Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: CFL grow [Re: Siekostoner]
    #95819 - 07/28/08 10:32 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

It might help it "finish up maturing, but I'd have to imagine all this means is less yield and less potency. Anything less than 12/12 and you're really only taking away light the plant still needs for photosynthesis.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSiekostoner
Male

Re: CFL grow [Re: Sirius]
    #96090 - 07/29/08 01:43 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Damn, well I'll just keep it in 12/12 then............. :thumbup:

Offlinepsychedelik

#96238 - 07/29/08 09:54 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Siekostoner said:
I know man.... I wasn't expecting anything like this..... it's amazing what a little love and mercury vapor can do for a plant.............

Great job man...I haven't been to your place in a bit, it's lookin amazing.
Can't wait to smoke that shit haha.
Mids can be good with a little care:)

--------------------
Life is a dream,
and we are the imagination of ourselves.

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
    #96554 - 07/29/08 03:43 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Siekostoner said:
I know man.... I wasn't expecting anything like this..... it's amazing what a little love and mercury vapor can do for a plant.............

I thought this was a CFL Grow???  Did you end up buying a Mercury Vapor HID? Those have a terrible light spectrum for Cannabis.  Metal Halide is even a much better choice to flower with than MV but HPS is the best.  Fill me in please if you've changed your light source.

~Inverted :devil:

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

OfflineSiekostoner
Male

Re: CFL grow [Re: Inverted]
    #96579 - 07/29/08 04:00 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Inverted said:
Quote:

Siekostoner said:

I thought this was a CFL Grow???  Did you end up buying a Mercury Vapor HID? Those have a terrible light spectrum for Cannabis.  Metal Halide is even a much better choice to flower with than MV but HPS is the best.  Fill me in please if you've changed your light source.

~Inverted :devil:

Wait, I said that under the assumption that CFL's were like regular fluorescents in the fact that they "use electricity to excite mercury vapor." :what:

OfflineSiekostoner
Male

#97483 - 07/30/08 07:47 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Okay, I have a couple questions.....

1. There are a couple red hairs on my plant, the rest of them a white........ I read that it's ready to be harvested when half the hairs turn red..... the only thing is, it looks like the hairs that already turned red are just dying, and that the hairs that are white are just staying white. I have no clue what I should do.

2. Supposedly you're supposed to dry in a dark cool place, because THC breaks down under light..... does this mean sunlight? Would the light from CFL's hurt it?

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #97549 - 07/30/08 09:03 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Deciding when to harvest by the color of the pistils isn't a good method to do it by. The best, most common way is to look at the trichomes. Usually you would harvest when most of them have turned cloudy and some amber, although it is really a matter of preference as how much you allow to become cloudy or amber will determine to some extent how the high will be.

I'm sure THC degrades while the buds are still forming as well, but the difference is the plant is still growing and probably quickly replaces any that is lost so that it doesn't make a difference. Once the plant is harvested, of course, it isn't capable of producing more, and you're just losing it from light degradation. :wink:

--------------------

OfflineSiekostoner
Male

#97556 - 07/30/08 09:09 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Sirius said:
Deciding when to harvest by the color of the pistils isn't a good method to do it by. The best, most common way is to look at the trichomes. Usually you would harvest when most of them have turned cloudy and some amber, although it is really a matter of preference as how much you allow to become cloudy or amber will determine to some extent how the high will be.

I'm sure THC degrades while the buds are still forming as well, but the difference is the plant is still growing and probably quickly replaces any that is lost so that it doesn't make a difference. Once the plant is harvested, of course, it isn't capable of producing more, and you're just losing it from light degradation. :wink:

Ahh, thank you..... I see.....

I don't have a very good means of looking closely at the plant, but from this little magnifying glass, I can see that all of the trichomes look cloudy, none are amber........ is the difference between clear and cloudy easily spotted?

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #97609 - 07/30/08 10:16 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------

OfflineSiekostoner
Male

#99287 - 07/31/08 06:28 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Hmm.... the buds are starting to develop more trichomes, but what's bothering me is that one of the buds, the shortest (farthest from the light), looks like it has more trichomes on the small surrounding leaves than any of the other buds...... why?

This bud seems to be way more sparkly.....

Edited by Siekostoner (07/31/08 06:28 PM)

OfflineCaptTrip
Captain
Male User Gallery

#99598 - 07/31/08 10:01 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

That looks awesome.

About how tall is your plant?

--------------------

OfflineBlargIAmDead

Re: CFL grow [Re: CaptTrip]
    #99894 - 08/01/08 09:24 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

You have inspired me to start my grow cabinet. CFL cheapness for the win. And you are correct in assuming that CFL's have mercury vapor in them. So don't break them cause not only will you then have mercury vapor in your room to get it professionally cleaned and shit costs like 2 grand. >.<

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder