Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinewestcoastdawg
Stranger
what to tell electrician?
    #374110 - 02/26/10 02:17 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

i would like to be able to to have the capability to run 3 600w and one 250w. the area i'm going to need it to is in the basement laundry room within 30 ft of fuse box. this area has a 15amp for all the plugs there. i figure i can use those for pumps fans etc.

so what do i need to have done to run the lights in that area?

what should i tell an electrician so it doesnt sound suspicious? cause you know the first thing they are gonna ask is what's it for. any ideas on what i could say i'm gonna put there that needs (30amp?) that much juice?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTomCollins

Re: what to tell electrician? [Re: westcoastdawg]
    #374482 - 02/27/10 05:14 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Well first of all. Don't bring over an electrician. Sadly sir, your going to have to figure out how to do this yourself. If your going to be growing large, you should have a pretty decent knowledge of trades work: e.g. plumbing, electricity and carpentry.

If your incapable of trades work you should not be growing at all. Sorry.

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Phish Tour Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: what to tell electrician? [Re: TomCollins]
    #374483 - 02/27/10 05:38 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Spency is right. If you don't know how to install a 30-amp breaker in your box then have an electrician do that BEFORE you start building your room.

From the breaker on, you are gonna have to figure out how to do some wiring. If I were you, I would figure out how to install the breaker myself also. Luckily I have someone I can ask for guidance on these things. In your case, I feel for you man.

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

OfflineBuddy Guy
Gone Rogue

Loc: Unknown
    #374486 - 02/27/10 07:01 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Good Morning. I don't know your living situation but one thing I can tell you to do is run extension cords off different breakers in your home down to the basement. If you have to be stealth. Be creative in finding ways to conceal cords running through your home. I have had to do this many times.  Also it never hurts to be-friend an electrician. Another thing you may want to consider about your grow show is being so close to the main breaker box in case you have to have any maintenance done to your breaker box while your grow was operating. You may find yourself having to do a little explaining. Chances also are your electrician is not an idiot and can probably, very easily assume what you are up to.

Invisiblenight trainV
Male

Loc: Midwest, US
Re: what to tell electrician? [Re: Buddy Guy] * 1
    #374532 - 02/27/10 10:45 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Get it wired up right.  DON'T run extension cords throughout your house! That's just asking for trouble. Watch the news, most house fires are caused by electrical troubles quite often by an over used extension cord.

OfflineTomCollins

Re: what to tell electrician? [Re: night train]
    #374548 - 02/27/10 11:17 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

night train said:
Get it wired up right.  DON'T run extension cords throughout your house! That's just asking for trouble. Watch the news, most house fires are caused by electrical troubles quite often by an over used extension cord.

Smart guy. :thumbup: :thumbup:

--------------------
andyistic said:
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Phish Tour Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: what to tell electrician? [Re: night train]
    #374549 - 02/27/10 11:18 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, I would also advise against running extension cords. Good way to end up homeless.

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

Offlinewestcoastdawg
Stranger
    #374690 - 02/27/10 04:02 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

its not that i'm a complete idiot lol. i can do a little plumbing and can build a few thing, but when it comes to electricity, i play it safe. i have a nice house and would hate to burn it down. i would just rather pay to have it done right. at least i didnt ask how many extension cords does it take to run, and how to hide them lol. 

my utility room is 30ftx12ft. next to it is a finished basement with a hot tub. the pump to it in in the utility room. my plan is to have an electrician wire what i need BEFORE i move my cabinets in there, and plumbing.

maybe i could say i am getting a bigger hottub that needs more juice?

if you guys were paying for it what would you ask for him to do? 30amp and run wires near where "the hot tub will plug in" which is within 30 ft from breaker box. from there the only thing i want running through it is my timer for my lights.

i'm not a complete noob. i guess i could learn to do it my self, i could cut my own grass too, but id rather pay someone else to do it.

any help would be appreciated from the "jack of no trades"
thanks

OfflineBuddy Guy
Gone Rogue

Loc: Unknown
    #374816 - 02/27/10 07:25 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Hahaha. Let me be more specific. I am not talking about running one extension cord with a power strip for all four of your lights. That is silly and would pop the breaker every time. Using ohms law(Volts times Amps = Watts) a 600 watt light uses 5.5 amps of power. A 250 light uses only 2.2 amps. You say you have a nice house. Go have a look at you breaker box. I bet your breakers are 15 or 20 amp and 30 amp breakers. I was talking about utilizing the power supply you already have. Your house has several different breakers that supply different sections of the house. Find out what sections of the house are on what breakers. Then run one cord,per section(breaker), per light. Therefor I can still claim this to be safe. Safely. I am a complete DIYer. Due to my geographic location It is an absolute negative to ever show your grow or even insinuate anything about a grow. I understand wanting shell out the extra cash, and I do mean extra, for the added security of having a licensed professional installing your electric and the sheer laziness of not wanting to do it yourself. Your choice is your choice. I can respect what ever you choose to do. :goodluck:

OfflineJeff Funk
 User Gallery

Re: what to tell electrician? [Re: Buddy Guy]
    #375017 - 02/28/10 06:44 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

If you insist on having someone else do it... Tell them you have a custom salt water tank being built and you need the extra amps to run the lighting for your tanks. I have a newly built house with tons of amperage, but the lights on my tank constantly knocked out the power once the timer kicked on. So when I added another breaker just to run my tanks there were no questions asked if you catch my drift.

--------------------
@Str8dankgenetics

OfflineTomCollins

Re: what to tell electrician? [Re: Jeff Funk]
    #375019 - 02/28/10 06:49 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Jeff, suppose he doesn't live near a salt water source. Wouldn't that seem odd?

--------------------
andyistic said:

OfflineJeff Funk
 User Gallery

#375023 - 02/28/10 07:11 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

No it wouldn't since I live no where near a salt water source, except for the local pet store or aquarium shop. Not to mention most people with salt water tanks mix the water themselves then test it before ading it to your tank. I have a 480 gallon tank I have yet to find a place that carries that much salt water.

--------------------
@Str8dankgenetics

OfflineCrusty Ass Bastard
Pheno Hunting

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #375025 - 02/28/10 08:00 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Don't run extension cords.

If you absolutely must use them (and if you're ever going to recommend someone else use them...) make sure they are 12-gauge or better. You (both?) need to read about ohm resistance, not ohms law. Besides the whole, you know, fire hazard thing, you might be surprised to learn how inefficient most extension cords and how much money they might already be losing you.

--------------------
|

Skunk Train (Most Recent) | G13 Haze (Completed) | G13 Haze (Completed) | G13 Haze (Completed)
Cinnibis Rolls | Indoor Peppers

"The secret of improved plant breeding, apart from scientific knowledge, is love." -Luther Burbank

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

#375043 - 02/28/10 08:57 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Buddy Guy said:
Hahaha. Let me be more specific. I am not talking about running one extension cord with a power strip for all four of your lights. That is silly and would pop the breaker every time. Using ohms law(Volts times Amps = Watts) a 600 watt light uses 5.5 amps of power. A 250 light uses only 2.2 amps. You say you have a nice house. Go have a look at you breaker box. I bet your breakers are 15 or 20 amp and 30 amp breakers. I was talking about utilizing the power supply you already have. Your house has several different breakers that supply different sections of the house. Find out what sections of the house are on what breakers. Then run one cord,per section(breaker), per light. Therefor I can still claim this to be safe. Safely. I am a complete DIYer. Due to my geographic location It is an absolute negative to ever show your grow or even insinuate anything about a grow. I understand wanting shell out the extra cash, and I do mean extra, for the added security of having a licensed professional installing your electric and the sheer laziness of not wanting to do it yourself. Your choice is your choice. I can respect what ever you choose to do. :goodluck:

Please for gods sake don't do this. You might have a 20amp curcuit  in the laundry room, but guess what, that's because the laundry room needs 20amps, you start putting 50ft of extension coords together and pulling from that room as soon as you do laundry the breaker is gonna pop, or worse. DON'T DO THIS

Go to your local Lowes or HD and look right by the checkout for a book called Residential Wireing for dummies, seriously if you have done a little plumbing and know your way around some tools then it should make the job really easy. Just make sure you have your main cut off make sure you read through all the safety precautions and use new ROMEX wire not a recycled extension cord or something. Also if your gonna run a leg you might want to run a 240v leg you will save some power in the long run. Just be safe, be thorough and check it all out closely before flipping that main back on. The folks at your home store are also a wealth of knowledge and you can use the hottub excuse with them.

--------------------
"The proverb warns that, "You should not bite the hand that feeds you." But maybe you should, if it prevents you from feeding yourself."
- Thomas Szasz

"if you arent good with electricity dont go touching it...ive electrocuted myself twice...its no fun"
- mhbound

OfflineTomCollins

Re: what to tell electrician? [Re: Jeff Funk]
    #375046 - 02/28/10 09:03 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Jeff Funk said:
No it wouldn't since I live no where near a salt water source, except for the local pet store or aquarium shop. Not to mention most people with salt water tanks mix the water themselves then test it before ading it to your tank. I have a 480 gallon tank I have yet to find a place that carries that much salt water.

Then I have no clue what the point of one is.

--------------------
andyistic said:

OfflineHomosapian
DMT
Male User Gallery

Loc: Austin , TX
    #375048 - 02/28/10 09:12 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

:evil:i only pay 30 bucks per month on electricity... no matter how much i actually use , a friend of mines hacked into it ( can't be a digital one ) and all i have to do is after... hmmm 12 pm put a pin on top of it and it stops running :laugh: so basicly after 12 pm everyday i have free electricity ...
and if you get caught you dont get in trouble at all.. the electricity company just switches to a digital one.

--------------------

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

Re: what to tell electrician? [Re: Homosapian]
    #375063 - 02/28/10 09:38 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Homosapian said:
:evil:i only pay 30 bucks per month on electricity... no matter how much i actually use , a friend of mines hacked into it ( can't be a digital one ) and all i have to do is after... hmmm 12 pm put a pin on top of it and it stops running :laugh: so basicly after 12 pm everyday i have free electricity ...
and if you get caught you dont get in trouble at all.. the electricity company just switches to a digital one.

Also, don't do this

--------------------
"The proverb warns that, "You should not bite the hand that feeds you." But maybe you should, if it prevents you from feeding yourself."
- Thomas Szasz

"if you arent good with electricity dont go touching it...ive electrocuted myself twice...its no fun"
- mhbound

Offlinewestcoastdawg
Stranger
Re: what to tell electrician? [Re: pha3r0]
    #375087 - 02/28/10 10:17 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

ok so some of my advice has been running extension cords from other parts of the house and to steal electricity. to each their own and i really hope the best for them, i just like to cover my ass a little better and safer. but if it works for others, more power.

Residential Wireing for dummies sounds like what i'm gonna do. it really sounds simple enough if i do it right and safe.

running a 240v does sound like a good idea. so would i need a special timer for that. does 240 have to have the big dryer plug? sorry for the stupid question, but i am buying a "for dummies" book lol

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

#375090 - 02/28/10 10:25 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

haha it's okay better ask a lot of questions then have a fire or something. I don't know on the plug thing the only 240v lines I have ever run were for a press and thermographer which each used the large plug. but my common sense says it doesn't matter. as for the timer yeah you will need a timer built for 240v. prolly a bit more but also prolly better quality in general then christmas light timers.

--------------------
- Thomas Szasz

- mhbound

OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
Re: what to tell electrician? [Re: pha3r0]
    #375092 - 02/28/10 10:29 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah if your ever caught for splicing into the electricity while your growing your punishment will be doubled. Some options, look on Craigslist if your going to hire a electrician. I don't know if your in a MMJ state or not but there are people who post ads on CL specifically for wiring extra breakers for grow rooms. Even if you don't live in a MMJ state, the people on CL are kind of desperate out of work people so they really won't ask a lot of questions, besides the usual conversation starter. They might ask you what its for but they really don't care.

If that happens even.. BE CONVINCING, even to yourself. Look up something called social engineering. Know your story and know everything about it. Bore them to death with stories about vacations and kids even though there are none on the house. If you are really annoying they will want to get out of there faster. Don't seem like the stoner type, everything will be okay when it comes to someone working in your home on something.

The other option however would be to do it yourself. I'm certain you can read up on it and do it yourself.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates