Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinesNicklefrits
Stranger

Seed to veg, and veg to flower soil and nutrient question?
    #373253 - 02/25/10 09:44 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Hello,

So I just got my veg box up and running, today I will wrap it up in panda film and then I'm off!! Alright, so I have 6 seeds in germinating right now, hopefully I'll get them all to sprout. 

I was planning on planting these guys in the 5 gallon buckets from there seedling stage. These buckets will have a mixture of dolomite, sand, perlite, and Happy Frogs organic potting soil, enriched with all the goods of course, ie; (castings, bat guano,etc..).  Does this sound like a good mixture to veg in. My question is also what do I do when its time to flower and I need to change the NPK makeup? I want to eliminate the transfer shock from changing pots all the time. Thanks guys, I think that's all.  Oh and feel free to go crazy and give me TONS of feedback on this post :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Seed to veg, and veg to flower soil and nutrient question? [Re: sNicklefrits]
    #373453 - 02/25/10 04:47 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

IMO Transfer shock rarely occurs to the point where it will hurt your grow.  Sure your plants may stall for maybe a day while they get used to the new container, but there hasn't been a plant I've personally transplanted that's died or had problems directly from the transplant.

IMO putting a seedling in a 5 gallon bucket from the get go is going to cause you more problems then good.  You'll most likely end up over watering it since the root system is too tiny for the container.  My suggestion would be to tranplant in a small container, let the plant become established and build up a healthy root system, then move the plant into the five gallon bucket.  I'd say within 30 days veg time you would be more then ready to make the move into the big bucket, even then keep in mind that 5 gallon containers are fucking ginormous so you need to take it easy with the waterings for a bit until the root system has grown out more in the bucket.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Seed to veg, and veg to flower soil and nutrient question? [Re: coda]
    #373461 - 02/25/10 04:54 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

In my experience transplanting slows the plant down for a day or two, but then growth just explodes as soon as the plant realizes how much extra room it's roots have. overall I think it's a positive net result, just with a little pause in the middle

--------------------

OfflinesNicklefrits
Stranger

Re: Seed to veg, and veg to flower soil and nutrient question? [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #373513 - 02/25/10 05:59 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks a lot for the feedback fellas. I was thinking that seemed a little weird too. So should I just set my small peat pots in a simpler mixture using the same ingredients, just less of the Happy Frog? And let me get this right, I just put my ferts in my water every few times and water to keep my levels up? At least I just bought a book on indoor and hydro, very helpful, it just doesn't specify with mary jane. Muchas Gracias

OfflineBuddy Guy
Gone Rogue

Loc: Unknown
Re: Seed to veg, and veg to flower soil and nutrient question? [Re: coda]
    #375625 - 02/28/10 08:55 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

coda said:
IMO Transfer shock rarely occurs to the point where it will hurt your grow.  Sure your plants may stall for maybe a day while they get used to the new container, but there hasn't been a plant I've personally transplanted that's died or had problems directly from the transplant.

IMO putting a seedling in a 5 gallon bucket from the get go is going to cause you more problems then good.  You'll most likely end up over watering it since the root system is too tiny for the container.  My suggestion would be to tranplant in a small container, let the plant become established and build up a healthy root system, then move the plant into the five gallon bucket.  I'd say within 30 days veg time you would be more then ready to make the move into the big bucket, even then keep in mind that 5 gallon containers are fucking ginormous so you need to take it easy with the waterings for a bit until the root system has grown out more in the bucket.

Yep. Seedling to one gallon container. One gallon container to 5 gallon bucket. Then would be a good time to make a nice soil mix for your flowering girls. :dancer:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom