Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Lets make Hexane Hash!! **COMPLETED**
    #65921 - 06/25/08 03:05 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

If you like smoking honey oil but hate dealing with butane, then this method might work out for you!  It's relatively cheap, all materials can be found at local retailers, and it leaves you with a product that's just as good (or better) then butane extracted oil!

Materials Needed:

1 Mason jar (the more trim/buds you use the bigger the jar)
No Residue Electrical Contact Cleaner
Coffee Filters or Filter Paper
Glass Baking Pan or Glass Bowl

This is the electrical contact cleaner i used.  This is not the best brand! Be warned!  This product contains some ethanol which WILL LEACH OUT SOME CHLOROPHYLL!!  However, if you don't want to take the time to order this, you can pick up the QD cleaner at home depot or lowes (i think ace hardware has it as well) for 8$.  If you have a chemical supply store in your town you can always call and see if they stock it.  It's not illegal, requires no permits, and is not a watched chemical.  Just dress nice, pay in cash, and you should be fine.

Put the red straw in the nozzle, take your jar (i used a quart jar), and then press the straw against the side of the glass.  Spray the hexane into the jar until the can is empty.  Note: this sucks!  Takes about 2-3 mins to empty one can, your finger will get a bit tired holding the damn nozzle down.  One can gave me a little under a pint, which ended up being a little more then i needed for the trim i have.  I suggest filling the jar you want to use with your trim first to get a good look at how much hexane you will need.  If you want you can use two jars and empty the hexane in one and then pour it over the trim in the other jar.  This would probably work best for larger extractions. 

EDIT: A pint of hexane may seem small, but it's more then enough to handle a quart jar full of trim.  As long as you don't try and cram a 1/4 lb of trim into the jar, one can of cleaner is more then enough.  Once you start shaking and soak the material, it will settle down a bit and that full jar might settle to about a 1/4 of a jar.  Either way, as long as there's a way for the hexane to swirl and come in contact with the trim, you'll get a nice efficient pull.

This is the jar with one can emptied into it. Once in the mason jar, dont seal the lid right away, make sure all the tetrafluoroethane has evaporated before sealing the lid tight. (try sealing the lid tight, shaking violently, release the pressure built up and repeat until there is no pressure release after the shaking)

Once your jar is filled with hexane, take your trim/bud and toss it in.  Can't tell you how much i used because i didn't weigh it.  But the old rule still applies, the more you put in the more you get out.  Hexane is like butane in the sense that it will leave you with a very pure product.  So, your final yields will be small compared to something like a water extraction or an ISO extraction.  Also note that if you do use the QD cleaner the final product will not be as pure because of the chlorophyll.  It will produce a black oil instead of the light, tan/brown oil.

Now i have to let the jar sit for 8-12 hours.  I put the trim in around 2:30 so 10:30 my time i'll post back with the rest of the pics.  Hopefully i'll have it evaporated tonight so i can get a pic of the oil.

(I changed this up a bit, see the final post in the tek)

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Lets make Hexane Hash!! [Re: coda]
    #65949 - 06/25/08 03:48 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

claiming something will work just as well as BHO is a big claim.

butane converts inactive alkloids into active ones.

--

i'm also unsure as to what the final product tastes like but you can water cure your weed for a week to remove most of the chlorophyll but a lot of the flavor will be lost also.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Lets make Hexane Hash!! [Re: captain.koons]
    #65968 - 06/25/08 04:02 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

claiming something will work just as well as BHO is a big claim.

Butane also extracts THC only, other active alkaloids are left behind which hexane picks up.  It's also not a claim, hexane works just as well if not better then butane.

If you can, please link me to where you read about butane converting inactives into actives.

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #65973 - 06/25/08 04:14 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I believe it was discussed by some chemistry dudes on the topic of making budder.

I think it was on the OG or ICmag site. No idea really.

Prehaps refering to the Merck Index or Erowid would answer this question.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #65978 - 06/25/08 04:18 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

I believe it was discussed by some chemistry dudes on the topic of making budder.

Yah, i know what you're talking about.  It's all talk though, there's no solid proof that it actually converts the alkaloids.  A lot of people don't think budder is anything more then really potent oil that's been whipped.  Never saw the stuff in person, so i can't really comment.

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #65980 - 06/25/08 04:22 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I believe at the time I read this information there was referancing to the Merck Index which is basically a pharmacology encyclopedia. I could be wrong.. no sense arguing :smile:

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #66254 - 06/25/08 11:08 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

ok, the whole process is finished.  Here is the rest of the writeup.

this is the jar after 8 hrs of soaking.  I shook it occasionally, but it sat still for the most part.  It turned the hexane a nice light green/yellow.

I thought this would be a great and simple solution to straining the hexane.  However the filter clogged up because of the trim.  I managed to get 1/2 of the jar out before it wouldn't drip out.

I flipped the jar over, carefully removed the jar ring, then stuck the filter in a small, hand held pasta strainer.  The mesh was big enough to catch any big pieces of trim if some splashed out.  This method worked better, but the last little bit took forever to drain out.  I took the trim out and dumped it on the filter paper and tried to squeeze the last bit out.  Bad idea.  Not much came out, and what little did drip down ended up mostly on my hand.  It's not going to instantly fuck you up like a strong acid will, but it is a skin and eye irritant.  I definitely suggest against squeezing it.  If you want to get more out do another pull with solvent.

this is the finished result of straining.  Nice, pale, yellow.  I knew at this point i wasn't going to get much, but at least what i was getting would be good.

Here's the hash!  I took a pan that was a similar size as the one with the hexane.  Then i filled the pan with steaming hot water and placed the hexane pan on top of it.  Put the pans in front of an open window, plugged in a fan around 5-6 ft away (in case of sparks from the motor) and pointed it to blow across the dish.  30 mins later the hexane had evaporated.  I took the pan into the kitchen and put it on a burner on med-hi until i could smell the distinct smell of vapor floating up.  It probably got a little too hot, but im confident there is no solvent left over in the hash.  Note: Hexane is flammable, it's easier to work with then butane, but you still need to watch out for sparks and such.  Don't smoke around it either, make sure your glass is pyrex before placing it on the stove burner, and don't leave it on the stove for more then a minute or two.

Scraped a match head size amount and put it on top of a bong hits worth of weed.  I am officially baked out of my gourd :laugh:  the quality is definitely equal to butane oil.  I estimate i pulled about .3 - .5  Not surprising considering the amount of trim i used.  I really wasn't expecting much, just wanted to try out this method myself to see how easy it is.  I'll definitely do it in the future, albeit with larger amounts of trim, because it's hassle free and relatively cheap.

*EDIT*

After making Hexane oil a few times I can now safely say that the 8-12 hour sit time is way overkill.  I now just constantly shake and swirl the jar for 20-30 minutes before straining and evaporating.  So you may skip the long waiting period and still pull great yields.  Obviously the more you use the better your yield

Some results from a recent run of oil with a 20 minute shake

--------------------

InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

Loc: KOREA
    #67168 - 06/26/08 11:03 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

So when you make hash (by doing extractions), does it always come out like a resin ball? Wouldnt that be a pain to store/handle compared to pressed kief?

--------------------
:advisory:

“If you want to find out who your real friends are, sink the ship. The first ones to jump aren’t your friends.” — Marilyn Manson

This isn't the correct place to confront me on anything.

Forum full of dead stars, and a necro I called Coma White

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Lets make Hexane Hash!! [Re: Laysthepipe]
    #67214 - 06/26/08 11:44 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

yes, oil is a pain to handle compared to dry kief.  However, it's much more potent.  There are several thing to do to make handling the oil easy.  Freezing it is one way, using a method like hanky does in his acetone thread is another.

--------------------

InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

#67232 - 06/27/08 12:12 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
yes, oil is a pain to handle compared to dry kief.  However, it's much more potent.  There are several thing to do to make handling the oil easy.  Freezing it is one way, using a method like hanky does in his acetone thread is another.

Yea hankys way looked pretty good.

--------------------

“If you want to find out who your real friends are, sink the ship. The first ones to jump aren’t your friends.” — Marilyn Manson

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #67233 - 06/27/08 12:15 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

25% yield via hanky's tek is mean too.

I wonder how butane, iso, hexane, ether, acetone compare in yield.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

#67235 - 06/27/08 12:17 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

captain.koons said:

Probably not too bad. We were talking about the way he makes the hash easier to handle.

Wasnt the hexane reusable?

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #67236 - 06/27/08 12:20 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

oh yeye working it in with kief.

I'm kinda barred out right now.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #67422 - 06/27/08 11:38 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

actually that's pretty good if i'm reading what you wrote correctly.  If you put an oz in and get a 1/4 out that's pretty fucking sweet IMO.

Quote:

Wasnt the hexane reusable?

yes, the hexane CAN be reused.  However you have to build a basic distilling apparatus, so there's some work behind it.

Quote:

BHO, hexane, and acetone probably yield roughly the same.  The acetone may give you more compared to the others, and the BHO would probably yield a bit less.  But the amounts are probably so close to each other it's insignificant.  ISO will yield more because it's a less pure product.

--------------------

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

#67499 - 06/27/08 01:07 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

captain.koons said:

Quote:

captain.koons said: a big claim

please explain to me how an inert hydrocarbon can possibly react in any way with an "inactive" alkaloid.

coda, cool process, thanks for the photos!  but do u mind telling me WTF you had in that jar that requires the sticker seen in the second pic. :eek:

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Lets make Hexane Hash!! [Re: Yrat]
    #67570 - 06/27/08 02:51 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

LOL!  I was hoping someone would notice that :laugh:

My girlfriend used to work for a pharmacy, she took a lot of those little prescription stickers you see on bottles about side effects.  That just happens to be my favorite one :laugh:  Hey, maybe in the end it'll keep peoples grubby hands outta my stash :wink:

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #67621 - 06/27/08 07:08 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I noticed it I just thought I wouldn't ask :P

I'm going to call my pharmacy tech friend.. I want some now!

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Invisiblestill beLIEve
State Property..Again
Male

Loc: a world thats not my own
    #71284 - 07/03/08 11:55 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

badass tek, so simple

ive never done an extraction but i feel pretty confident i could do this one

--------------------
niteowl said:
See, that term pedo gets thrown around a lot.
Is a 16 year old guy having sex w/a 16 year old girl a pedophile?
If not, then how is a 30 year old considered a pedophile for doing the same thing?
I think y'all need to look up the definition for pedophile.

OfflineEleutherios

Re: Lets make Hexane Hash!! **COMPLETED** [Re: coda]
    #78648 - 07/10/08 08:31 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

So after playing with coffee filters, you see why on the seventh day when, according to popular myth, God supposed to be resting, It really created the vacuum filter.

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Lets make Hexane Hash!! **COMPLETED** [Re: Eleutherios]
    #78704 - 07/10/08 08:50 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

look, if you really want to make an elaborate setup to extract the hash, that's up to you.  This was all about simplicity.  Most people don't have, or want to, the tools to create a vacuum filtration setup. 

The coffee filters work fine, it just takes some patience.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals