Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinehopanshrubman
The Rabble Rouser

Light Shopping Today.
    #378772 - 03/05/10 11:49 AM (14 years, 27 days ago)

My budget is like 40 bucks. I am thinking about going to walmart and just buying like....6-8 CFL's and maybe two strip floros to put on the sides of the box.

What do ya'll think I should do with forty dollars ?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Light Shopping Today. [Re: hopanshrubman]
    #378777 - 03/05/10 12:18 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

strip fluoros are a complete waste of money IMO, barely any light output for their size. Just put all that money towards as many CFL's as you can.

--------------------

Invisiblewishcouldeletethis
Female User Gallery

Re: Light Shopping Today. *DELETED* [Re: hopanshrubman]
    #378778 - 03/05/10 12:21 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

Post deleted by lampshadehelmet

Reason for deletion: f

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
Re: Light Shopping Today. [Re: wishcouldeletethis]
    #378782 - 03/05/10 12:36 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

Security lights see here:

my plants are doing amazing by the way:

http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/369303#369303

Any questions ask. You can get 200 watts...1 100 watt MH and 1 100 watt HPS or just uses 2 HPS and CFLS like I chose to do.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

OfflineBuddy Guy
Gone Rogue

Loc: Unknown
    #378784 - 03/05/10 12:49 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

hopanshrubman said:

Get a copy of MARIJUANA Horticulture. The INDOOR/OUTDOOR MEDICAL Growers bible. Written by: Buddy Guy.........

Just kidding. Written by: Jorge Cervantes.:wink:

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Light Shopping Today. [Re: Buddy Guy]
    #378787 - 03/05/10 01:11 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

Buddy Guy said:
Quote:

hopanshrubman said:

Get a copy of MARIJUANA Horticulture. The INDOOR/OUTDOOR MEDICAL Growers bible. Written by: Buddy Guy.........

That book is a bigger waste of money than trying to grow using christmas lights

--------------------

OfflineBuddy Guy
Gone Rogue

Re: Light Shopping Today. [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #378797 - 03/05/10 01:30 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
Quote:

Buddy Guy said:
Quote:

hopanshrubman said:

That book is a bigger waste of money than trying to grow using christmas lights

DAMN, Harry.  "Trying to grow with Christmas lights."? You sound like a man of experience.:wink: Just kidding  :calledajoke: . That actually sounds funny when you say it out loud:laugh2:
Eh. It's a decent place to start. What books in your opinion are not an even bigger waste of money, as you say? I love marijuana literature.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Light Shopping Today. [Re: Buddy Guy]
    #378800 - 03/05/10 01:34 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

Not from experience but I've seen others try it... needless to say with little success :wink:

As for the best literature; the internet, cause it's interactive :grin:

I've just found through experience that Jorge is dead wrong on like 40% of the shit in that book :shrug:

--------------------

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Emerald City Flag
    #378829 - 03/05/10 04:07 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

I'm your man....

If Home Depot is consistent around the country, this should cover the CFL side of your $40 limit....

On sale at Home Depot right now are these 2 packs of 5000K color temp 27 watt CFL's for $2!!!!! That's right, a $1 a bulb a piece. That's 27 watts of light for a frickin' dollar!!! Its InSaNe!!!

Here's the model/package of the 2-bulb 27 watters Super-Deal (dun! dun! DUN!)....

I just hope they are on sale in your area, because I checked on Thrusday, and they still are in mine (Pacific Northwest).

And if you need cheap cords and adatpers for the socket, buy these (they are pictured in the bottom-half of the screen, the bulb adapters are the white things in the middle-top)....

^The cords are $1 each for a 6ft cord. The adapters are about $2.50. Total to run one 26 watt bulb: $4.50 ($1 for cord + $2.5 for adapter + $1 for bulb).

>>> For $40, you could buy enough CFL's (and adapters) for 240 real watts of light ($40 / $4.50 = 8.88 <> 8.88 * 27 watts per bulb = 240 watts).

But, you're going to have to use A LOT of bulbs in a small area, and you're gunna need some power strips (not included in price), so its likely more like 200 real watts to account for the extra power strips.

For the budget grower, this is about as good as it gets. Oh yeah, don't forget a 24-hour light timer and a 6-outlet power strip, cause you're gunna need those too. :wink:

***One More Thing: If you want to improve the efficency by adding some reflectors onto the lights without spending a lot, go to the wire section and ask for bare copper wire (its pictured in the photo above). Its dirt cheap, like $0.25 a foot or something. Get like 10 ft or so. Then, so to the adhevsives section and ask for a roll of sticky duct tape (About $5 a roll).

Then, go to a super market and buy a roil of tin/alumimum foil (about $4). What you will do is tape pieces of the bare copper wire to the bulb body itself in the sahpe of those yellow shop lights with the metal cage on them (but yours won't need a metal cage). So, you will make a upside-down ice cream cone shape (if bulbs are vertical) or half-shell shaped (if bulbs will be horizontal) reflector frame, and then put some tin foil on the *inside* of the copper frame (closet to bulb) and tape it down with the duct tape from the back (on the copper wire frame).

That will improve the efficiency by adding much needed "focused" light. Inverted never put any sort of reflectors for his 4 CFL's for his grow in this thread, which kinda makes me think "hmmm....I wonder why a T.S. would do that. It doesn't make sense.....". But I think it would help the efficiency A LOT then without it.

Good Luck fellow Budgeteer!
:thumbup:
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

Edited by TrueHerbCrystal (03/05/10 04:32 PM)

Offlinehopanshrubman
The Rabble Rouser

Re: Light Shopping Today. [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #378934 - 03/05/10 10:20 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

So I just bought a 6 pack of 26 watt CFL's (1750 lumens per light) and a 3 pack of 23 watt's.

Will this suffice to at least start vegging plants?

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

#378937 - 03/05/10 10:28 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

Hell yeah!

How many plants do you have? I think its like 100 watts minimum per plant per square foot (for more mature ones, of course). For young ones, I think you could get away with 75 watts per plant. So, about 3 bulbs per plant.

How far along are the plants you vegging?

Also, did you find that awesome Home Depot deal?

~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Light Shopping Today. [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #378974 - 03/06/10 01:33 AM (14 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
Not from experience but I've seen others try it... needless to say with little success :wink:

I've just found through experience that Jorge is dead wrong on like 40% of the shit in that book :shrug:

I gotta completely disagree.  If one is at least a little bit intelligent I think you can extract quite a bit of good information from that book.  It was what got me started, well that and over grow.  Of course you can't just pick up a book read it and grow the perfect crop.  It take actual real world application.  Then seeing for yourself how things may differ. 

But in all I think that for people who aren't really good at researching around on the internet, and I feel like we see quite a few, that this book can lay a lot of things out for them in pretty easy to use format.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlinehopanshrubman
The Rabble Rouser

#378978 - 03/06/10 03:04 AM (14 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

TrueHerbCrystal said:
Hell yeah!

How many plants do you have? I think its like 100 watts minimum per plant per square foot (for more mature ones, of course). For young ones, I think you could get away with 75 watts per plant. So, about 3 bulbs per plant.

How far along are the plants you vegging?

Also, did you find that awesome Home Depot deal?

~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

I have not even started germinating yet. How many plants max would I be able to start vegging do you think? I am planning on doubling the CFL setup I have now on my next paycheck for flowering stages.

Offlinehopanshrubman
The Rabble Rouser

#378979 - 03/06/10 03:11 AM (14 years, 26 days ago)

Actually I have my own idea of how I am going to set up my added CFL's once I start flowering.

Basically its going to be a strip of 6 CFLs on top in the center. 4 in each corner (higher wattage) and then 4 on each side of the box. On the sides about halfway up the height of the box. These will also be higher wattage.

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

#378981 - 03/06/10 03:37 AM (14 years, 26 days ago)

Sounds good to me, but I would recomend seperate cords for each bulb because the spacing on power strips is tight, and all won't be used with the size of those CFL bulbs.

Also, try to point the horizontal spiral part of the bulb toward the plants, because most of the light comes from side tubing part, not the front-end of it.

For an example, here's what I did for my set-up....

^All the bulbs are horizontal to the plant, maximizing light output. This is likely the best orientation to get the most light out of a CFL bulb.

Use reflectors whenever possible. If you're tight on money, you can use copper wire (used as a frame), tin/alumimum foil (the reflector part) and a roll of duct tape (to keep everything down). Basically you would use the power strip as a frame and build a reflector on top of it using the 3 supplies I mentioned.

If you need any help with the building of the reflectors, just let me know. I got ya.

Your Semi-Handy man
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

OfflineBuddy Guy
Gone Rogue

Re: Light Shopping Today. [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #378983 - 03/06/10 04:03 AM (14 years, 26 days ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:

I gotta completely disagree.  If one is at least a little bit intelligent I think you can extract quite a bit of good information from that book.  It was what got me started, well that and over grow.  Of course you can't just pick up a book read it and grow the perfect crop.  It take actual real world application.  Then seeing for yourself how things may differ. 

But in all I think that for people who aren't really good at researching around on the internet, and I feel like we see quite a few, that this book can lay a lot of things out for them in pretty easy to use format.

Very nicely articulated. I totally agree.

As for Mr.hopanshrubman :goodluck: to you sir and enjoy your first grow. May your ventures bring you much fruit and wisdom. Sounds like TrueHerbCrystal's got your back. I apologize for my contribution in getting off the topic of your post. I feel that was rude.:peace:

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

#379001 - 03/06/10 06:43 AM (14 years, 26 days ago)

Quote:

TrueHerbCrystal said:
Sounds good to me, but I would recomend seperate cords for each bulb because the spacing on power strips is tight, and all won't be used with the size of those CFL bulbs.

Also, try to point the horizontal spiral part of the bulb toward the plants, because most of the light comes from side tubing part, not the front-end of it.

For an example, here's what I did for my set-up....

^All the bulbs are horizontal to the plant, maximizing light output. This is likely the best orientation to get the most light out of a CFL bulb.

Use reflectors whenever possible. If you're tight on money, you can use copper wire (used as a frame), tin/alumimum foil (the reflector part) and a roll of duct tape (to keep everything down). Basically you would use the power strip as a frame and build a reflector on top of it using the 3 supplies I mentioned.

If you need any help with the building of the reflectors, just let me know. I got ya.

Your Semi-Handy man
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

How much did that cost you? And how much trouble was it? I have 200watts hps security lights with reflectors for 40 dollars with minor work...

And 2 70 watt cfls with reflectors for like 40 more...

Thats a goddamn fire hazard

--------------------
Suck my balls America

OfflineInbred_gimp
Herb Connesuir
Male User Gallery

Loc: Beyond the wall of sleep
Re: Light Shopping Today. [Re: mhbound]
    #379008 - 03/06/10 07:39 AM (14 years, 26 days ago)

Cheap HPS= streetlight

--------------------

Offlinehopanshrubman
The Rabble Rouser

Re: Light Shopping Today. [Re: Inbred_gimp]
    #379080 - 03/06/10 11:25 AM (14 years, 26 days ago)

Thank you guys so much for all the help!

I am going to go to home depot to get a power strip and I guess some adapters? Or something? I don't really know exactly what I need to get the lights plugged in and hanging inside my grow room

:[

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

#379121 - 03/06/10 02:25 PM (14 years, 26 days ago)

let me help you dude its a little more complex than that...i didnt make myself real clear in this thread but ill hang around and answer questions as you go.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder