Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineDocnRaq
Stranger
 User Gallery
In the desert
    #847486 - 03/02/21 11:47 AM (3 years, 26 days ago)

I have a question about watering and soil.  I am using FFOF cut with about 30% perlite in 5 gallon pot. I have 4 in a 2.3x2.3 tent from mars-hydro with the 1000w led (it’s a kit or whatever from their website) any how. My question is. When is the first time you water your pot till it runs out the bottom?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
Re: In the desert [Re: DocnRaq]
    #847487 - 03/02/21 01:19 PM (3 years, 26 days ago)

Ideally you should do that each time you water, and track the pH and ec of the runoff. If you aren't testing runoff and growing from seed, you might be able to get away with watering with no runoff until the plants are maybe 1 foot tall, but if you are planning on using nutes in your water, it's probably best to water to runoff each time you water.

Remember that if water is not running from the bottom, then all of the dissolved minerals and notes from each watering are building up in the soil. As the nutes are absorbed by the roots, there is almost always an exchange of hydrogen ions from the roots into the soil. There can be some buffering of these ions by the soil components, but generally speaking the soil surrounding the roots will acidify over time as a result of nutrient absorption.

If you water regularly, but not enough to run out of the bottom of the container, you may move the built up nutes and acids around, and may temporarily move it into a section of the soil where it is not exposed to the roots, but generally speaking, it's best (especially when applying nutes) to water until you get something running out of the bottom, like 10% of the volume of the soil (so half of a gallon of runoff for 5 gallons of soil).

I like to think of it like a freshwater aquarium. You need to do regular testing of the tank water to anticipate any problems developing, you need to do regular water changes (like 10% to 25% per week) to keep metabolites and waste products from building up to deadly levels and keep algae to a minimum, and you need to prep the replacement water so that it has roughly the right chemical characteristics of the ideal tank water.

Hope this helps.

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

OfflineDocnRaq
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: In the desert [Re: Data]
    #847489 - 03/02/21 02:50 PM (3 years, 26 days ago)

Thank you for your very thorough answer. Been looking for just those words. I have a PH meter but not an ec meter. I will get one next week, recomend a model? My PH meter is new and I do not think I calibrated it correctly so I will give another go at that, I was under the impression distilled water was good for PH and dissolved solids but I can tell by your comment it is not. I will begin watering through the pot from now on, I got the FF soil so I could use only water during the beginning, planned to use the FF trio and cal mag at 1/2 strength around week 4 OR 5 then full and by chart till harvest. TBH I wasn't expecting to battle with the dryness as much as I have, I would have ordered a humidifier right away. Thank you again for responding. I will have more questions I am sure, cool if I come back to you with them? I'm also gonna pour over some of your posts, recomend any good threads? Also, I have PH up and down came with a ph tester used that on my water and it came in between 5 and 6 on the color chart so assuming the PH has been good on the water I been using. Here is some pics of my girls that are current from this afternoon, everything look OK at a glance?

OfflineEraisia
Stranger
Loc: Indiana Simonton Lake
Re: In the desert [Re: DocnRaq]
    #847715 - 03/30/21 08:26 AM (2 years, 11 months ago)

I just needed it. Thanks a lot.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder