Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Growing cactus from seed
    #29457 - 05/14/08 12:50 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

To germinate cactus seeds, use a fine mix of 1/3 washed sand, 1/3 cactus compost, and 1/3 perlite. Mix it thoroughly and put it in 10cm plastic pots or seed pans (with adequate drainage holes). Gently pat down the mix to eliminate large air pockets and smooth the surface with a straight edge.

Carefully sprinkle the seeds evenly over the surface. Try to ensure you leave a space of at least 2cm between each seed to prevent overcrowding later on. If the seeds are large, simply lay them on top of the soil. If they are very fine, mix them with sand or talcum powder to scatter them more evenly. Cover the surface with a layer of sand, perlite or vermiculite about twice the thickness of the seeds, and stand the pots in a shallow pan of room temperature water. When the water begins to rise to the surface, remove the container from the water. It is vital to maintain a high level of humidity. This can be achieved by placing the pots in a propagator, putting sheets of glass over the pots, or simply putting the pots in plastic bags. You will need to mist the pots daily with fine spray pump bottle. Do not let the compost fully dry out, and do not saturate it either, both extremes will prevent germination.

If posible, you should provide bottom heat, or keep the pots in a place where the temperature can be kept around 25°C, or 33°C daytime maximum and 15°C night-time minimum.

Under these conditions the seeds may germinate in one week, otherwise they may take significantly longer. Cacti seedlings are prone to 'damping-off' fungus, a fuzzy mould which grows on the surface of the soil and the plants. An application of Cheshunt Compound whilst misting will usually prevent/cure this. Once the seeds begin germination, stop misting the seedlings and provide water from underneath (as in the first watering).

Once the seeds have germinated, ensure the pots receive adequate lighting, either natural or fluorescent. If you are growing under natural light do not let harsh direct light reach the seedlings as they will burn. A cotton cloth or tissue paper will provide decent shading. If possible aim for a day lenght of 16-18 hours.
Cactus Seedlings

Over a period of months, gradually acclimatise the seedlings to warmer, drier, and brighter conditions. Water less often, but apply a greater quantity of water each time. After about six months, the seedlings can be set in the same conditions as other cacti. Also, you can begin applying fertaliser at 1/4 recommended strength.

When they are one to two years old or crowded enough to be just about touching each other, transplant into individual pots. Some quick growing, or very spiny species may need transplanting much sooner.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibledrSE
Pseudo Reality
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Twighlight Zone
Re: Growing cactus from seed [Re: Picklez]
    #29668 - 05/14/08 05:15 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

very good information. germinating isn't my issue. its keeping them growing a month after germination is where i fall short.

--------------------
Grow Room

OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Growing cactus from seed [Re: drSE]
    #29672 - 05/14/08 05:22 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

I have found that they do best indoors for awhile. Just occasionally watering and leaving them under fluros. The heat will cause they to turn red and just kind of die off.

Offlinehighasfuck
The last samuri
Male User Gallery

Loc: So Cal
    #29881 - 05/14/08 08:10 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

I got a some San pedro and torch seeds not so long ago. I was to busy to continue to germinate them but i had sucsess with one.
Heres a few tips;
1. It's very important to keep the soil wet. Some people say as long as its not dry its fine. I dont know what there talking about. It worked great for me when i had it VERY moist 24 7.

2. Get a spray can and mist it as often as you can.

3. DIRECT SUNLIGHT! I cant stress that enough. 75-85 temp works great for me.

4. Do the cut water bottel humidity thing. Ill do i simple tek later.

OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Growing cactus from seed [Re: highasfuck]
    #30006 - 05/14/08 09:47 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Direct sunlight is a big no-no with cacti germination. Pups are very sensitive to direct light and heat

Offlinehighasfuck
The last samuri
Male User Gallery

Loc: So Cal
    #30262 - 05/14/08 11:46 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Not full on sun the whole time. But you need them IN the sun. Not under shade. I find that i get the best results from about 5 hours of sun on them. And the rest they just chill.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies