Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineshroomer17
Are these plants likely to be hermis?
    #217194 - 04/18/09 05:04 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Hey, hoping maybe you guys could help point me in the right direction...

A friend of mine found some seeds in some nice indoor bud he's been getting lately.  But the seeds were from a crop that wasn't intended to be grown for seeds.  Im worried the seeds resulted from the plants being hermis or something?  He found 1 or 2 seeds here and there i think over the course of a few weeks of buying this bud.  I germinated them and got 7 healthy looking plants at this point.  5 out of 7 clearly show female preflowers, but I'm worried that maybe they will hermi now that i've put them into flower because of their possible hermi origin?

Is anyone able to enlighten me on the theory behind this?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibletravelleler
New and used cannabis seeds!!!

Re: Are these plants likely to be hermis? [Re: shroomer17]
    #217205 - 04/18/09 06:16 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Chances are that all your plants will be female--- at least that's my hunch, to see why I think so read this

Female plants subjected to various stress factors will generate their own pollen sacks which in turn carry the genetic material necessary to create virtually 100% female seeds.  it is likely that the buds you are getting came from a stressed garden.  I have had those types of seed before and they did come out all girls every time-- which is not so bad.  However if it is possible that the crop was accidentally cross pollinated by a careless gardener who may have had male pollen from another crop or garden on his/her clothes or even just some floating in with the ventilation, then it's  a crap shoot and your guess will be as good as mine.

:cheers:

--------------------
So, in summation: The CIA, with a little help from the Nazis, accidentally helped invent hippies while they were trying to figure out how to brainwash communists.

Pour that on your granola and eat it, you zombie pinko bastards!"

Offlineshroomer17
Re: Are these plants likely to be hermis? [Re: travelleler]
    #217250 - 04/18/09 08:18 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I read that link, very interesting.  Well that gives me hope, then, that the plants will be true females and not genetic hermis.  Well, heres hoping for 7/7 females then! :laugh:

Thanks a lot

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Are these plants likely to be hermis? [Re: shroomer17]
    #217263 - 04/18/09 09:22 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Genetic Hermis are VERY rare, practically unheard of. From what I understand nearly all hermis are a result of environmental stress, and the seeds produced by them will turn out to be females, not hermis.

--------------------

Invisibletravelleler

Re: Are these plants likely to be hermis? [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #217443 - 04/19/09 12:25 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I wonder if the same is true for humans who are born natural hermaphrodites?  would they have all female children?? LOLz

--------------------
So, in summation: The CIA, with a little help from the Nazis, accidentally helped invent hippies while they were trying to figure out how to brainwash communists.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Are these plants likely to be hermis? [Re: travelleler]
    #217479 - 04/19/09 02:30 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

haha well no... because I don't think hermi humans can mate with themselves....

--------------------

Offlineethnoguy
E to the G
Male User Gallery

Loc: your momma's house
    #217710 - 04/19/09 08:58 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
Genetic Hermis are VERY rare, practically unheard of. From what I understand nearly all hermis are a result of environmental stress, and the seeds produced by them will turn out to be females, not hermis.

Herm plants have a tendency to produce herm seeds. Not always, but enough to make me not want to use them. Of course there are slightly hermaphroditic plants (i.e. Afgan x Bullrider) that seems to do well acorrding to what I have read. I've been hearing about this Soma banana thing to produce feminized seeds, as well as chemical, but its urban legend that herms produce feminized seeds otherwise. I chop, kill, and burn any herm plants. Its a noob mistake to keep them unless you have a strain like the above mentioned.

But yeah, stress causes herms.

EG

--------------------

My Grow Closet

My Personal Cacti Pics

Invisibletravelleler

#218004 - 04/20/09 05:06 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

haha well no... because I don't think hermi humans can mate with themselves....

Turkey baster? :eek:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds