Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineAtlas
Stranger
To much light
    #847437 - 02/22/21 07:57 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Are these plants being bleached? I didnt get to really check up on them bc of a few problems related to weather and this is what I came home to. They are autos. The one without yellow wasnt getting as much light which makes me think its bleaching.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: To much light [Re: Atlas]
    #847439 - 02/23/21 04:58 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Thats definitely not too much light. 

Whats your pH, Substrate?
How often are you watering?
Are you adding nutrients?

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineAtlas
Stranger
Re: To much light [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #847442 - 02/23/21 11:36 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Not sure on ph. Im watering a couple times a week roughly. When its feeling mostly dry using my pinkie.

I havnt fed any nutes in a few weeks bc i read that autos dont need much and i didnt want there to be to much nitogen or anything.

Also they are in soil. What throws me off is that the one plant looks pretty compared to the others and they all have had same treatment

OfflineRider420
Stranger

Re: To much light [Re: Atlas]
    #847453 - 02/25/21 11:33 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

FYI You can never have enough light its heat that causes issues.

"Apparent brightness is thus measured in watts per square meter. For instance, the apparent brightness of the Sun is b = 1370 watts/meter2. That is, if you had a perfectly efficient solar panel one meter on a side, if you held it perpendicular to the Sun's rays, it would generate 1370 watts of electricity."
One square meter equals 10 square feet so the sun is 137 watts per square foot at least three times what I and others run with HID or LED lights.

BTW its looks like a lock out of nutrients try flushing your plants.

Edited by Rider420 (02/25/21 11:44 AM)

OfflineAtlas
Stranger
Re: To much light [Re: Rider420]
    #847454 - 02/25/21 11:59 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Actually it was the light. It was only the growth that got the most light. Moved lights up further and dimmed them and plants are doing better. Wasnt a nutrient problem. It was light intensity. All new growth is doing fine with no other changes.

Brings me to my next problem though. I was going by manufacturer specs for distance and knob adjustment. So now i really need to do a run just to figure out these lights.

BTW to much light is a thing. There are many instances of it nature. Also if you so the research there are many reported cases that were to much light. To each their own though. They are doing better and thats what is important.

Edit: not trying to be argumenative with either of you. Just sharing the symptoms and what fixed it.

Edited by Atlas (02/25/21 12:02 PM)

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
    #847455 - 02/25/21 12:40 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Rider420 said:
FYI You can never have enough light its heat that causes issues.

"Apparent brightness is thus measured in watts per square meter. For instance, the apparent brightness of the Sun is b = 1370 watts/meter2. That is, if you had a perfectly efficient solar panel one meter on a side, if you held it perpendicular to the Sun's rays, it would generate 1370 watts of electricity."
One square meter equals 10 square feet so the sun is 137 watts per square foot at least three times what I and others run with HID or LED lights.

BTW its looks like a lock out of nutrients try flushing your plants.

This isn't quite true.

Photobleaching is a real thing, and is caused by the excess generation of reactive oxygen species in plant tissues.

Link to related publication.

Remember that comparing artificial lighting to solar flux in they way you've done assumes that the emission spectrum of the artificial light is the same as the spectrum of the sun, which not a very good assumption and accuracy of that assumption varies widely between different source types and brands, and example is shown below.

That ~1300W/m2 is actually the total flux at earth's average distance from the sun, outside of the atmosphere. This number drops to ~1000W/m2 within the atmosphere, and can vary by +/- several hundred W/m2 depending on time of year, elevation, latitude, etc. Additionally, the drop in unit power does not mean that the flux drops evenly across the spectrum, rather the atmosphere preferentially reflects/absorbs IR and UV wavelengths. This is further compounded by the selective absorption of light energy by plant photosites, so different incoming artificial spectra will have different % of the incoming total W/m2 converted into heat. This ultimately means that different light sources will result in different thermal dynamics on the plant surface, even if each light is using the same wattage. :nyan:

While heat is usually the limiting factor in HID-type lighting, photobleaching can become the ultimate limiting factor in extreme, high-PAR setups, such as high flux LED grow lights placed too close to the plants. I've experienced this personally before, where the room temp is in the 70s F, the measured surface temp of foliage in the most intense light is less than 80f, and the top buds are bleached all to hell. This can also happen in HID lighting if a higher quality grow bulb is contained within a ventilated and shielded reflector assembly, thus removing a significant amount of heat transfer to the plant.

It's not just about a general watts per area over the whole grow area, its about how that light is locally dispersed through the grow area as well, and the spectral composition of the light. Photon flux can have high local variability, and while its normally not an issue, pushing certain growing setups to maximize average flux can result in photobleaching if extra attention is not given to local high flux regions.

Honestly, nobody should be pushing their lighting situation this high unless they are also planning to supplement CO2 in the grow airspace, and are willing to optimize their nutrient delivery system to take maximum advantage of the rest of the grow system. Its pushing the plants into a weird non-linear state, the benefits of which isn't really worth the extra money and effort. :shrug:

Hope this helps. :pipesmoke:

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

OfflineRider420
Stranger

Re: To much light [Re: Data]
    #847456 - 02/25/21 01:28 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Only happens with led light eh. Wow glad i did not buy those. :grin:

My two pounds per grow is already too much of a good thing. :stoned:

I wonder why people are never happy then I realize the answer.

So soak up the sun. :smirk:

Its not having what you want its wanting what you have.

I love rock like pink Floyds line "ever wonder why the rocks feel hot"?

Edited by Rider420 (02/25/21 03:36 PM)

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

#847457 - 02/25/21 03:49 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Rider420 said:
Only happens with led light eh. Wow glad i did not buy those. :grin:

My two pounds per grow is already too much of a good thing. :stoned:

I wonder why people are never happy then I realize the answer.

So soak up the sun. :smirk:

Its not having what you want its wanting what you have.

I love rock like pink Floyds line "ever wonder why the rocks feel hot"?

All this talk makes me miss my old grow room. :gethigh:

Yea if you're not doing a commercial grow and your building is well cooled and/or ventilated, then a good digital ballast and a mid-range MHS/HPS bulb combo is all you need. Target a safe W/m2, and just take care of the plants. I've not had too many problems growing for personal consumption using this method, and its easy. :bigweed:

--------------------

OfflineRider420
Stranger

Re: To much light [Re: Data]
    #847458 - 02/25/21 04:05 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Data said:
Yea if you're not doing a commercial grow and your building is well cooled and/or ventilated, then a good digital ballast and a mid-range MHS/HPS bulb combo is all you need. Target a safe W/m2, and just take care of the plants. I've not had too many problems growing for personal consumption using this method, and its easy. :bigweed:

Pure sun farms here in BC are producing cannabis at 23 cents per gram. They  used to produce tomatoes in thier green houses now its cannabis. And yes they use HPS lighting. Old school but very profitable compared with thier competition.

Then there is the farm down the street from me that used no lights no I'm not joking.

https://okanaganz.com/oz/news/speakeasy-harvests-biggest-outdoor-crop/

One of the biggest outdoor cannabis harvests in Canadian history—if not the world—is taking place near the Okanagan.

SpeakEasy Cannabis in Rock Creek is in the midst of harvesting 60 acres of plants, tall, stinky, and individually potted.

“I am absolutely thrilled to have started the harvest of our outdoor grow,” says founder Marc Geen. “It’s been a long road and I’m happy to report the quality of the bud has exceeded all my expectations.”

The Geen family has been actively farming in the Okanagan for five generations, and is also known for its significant involvement in the iconic Okanagan brand, Sun-Rype.

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

#847459 - 02/25/21 04:24 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Rider420 said:
Quote:

Data said:

Pure sun farms here in BC are producing cannabis at 23 cents per gram. They  used to produce tomatoes in thier green houses now its cannabis. And yes they use HPS lighting. Old school but very profitable compared with thier competition.

Then there is the farm down the street from me that used no lights no I'm not joking.

https://okanaganz.com/oz/news/speakeasy-harvests-biggest-outdoor-crop/

One of the biggest outdoor cannabis harvests in Canadian history—if not the world—is taking place near the Okanagan.

SpeakEasy Cannabis in Rock Creek is in the midst of harvesting 60 acres of plants, tall, stinky, and individually potted.

“I am absolutely thrilled to have started the harvest of our outdoor grow,” says founder Marc Geen. “It’s been a long road and I’m happy to report the quality of the bud has exceeded all my expectations.”

The Geen family has been actively farming in the Okanagan for five generations, and is also known for its significant involvement in the iconic Okanagan brand, Sun-Rype.

The ultimate light source  :sunny:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder