Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinechucklehead
Super Villian
Male

Loc: The Hall of Doom
Care to help me make a shopping list?
    #191765 - 02/02/09 10:37 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Well I'm new and I clearly don't know what I'm doing.  So far I've managed to kill quite a few perfectly good seeds in my Aerogarden.  They start off nice then bang they fall over dead.  Some sooner than others.  I'm evidently doing something wrong there and I really don't have the time or inclination to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I'm going to switch to soil.  I have done a little reading and the consensus is soil is simpler and easier and more forgiving.

I'm growing indoors.

I'm growing plants that aren't supposed to get larger than 4 feet and most of the plants aren't supposed to even get two feet tall.

I'm growing for personal stuff not for profit.  Plus I'm trying to learn a little something about growing.  Seems like a fun hobby.

I like Indica and Sativa type highs. Depending on the day depends on the type of high I want.  Eventually I want to find a strain that does an awesome job of killing pain and I can grow it indoors.  For now I'll go with the seeds I have.  Though I'll probably buy some more soon.  There are quite a few strains I'd love to try.  For now I'm just growing autoflowering plants.  In the future I'll get fem seeds only and do a better job of controlling the light.

I think I know what size pot to buy (half gallon for every foot I guess?) 

I have 8 26W 6500K CFLs, fixtures, and timers.  More can be purchase as I need them.  I'll get lower Kelvin lights for flowering.  After reviewing the grow room, light can be controlled fairly well. 

Here's the part that confuses me.  I'm not sure what type of soil to purchase and what all I should put in the pots in what ratios.  I've read a few post where people buy so many exotic fertilizers etc and I don't understand why that's necessary.  Won't weed just grow in a pot of good quality potting soil?  I have plants in my house that have been sitting in the same soil for years.  Sure I add a little now and then but for the most part these things are sitting in the same soil I got them in 5 years ago.  The only thing I give these plants are water and sunlight and the occasional a trim.

Can I just run down to the store and pick up some perlite, vermiculite, and potting soil like the Miracle Grow Moisture Control or maybe one with nice PH balancing? 

Then put some perlite at the bottom of the pot for drainage.  Add some vermiculite to the potting soil.  Poor the soil/verm mix on top of the half inch of perlite at the bottom of the pot.  Then make a two inch deep and 4 inch diameter well of vermiculite at the top of the pot where I start the seedling?  Add water and done.  Why wouldn't that work?  Am I asking for fungus problems or something?  I can pasteurize the spoil first to give the seedlings a head start.

I have chicken manure, oyster shells, hydrated lime, gypsum, cocoa coir, and course grade vermiculite.  Though I would prefer to keep things simple if I truly require any of these things they are available.

I have to go to the store tomorrow to pick up peat moss for my other projects.  I figured if I'm there I may as well pick up a few other things too. 

Anyone care to help me make a shopping list?

I'd really like to keep this as simple as possible.

Thank you,
C.H.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleusg543
◕‿◕

Re: Care to help me make a shopping list? [Re: chucklehead]
    #191771 - 02/02/09 11:37 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

shopping list?

milk
eggs
baking soda
bananas

should be set man

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
Re: Care to help me make a shopping list? [Re: usg543]
    #191775 - 02/02/09 11:44 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

You can use a nice soil from your local home depot, lowes, hydro store...Order it...

Fox farms is what I recommend personally. Yes you can make your own soil but it will not save you money...Maybe a few dollars.

I'm sorry I'm high and all of that is hard for me to sort through...I'm coming down off adderall too. If you could make a list of your few questions I will be of more help.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

OfflineSevenFingers
Yamabushi
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #192204 - 02/04/09 11:08 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

chucklehead said:
I think I know what size pot to buy (half gallon for every foot I guess?)

It's a better idea to start in small pots of 16 oz cups until a rootball develops. Then you can transplant into larger containers. Growth will be faster with this method.

Quote:

chucklehead said:
I have 8 26W 6500K CFLs, fixtures, and timers.  More can be purchase as I need them.  I'll get lower Kelvin lights for flowering.  After reviewing the grow room, light can be controlled fairly well.

You would be wise to add some 4000K lights to that, and possibly some Warm Whites also.

Quote:

chucklehead said:
Here's the part that confuses me.  I'm not sure what type of soil to purchase and what all I should put in the pots in what ratios.  I've read a few post where people buy so many exotic fertilizers etc and I don't understand why that's necessary.  Won't weed just grow in a pot of good quality potting soil?  I have plants in my house that have been sitting in the same soil for years.  Sure I add a little now and then but for the most part these things are sitting in the same soil I got them in 5 years ago.  The only thing I give these plants are water and sunlight and the occasional a trim.

Houseplants are bred for being in houses, with little light and slow growth. You will definitely want your special crop to grow quickly.

Quote:

chucklehead said:
Can I just run down to the store and pick up some perlite, vermiculite, and potting soil like the Miracle Grow Moisture Control or maybe one with nice PH balancing?

As a first timer, there is no reason to buy specialty soils. Grab something cheap and add perlite to it. Maybe add some organics if you can get them like bat guano and sea bird guano.

Quote:

chucklehead said:
Then put some perlite at the bottom of the pot for drainage.  Add some vermiculite to the potting soil.  Poor the soil/verm mix on top of the half inch of perlite at the bottom of the pot.  Then make a two inch deep and 4 inch diameter well of vermiculite at the top of the pot where I start the seedling?  Add water and done.  Why wouldn't that work?  Am I asking for fungus problems or something?  I can pasteurize the spoil first to give the seedlings a head start.

Vermiculite is not a good addition to use anymore. It is made with formaldehyde and should be avoided if possible.

Shopping list:

Tropical soil mix
Perlite
Organic Nutes (for veg and bloom)

You can make a great airy water holding mix with tropical mix and coco coir. But if you use coir, make sure you rinse with pH balanced water before you make your mix.

Best of luck.

--------------------
Stay High, Stay Safe.

Offlinechucklehead
Super Villian
Male

Loc: The Hall of Doom
Re: Care to help me make a shopping list? [Re: SevenFingers]
    #192791 - 02/05/09 09:35 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Thank you SevenFingers for taking the time to explain that.  It is appreciated.  I just germinated three new seedlings.  So I'll put them in some cups right now in some airy soil.

--------------------

OfflineSevenFingers
Yamabushi
 User Gallery

#192895 - 02/06/09 10:45 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

No problem dude. If people didn't explain these things to me in days gone by I never would've learned what I know. If you have more questions just ask away :smile:

--------------------
Stay High, Stay Safe.

OfflineJSweed

Re: Care to help me make a shopping list? [Re: SevenFingers]
    #193431 - 02/08/09 09:28 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

usg Finally we can agree on something.  I hate fat people too.

the local community college that I have attended many horticulture classes used to make their own soil.  they no longer do this as Pro-mix does an excellent job of providing MANY, but a lot of basic mixes. 

Been reading about growing some green for years on and off so I am a noob when it comes to weed, but basic plants I can handle pretty well.

OfflineBudZilla

Re: Care to help me make a shopping list? [Re: JSweed]
    #197092 - 02/18/09 12:09 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

You are far better off making your own soil mix than buying foxfarm crap which doesn't have enough nutes for exceptional weed. 

Pick up a bag of bonemeal (non-steamed) for P, greensand or collect ashes for K, and a bag of bloodmeal for N, and some perlite.  Mix ratio of 2 bonemeal: 2 ashes: 1 bloodmeal, then take that and mix with 1/3 yard dirt and 1/3 perlite.  Wet the mix and let it sit for a week to start decomposing then pop plants of any age into it, they will not burn and you will have the richest soil possible.

OfflineBudZilla

Re: Care to help me make a shopping list? [Re: BudZilla]
    #197094 - 02/18/09 12:11 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Vermiculite is not a good addition to use anymore. It is made with formaldehyde and should be avoided if possible.

Verm is lava rock, there is no formaldahyde in it.  Verm though is not good for soil because it tends to compact, perlite is much better.

OfflineSevenFingers
Yamabushi
 User Gallery

Re: Care to help me make a shopping list? [Re: BudZilla]
    #197130 - 02/18/09 07:19 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

BudZilla said:
Verm is lava rock, there is no formaldahyde in it.  Verm though is not good for soil because it tends to compact, perlite is much better.

Quote:

I don't know what is true scientifically, but the previous statement was made by Ed Rosenthal and I just forwarded it to you guys.

--------------------
Stay High, Stay Safe.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate