Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinehopanshrubman
The Rabble Rouser

Re: Light Shopping Today. [Re: mhbound]
    #379179 - 03/06/10 05:10 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

mhbound said:
let me help you dude its a little more complex than that...i didnt make myself real clear in this thread but ill hang around and answer questions as you go.

Well. I just need to be able to hang up my lights and I am set. I just need sockets that will plug into a power strip right?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Light Shopping Today. [Re: hopanshrubman]
    #379273 - 03/06/10 08:46 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Yep, simple as that

--------------------

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Emerald City Flag
    #379291 - 03/06/10 09:58 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

hopanshrubman said:

Thank you guys so much for all the help!

I am going to go to home depot to get a power strip and I guess some adapters? Or something? I don't really know exactly what I need to get the lights plugged in and hanging inside my grow room.

- Your welcome dude.

As for those adapters for the bulbs, they look like this (top of photo)...

^They cost like $2.50 each. They screw directly onto the threads of the bulb, and plug into the power strip with 2-prongs (no ground prong).

And don't forget to put some reflectors on the bulbs.

---------------------------------------
Quote:

mhbound said:
How much did that cost you? And how much trouble was it? I have 200watts hps security lights with reflectors for 40 dollars with minor work...

And two 70 watt cfls with reflectors for like 40 more...

Thats a goddamn fire hazard

- Cost me bout $70 total, not including tools like a power drill and a handsaw. But the thing is, I have enough left-over parts to make a second one with 4 bulb set-up, so I would say about $40 just for this one.

- Wasn't too much trouble, expect cutting the wood took liek forever (only had a handsaw). It took about 6 hours straight to complete it, but it was worth doing it right!

- So wait, you bought 200 watts of HPS light & reflectors for only $40?! How the hell did you pull that off? Did you have to resort to stealing? I mean, if you're going to grow something illegal, might as well do something illegal to do it. (nah, that's bad morals, don't do that!).

Also, what about cooling? My understanding is that HPS lights need a lot more cooling than CFL's, especially in the 200 watt range (maybe even the 100 watt range, but I can't be sure).

I'm going to have to see it to believe it mhbound. If you did it legally, I wish I could of known this earlier; I would of never done CFL's in the first place if I could just use an HPS. But, the cooling required to run it would just run up costs, and with only one plant growing right now, a HPS seems like overkill.

_ As for the fire-hazard, its been running since mid-Febuary, and no problems yet. I had to put a PC fan on top the frame and a 12" osill. fan on the ground because it was getting toasty up there, but its fine now. Temps are usually 79-81F.

~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

Edited by TrueHerbCrystal (03/11/10 11:10 PM)

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
Re: Light Shopping Today. [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #379468 - 03/07/10 12:59 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

200 Watts of HPS isn't going to be quite as hot as you would think THC.

I was relatively surprised to find that the hype surrounding the heat that HID's put off is exaggerated.  I used to use a 175w Metal Halide in a box smaller than 2x2x3, and I only needed a small amount of circulation in the box to keep things reasonable.  My 150w HPS isn't all that hot either.  I mean it's almost the same as my veg box (6 CFL's) but it's just more concentrated than the heat of the CFL's.  My circulation fan just died 2 days ago and my small PC extractor fan is enough to keep everything just fine, and around 80 now.  It was 72 with the 4" circulation fan...

I also suggested going the security light route, not to mention you can have it remote ballasted and it will take up less space, and be easier to cool.

But to answer your question, I veg up to 15 plants until sexing in a box that is 18"x22"x36" with (2)-42w and (4)-30w and am able to get the same results that I used to with my Metal Halide (gave to GF for her grow :wink:)

These were vegged in that small box with those lights I just listed.

Culled the males... Beautiful CFL ladies

Keep in mind I can only fit 6 vegged females in there, but I can start 15 and cull the males to make up for the growing size of the plants.

:happyweed:

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
Re: Light Shopping Today. [Re: Inverted]
    #379516 - 03/07/10 02:32 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

but you have to take the ballast out or it will create too much heat in the box. plus grounding it just small things that turn big things

--------------------
Suck my balls America

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

#379646 - 03/07/10 07:55 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Inverted said:
I also suggested going the security light route, not to mention you can have it remote ballasted and it will take up less space, and be easier to cool.

I know that is what I said.

--------------------

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

#379769 - 03/08/10 12:54 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

oh sorry, stoned

--------------------
Suck my balls America

Offlinehopanshrubman
The Rabble Rouser

#380131 - 03/08/10 03:04 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Would I be able to make reflectors out if pipe cleaner and aluminum foil?

I am picking up the supplies on wednesday for my lights, any tips on how I should go about hanging them? I already know the setup...I think I might draw up an example to show you guys.

Also, a friend of mine gave me a bottle of this...said he used it and it helped him a lot

http://www.indoor-fountains.com/greengreenbo.html

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

#380145 - 03/08/10 03:22 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

TrueHerbCrystal said:
hopanshrubman said:

Thank you guys so much for all the help!

I am going to go to home depot to get a power strip and I guess some adapters? Or something? I don't really know exactly what I need to get the lights plugged in and hanging inside my grow room.

- Your welcome dude.

As for those adapters for the bulbs, they look like this (top of photo)...

^They cost like $2.50 each. They screw directly onto the threads of the bulb, and plug into the power strip with 2-prongs (no ground prong).

And don't forget to put some reflectors on the bulbs.

---------------------------------------
Quote:

mhbound said:
How much did that cost you? And how much trouble was it? I have 200watts hps security lights with reflectors for 40 dollars with minor work...

And two 70 watt cfls with reflectors for like 40 more...

Thats a goddamn fire hazard

- Cost me bout $70 total, not including tools like a power drill and a handsaw. But the thing is, I have enough left-over parts to make a second one with 4 bulb set-up, so I would say about $40 just for this one.

- Wasn't too much trouble, expect cutting the wood took liek forever (only had a handsaw). It took about 6 hours straight to complete it, but it was worth doing it right!

- So wait, you bought 200 watts of HPS light & reflectors for only $40?! How the hell did you pull that off? Did you have to resort to stealing? I mean, if you're going to grow something illegal, might as well do something illegal to do it. (nah, that's bad morals, don't do that!).

Also, what about cooling? My understanding is that HPS lights need a lot more cooling than CFL's, especially in the 200 watt range (maybe even the 100 watt range, but I can't be sure).

I'm going to have to see it to believe it mhbound. If you did it legally, I wish I could of known this earlier; I would of never done CFL's in the first place if I could just use an HPS. But, the cooling required to run it would just run up costs, and with only one plant growing right now, a HPS seems like overkill.

_ As for the fire-hazard, its been running since mid-Febuary, and no problems yet. I had to put a PC fan on top the frame and a 12" osill. fan on the ground because it was getting toasty up there, but its fine now. Temps are usually 79-81F.

~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

I'm too high and I have a deadline on this project so I can't find the exact link but if you remind me in a couple of hours I'll find it for you......but here is kind of what it is

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250503902714&rvr_id=&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=WVS%3F&GUID=c756efc01260a0b583e16ce1ffcb9249&itemid=250503902714&ff4=263602_263622

Mine were cheaper and I removed the glass and they make the perfect reflector:

http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/352355#352355

Thats my current grow I'm doing with shit from around the house...Though I did buy the lights...I found them online for 100w hps or mh for 25 dollars I think it was...And with a little work like I did above in that thread you can have a remote ballast setup and replacement bulbs are like 10 dollars.

Just remind me if you want some help and I'll find the link and help you..It may be scary since it is some wiring involved and you should be but its very simple..Nothing to worry about as long as you follow a few simple rules.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

#380189 - 03/08/10 04:25 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

hopanshrubman said:
Would I be able to make reflectors out if pipe cleaner and aluminum foil?

I am picking up the supplies on wednesday for my lights, any tips on how I should go about hanging them? I already know the setup...I think I might draw up an example to show you guys.

Also, a friend of mine gave me a bottle of this...said he used it and it helped him a lot

http://www.indoor-fountains.com/greengreenbo.html

for CFL's or a small HID you can make your own reflectors out of old aluminum soda cans carefully cut up, and lots of duct tape... :wink:

Edit- although don't rely on tape around heat sources, it will just turn to goop and won't stick.  I would actually probably use super glue to make them, plus the curvature you choose will stay unlike w/ tape.

--------------------

Offlinehopanshrubman
The Rabble Rouser

#380211 - 03/08/10 04:44 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Sick. Thats awesome because I have shitloads of cans laying around! Thanks a lot man :laugh:

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

#380439 - 03/08/10 08:19 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Inverted said:
for CFL's or a small HID you can make your own reflectors out of old aluminum soda cans carefully cut up, and lots of duct tape... :wink:

Edit- although don't rely on tape around heat sources, it will just turn to goop and won't stick.  I would actually probably use super glue to make them, plus the curvature you choose will stay unlike w/ tape.

Oh yeah, I read a document about that here at the Growery. It was one of the first documents I read when I was researching grow lights.

Just found the document, its called: What are compact fluorescents and how can I use them for growing?

^Its got a great photo step-by-step instructions on how to make those simple soda can reflectors.

I thought about using them, but I decided to try make my own using wire and mylar sheeting, which is not 100% efficient, but its pretty good. :thumbup:

Good Luck with those Reflectors

~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

Offlinehihungry
Stranger
    #382101 - 03/11/10 06:31 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

i didnt c how to use a 100w hps bulb, what does the bulb go in? yhe sec light? isnt that around 100$

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Re: Light Shopping Today. [Re: hihungry]
    #382105 - 03/11/10 06:39 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

how old are you?

--------------------
Suck my balls America

Offlinehopanshrubman
The Rabble Rouser

#382121 - 03/11/10 06:56 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

mhbound said:
how old are you?

I'm 19.

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

#382132 - 03/11/10 07:06 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

i was talking about the guy above me he was like talking like a 5th grade girl on her mobile phone

--------------------
Suck my balls America

Offlinehopanshrubman
The Rabble Rouser

#382166 - 03/11/10 07:24 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Oh. My bad. Hahahaha.

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

#382174 - 03/11/10 07:27 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

That's weird, because I always thought you kinda sounded like that mhbound, but you know, with a male voice.

I mean your lack of periods and capital letters at the beginning of sentences reminds me of how some young, 18 year old girls used to text me...but at least I usually can understand what you are saying (keyword: usually). What hihungry was saying, who knows. Too high to type, I guess.

No Offense mhbound :peace:
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

#382178 - 03/11/10 07:30 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

none taken i just dont put a lot of effort in to small talk...if i need to get a point across i will :wink:

--------------------
Suck my balls America

Offlinehopanshrubman
The Rabble Rouser

#382181 - 03/11/10 07:33 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

FYI, guys, no bashing aloud in my threads. Ever. Just sayin.

Be nice :]

Anyways. I have some questions in my grow journal, would anyone be so nice as to help me out with em ;] ;]

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck