Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesnufkin
Male
Hi / Preparing for next attempt
    #135858 - 10/22/08 08:13 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Hi guys. Discovered this board through the shroomery (never posted there though) and thought I'd join this party since I've somehow got myself into amateur cannabis cultivation.

I started growing a seed I got from a friend. At that point I had never actually smoked before. I'm just generally curious and growing a plant sounded fun. I also bought Jorge Cervantes's Marijuana Horticulture. Reading through that book I realized I had a lot of work to do if I wanted to do this properly. I got a 125W CFL with a deflector - the "Warm White" variety (that was my first mistake) and set it up in my closet. Then I bought some way too small pots (second mistake).

The plant did grow though, and fast. There was some serious stretching between internodes because of the inadequate lighting. After about three weeks of vegetative growth I switches the light cycle from 24hrs to 12/12. If I remember correctly, a week after that the plant was starting to fill out my closet and showing its sex. It turned out to be a male. How sad. I ended up cutting it down and throwing it away. At least I'm a couple of lessons richer.

Now I'm expecting a female clone and I want to be really prepared this time.

Firstly, my closet is about a meter in width, 55cm in depth, and 155cm in height. Is this too small or will some proper lighting and pruning take care of it? I'm especially concerned with the height of the closet as the first plant was reaching into the CFL bulb and I could not place it any higher.

Some of the leaves on my plant were looking a "droopy" and the side of the leaves were just sort of hanging down. Other looked alright. Could it be lack of airflow/too much heat? I have since then installed a fan that will suck air from my room in to the closet, so I can keep it closed. Also I think I'm going to install another fan just to keep the air moving.

The pH of the soil. Cervantes says to keep it between 6.5 and 7. Green House Seed Co. usually keeps it at under 6. What's the deal?

The lighting. I already have a 125W CFL bulb at 2700K. I was thinking about supplementing it with 4x32W CFL at 6400K. Comments?

I took a few pictures but I seem to have completely lost the USB cable for the camera.
Anyways this seems like a nice community and I'll probably lurking around as long as I'm growing.

--------------------
Grows: 1 2

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Hi / Preparing for next attempt [Re: snufkin]
    #135876 - 10/22/08 08:53 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

155cm is plenty of height but you will defintly need to learn some training techniques. I recommend early topping (to promote the growth of side branches) to grow wide plants to utilize the horizontal size of your space, I have had great sucsess with low stress training 'LST'. Cervantes should have something in there about both of those techniques, if not, I can explain them a bit.

Droopy leaves can be caused by all sorts of things, heat, over/under watering, and pests all come to mind. Fans should help you out if heat is an issue. I recommend getting a good digital thermometer that records high and low temps.

Are you sure greenhouse was talking about soil? Hydroponic systems are kept at a lower PH, but I would go with 6.5-7 in soil.

More light can never hurt! (unless temps are an issue :rolleyes:)

It's always great to see new faces around here, especially ones that grow! Its a fantastic hobby we have, keep it up and you will have a blast. Maybe someday you can try some of your own stash, home grown really is like nothing else.:thumbup:

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals