need to bump this, or if the edit will do that.

Invisible13eetleJuice
The ghost with the most
Male

Re: Trying to grow on the cheap (and how it's working out for me-pics included) [Re: crumblebum]
    #424741 - 05/27/10 04:14 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

crumblebum said:

They seemed perkier yesterday, any thoughts on that?

Maybe they're thirsty. My plants droop when they need water. Although, I think plants also droop when over-watered as well. :shrug:

Also, you should mount your light bulbs horizontally instead of vertically. Very little light comes out of the "end" of the bulb compared to the "sides". :thumbup:

And, what kind of air circulation/ventilation do you have?

--------------------

Offlinecrumblebum
Stranger

Re: Trying to grow on the cheap (and how it's working out for me-pics included) [Re: 13eetleJuice]
    #425057 - 05/28/10 12:51 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

13eetleJuice said:
Quote:

crumblebum said:

They seemed perkier yesterday, any thoughts on that?

Maybe they're thirsty. My plants droop when they need water. Although, I think plants also droop when over-watered as well. :shrug:

Also, you should mount your light bulbs horizontally instead of vertically. Very little light comes out of the "end" of the bulb compared to the "sides". :thumbup:

And, what kind of air circulation/ventilation do you have?

Thirsty I think, as I gave them a lil extra water yesterday and they perked back up.

Thanks for the tip about the bulbs, I'll try and work that up, need to redesign the light rig anyhow.

So does anyone have thoughts about hpoo water being a good liquid nute to add once cuttings are in rock wool?

Invisible13eetleJuice
The ghost with the most
Male

Re: Trying to grow on the cheap (and how it's working out for me-pics included) [Re: crumblebum]
    #425062 - 05/28/10 01:09 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I don't know anything about hpoo but, this is el cheapo and looks good too. :thumbup:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder