Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleGod
Yahweh

poorly-dried bud?
    #357722 - 02/04/10 03:18 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I recently obtained some bud from an acquaintance who, I have reason to believe, gets his product directly from a grower. This was the second time that I've gotten product that looks quality, covered in trichomes, but is lacking in other departments. It's dark in color, mostly brown and dark olive green, and the bud is as hard as a rock. It doesn't compress at all. Also, both times, it has had a very distinctive smell that reminds me of mexi-brick schwagg, overpowering the weedy smell that should be more prevalent.
I've never had good cannabis that I've known to be dried poorly, but I assume schwagg is sun-dried in piles or some shit.

Could those with experience in the matter tell me if this sounds like what bud is like when dried too quickly/with heat/whatever, or if not, what quick/heat-dried bud is like? I often read references to it along the lines of it's "harsher," "tastes greener," "burns poorly," but what about the look and texture of it compared to if the same bud had been dried and cured properly? Feel free to be ridiculously detailed or post pictures!:grin: Thanks for any help.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCrusty Ass Bastard
Pheno Hunting

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: poorly-dried bud? [Re: God]
    #357725 - 02/04/10 03:31 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quick question that would help me answer you: Does it smell "normal" when you crack open the nugs?

--------------------
|

Skunk Train (Most Recent) | G13 Haze (Completed) | G13 Haze (Completed) | G13 Haze (Completed)
Cinnibis Rolls | Indoor Peppers

"The secret of improved plant breeding, apart from scientific knowledge, is love." -Luther Burbank

Offlinethe man

Re: poorly-dried bud? [Re: Crusty Ass Bastard]
    #357727 - 02/04/10 03:40 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

did they know the strain?? maybe it is mex

Offlineand0rr

Re: poorly-dried bud? [Re: the man]
    #357732 - 02/04/10 04:11 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

No matter the strain, the "mex" smell comes from the curing process which is used. All bud should have a skunk aroma no matter the strain, and if it doesn't; it was because of the curing process employed.

Offlinedutc2006
Grow or Die

Folding@home Statistics
Re: poorly-dried bud? [Re: and0rr]
    #357738 - 02/04/10 04:29 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Aroma has a lot to do with feeding and flushing too.  If the grower kept pumping Nitrogen into it late in flowering more than necessary, it would result in dark green bud, also with a harsher and more unpleasant taste.  Nitrogen needs to be used up in the plant tissue and flushed before harvest if grown well, and if this is done it usually results in lighter color green end-product. 

If it is hard as a rock it could be compressed, or it could be good dense indica nugs.  Pics would help determine that, but common sense should tell you if the bud has been compressed just by looking at it.

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

Re: poorly-dried bud? [Re: dutc2006]
    #357742 - 02/04/10 04:59 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for all the quick replies, I'm not at home but I'll provide more info as best as I can remember it.

If memory serves, the buds smell "schwaggy," through and through. I'll update tonight if that's not the case. No strains were mentioned, though my friend claimed it to be a mild sativa. It's a pretty heady smoke, but the nugs are dense like an indica. It is not compressed, it's in pristine condiion. I'm saying it's so hard, I can't compress it with my fingers; the bud is not squishy, and not in the good indica way. It doesn't feel brittle though (it doesn't crumble). A bit harsh on the throat, but not as bad as bud I'd consider superior.

Does the "Mex" smell come from being dried quickly or being dried with heat (or both)?

OfflineKine
    #357749 - 02/04/10 05:26 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

It sounds more so like it wasnt dried enough.  My grower is trying this new "high moisture" technique to keep the buds more moist longer; and all he's doing is making horrible smoke thats to wet...

My nugs are dense as shit; but not crumbley.  Smells like im smoking schwag (like you said), and the buds when cracked open; smell like fresh grown weed... But you can only tell that if you've grown weed.  IMO; it has a distinct 'plant' smell moreso then skunk...

Try setting a nug out overnight.  See what happens.  Makes my buds premo smoke...

Also you can tell with the stems... i cant break mine; they snap and pull like string cheese...

Offlinedutc2006
Grow or Die

Folding@home Statistics
Re: poorly-dried bud? [Re: Kine]
    #357761 - 02/04/10 05:54 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quickly dried bud will taste like hay.  Depending on the strain quickly dried bud could still smell good. 

Bud that has not been cured long enough and bud that was over-fertilized or improperly flushed will be harsh to the throat.

Offlinethe man

Re: poorly-dried bud? [Re: and0rr]
    #357787 - 02/04/10 06:51 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

my point was that perhaps it was mex weed. adds the the evidence if the "grower" doesnt know the strain. if ya know what i mean...

peace

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

Re: poorly-dried bud? [Re: the man]
    #357870 - 02/04/10 11:15 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for all the great info!
After returning home and doing more investigatin', I'm inclined to agree that it wasn't dried enough, perhaps not even cured. When broken up, the buds smell much more weedy, though that schwagg smell still comes through strong. But much more evident is that, upon attempting to break a stem in half, it doesn't crack cleanly, but does the "string cheese" thing Kine mentioned.

For information's sake, could someone elaborate on what dutc2006 said about harshness? I understand that flushing properly allows the plant to use up excess nutrients (particularly nitrogen) so that they aren't in the final product. I've heard people claim that not flushing gives the bud a "chemical" taste, which is ambiguous, but I figure I know what they mean. Is this true? Is it possible to tell by smoking whether bud has been flushed or not, or could one easily mistake the harshness for improper drying? Obviously there are other signs that bud is improperly dried, but I'm trying to better understand the effects on taste.

OfflineKine
    #357892 - 02/05/10 12:11 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

God said:
Thanks for all the great info!
After returning home and doing more investigatin', I'm inclined to agree that it wasn't dried enough, perhaps not even cured. When broken up, the buds smell much more weedy, though that schwagg smell still comes through strong. But much more evident is that, upon attempting to break a stem in half, it doesn't crack cleanly, but does the "string cheese" thing Kine mentioned.

For information's sake, could someone elaborate on what dutc2006 said about harshness? I understand that flushing properly allows the plant to use up excess nutrients (particularly nitrogen) so that they aren't in the final product. I've heard people claim that not flushing gives the bud a "chemical" taste, which is ambiguous, but I figure I know what they mean. Is this true? Is it possible to tell by smoking whether bud has been flushed or not, or could one easily mistake the harshness for improper drying? Obviously there are other signs that bud is improperly dried, but I'm trying to better understand the effects on taste.

IMO, taste comes down to the smoker.  What i describe as one taste, you may describe as another.  And in a more recent debate with friends we were talking about flushing and someone had a early finisher that he didnt get but like 4 days flushing and he said it was fine... so as far as that, im not sure.  I had always believed in ferts causing bad taste... but i may be wrong...

Offlinedutc2006
Grow or Die

Folding@home Statistics
Re: poorly-dried bud? [Re: Kine]
    #357897 - 02/05/10 02:28 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

When I said harshness, I meant that stingy hot burn you get in the back of your throat the second you inhale. 

I have a friend that doesn't believe in flushing.  They think it is a waste of time, deprives plants of valuable nutrients when they need them the most, and blah blah blah.  They also think their bud tastes good.  I think their bud tastes like shit.  I think my bud tastes like God's vagina, but I also use molasses and Sweet, and I flush my soil plants for two weeks, starting with a Clearex flush, then straight pHed water and Clearex 'til chop.  Admittedly, my method is much more of a pain in the ass.

Taste is in the tongue of the beholder:grin:

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

Re: poorly-dried bud? [Re: dutc2006]
    #358110 - 02/05/10 02:58 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I agree with both of you that taste is pretty subjective, and I think it can be biased a bit, as in the case of dutc's friend, who has many incentives to continue doing things the easy way. dutc, what do they think of your bud (the stuff that tastes like my vag :grin:) compared to their own? I guess they may not be honest, though...you did tell us that theirs tastes shitty, but probably didn't tell them that.  I don't want to tell my friend that his/his friends' bud is no good, because (1) he's quite proud of it and (2) I don't want to display any expertise in the "quality cannabis" department, lest he grow suspicious.

Offlinedutc2006
Grow or Die

Folding@home Statistics
    #358299 - 02/06/10 01:22 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

God said:
dutc, what do they think of your bud (the stuff that tastes like my vag :grin:) compared to their own? I guess they may not be honest, though...

Exactly.  They are the type of person that already knows everything. Trying to teach them the reason that their bud doesn't taste as good is in vain.  They know it does, they know the answer, and to do it my way concedes defeat.:shrug:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies