Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
Spider Mites
    #414431 - 05/09/10 09:53 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Any way to for sure get rid of them? Give me all the steps to preventing any further outbreak. I am spraying with Ed Rosenthal's Zero Tolerance 1-2 times a day. They are pretty isolated on a few plants but any help would be well appreciated.

Thanks.

Here we go. Even though its a soiless medium I would still consider it soil.

Soil Growers:
1. Are you growing from seed or clones? Clones
2. How old are your plants? 2 Months
3. How tall are your plants? 10"
4. What size containers are they planted in? 3.75ltr
5. What is your soil mix? Roots Organic CoCo Hydroponic Soiless Medium
6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use? When the soil is dry, filtered pH treated
7. What is the pH of your water? 6
8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio? FloraNova, its down stairs
9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything? Nope
10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights") 4' 2 Tube T12
11. How close are your lights to the plants? about 6" - 8"
12. What size is your grow space in square feet? Its not really in a grow space
13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space? 75
14. What is the pH of the soil? 6
15. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space? SPIDER MITES
16. How much experience do you have growing? 2 years

Edited by Dephect (05/09/10 01:01 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Spider Mites [Re: Dephect]
    #414537 - 05/09/10 12:45 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Will Phytoseiulus persimilis attack your plant after they kill off all the spider mites? Or would you go with a pyrethum spray? I really need some help.

OfflineDANK
VERB CONJUGATeR+HERB INHALATOR
Male User Gallery

#414576 - 05/09/10 01:59 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

lady bugs bra

OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Spider Mites [Re: DANK]
    #414645 - 05/09/10 03:02 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Lady bugs don't work, its not a enclose space, they fly away. I was looking more into predator mites aKa Phytoseiulus persimilis

http://www.northwestwigglers.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.product_details&product_id=139&Itemid=68

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #414661 - 05/09/10 03:26 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Predator mites work okay.  But I have found that I have to keep reapplying them throughout the grow, which doesn't make sense to me since they should breed.

If your still in vegetative then I would recommend using both Pyrethrum bombs and something like Azamax or Neem oil.  If your going to do this it's imperative to make sure that you repeat the dose every 5 day for at least 3-4 applications.  Doing this makes sure to kill the eggs that are hatching after you have applied your product.

Personally I alternate.  I do 2 Pyrethrum bombs 5 days apart.  Then the next week I spray the plants down with Azamax twice 3 days apart.  This way the mites don't have the opportunity to build a resistance to one method.

And then I save predator mites for flowering since you shouldn't be using the previously mentioned products during that phase of growth.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Spider Mites [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #414766 - 05/09/10 08:57 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Word. They are in veg, there my moms so I might just get some more spray. The Pyrethrum and Azamax should be at the grow store right?

The crazy thing is the flowering plant under the HPS didn't get infested, only the two moms under the fluorescent.

Is there a sure fire way to get it to the point where I don't have to use any insect control again? Or will I have to start over on my bonsai moms. I just want to know this now because if that's the case I might just chop them, clean the shit out of my space, actually build a veg tent and start over with some Durban Poison seeds. I got some clones that look like they have not been touched yet. No webs yet on them, just the moms.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #414768 - 05/09/10 09:01 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Well, it is possible to get rid of them completely.  But you will more than likely end up getting another infestation again anyways.  Stick with your moms and do what I said about repeating the dose every3-5 days and that should take care of it. 

I would put money that your other plants have them too and you just haven't found them yet. 

Yes your grow store will have both those products.  FYI all Azamax is, is the chemicals found within Neem oil that cause the mites to die.  So if money is an issue just go with the neem oil.  Otherwise so with Azamax, it's spendy though.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
    #414771 - 05/09/10 09:04 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Word, I will go get some spray. Do you get a lot of infestations? It gets bad here in Colorado.

I started spraying the clones with Zero Tolerance as soon as I saw first sign on the moms. I know that Zero Tolerance doesn't really kill them off, but I have not seen webs on the clones and have been keeping them separate from the moms.

Money is a little tight at this point but its worth it, I need to save my garden. I hate bugs that ruin the things I love.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #414775 - 05/09/10 09:08 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Well I was doing fine until I got some clones from a friend.  And imagine that they had mites on them.  Ever since then I've been battling them.  Under control now though.  I have no experience with Zero Tolerance, so can't really give you any advice on that.  I'd go with the neem oil or Azamax though, it's proven.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
    #414780 - 05/09/10 09:14 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah. Mine came from Eggplants that I bought from a nursery that is all greenhouses. I brought them home I went over to my plants the next day and the Island Sweet Skunk mom was covered in webs, first time I have ever had them in two years of growing, but I instantly knew they were mites. They are white mites, I have seen them crawling on my black pot. Sometimes they look like a dark brown though. Recently I haven't seen any crawling though, it kind of sucks. I feel like they never go away.

OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
    #414783 - 05/09/10 09:18 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Also what about Spider Mite Destroyers? Stethorus punctillum?

http://www.naturescontrol.com/spidermitedestroyers.html

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #414796 - 05/09/10 09:37 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Nah, they don't go from nothing to webs in one day man.  You probably brought them in on your clothes or shoes.  It takes them being there for a good couple of weeks to breed enough to cover your plant in webbing.

Never heard of spider mite destroyers.  I've only used spider mite "predators".

http://www.territorialseed.com/product/5412/175

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlineand0rr

#414872 - 05/10/10 12:06 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I had huge spider mite problems my last grow. Every single plant completely infested and dying. Webs on every leaf, top to bottom. I hung up one $6.00 No Pest Strip from home depot (You have to get the HOT SHOT no pest strips, the other ones don't seem to work as well) in my grow room, poof. They were gone. Never to return. Haven't seen them since. I swear by those things.

They're active for a long time (2 months or something like that), and spider mite eggs only take 3 days to hatch. So just leave it hanging, the eggs will hatch and mites will die before they lay eggs again. Take down the strip a week after you notice the mites are gone, no more mites!

Edited by and0rr (05/10/10 12:16 AM)

OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Spider Mites [Re: and0rr]
    #415091 - 05/10/10 11:15 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

It would make sense that I tracked them in, I just tilled my garden and have been doing a lot of outside work lately. I just didn't notice the webs one night before I went to bed (I am pretty observatory of my plants) and woke up to some webs on some leaves.

Spider Mite Destroyers - http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/NE/spider_mite_destroyer.html

From what I hear they are more efficient, yet more expensive versions of predators, they eat eggs and they eat mites and they fly to find more infestations. They are like $80 for 50 of them. It just takes like 3 weeks to get them going.

Ill go check out the grow store.

Are the pest strips bad for animals? I have 3 cats and a dog so I have to look out for my children. They might have also tracked the mites in. I just don't want any bugs in my house period, so if the strips work I might go get them since they are cheap.

OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
    #415093 - 05/10/10 11:33 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Found some other ideas.

Confirm or not?

-- It has been suggested that spraying plants with a 1:1 mixture of alcohol and water will kill spider mites on contact. Rubbing alcohol, like any alcohol for any creature, is poisonous in high dosages, and it evaporates quickly doing little damage to the plant it’s been sprayed on. Some people suggest a 1:3 mixture of rubbing alcohol to water, but the strong the mixture, the more certain you are to get as many mites as possible. Make sure to cover the entire plant, focusing on the bottoms of the leaves where spider mites tend to hang out.

Look at how sick this is lol. These people are evil. :laugh:
Phytoseiulus persimilis is referred to by the Cornell University Extension office as “ one of the mainstays of greenhouse integrated pest management.”-- The great thing about this species of mite is that it cleans up after itself once the spider mite population is gone—cannibalizing on each other, thus decimating their own populations. --

http://www.getridofthings.com/get-rid-of-spider-mites.htm

Edited by Dephect (05/10/10 11:34 AM)

Offlineand0rr

#415300 - 05/10/10 03:33 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

You're actually not supposed to hang the strips in rooms you spend more than 4 hours a day in.  They're safe, just not prolonged exposure.  I have dogs also, so I just kept the room closed up while the strip did its work.

When I hung one up, the mites were dead the next day. So i just left it hanging for a week to make sure all the eggs were dead too. After that I took it down and put it in an air tight ziplock to save for later use. Gave the plants a nice bath to wash off all the webs and called it good.  I haven't seen the mites since, and seeing as I only used the strip for a week it'll last for many more uses. a $6 purchase literally saved my entire crop.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds