Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offline187
Stranger

Little worried about my girls
    #375501 - 02/28/10 07:01 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

(This is my first grow)

So my friend gave me some g13 haze seeds, and I vegged them for awhile...then I was wanting to clone them, but I didn't know what ones where males and females.  So I looked online about determing sex of the plants...and a lot of places said to switch the light for 2 weeks to 12/12 (they had been on 18/6) then you will see what ones are females, and then go ahead and switch the light back to 18/6 to continue vegging the plants.  Well I did this, and I told my friend and he said, its over man you cant switch back and veg them.  All the plants turned out to be females and I'm not ready to flower the plants so they are back on 18/6 for the last week or 2.  My friend forgot to tell me they where feminized seeds...I guess where i'm geting at is are my plants going to turn out ok?  Can I still clone them?  Keep them at 18/6?  Right now i'm freaking out about them turning into herms.

They still look great btw..  : /

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Little worried about my girls [Re: 187]
    #375533 - 02/28/10 07:20 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Yes you can put them back into vegetative cycle.  I would put them on a full 24/0 schedule though to be safe.  But yes this is also VERY stressful on them as well.  Yes you can still clone them once they get back into vegetative mode.

In the future, you can just be patient with new plants from seed.  There is no need to put them into flower to determine sex.  They will show you all on their own once they reach sexual maturity.  Do a search on here for pre-flowers.  There's all sorts of information on it.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineBuddy Guy
Gone Rogue

Loc: Unknown
Re: Little worried about my girls [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #375612 - 02/28/10 08:45 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Yes you can put them back into vegetative cycle.  I would put them on a full 24/0 schedule though to be safe.  But yes this is also VERY stressful on them as well.  Yes you can still clone them once they get back into vegetative mode.

In the future, you can just be patient with new plants from seed.  There is no need to put them into flower to determine sex.  They will show you all on their own once they reach sexual maturity.  Do a search on here for pre-flowers.  There's all sorts of information on it.

That's what I would say. Welcome to the growery!:rockon:

Offlinegibz
Stranger
    #375863 - 03/01/10 05:23 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

for what it is worth just let them bud ,takes too much time to turn them back to veg,unless you have the time ,and very stressfull on the plant ,get more seeds or clones from a good sorce start again,clone away but take 2 cuttings from each 1 this time ,1 to grow ,1 to see what ya got there so i mean bud 1 of the 2 cuttings !!from each plant ,and reap the rewards...........

OfflineCrusty Ass Bastard
Pheno Hunting

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Little worried about my girls [Re: gibz]
    #375905 - 03/01/10 08:51 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Got any pics by chance?

When you say you are not ready to flower, why is that exactly? Don't be so concerned about yield that plant health becomes second fiddle, because the yield doesn't materialize without a healthy plant. Re-vegging now (especially with fem seeds) sounds like a recipe for stress, stamen, etc.

If you do revert them I would use 24/0 like hawksapprentice said. Good luck.

--------------------
|

Skunk Train (Most Recent) | G13 Haze (Completed) | G13 Haze (Completed) | G13 Haze (Completed)
Cinnibis Rolls | Indoor Peppers

"The secret of improved plant breeding, apart from scientific knowledge, is love." -Luther Burbank

Offline187
Stranger

Re: Little worried about my girls [Re: Crusty Ass Bastard]
    #378289 - 03/04/10 05:51 AM (14 years, 28 days ago)

Here are some pics taken today of the plants.  It's been about 2-3 weeks of the revert and revegging at 18/6.  When I made the original post they had already been reverted for about 1.5-2 weeks or so.  I wish I had just cloned them..and then flowered the moms or something to find out what ones where females instead of doing a revert, but I didn't know that they could turn into herms that way :frown:.  Other than my freaking out about them turning into herms..the vegging seems to be going fine...the flowering has stoped and they are just growing like normal.  My question now is if it is ok to clone these?  Or should I order some new g13 haze fem seeds and start again.  I'm really paranoid about ordering seeds...so I really hope cloning these is an option.

OfflineBuddy Guy
Gone Rogue

#378291 - 03/04/10 06:12 AM (14 years, 28 days ago)

I am sorry your reverting project turned out this way for you. I am not a fan of reverting. Too much stress on plants, hormonally. Yeah don't freak out. Cloning them? My advice would be to go ahead and bud them. They will pollinate themselves. The seeds will be feminized and you will probably not have to order seeds for a long time. You could also trade some of your seeds for other strains with other cultivators and still yield smoke able bud. I hope this helps.:goodluck::peace:

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Little worried about my girls [Re: Buddy Guy]
    #378527 - 03/04/10 05:25 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

They will pollinate themselves. The seeds will be feminized and you will probably not have to order seeds for a long time.

Not neccessarily, chances are your seeds from this method will tend to produce more hermies.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Little worried about my girls [Re: coda]
    #378704 - 03/05/10 01:05 AM (14 years, 27 days ago)

And they will only pollinate themselves if they do turn hermie, which isn't guaranteed at all.  Don't listen to that advice.  It was very poor. 

I would wait a couple of more weeks to clone them just to let them get used to veg a little while longer.  Don't give up hope yet man.  Stick with them and see how it goes.  If they herm, oh well.  Then you try and obtain more clones or seeds from someone or order them and start again.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineBuddy Guy
Gone Rogue

#378719 - 03/05/10 06:39 AM (14 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

Quote:

They will pollinate themselves. The seeds will be feminized and you will probably not have to order seeds for a long time.

Not neccessarily, chances are your seeds from this method will tend to produce more hermies.

Not necessarily. But Necessarily. That is true. When a hermie pollinates itself it will pass that hermie trait off to its off spring thus your seeds WILL produce more hermies.
Quote:

And they will only pollinate themselves if they do turn hermie, which isn't guaranteed at all.  Don't listen to that advice.  It was very poor. 

I would wait a couple of more weeks to clone them just to let them get used to veg a little while longer.  Don't give up hope yet man.  Stick with them and see how it goes.  If they herm, oh well.  Then you try and obtain more clones or seeds from someone or order them and start again.

First of all. I never said "only" anything. You said "you would wait a couple more weeks to clone them.". Why? So you can get hermie clones? Laughable :laugh2: THIS, is not only poor advice. It contradicts Coda's principals against producing more hermies. You also said "If they herm, oh well.  Then you try and obtain more clones or seeds from someone or order them and start again." Did you even read what he posted? He said "I'm really paranoid about ordering seeds". Not all of us can go down the road and get some clones or seeds, get them off Craig's List, or trade with my buddies. You also said. "Just let them get use to veg a little while longer" that is good advice for plants that have gone from veg to flower. Back to veg. 6 weeks is a good rule of thumb..

My advice to Mr. 187 is do some research into The Breeding of Cannabis. Don't just throw them out yet. You have several opportunities with those hermie plants. From a breeders stand point.

Edited by Buddy Guy (03/05/10 07:40 AM)

Offline187
Stranger

#378991 - 03/06/10 04:30 AM (14 years, 26 days ago)

Will the clones from these plants turn out ok?  Or will they be kinda retarded sense they know they are females.

OfflineCrusty Ass Bastard
Pheno Hunting

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #379040 - 03/06/10 10:05 AM (14 years, 26 days ago)

Quote:

187 said:
Will the clones from these plants turn out ok?  Or will they be kinda retarded sense they know they are females.

They call it weed for a reason. It's a tough species and can make it through just about anything if you treat it with some care. Nobody is going to tell you clones from a re-vegged female will be ideal, but if they work for you right now thats all you need.

--------------------
|

Skunk Train (Most Recent) | G13 Haze (Completed) | G13 Haze (Completed) | G13 Haze (Completed)
Cinnibis Rolls | Indoor Peppers

"The secret of improved plant breeding, apart from scientific knowledge, is love." -Luther Burbank

OfflineBuddy Guy
Gone Rogue

#379413 - 03/07/10 10:40 AM (14 years, 25 days ago)

Quote:

187 said:

The clones will be fine. Just hermaphrodite clones. If I found myself in your position. There are a few things I would be considering considering. 1. I would let them go in veg for a few more weeks then go ahead and flower them. You will have bud you can smoke. No need to let all that time and effort go to waste. Granted it will not be prized sensimlla but it will still be fresh ganga. Grown your self and will still probably be better than most smoke you will be able to find on your market. If not the best smoke you have ever smoked. You will also have seed stock. Yes. Hermaphrodites pass on the hermaphrodite trait. You can handle this by breeding out the undesirables like plants that grow lanky, slow, and that grow out to be hermaphrodites. Plant many seeds. Grow them out to see what phenotypes they display.

One other thing I would consider if I found my self in your position. I would be collecting some of my hermaphrodites pollen. Cross with either your hermie clones or pass on to another gene pool. The reason I would do this is because this is how feminized seeds are cultivated. Marijuana carries ten pairs of chromosomes. The tenth pair determines sex. Represented by an X chromosome and a Y chromosome. Plants that have gone hermaphrodite, their tenth pair of chromosomes are both X thus a hermaphrodite's pollen will be female. Gather hermaphrodite's pollen. Pollinate it onto a flowering female. This how feminized are cultivated. Breeders also, commonly, stress their plants by fluctuating the light cycle intentionally. Much like you have done accidentilly. To make their plants go hermaphrodite.  Breeders also spray their plants with hormones to induce plants that are female or male to make them go hermie so that feminized seeds can be harvested. Ethylene is sprayed on females to make them produce stamen or go hermie. Spraying ethylene-inhibiting agents on males makes males produce pistols or go hermie.

Edited by Buddy Guy (03/07/10 03:44 PM)

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #379540 - 03/07/10 04:00 PM (14 years, 25 days ago)

Okay, stop assuming that these plants are gong to be hermies.  The plants have NOT thrown out male stamens at this point.  It is not a guarantee that they will at all.  We can't just assume that they will, nor should you be telling him that they will, just that it's a possibility that they could.  It's also a possibility that they wont.

187 go ahead and clone these.  Chances are that they will be just fine.  No guarantee of course, but it's not going to hurt them any to do this.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleSnurry
Cunt
Male

Loc: Flag
    #379800 - 03/08/10 03:08 AM (14 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Okay, stop assuming that these plants are gong to be hermies.  The plants have NOT thrown out male stamens at this point.  It is not a guarantee that they will at all.  We can't just assume that they will, nor should you be telling him that they will, just that it's a possibility that they could.  It's also a possibility that they wont.

187 go ahead and clone these.  Chances are that they will be just fine.  No guarantee of course, but it's not going to hurt them any to do this.

:greenthumb: sound advice. keep going.

--------------------
--->
200/~218 Days
It's all a bunch of fucking bribble!

OfflineBuddy Guy
Gone Rogue

#379805 - 03/08/10 04:22 AM (14 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:

Your right. I understood they were already hermie. Right now I am working with a small laptop screen and I smoke a lot. This is the second time this has happened. I will do better and read more carefully.

I wouldn't worry about anything. You are on a normal track. Grow em. Clone em. Bud em. Smoke em. Should be that simple. If your babies "were" turning out to be hermaphrodite. My advice would shred.:peace:. I apoligize for any confusion or negative feelings on caused on my behalf. I am here to help. Not harm.

InvisibleSnurry
Cunt
Male

Loc: Flag
    #379811 - 03/08/10 05:08 AM (14 years, 24 days ago)

Nah you probably just need to smoke more :awesomenod: don't feel bad for helping.

I haven't seen anyone around here talk about how feminized seed are made, have you tried it yourself or where'd you get that information?

Quote:

Buddy Guy said:
Ethylene is sprayed on females to make them produce stamen or go hermie. Spraying ethylene-inhibiting agents on males makes males produce pistols or go hermie.

I've actually heard something about this. At the local hydro shop they have a reasonably priced spray they claim will turn plants male. We thought the best it could do is kill male stamens on hermie plants, but if it can create pistils that's fucking badass, I'll have to try it on the next male I get.

--------------------
--->
200/~218 Days
It's all a bunch of fucking bribble!

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #380565 - 03/08/10 11:34 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

There's no negative feelings man.  I just wanted to make sure that this guy didn't chop down perfectly good plants. 

You tend to seem to know what your talking about.  It was all just mis-communication.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineBuddy Guy
Gone Rogue

#380621 - 03/09/10 04:45 AM (14 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

Snurry said:
Nah you probably just need to smoke more :awesomenod: don't feel bad for helping.

I haven't seen anyone around here talk about how feminized seed are made, have you tried it yourself or where'd you get that information?

Quote:

Buddy Guy said:
Ethylene is sprayed on females to make them produce stamen or go hermie. Spraying ethylene-inhibiting agents on males makes males produce pistols or go hermie.

I've actually heard something about this. At the local hydro shop they have a reasonably priced spray they claim will turn plants male. We thought the best it could do is kill male stamens on hermie plants, but if it can create pistils that's fucking badass, I'll have to try it on the next male I get.

I have read this information from several different sources. In fact this information can be found in Harry Ba11sach's favorite book. Jorge's Medical Grow Bible. As far as any expereince using this method:wink:
Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
There's no negative feelings man.  I just wanted to make sure that this guy didn't chop down perfectly good plants. 

You tend to seem to know what your talking about.  It was all just mis-communication.

If you "just wanted to make sure that this guy didn't chop down perfectly good plants.". Then clearly our aims where the same.

Do I "tend" or do I "seem" to know what I am talking about.:wink:
I can understand you being cautious of me. I have only been around on this forum for a couple of weeks and I am charging out of the gates like a runaway train(wreck). Let me say this. I do know what I am talking about. :smile: Give it time. I am like a beneficial fungus. I grow on you. Beneficially.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #380918 - 03/09/10 08:53 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

Yeah that was pretty shitty wording on my part.  Sorry about that.  No you seem to know what your talking about. 

But enough of this thread jacking.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offline187
Stranger

#381166 - 03/10/10 06:57 AM (14 years, 22 days ago)

Plants seem fine so far, They are geting taller and no signs of herming.  I think i'm going to have a friend get me some more g13 haze fem seeds, and veg them along with these, then flower these and clone the new plants.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck