Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinejerry-b
Stranger
Has anyone experience in distillation Rick Simpson Oil?
    #842461 - 01/20/20 05:52 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Hi there! Can somebody share the first-hand experience in distilling Rick Simpson Oil at home?

Come across such a post about Rick Simpson Oil, but it gives only basic information.

How long should I let it sit? 30 minutes or longer?
Is it necessary to do soaks in the freezer to get a cleaner product?

Appreciate getting any information and experience. Thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
Re: Has anyone experience in distillation Rick Simpson Oil? [Re: jerry-b]
    #842478 - 01/20/20 12:30 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Rick Simpson Oil sounds like a fancy term for quick-wash ISO hash.

Isopropyl Alcohol (ISO) and ethanol can extract both polar and non-polar compounds. THC is primarily non-polar, as is most of the cannabinoids and terpenes that are desirable for extraction.

However, chlorophyll, sugars, salts, etc. are polar, and given enough time will also dissolve into the ISO and ethanol. There are also fats/waxes that are non-polar and can be pulled out when using ISO or ethanol as the solvent.

Because the majority of the cannabinoids are concentrated in trichome structures (which have relatively high surface area to volume ratios, and very little plant material standing between the resins and the outside world), and because these two solvents tend to be more non-polar than polar, the trichome cannabinoids dissolve at the highest rates. This is why a quick (30 seconds to 3 minutes) ISO or ethanol wash will produce a higher quality product than a several hour ISO or ethanol wash. Stirring/gently agitating the mixture is going to help break up the trichomes without breaking up the rest of the plant material, and release a little extra resin into the solvent.

It should be noted that these techniques are dependent on the starting material. You want to start with buds, not leaves and stems. The higher quality product you start with, the higher the final quality can be. It should also be noted that these techniques focus more on quality of the final product rather than overall quantity of final product. Older methods using long solvent soaks get all of the THC out of the plant material, but also draw out everything else you don't want, and require a lot of post-processing to get something you would actually want to consume.

My suggestion would be to use our forum search function at the top of the page to search for "quick ISO wash" techniques. You may also want to look into winterization or cold ISO wash stuff as well.

Also remember that ISO is really bad for you, even in vapor form, and high-proof ethanol is extremely flammable and can really fuck you up if it is evaporated in large quantities in a poorly-ventilated area. Make sure you do some research on proper safety practices when working with solvents.

Best of luck :pipesmoke:

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

Offline8787sunshine
classic stoner

Re: Has anyone experience in distillation Rick Simpson Oil? [Re: Data]
    #845989 - 07/13/20 12:11 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

I posted how to make oil using drinking alcohol.  Get a cold finger which is an all glass distiller designed for oil.  Buy the book Cannabis Alchemy by D. Gold.  I made my own distiller for about 75$.  Me and my homie made oil in a dorm kitchen at the college.  We had parties with pizza and smoke and invited friends to trip!

--------------------
Bombing swords exit the murder charge left it exposed supposed words sex trip further on you took off your clothes

Offlineyoosername
Strange

Loc: Somewhere under the Sun
Re: Has anyone experience in distillation Rick Simpson Oil? [Re: 8787sunshine]
    #845993 - 07/13/20 12:03 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Decarboxylate the buds first, broken up, in the oven, uncovered.  240º F for 40 minutes will suffice.  Let it cool, then freeze the buds.

Add ethanol from the freezer to the buds (I use 190 proof everclear I have to get from Wisconsin), do the wash, and strain through a coffee filter.

Final step is to evaporate the ethanol, preferably reclaiming it.  If you have $600, a Source Turbo could be very useful for this.

Once it's done it can be mixed with a small amount of coconut oil and lecithin, and be capsulized, added to food, or taken by the drop.

Offline8787sunshine
classic stoner

Re: Has anyone experience in distillation Rick Simpson Oil? [Re: yoosername]
    #845994 - 07/13/20 12:30 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Make sure you get all the water out of your product so it doesn't mold.  We used to cook our oil in a frying pan for a bit and it caused a thermonuclear smell explosion in the hood.  I like to turn the oil into a solid with some finely powdered cellulose from ground stems or buds.  It melts and bubbles and smells INCREDIBLE when you smoke it.  I recommend using the cook method with the cold finger.  It's cheaper than $600 and it is an awesome science project. 
Also, old schoolers call ISO hash the shit refluxed with sulfuric acid and then neutralized with baking soda to transmute the CBD into THC.  D. Gold writes about it in Cannabis Alchemy. 
You used to be able to buy machines that did the process for you.  I suppose they made them illegal.  They were planning to make a machine that used petroleum ether.  Stick with drinking alcohol unless you are a chemist or just nuts for explosions!

--------------------
Bombing swords exit the murder charge left it exposed supposed words sex trip further on you took off your clothes

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules