Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTheNewKid
Lonely Stoner
Male
Question about immature/mature seed
    #423775 - 05/25/10 02:18 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I just got a seed from my friend today, the first seed i ever got/seen, he said he thinks its immature so i need to wait for it to turn brownish color then i can begin the germination.

He has never grown before tho so he cant help any other way.

So my question is.
Is this seed immature? If so how long will it take till it is mature and is there any way to speed this process up? If i need to wait should i keep this in a special place ie. sun, cold area like refrigerator.

Any other advice will be highly appreciated. Thanks

--------------------
Hey Hey Hey Hey........................................... Smoke Weed Everyday:stoned:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Question about immature/mature seed [Re: TheNewKid]
    #423787 - 05/25/10 02:41 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

First of all, seeds do not riped outside of the plant. If he picked the plant before the seed was ready then it's useless, sitting around waiting for it to turn brown is just a waste of your time.

That said, I think that seed looks fine, give it a go

--------------------

OfflineTheNewKid
Lonely Stoner
Male
Re: Question about immature/mature seed [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #423800 - 05/25/10 02:57 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

ok. thanks for fast response. ill let you know how it goes.

--------------------
Hey Hey Hey Hey........................................... Smoke Weed Everyday:stoned:

OfflineCrusty Ass Bastard
Pheno Hunting

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #423815 - 05/25/10 03:29 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Agree with Harry, that looks like a perfectly viable seed. I've had strains with very light shells even after 9 weeks but other strains will throw deep brown tiger stripes in 8 weeks. The color of the seed is not always the best indicator of maturity IMO.

Good luck dude.

--------------------
|

Skunk Train (Most Recent) | G13 Haze (Completed) | G13 Haze (Completed) | G13 Haze (Completed)
Cinnibis Rolls | Indoor Peppers

"The secret of improved plant breeding, apart from scientific knowledge, is love." -Luther Burbank

Edited by Crusty Ass Bastard (05/25/10 03:29 PM)

Offlineimpgl

#423888 - 05/25/10 07:25 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

a seed wont ripen once its off of the plant. 2 ways i could tell if a seed is ride are:
1. squeeze it between my fingers - is it spurts open, immature, if not then i germinate.

2. put it in water. if it floats, its probably too young.

good luck

--------------------

OfflineTheNewKid
Lonely Stoner
Male
Re: Question about immature/mature seed [Re: impgl]
    #423931 - 05/25/10 08:48 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

tried the towel germination after harry said give it a go. from what i read takes 24hrs - a week.

later though i read

Quote:

Sirius said:
Well, to start off with, let's explain how we came to try out this idea. It became time to start another round of seeds, as we had new strains to try out, but two of the strains were known to both be several years old, and the seeds of the other strain were replacements for seeds that had bad germination rates, next to several strains that had excellent rates in the same conditions, from the previous germination. We first started sets of these seeds in paper towel, and then took them to coco (some had split, some hadn't). Only two seeds actually completed germination - the rest either split and grew too slowly and became rotten, or they didn't split at all.

Then we read a thread, over at ICMag, that described a technique that this poster initially experimented with simply for older seeds that were difficult to germinate, but eventually did it with all of his seeds because they germinated faster. The process as he did it was to gently apply pressure with tweezers on the pointed ends of the seeds to actually pop the seed open where it would normally crack open, after he gave it twelve hours to soak. Several posters in the thread then tried it out for themselves, and reported back that it was working excellently.

So, we gave it a try. :smile: First we tried this with the seeds that showed no signs of changes from the first round of attempted germination, and then did it with every new seed that we tried to germinate. The only exception is that my lady popped them with her teeth instead of tweezers, because she had better control on how much pressure to apply (which is barely any, just enough - they pop right away, and you can hear it happen). Within a day, taproots began to emerge from two of the seeds that first showed no signs that they began germinating after about a week in paper towels and then in coco (some of the seeds simply were not viable). It has also been working exceptionally with the seeds we have started germinating since then.

It is beneficial to do this because the energy that the seed would have to exert, especially if they are seeds with thicker hulls, can be expended in taproot growth and getting the cotyledons out of the shell. Of course, if the seeds are fresh and completely viable, then allowing the seed to split itself and emerge would perhaps make it stronger, the same way putting a fan on seedlings will strengthen their stem, but I don't know how consequential allowing it to take care of itself is, and, for our situation, we're dealing with seeds that aren't as viable and need to conserve their energy for everything that we can't help them with. We've confirmed that this definitely works, noting that it isn't just seeds that would have grown out anyways, as seeds that weren't responding in all the usual germination settings then grew out immediately after being popped by us.

Anyways, just passing this along to the Growery :bigweed:, since I haven't seen this technique mentioned yet here. To anyone looking to try this out, I'd suggest trying it out with bag-seed first, because there is definitely potential there for putting too much pressure on them and completely smushing the seeds. The poster we read about this from was using a magnifying glass, in addition to tweezers, to see better what was happening. Teeth work great though! :smirk:

We're definitely happy with this because we scored some rare beans of a strain that hasn't been available for years (Rez's Apollo Mist), and this technique is resulting in growing seedlings when, at first, it looked like we weren't going to get any results. On that note, expect a new grow journal from us soon. :grin:
:toke:

could i take it out of the paper towel tomorrow morning and try this? i would take it out around 6 meaning it would be in the towel for about 5 and a half to 6 hours or just leave it and wait.

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Question about immature/mature seed [Re: impgl]
    #423977 - 05/25/10 11:13 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

impgl said:
a seed wont ripen once its off of the plant. 2 ways i could tell if a seed is ride are:
1. squeeze it between my fingers - is it spurts open, immature, if not then i germinate.

2. put it in water. if it floats, its probably too young.

good luck

hmmm don't think I agree with that last part. out of my last 10 I germinated 8 of them floated and 2 sunk. all 10 germinated

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Question about immature/mature seed [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #424267 - 05/26/10 04:28 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

could i take it out of the paper towel tomorrow morning and try this? i would take it out around 6 meaning it would be in the towel for about 5 and a half to 6 hours or just leave it and wait.

Since you only have a single seed to work with, I'd forgo this for the time being as if you fuck up, well you're fucked. :smile:

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck