Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineEro42oH2o
master of the bush
 User Gallery

CFL's
    #280585 - 09/15/09 10:52 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Anybody grow with cfl's only. I'm thinking about trading in the h.i.d for a cfl, or high power led system and some change/addition for flowering. I imagine gram per watt will be much easier to hit but it still seems like a big commitment.

I've tried cool white 26watt cfls for vegging and had no problems other than the lack of any heat..leaving more work to pour of excess water rather than it evaporating before i got to it.

Then i'de throw em under the 400 and let em grow out for a week on vegg, then give em the 12's and watch em bud..!!!!BUT this is still very noticable on my electricity bill.

So...My question is more...any body flower under anything but a HID?
With fair results?

--------------------
All of the statements and posts I make or have made are fake. I just found all the pictures and copied and pasted them here. I am in no way associated with any of the materials discussed here. I'm just bored, and lame.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: CFL's [Re: Ero42oH2o]
    #280589 - 09/15/09 11:01 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

CFL's power to lumen ratio is far less than that of a HID. It will be much harder to achieve higher grams/watt, not easier. LED's will one day be the light of choice due to its incredible efficiency but for most people, that time just hasn't come yet.

If you like being a pioneer, (and have money to burn), try the LED's and let us know how they work out. I know we have at least one awesome LED grow log kicking around. But I would steer well clear of moving back down to CFL's.

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

OfflineZippy
Needlepoint
Male User Gallery

Loc: Santa Cruz
Re: CFL's [Re: Dr. Penguin]
    #280591 - 09/15/09 11:12 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I'm doing an experiment right now flowering under two 32 watt t8 tube fluorescents. I'll let you know how that turns out.

General consensus though is that the HID is worth the output. I also have plants (from the same seeds as my floro grow) flowering under a 1000w hps, and they're doing MUCH better. I'm even considering just dropping the experiment and moving all my plants to the HPS, just because of the noticeable difference in size/density/etc.

To answer your question, you CAN veg and flower under cfl's without problem and get fair results (I'm watching it happen now... and I've heard it work for others). Just don't expect what you would expect under that 400w :shrug:

--------------------
Even a fish could stay out of trouble if he learned to keep his mouth shut.
Indoor Floro Troublemaker/ Troublemaker x WW grow
Indoor 1000w HPS Soil Grow- *updated*

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: CFL's [Re: Zippy]
    #280595 - 09/15/09 11:20 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I think my grow came out pretty fucking nice considering I was using CFL's. I wouldn't knock them at all, I got an ounce and 3/4 out of just one plant only 18" tall

--------------------

InvisibleDr. SiekadellykM
Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ketamine Flag
Re: CFL's [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #280596 - 09/15/09 11:28 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

To answer your question, you CAN veg and flower under cfl's without problem and get fair results. Just don't expect what you would expect under that 400w

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

OfflineZippy
Needlepoint
Male User Gallery

#280599 - 09/15/09 11:29 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Mmmm budddzzzz :ganja:
:super:

That's 250w of CFL though, which (even though its CFL) is still fairly powerful.

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: CFL's [Re: Dr. Siekadellyk]
    #280612 - 09/15/09 11:54 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Dr. Siekadellyk said:
Quote:

To answer your question, you CAN veg and flower under cfl's without problem and get fair results. Just don't expect what you would expect under that 400w

lol, so you're calling those results, "fair"?

--------------------

OfflineZippy
Needlepoint
Male User Gallery

#280614 - 09/15/09 11:59 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

My results with 64w of cfl are fair.

YOUR results with 250w are GODLY :satansmoking:

--------------------

OfflineEro42oH2o
master of the bush
 User Gallery

#280615 - 09/15/09 12:00 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Nice job Harry.  About the LED's My buddy builds panels with i think 15watt l.e.d's. And selects the colors to stay in the optimum wavelength/color of light output with out going over. But i think he uses a different panel for flowering with a few additional specialty lights. Including psoriasis/vertiligo medical for a few hrs a day toward the end. But POINT BEING he said he can hardly even tell a difference on his E bill if he has them on or off.

--------------------
All of the statements and posts I make or have made are fake. I just found all the pictures and copied and pasted them here. I am in no way associated with any of the materials discussed here. I'm just bored, and lame.

Edited by Ero42oH2o (09/15/09 12:09 PM)

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: CFL's [Re: Zippy]
    #280616 - 09/15/09 12:03 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

lol thanks, I'm just messing around anyway

--------------------

InvisibleDr. SiekadellykM
Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ketamine Flag
    #280620 - 09/15/09 12:10 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

eh. ...you got nice results!, but you also used 250W which is still a nice output of lumens regardless of using cfls.........Ive also gotten pretty good results using cfls, nothing like my 1000W HPS does, but still good........ ive also seen pretty skimpy buds using cfls......it depends on how much wattage you use.....they do give nice trichome production, but nothing extremely fat and dense....

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

OfflineEro42oH2o
master of the bush
 User Gallery

Re: CFL's [Re: Dr. Siekadellyk]
    #280625 - 09/15/09 12:16 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Lighting beliefs..what you think?

STOP IT WITH THOSE FLICKERING, COAL BURNING BULBS! LEDs are THE state of the art lighting. These lamps use surface mount LEDs which provide the highest efficiency. The light is emitted  directly from the surface. Light often passes through plastic or glass which reduces the effectiveness of lesser LEDs. Every lamp except LEDs puts out light as an indirect result of an initial process. For example, fluorescent bulbs, touted as being energy saving and green start out by producing UVC (almost as high frequency as X rays). The phosphors painted on the inside of the bulb, including mercury, reduce the energy of the UVC down to visible energy spikes. This makes the bulbs considerably less efficient than LEDs at producing visible light. They also give you a very unbalanced spectrum. The energy spikes, whose sum only gives the illusion of white, makes for a very irritating and depressing environment. Full spectrum LEDs give you an appealing balance of all the frequencies in the visible spectrum without creating any UV and without containing Mercury. Even the longest running metal halide will only give you 12,000 hours with significant reduction in spectrum from the moment it's fired up.
If you want light bulbs that will never fail, give you 100% healthy light for study or work, and save you as much money on your electric bills as possible GO LED TODAY! These bulbs I have been tested and are completely reliable. Although they are rated at 100,000 hours, they are designed to last FOREVER!!!!

The actinic plus is effective combined with the red LED to stimulate an even amount of growth in chlorophyll-a, chlorophyll-b and carotenoids. This arrangement is recommended for plants that require high levels of carotenoids.

The Pure Actinic, combined with the red LED makes for a perfect lighting arrangement when coloration is of high importance. The violet light produced by the actinic helps colorize plants genetically predisposed to purple coloration.

---HIGH FREQUENCY SPECIALTY BULBS---
This lamp puts out a high ratio UVB in an energy spike at 311 nanometers. This lamp is best used within the last week of flowering while flushing in a sugar solution. A noticable increase in trichomes and active chemicals will occur.

Fluorescents are great for higher frequencies like UVB since the phosphors don't have to reduce the energy level very much. LEDs that put out UVB are very expensive and low output in comparison. This is why I choose Fluorescent for this task.

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: CFL's [Re: Ero42oH2o]
    #280628 - 09/15/09 12:21 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

nice cut and paste skills

--------------------

OfflineEro42oH2o
master of the bush
 User Gallery

#280637 - 09/15/09 12:27 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

ha its from a friends public myspace site. He wont mind. :-)

--------------------

Edited by Ero42oH2o (09/15/09 12:28 PM)

OfflineOjom
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #280969 - 09/15/09 11:40 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
I think my grow came out pretty fucking nice considering I was using CFL's. I wouldn't knock them at all, I got an ounce and 3/4 out of just one plant only 18" tall

I am really impressed with your results using CFLs. Could you share with us some more details on your lighting setup? I understand you had about 250 real watts of CFLs and that 6 or 7 of those were 26 watts. I'm assuming that means you had 2 42 watt bulbs as well. How do you think those two wattages compare to each other in regards to light output, heat output, how close to the leaves they can be kept, and the size of the bulbs themselves? The 26 watt bulbs are cheaper, walmart has 6 packs for $13-20, while the 42 watt bulbs are about $17 for two. I don't want to invest too much into the CFL setup as there are plans for a 250 watt HPS in the future, but whether that happens or not remains to be seen, so the CFL setup may need to be sufficient enough to provide a few harvests.

Anyone with mounting or configuration tips for CFLs please chime in.

InvisibleDoPeYsMuRf

Re: CFL's [Re: Ojom]
    #281003 - 09/16/09 12:34 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Here's what I have going right now.

I have a 400 watt HPS that I'm going to add once I start to flower.

This is 276 watt, 19200 lumen setup built for about 40 bucks.

I could have used the bigger bulbs, but like you said they are quite a bit more expensive.

OfflineOjom
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: CFL's [Re: DoPeYsMuRf]
    #281040 - 09/16/09 01:06 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Those are interesting fixtures. How much mobility do they provide you with? Do they swivel at the base or just at the one obvious point? Do you have a separate power cord for each one?

InvisibleDoPeYsMuRf

#281048 - 09/16/09 01:26 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

They swivel 360 degrees if I want. They are just threaded into a 2x4.

I spliced them all together in a series so 1 plug powers them all.
I also added an end so I have 3 extra outlets if I need them.

OfflineOjom
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: CFL's [Re: DoPeYsMuRf]
    #281064 - 09/16/09 01:53 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

That setup seems ingenious. Looks like it could allow for a number of different light angles / configurations.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #281067 - 09/16/09 02:19 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Jeeze this is starting to become a joke. Never in my life have I seen a cfl grow that wouldn't have been over 75% better if the person used the same wattage of HID light. Compare a 250watt cfl and a 250watt HID. You could have used a 175watt Hid and still had almost double the light of the 250watt cfl and ran it for less money.

LED light. Yeah I do think this is the wave of the future but it's just a small ripple on the water right now, Put it this way, if this is gonna take over HID's why hasn't one of the major companies expressed a interest in them.

This is with 2000watts of HID light  I wanna see 2000watts of cfl's do that.
CFL's are for cuttings and seedlings. (To be honest I don't even suggest them for seedlings)

I see beautiful buds grown under cfl's and every time I think "he could have had 4oz for every one he grew for the same growing expense." I'm not even gonna get into the light penetration issues with the cfl lights.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds