Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblebEelzeBosS
Are my eyes red?

Ed Rosenthal on Stress-induced Herms...
    #740595 - 07/18/14 11:01 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Plants turn hermaphroditic in two ways. Some plants are programmed genetically as hermaphrodites. These plants will produce male flowers on female plants no matter what environmental situations they face. Other plants are induced to grow male flowers under stress conditions. Some plants may be more genetically predisposed to hermaphroditism under stress, but all plants may exhibit male flowers as a sign of stress created by growing conditions. This hermaphroditism is not genetic and does not affect the plant's progeny.

Ive read several times here that if you stress your plant into herming and it pollinates itself or your other plants the seeds they produce will be worthless because they'll likely end up herms as well.

Which is correct?

--------------------
:firecum:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinegrod31
Ranger
 User Gallery

Re: Ed Rosenthal on Stress-induced Herms... [Re: bEelzeBosS]
    #740602 - 07/18/14 12:09 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

much more likely to be herms, even more so when to itself then other plants
also depending on how its stressed ito changing its sex.

--------------------
DO NOT USE mushmagic.com- THEY LIE AND SELL DRUGS TO CHILDREN :thumbdown:
--------------------------------------------------
Back the tape up.  I need it again!
Let it roll!  Just as high as the fucker can go! 
And when it comes to that fantastic note
where the rabbit bites its own head off,
I want you to THROW THAT FUCKING
RADIO INTO THE TUB WITH ME!
    Not me.  It would blast you through
the wall stone dead in ten seconds and they'd make me explain.

Edited by grod31 (07/18/14 12:12 PM)

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #740611 - 07/18/14 01:03 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

bEelzeBosS said:
Quote:

Plants turn hermaphroditic in two ways. Some plants are programmed genetically as hermaphrodites. These plants will produce male flowers on female plants no matter what environmental situations they face. Other plants are induced to grow male flowers under stress conditions. Some plants may be more genetically predisposed to hermaphroditism under stress, but all plants may exhibit male flowers as a sign of stress created by growing conditions. This hermaphroditism is not genetic and does not affect the plant's progeny.

Ive read several times here that if you stress your plant into herming and it pollinates itself or your other plants the seeds they produce will be worthless because they'll likely end up herms as well.

Which is correct?

Old Ed is out of his mind when it comes to feminizing seeds. Very nice guy (we use to work together in Oakland teaching classes) but he thinks along the lines of Soma of Soma Seeds. Yes both methods work but one gives a ton of hermies.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Invisibleoeric mckenna
Pure Indica

Loc: Mars
Re: Ed Rosenthal on Stress-induced Herms... [Re: Magash]
    #740687 - 07/19/14 04:44 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

hey magash. pleasure to chat with you.
Have you guys noticed the difference between the male pollen sacks on buds and what I refer to as famale pollen sacks?? ( looks like little bananas or wax beans...)
I've noticed that with a true hermie having male pollen sacks on buds, they continue that trait but with seeds from the female pollen sacks, the seeds are female of course, but more importantly not herms.  I do believe they may be more sensitive to herm triggers though as sort of a genetic memory impression as a self pollinating survival mechanism.

--------------------
***Handing someone your life's work....in a single seed = :laugh: ***

HIGHER THAN A GEORGIA PINE

Oeric's Winter Grow Projects

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Ed Rosenthal on Stress-induced Herms... [Re: oeric mckenna] * 2
    #740691 - 07/19/14 08:25 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Well my process for making the seeds is to stress the plants with water, light, nutrients, and age. The plants that I can't get to go hermie are the ones I like to use with STS treatments. Plants that have easy triggers to turning hermie are thrown out. 

From my experience seeds made from plants that are true hermies have a very high rate of making hermie seeds.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleMr. Wilson
purty-weiner-dog

Re: Ed Rosenthal on Stress-induced Herms... [Re: Magash]
    #740710 - 07/19/14 02:00 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

yep yep

ive read ed's and soma's books

soma says a plant can tell when there aint no males around and will go hermie toward the very end of flowering anyways

life will find a way right??

im growing all feminised this year for the first time and i hope this hermie shit dont happen to me

ive always relied on a good seed germ and optimum conditions to produce a mostly female crop for years

or ive just been lucky:smile:

--------------------
bit of last year's bounty

InvisiblebEelzeBosS
Are my eyes red?

Re: Ed Rosenthal on Stress-induced Herms... [Re: Mr. Wilson]
    #740712 - 07/19/14 03:33 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

That's when mine have been turning lately, towards the very end. My first 8 plants, no herms. My last 4 all different strains, all hermied the last two weeks of flowering. No change in conditions at all. I cut them down and still got great seedless smoke from them but I hate cutting my plants down before I get any amber trichomes.

--------------------
:firecum:

InvisibleP-O

#740780 - 07/20/14 11:50 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

soma says a plant can tell when there aint no males around and will go hermie toward the very end of flowering anyways

life will find a way right??

thats interesting i wonder if some strains are more prone to this.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds