Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKine
Re: The [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #359573 - 02/07/10 08:36 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
I'm a little disappointed that you're lecturing us on light behavior and you're not even familiar with the basic tennets of light spectrum chromatography :nonono:
Gamma is merely another wavelength of light. ALL light is made of electromagnetic waves, which is the way in which photons travel through our interpretation of time/space. The heat you emit from your body is photons of large wavelength, UV is photons of a high wavelength, gamma is photons of the highest possible wavelength (that we can detect with current technology. I will basically guarantee in the future we'll discover something else).

A) This debate has nothing to do with gamma... so what do i care?
B) I never said i know... i said i dont think they are the same; so dont act like i said "this is law" or some BS...

Cool... so tell me how what you had to say has any reference to anything of relevance? Oh... it doesnt... i see.  I understand wavelength.  Thats why i have used that word in several post previously.  My point is that i dont feel the wavelength of light can add up like you all say it does.  Gamma may act different.  Thats just like saying i take one heat wave thats 75 degrees... combine it with another of same temp... i bet im not going to have 180 degrees of heat am i?  Thats all im trying to say.  I dont study gamma... shit im prolly half or even a quarter of the age of some of you old farts so no shit i havent studied that BS.  Theres TONS i havent studied... But what i do know is that you are no more credible then myself.  You are showing no more proof twords the subject then I am.  So whats it matter what im speaking about?  Or what im trying to say?  Im trying to work twords a undeniable truth behind the myth of Lumens Adding.  If what im talking about is wrong; then teach me correctly.  Dont try and shove my nose in shit; tell me im wrong; how im wrong and then provide proof so i can further research...

You act all "Holier then Thou" and as tho you have a PHD in "Everythingology".  But i think its more talk then walk...

I've gone and talked to electrical light companies and representatives FOR CFL lighting, trained by energy star.  Their job is to study and inform us of how lights work and why.  Everyone agrees... yet you somehow know more then they and are going to now school us all on gamma and wavelengths?  Dont think so.  Should we start talking about sound waves too while we're at it?  We've already gone far enough off topic...

Next time, instead of just trying to rip on someone; how about being constructive?

So back onto the topic...

Here is a page about waves... http://scienceray.com/physics/waves/ basically according to this; it would all depend on if the wave is constructive or destructive interference (anytime 2 or more waves collide, its "interference".  If constructive it combines, if destructive it dissipates)

But this is why i dont think you can compare different wavelengths.  Cause obv they arent destructive... or two of the same light would cancel out and be darkness.  But by the other definition, it would take the wavelength of the largest.  So you'd be comparing each individual light and its wave length.  If one has 2700 lumens, the other 2600, by word of that website; the 2700 would just dominate the 2600 and it would just be 2700 lumens...

But the way im thinking about it is taking a bucket of water.  Taking a bucket of water; and tapping the side.  You create waves; they hit the wall, bounce back, cross over each other... but never combine!  Or if they do, I sure cant tell the difference  Its gotta be SUPER SMALL!  Thats how i feel lights work.  Larger scale... instead of a small bucket you have a bathtub.  now the same tap wont create waves big enough to cover the whole bathtub, so you'll need to tap in several places.  Each tap would be the same; causing the same waves.  They can cross over each other, bounce around, go all over... but they never combine 

Idk... its kinda really hard to explain.  Hell, i may be wrong; but like i said.  To my eyes; when i tap a bucket and waves collide; they do nothing that i can see other then cross over each other untill they lose energy and deminish (just like light does)...

Anyone have proof as to this not being the case?  Anyone have undisputed truth that all wavelengths (light, sound, water, ect) act the same? Different?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: The [Re: Kine]
    #359630 - 02/07/10 09:32 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

:lol: damn man you are a cranky guy.

this is where what I said applies;
Quote:

I am pretty sure gamma ray and photons act different... but i cant be positive.  So i dont know just how well that applies.

you're lecturing us on light behavior and you don't even know what gamma rays and photons are. THAT is what my post is about.

Quote:

I've gone and talked to electrical light companies and representatives FOR CFL lighting, trained by energy star.  Their job is to study and inform us of how lights work and why.  Everyone agrees... yet you somehow know more then they and are going to now school us all on gamma and wavelengths

Yes, because I have years of experience in extremely high-funding scientific laboratories and a very credible education at a nationally accredited university. I don't just read this shit on google and then tell you about it, I spent an entire year and a half period measuring the proportion of incident IR light in a laboratory where my supervisor had WON A NOBEL PRIZE IN PHYSICS. Yes, I would say he knows more than your feeble-minded friends who work for the light bulb company :rolleyes:

So next time, instead of delving into pointless bickering (which seems to be your trend when you detect that you're outgunned) how about we keep it civil and have a logical discussion? just because I propose an alternative view point doesn't mean I'm attacking you, we're having an open scientific forum on a complex issue. Stop trippin'
Quote:

You create waves; they hit the wall, bounce back, cross over each other... but never combine! 

if the velocity of the incident waves matches the natural harmonic resonance frequency of the bucket/water, then yes actually they can. watch the following video for a demonstration of how tons of small waves of the same frequency can multiply into an enormous wave if the natural frequency of the medium is appropriate. This is sort of pointless since it has nothing to do with light, but the point still stands

--------------------

OfflineKine
    #359650 - 02/07/10 10:20 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
This is sort of pointless since it has nothing to do with light

That was the only part of your post worth anything.  And even you say it yourself... most of what you have to say; has nothing to do with the topic at hand...  :congrats:

And they hand out Nobels like candy these days... so thats supposed to make me believe you?  You didnt win it... you were around someone that did.  How do you know the guy you were around didnt teach the class the gentleman i spoke to went to?  Seriously... its your word vs mine so far still...

Im so outgunned.  You have nothing that proves or disproves one thing or the other.  You say one thing, i say another.  You have your posse believing you; i have mine.

Im looking for something that says "Light wavelengths act like this.  They can combine and amplify"  So far, theres nothing out there that says anything like that that i've come across; or that you've posted...

What it all comes down to is this.  Explain to me; with logic so even the simplest of minds can understand, how adding two things of the same brightness can combine and magically become brighter.  Thats all im saying.  No one is able to prove that right, but i have examples to disprove such logic.  No one has provided an example that explains how your thoughts on this works.  By taking EVERY theory you've put forth, your saying two objects of the same composition can somehow become double what it was.  I cant think of anything like that.  Seriously.  Apply your theory to anything else.  Cars?  Two cars (the lights) going 50mph (the lumens) does not equal 100mph (twice the lumens).  Heat? If i take a bucket of water (the lights) thats 75 degrees (the lumens), add it to another bucket of same temp, i now get a bucket thats 180 degrees?  Nope.  Yet some how... when you take two lights, 100 lumens each, you magically get 200 lumens.  Wow.  That would make total sense to me... if i was retarded as shit.  But im not... so you should somehow convince me, with logic and examples, a few links would help... maybe some diagrams or pretty pictures to keep me from nodding off, otherwise i say its stalemate.

OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery

#359656 - 02/07/10 10:35 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Is it too off topic to try to go back to the UVB resin sunscreen thing?

An old timer grow buddy of mine said they used to use iguana lamps towards the end of flower for an hour or two each of 2 or 3 days... Now, for some cranky old stoners to come up with this 20 years ago, and that we're still talking about it I think merits a deeper look...

Are there any resources or grow journals where guys actually test this?  My buddy's response to it was kinda shrug-worthy in that he was never sure it made a huge difference or not...

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
Re: The [Re: DudeTron]
    #359658 - 02/07/10 10:38 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Maybe this is where the Cheech and Chong weed that turned people into iguanas came from?

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Emerald City Flag
    #359661 - 02/07/10 10:41 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I just had an idea (*Light bulb goes off in head*)

I could perform a simple real-world experiment that might provide some indirect evidence of the "Do 2 bulbs of the same light output combine to make the total output brighter.

Currently, I own a small solar panel I bought from RadioShack. I also own a voltage mulit-meter I used for measuring voltage and amperage up to 200Mah(very little).

So this is what I was thinking of an experiment...

I hook up 2 lamps, one with 1 CFL bulb, and another one with 2 CFL bulbs of the same wattage/brand/color temp, etc.

I will put the solar panel directly underneath each lamp independent (one "on", the other "off") of each other in a dark room lights, centered between the 2, and measure the amount of voltage being produced from the solar panel using my multi-meter.

If the voltage measure under the lamp with 2 bulbs is more than the one with 1 bulb, than we might conclude, even if indirectly, that the total output of light has increased. We may even to roughly calculate how much the light output increases when a bulb is added....

^ I will take photos of everything, especially what the volt meter when hooked up to my mini-solar panel.

What do you guys think, is this light experiment a valid way to get a real-world idea of how lumens light output works?

Let me know, because I could do it pretty easily.
~ TrueHerbCrystaL ~

OfflineKine
Re: The [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #359686 - 02/08/10 12:13 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

TrueHerbCrystal said:
I just had an idea (*Light bulb goes off in head*)

I could perform a simple real-world experiment that might provide some indirect evidence of the "Do 2 bulbs of the same light output combine to make the total output brighter.

Currently, I own a small solar panel I bought from RadioShack. I also own a voltage mulit-meter I used for measuring voltage and amperage up to 200Mah(very little).

So this is what I was thinking of an experiment...

I hook up 2 lamps, one with 1 CFL bulb, and another one with 2 CFL bulbs of the same wattage/brand/color temp, etc.

I will put the solar panel directly underneath each lamp independent (one "on", the other "off") of each other in a dark room lights, centered between the 2, and measure the amount of voltage being produced from the solar panel using my multi-meter.

If the voltage measure under the lamp with 2 bulbs is more than the one with 1 bulb, than we might conclude, even if indirectly, that the total output of light has increased. We may even to roughly calculate how much the light output increases when a bulb is added....

^ I will take photos of everything, especially what the volt meter when hooked up to my mini-solar panel.

What do you guys think, is this light experiment a valid way to get a real-world idea of how lumens light output works?

Let me know, because I could do it pretty easily.
~ TrueHerbCrystaL ~

What is it that solar panels read? is it lumens? is there a max input that solar panels can take?

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

#359690 - 02/08/10 12:21 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

The solar panels will read in voltage and amperage, because its not a sensor, it produces electricity from light. My multi-meter will not display units of lumens, only electricity. According to some sites I've read, amperage is more stable under different light conditions, while voltage varies with the amount (and intensity?) of light that hits the solar panel. Which is good, because my meter has a lame Amperage range (a sad 200mAH limit).

But I would argue that the amount of lumens that hits a panel is strongly coorelated (if not causation) to the amount of voltage it produces from solar panels cells.

So, indirectly, we could infer if light output of 2 bulbs is increasing the amount of available light for the solar panels to absorb, and I think this is a good analog, because as Harry once told me, plant leaves are like solar panels....

I could try it anyway, even if it doesn't really apply directly to this debate.

Actually, I'm going to work on this now....Be back with pictures and results soon.

Its time for some simple science
~ TrueHerbCrystaL ~

Edited by TrueHerbCrystal (02/08/10 12:22 AM)

OfflineKine
Re: The [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #359705 - 02/08/10 12:32 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Well, i can tell you now that yes... you'll get a higher reading.  Cause the amount of light hitting that panel will be greater.  But you also already said that it still wont prove lumens.

Heres one thing to try tho; do it with the panel less then an inch away.  If your panel is say a 1x4 or 2x4 inch panel or something, try testing it lengthwise along one bulb right next to it... and then with it horizontally across two bulbs right next to each other.  Cause that would be max out put, with no light dispersion. It'd be better if you also did this in an isolate room, or dark room as to not dirty the results. Your on to something... but not sure what lol...

OfflineKine
    #359713 - 02/08/10 12:42 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Random searching...

http://www.michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/node/14539

http://led4smarts.wordpress.com/2007/02/22/lumens-please/

"Carl Sagan made an interesting point when he said “We live in a society exquisitely dependant on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.”  This is evident in the number of people who fill our inbox wanting lumen comparisons for the LED Grow Master grow bars.  We’re talking measuring light in relation to a candle’s flame.  Not only is this an old-school standard, it does not apply to plant lighting at all."

BUT!!!!... i still am curious as to the lumens thing.  Tho this (as i prev stated) whole debate has nothing to do with plants... lawl...

Edited by Kine (02/08/10 12:51 AM)

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Re: The Great Debate [Re: Kine]
    #359746 - 02/08/10 01:06 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, I could do that, just use the bulb. I was thinking about using a hanging clamp light that has a reflector, but reflected light might skew the results, right?

And good guess on the size of the solar panel size! Actually each cell (it has 3 total) is 2.5" long by 1" wide. I am NOT going to use all 3 (connected in series for increased voltage) because I wanted to isolate the collection of light to one area.

And I got an isolated room: my grow room. The entire widow is completely covered with sheets and black plastic for stealthing, so it makes the perfect place for it.

I just found this intesting quote from a website called The LED Light that might help clear up the lumens definition....

"Candlepower is a measure of light taken at the source - not at the target. Foot-candles tell us how much of that light is directed at an object we want to illuminate."

So, what we are talking about here is Foot-candles, because thats the amount of light hitting the object (the MJ plant) and Candlepower is the amount of light coming from the source (the bulb, like a CFL).

And here's some conversion formulas between different light units (from same website).

"LUX is an abbreviation for Lumens per square meter.
Foot-candles equal the amount of Lumens per square feet of area.

So, that one candlepower equivalent equals 12.57 lumens.
"

And this is what *really* cleared it up for me....

"Lumens are a metric equivalent to foot-candles in that they are measured at an object you want to illuminate."

OK, so Lumens are the metric, Scientific Units version of Foot-candles, while the Foot-Candle unit is the American English version that uses feet instead of meters. I'm glad I know the difference now!

Anyway, Carl made a good point about the "using a candle as a standard unit for artifical lighting", that its not a good analog. First, you can't really grow plants using a large fire (aside from the heat issues). But, if the candle is not a good unit of measure for Artifical lighting, what should be the standard? One LED bulb? A CFL bulb? The Sun?

Well, back to the Experiment
~ TrueHerbCrystaL ~

Edited by TrueHerbCrystal (02/08/10 01:09 AM)

OfflineKine
    #359752 - 02/08/10 01:09 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

... http://www.theledlight.com/lumens.html

Weird.  So lumens add because its not what i thought it was.  It wasnt explained well enough to me; and i was thinking more along the lines of candlepower.  Measured at the source, not from a radius...

weird... here a guy who finds a way to make 3 bulbs of same output equal more lumens then 6?!?... http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plants/month.9511/msg00134.html

Werd.  So, im still a little iffy on this whole light thing.  Lumens is number of light flux... i dont know what that means in terms of intensity.  But i bow out saying; Lumens do add.  My terms and understanding of terms was skewed; but kewl, i understand.  Now off to read PAR...

Just to bad this had absolutely NOTHING... to do with plants :nonono:

OfflineKine
    #359764 - 02/08/10 01:13 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Random dood... way to post the same site.  hahaha.

So now anyone wanna dive into par... exactly what it reads and if you want higher numbers or what?!?  Lol.  Ill try and find this guys PAR experement he did with a bunch of bulbs.  But i gotta crash out.  Im noddin now...

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

#359769 - 02/08/10 01:17 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Oh wow, I thought you were referencing me about www.theledlight.com site, but it turns out we both found it together, independent of each other....

CoooL!  :eek:

Right on man. I'm going to back the experiment *for real* this time. See you in 20 minutes....

This time its for real
~ TrueHerbCrystaL ~

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

#359801 - 02/08/10 02:01 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Kine said:

I've gone and talked to electrical light companies and representatives FOR CFL lighting, trained by energy star.  Their job is to study and inform us of how lights work and why.

I know precious little and I really try not to misrepresent that as it often leads to heart ache and stress. But I need to enlighten you about something that I know to be a universal truth.

NOT ONE FUCKING SALESMAN OR 'REP' IN HIS RIGHT MIND IS GOING TO TELL YOU CFL's ARE ANYTHING LESS THEN SLICED BREAD.

I don't know jack about shit but I do know how to evaluate two options and discern a reasonable verdict. My verdict; You sir love CFL's and don't want anyone arguing against your precious wonder lights. Harry, keep the facts coming you might be hard to converse with but we can deal.

Stay high:gethigh:

--------------------
"The proverb warns that, "You should not bite the hand that feeds you." But maybe you should, if it prevents you from feeding yourself."
- Thomas Szasz

"if you arent good with electricity dont go touching it...ive electrocuted myself twice...its no fun"
- mhbound

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Re: The Results [Re: Kine]
    #359825 - 02/08/10 04:33 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Well, I'm back from the experiment and I've got some interesting results.

So, what I used for the experiment was two 27watt 5000K bulbs, 2 socket adapters, a 3 cell (each cell has a 1.5 volt MAX output) small solar panel,
a digital multi-meter, a black shirt, some tape, and a completely dark room.

Here's most of the materials I used (black T-shirt and bulb adapters not pictured)....

First, I wanted to test the sensetivity of the panel and meter by covering the panel and leaving it open to the overhead incadencent bulb in
the room. So, I taped the meter probes to the "+" and "-" terminals of just 1 of the cells, the center one.
There is a total of 3 cells on this mini-solar panel. All readings on multi-meter are in 0.000 volts (about the range of a AA battery).

Middle solar cell Uncovered

Middle solar cell Covered

As you can see, the solar panel is very sensitive, even reading a small voltage even with my hand covering the cell.

Now, its time for the bulbs. Because it was difficult to hold the bulbs hovering at 1 inch above the solar cell, I descide just to rest the bulb on the surface of the cell. That way, it keeps it consistent as well.

The reading was 1.629 volts for one bulb.

Then I tried the 2 bulbs side-by-side to see what the difference would be....

The difference was slight, but still there was a difference. These bulbs produced a total of 1.629 volts on the solar cell, which is 0.1 volts more than the 1 bulb. Small difference, but still likely signifigant.

Lastly, for my own purpose, I did a "Y" arrangement (which is my current set-up for my own grow project) to see the effect of the 90 degree angle arrangement. The result were suprizing...

With a reading of only 1.076 volts on the meter, this is enough evidence for me to conclude that the 2-way splitter arrangement is very inefficient in its orientation.

The difference was dramatic. A full 0.563 volts in contrast to the side-by-side set-up which produced 1.639 volts. These results have made me reconsider my current "Y" spliter set-up. For the results of the 1st trial with the single bulb, I see that a horizontal orientation is best, so I will be building a custom lighting set-up that has multi-bulbs, side-by-side, in a horizontal plane in parallel arrangement because that appears to be the most efficient in terms of light production.

So, from this basic experiment, I will conclude that having multi-bulbs of the same lumens/wattage/Temp. color does not increase by a signifigant amount, but there is still an increase in the amount of available light (obvious logic really). I will also conclude that the "Y" orientaion of bulbs is very inefficent in comparison to side-by-side parallel arrangement.

If anyone wants to perform this experiment to test its validity, please do so and post the results to compare and see if you got similar results.

I Love Experiments
~ TrueHerbCrystaL ~

Edited by TrueHerbCrystal (02/08/10 05:47 PM)

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
Re: The Results [Re: TrueHerbCrystal] * 1
    #359830 - 02/08/10 06:16 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Good work THC. Interesting results.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #359839 - 02/08/10 07:48 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Kine said:

Weird.  So lumens add because its not what i thought it was.  It wasnt explained well enough to me; and i was thinking more along the lines of candlepower.  Measured at the source, not from a radius...

Werd.  So, im still a little iffy on this whole light thing.  Lumens is number of light flux... i dont know what that means in terms of intensity.  But i bow out saying; Lumens do add.  My terms and understanding of terms was skewed; but kewl, i understand.  Now off to read PAR...

Well isn't that a fucking interesting twist to the plot line. the man who was ruthlessly demeaning to every member of the board ended up not having a clue what he was talking about....

When do I get my apology? And I think coda deserves one as well.

On a side note, great job Crystal,  good science in the pursuit of finding answers. Intriguing study :smile:

--------------------

OfflineKine
    #359877 - 02/08/10 09:44 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

pha3r0 said:
Quote:

Kine said:

I've gone and talked to electrical light companies and representatives FOR CFL lighting, trained by energy star.  Their job is to study and inform us of how lights work and why.

I know precious little and I really try not to misrepresent that as it often leads to heart ache and stress. But I need to enlighten you about something that I know to be a universal truth.

NOT ONE FUCKING SALESMAN OR 'REP' IN HIS RIGHT MIND IS GOING TO TELL YOU CFL's ARE ANYTHING LESS THEN SLICED BREAD.

I don't know jack about shit but I do know how to evaluate two options and discern a reasonable verdict. My verdict; You sir love CFL's and don't want anyone arguing against your precious wonder lights. Harry, keep the facts coming you might be hard to converse with but we can deal.

Stay high:gethigh:

A representative is WAY different then a salesperson.  Work retail a little and come talk to me when you have your own buisness.  He doesnt make a dollar of any light sold or anything.  He sits there and answers questions anyone has about lights.

Its almost like a teacher... so are you to say teachers are bullshit too man?

And your tard man.  How do you equivilate deciding if lumens can really add togeather to me loving CFL's?  I love them in my house; but im not stupid enough to use em for growing.

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
Quote:

Kine said:

Well isn't that a fucking interesting twist to the plot line. the man who was ruthlessly demeaning to every member of the board ended up not having a clue what he was talking about....

When do I get my apology? And I think coda deserves one as well.

On a side note, great job Crystal,  good science in the pursuit of finding answers. Intriguing study :smile:

You dont get shit but a fuck you, you arrogant piece!  You said not one word in contribution to this thread.  All you can say is "Your wrong, im right".  You've never once said half the terms from the article we found explaining this.  You never proved me wrong; and you never explained it flat out... so dont flatter yourself or let that shit go to your head bro... your to much sho and no go as is...

I was still entirely correct... wrong terms tho.  NO ONE has define CANDELA or CANDLEPOWER.  Had you truely known this subject as well as you act like you do, you could have EASILY set me straight.  All it took was one website.  Cause now i can say Candelas can never add, and be ENTIRELY correct.  Plus, as i said before, this debate is entirely un-needed as plants dont care how many lumens.  Its all a measure to the human eye... so while lumens CAN add... my point still stands that your not adding more light, more penetration or anything.  All your doing is making it hurt more to your eyes, and you'll have more even full light distribution.  Lights still cant magically get brighter like people seem to think still...

Cause in all of this... can you tell me one benefit of lumens adding?  Just one... i'll wait.

Everything i've said previously can be fixed by saying "candela/candelpower" instead of "lumen"  So i dont owe anybody shit... ESPECIALLY your punk ass... ha

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
    #359906 - 02/08/10 10:41 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Nice work THC, I love reading your posts!

And thanks for clarifying that Lumens are the metric converstion of CandlePower...

It makes a lot more sense now. :yesnod:

All I know is CFL's work great for a lot of people, but HID's will always be a step ahead.

Plus it's a lot nicer having 1 bulb emit all the light that a baker's dozen of High-Watt CFL's produce.  1 light, 1 cord, cleaner setup.

Laying CFL's horizontally will make a big difference.  I used to hang them vertical and lost a LOT of light.  Now when I use them, I like to hang them on their sides.  It is worth the adjustment.

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck