Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJeff Funk
 User Gallery

Starting bedroom grow in apt. Ventilation and lighting question
    #423012 - 05/24/10 07:47 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I'm gonna be starting up a medical mj grow in a spare bedroom of my new apartment I will be moving into. I was wondering what would be the best way to vent the scrubbed air from the room without completely destroying something? Do you guys think there would be a way to cut a hole in the wall or ceiling that could be repaired without being noticed by apartment management upon moving out?

Also what would be a good way to separate the room into flowering and veg since there would be two different light cycles going on. Thanks in advance.

--------------------
@Str8dankgenetics

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
Re: Starting bedroom grow in apt. Ventilation and lighting question [Re: Jeff Funk]
    #423045 - 05/24/10 08:33 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Is there a window in this room?

OfflineTomCollins

Re: Starting bedroom grow in apt. Ventilation and lighting question [Re: Jeff Funk]
    #423046 - 05/24/10 08:42 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Jeff Funk said:
Also what would be a good way to separate the room into flowering and veg since there would be two different light cycles going on.

Two grow tents would be the easiest and fastest way to get that going.

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

OfflineJeff Funk
 User Gallery

Re: Starting bedroom grow in apt. Ventilation and lighting question [Re: TomCollins] * 1
    #423047 - 05/24/10 09:04 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Yes there is a window in the room. Are there any grow tents out there reasonably priced? Most I have seen around in stores are about $1000. I was thinking maybe vegging in the closet and flowering in the room itself. Just gotta figure out how to make the closet light tight.

--------------------
@Str8dankgenetics

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Starting bedroom grow in apt. Ventilation and lighting question [Re: TomCollins]
    #423049 - 05/24/10 09:09 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Spency said:
Quote:

Jeff Funk said:
Also what would be a good way to separate the room into flowering and veg since there would be two different light cycles going on.

Two grow tents would be the easiest and fastest way to get that going.

But that doesn't really solve the problem of needing to vent externally. He would still just be blowing the air into the bedroom

--------------------

OfflineJeff Funk
 User Gallery

Re: Starting bedroom grow in apt. Ventilation and lighting question [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #423050 - 05/24/10 09:14 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I kinda wanted to stay away from tents, since it's a whole 12X12 room with closet to work with. I was thinking maybe building a room inside the room. Maybe with 2 x 4's and visqueen(spelling?) Which would save me some bucks. I will be using 1000 watt lights for both veg, and bloom. For ventilation maybe I will just have to cut part of the drywall out and save it, so it can be put back in later somehow.

--------------------
@Str8dankgenetics

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #423052 - 05/24/10 09:18 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Building a room in the room would definitely work, but honestly it wouldn't solve many problems. You're still going to need to cut a hole in the ceiling or wall in order to exhaust the hot air so I think you should probably just go for it and then take some time to patch everything up when you leave. That would be the cheaper/easier route by far.

For the record, they sell drywall patch kits that are extremely easy to use. You can patch the exhaust hole with one of those, and all the holes from hanging lights and fans can be spackled over in literally only 20 minutes

--------------------

OfflineJeff Funk
 User Gallery

Re: Starting bedroom grow in apt. Ventilation and lighting question [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #423054 - 05/24/10 09:34 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Harry thats the info I was looking for. Most of my skills are with computers, and art utensils. So I have limited experience in home repair and improvement. Good thing I have a trustworthy buddy to do all that stuff. I just gotta tell him what I need. Now I would have to figure out a way to make a ceiling for the room in inside "the room". Something light tight that would support my light. Any ideas Harry? Maybe a visqueen ceiling with a chain through it to hold the light which is attached to the bedroom ceiling above.

*The room I would build wouldn't be the same height as the actual room itself, maybe a few feet shorter.

--------------------
@Str8dankgenetics

Edited by Jeff Funk (05/24/10 09:42 AM)

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #423056 - 05/24/10 09:35 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

If you live in Colorado then I would be more than willing to help you out

--------------------

OfflineJeff Funk
 User Gallery

#423058 - 05/24/10 09:46 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

No I wish! I'm in Michigan, a lot more than a hop, skip, and jump away.

--------------------
@Str8dankgenetics

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #423060 - 05/24/10 09:49 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

ahh yes, you guys have some interesting marijuana laws right now. Looks like it has potential to move in a very good direction.

As for the building, just post tons of pics and we can guide you all the way through. Now as for your need of venting your grow room air out of that room, check out this thread on how to make covert exhaust ports so that the apartment managers won't even notice you did anything.

http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/409583

--------------------

OfflineJeff Funk
 User Gallery

#423065 - 05/24/10 10:17 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I hope it moves in a good direction. With only a 12plant limit it's hard to keep moms, and only being able to have 2.5 ounces at a time is kinda rough. I haven't read much on Colorados laws, but how they treating you? Thanks for the link, I will be reading that as soon as my son takes a nap.

--------------------
@Str8dankgenetics

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #423066 - 05/24/10 10:20 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

We have a 6 plant limit and only 2 ounces which as you know is bullshit. 2 ounces from 6 plants? who sucks that bad at growing? :lol:

They also just passed HB1284 which I'm thinking might be the worst thing ever. it basically shuts down mom and pop dispensaries and encourages wal-mart like megastores :frown:

--------------------

OfflineJeff Funk
 User Gallery

#423090 - 05/24/10 11:45 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Wow! Now that really sucks! Wonder why they so against mom and pop. I was considering opening a dispensary here later on if the law allows.

--------------------
@Str8dankgenetics

OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
    #423400 - 05/24/10 06:13 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah the new MMJ bill in Colorado is some bull shit. It leaves out a lot of subjects. Its not very well thought out.

Have you ever considered a window AC unit? It requires minimal home improvement and a less sketchy appearance. It extracts air from the room and replaces it with cool air. You wouldn't even need to vent anything just keep your air circulating through your hoods if they are vented.

Unless you have AC in your unit all ready.

Honestly I wouldn't change a thing to the apartment. I live in a triplex and I was going to saw a hole in a steel vent pipe that ran through the house and out the top of the attic so I could move stuff in there, a few days later my landlord said they were replacing the roof. I pretty much could have been fucked right there if I went ahead and jumped into action. I am lucky though because while they were replacing the attic roof they installed a vent with a 8' hole, now I don't even have to change a thing.

Pretty much the point is don't fuck up your apartment or house unless you own it or know how to revert it back without being noticed. They could take your security deposit and never give it back, and maybe even press charges because its not your property.

Edited by Dephect (05/24/10 06:21 PM)

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Starting bedroom grow in apt. Ventilation and lighting question [Re: Dephect]
    #423406 - 05/24/10 06:45 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

the problem with an AC unit though is that it doesn't do anything for smell. Once you're flowering an entire bedroom you're really going to want a carbon filter or they're going to be smelling your shit miles away

--------------------

OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
    #423430 - 05/24/10 08:07 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Which is why you could possibly circulate the air in the room with a few carbon scrubbers and maybe put a smaller ozone generator in there? Also maybe you could line the outside of the intake of the AC with some material to filter out the smell.

More so if your building a room inside of a room. You can vent out of the rooms through the scrubbers into the room and then vent outside using the AC.

Just pondering. You can rig it :smile:

OfflineJeff Funk
 User Gallery

Re: Starting bedroom grow in apt. Ventilation and lighting question [Re: Dephect]
    #423443 - 05/24/10 08:36 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Well I went by the complex again today, and decided on a different unit. The new unit wood put a laundry room right outside my closet in my master bedroom. I would be building my smaller room inside the laundry room and exhausting thru the dryer vent(air being ran through 55ib scrubber first). The unit has central-air so I guess my new dilemma would be bringing cold air in during the winter months. Maybe just using one of those portable room a/c units? Plus I'm thinking about the time I would need cold air in the room would be at the end of the summer going into winter when they are on sale. No need for it now since central-air would be on during the summer.

--------------------
@Str8dankgenetics

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #423458 - 05/24/10 09:04 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

well during the winter why don't you just open a window?

--------------------

OfflineJeff Funk
 User Gallery

#423729 - 05/25/10 11:56 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

No window in the room im using.

--------------------
@Str8dankgenetics

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies