Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

2 noob questions - ratio for mix? - medium for seedlings?
    #317705 - 11/18/09 10:51 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

question 1:

i have a 12 quart bag of fox farm ocean forest and an 8 quart bag of miracle gro perlite. a friend of mine told me to use 1 part perlite to 3 parts soil. i just wanted to come here and ask around and see what everyone else thinks. i know someone will probably tell me to go buy this and that and make it even better, but i just want to work with what i have. i plan on picking up a bottle of fox farm grow big

currently i have 1 sour diesel cutting a friend of mine gave me. it isnt the best clone, but its alive, and looks like its doing quite well. only had it a few days, and i bought a 150 watt HPS yesterday and it appears to be reacting to the light change. it was originally under 4, 4' T5 fluorescent tubes.

question 2:

i have 5 seeds (dank bag seed) germinating at the moment, and i plan on using the usual cheap plastic red cup to start the seeds in after they germinate. my question here is, should i plant them in just the fox farm soil? or should i plant it in the soil/perlite mix? i would think if i used plain soil in the first cups, the transfer would be much much easier. i can imagine it falling apart if i use the perlite mix.

i hope this is the right forum!! this is my first post (that im aware of)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDr. SiekadellykM
Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ketamine Flag
Re: 2 noob questions - ratio for mix? - medium for seedlings? [Re: Pilze]
    #317730 - 11/18/09 11:22 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

1/3 mix sounds about right:thumbup:
and if it was me i would use just some soil in small cups to sprout them then just transfer them over to a bigger container with the mix, but it dont matter your choice...
just make sure the cups have drainage holes.

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

Re: 2 noob questions - ratio for mix? - medium for seedlings? [Re: Dr. Siekadellyk]
    #317738 - 11/18/09 11:30 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

word. thank you :smile:

i popped 4 holes in the bottom of each cup. i usually put the seed in the soil and then water and put under a light, but im just going to germinate them in a wet paper towel and then transfer.

Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #317742 - 11/18/09 11:47 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

Loc: CANADA
Re: 2 noob questions - ratio for mix? - medium for seedlings? [Re: Dr. Siekadellyk]
    #317750 - 11/18/09 12:02 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Germinate using paper towel or water shot glass method as this increases your chances.

I use the same "mix" in my starter cups as I use in my grow pots, same idea as you, beer cups until I see second/third nodes, repot.  I feel using the same growing medium throughout helps them adapt and I have had stellar results doing it this way.

I use a similar mix ideal as you, basically it is 35% Perlite, 60% Sphaghum Peat Moss, 5% "other", the other being my formula of various bone meal, blood meal, fish emulsion worm castings etc.  But the concept is the same.

They won't fall apart badly when you replant if you do it correctly, do it when they are semi dry and cut down the side of the cup and basically peel the cup away and plop it into your hole in your large container and voila, transplant done.

Also, I create my 3 gallon containers at the same time as my mix for starter cups, primarily to allow the microbes of my organic mixture to get working within the soil.  This is particularly important in you are using bone meal, it can take weeks for bone meal to break down into useful food etc.  You need humus creation to occur as well, the ultimate in PH control and this is a process that does not happen instantly either.

I throughly water the 3 gallon containers with a 1/8th dose of Fish Emulsion as well the day before the transplant and let them drain off, dry a bit for that 24 hours.  Similar, I lightly water the cups the day before.  I find them the transfer goes very smooth the next day and I do not bother watering them after transplant, rather, wait another day then lightly water.  Cannot stress enough...lightly water...it is a fine art.

Good luck with your grow.

--------------------
"I never post unless high.  Well that does explain a lot then."

"The best part about going to sleep each night is knowing that my plants will have grown more when I wake up in the morning."

"I smoked it then I became so tired that my eyes shut down automatically without my consent" - My Chinese GF, Oct 23, 2009 :smile:

Starting your first GROW, things you should ask/answer before you do

Current Grow Journal

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

Re: 2 noob questions - ratio for mix? - medium for seedlings? [Re: Azyle00]
    #317763 - 11/18/09 12:48 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

awesome. thanks for the responses guys, greatly appreciated. the cutting i have is already taking off nicely. ive had it for a few days, and since its been under this new light, it has noticeable growth. at first i was a bit skeptical about this cutting, but im starting to think it'll do just fine.

i grew a couple plants a few years back under a CFL and then put a 150 watt hps on it and they just blew UP. i cant wait to see what this lil' gal turns into. :smile:

OfflineeTarded
Clubbed to Death...
Male User Gallery

#317801 - 11/18/09 01:48 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I use roughly 10-15% vol of perlite to soil and about 5-10% vol verm.  I just eyeball everything, but that's about the right percentages.  It also depends on how much perlite is already in the fox farm soil.  Regardless, 3:1 will likely do fine.  If you notice that water pours out of the bottom of your cup/pots when watering, no big, just decrease the % perlite next time, and maybe add some verm to help with water retention.  Every commercial soil is a little different.

I would just throw the seedlings in the fox farm soil with the perlite mixed in.  I use the same soil mix for seedlings/clones, veg and flowering.

As for the task of repotting, wait until the soil is more than dry enough to water, but not dry enough to wilt the plant and then run a flat tool (I use a butter knife...)around the circumference of the pot to separate the soil mass from the walls.  Then just turn the cup upside down over the new pot with the stem between your middle and ring fingers and hit the bottom with your other hand.  The entire soil mass will come out at once and can be easily repotted with next to no mess.  I used to cut off the cups too, but then I got lazy.

I like to use those translucent 16 oz cups for clones and seedlings so I can see the progress of the root structure and it also gives me a good idea when I need to transplant.  Just my personal preference though.

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

Re: 2 noob questions - ratio for mix? - medium for seedlings? [Re: eTarded]
    #317944 - 11/18/09 04:37 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Do not use translucent cups.  Roots hate light.

--------------------

"The best part about going to sleep each night is knowing that my plants will have grown more when I wake up in the morning."

"I smoked it then I became so tired that my eyes shut down automatically without my consent" - My Chinese GF, Oct 23, 2009 :smile:

Current Grow Journal

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

#318016 - 11/18/09 06:22 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

yea, i just watched jorge cervantes' grow dvd and thats what exactly what he said.

that clone is LOVING the light. the temp is around 75 degrees on the ground, where the clone is, and the light is a little over 3 feet off the ground.

im thinking about buying one of these:

http://www.bestgrowlights.com/site/403863/page/897085f

and setting it up in one of my extra rooms. seems to be fairly stealthy..... its big, but if anyone came in the room and saw it they wouldnt know what it is. i made a thread about these indoor greenhouses, but got no response.

anyone have one or know how well they work? i would love to get one.

Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #318101 - 11/18/09 08:02 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Build a DIY stealth closet for the same price.

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

#318260 - 11/18/09 10:36 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Your light is 3 feet away from the plant?  That is too far away.  I have a 1000 watt HPS and it is 14 inches away from the top of the plant in a cool tube.  You want that light as close as possible to the top of the plant.  Without knowing what kind of cooling or fans if any that you use, I still think you can get that lamp closer than 3 feet. 

Only reason to exercise caution of course is that the plant is fairly young still and you do not want to burn it out.  Use your hand as a judgment.

More pics?

--------------------

Current Grow Journal

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

#318262 - 11/18/09 10:44 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

well i have 3 san pedros in there too. thats really what the light was for, but i happened to get a clone from a friend before getting the light. the clone is rooted, but still very small, and i dont want to burn it. i try to keep the temp around the clone about 73-75.

Edited by Pilze (11/18/09 10:53 PM)

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

#318681 - 11/19/09 05:25 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Are you seeing new growth on it yet?

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

#318693 - 11/19/09 05:42 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Azyle00 said:
Are you seeing new growth on it yet?

most definitely!!! this plant loves the light...

i came home to find my light fucked up. it was just a fucked up unit. i thought it was about to explode, so i turned it off and took it back and they replaced it with a new one and so far, its working perfect. same exact sun system lamp, nothing different.

Edited by Pilze (11/19/09 05:52 PM)

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #320084 - 11/22/09 05:40 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Sunsystem is a great company.  I have had ballasts from them last a really long time.  And the few times I had problem they have always just handed me a brand new unit.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck