Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejellyfish

Back after 11 year hiatus
    #836214 - 02/04/19 09:50 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

So, it's time. No more posting in 3rd person. Talking about "friends" grows. Not posting pics. Although I did post mushroom pics on shroomery so kind of weird I was so paranoid about pot but guess they are a lot easier to hide. So now I'm back. Got granddaddy purple and feminized auto afghani kush. 4 plants is legal limit in Canada now, and my apartment is kind of not really too suited for me to have a spot where I can have a 12/12 cycle going and totally deprive the plants of light during that time.

I have an LED light I'm currently using whose output I am unsure of cause I got it at costco but it doesn't seem weak. Is sorta burning some of my other plants. Like my salvia (again, not the most legal but like, it doesn't look suspect at all.)

I planted 4 of the GDP seeds. I hate the idea of feminized and auto flower but I got those seeds in case I can't make a proper 12/12 situation work at my place. I also got this today. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B074MBP32M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

reviews are mixed and it says something about UV function which kind of scares me cause I planned on not having it in a closet or anything and don't want to go blind. I've still got 20/20 vision.

So this is my current little grow space. Only just started with the cannabis a couple weeks ago and already had some salvia, oleander, a san pedro and kinda failing kratom. Got a computer fan to help strengten stems.

Cause of the crappy purple glow of the LEDs I didn't notice that some leaves are already turning yellow. Too close to the light? Or nutrient deficiency. I don't have any worm castings on hand or anything but I can get some. At least the spacing between nodes is pretty nice.

I haven't grown since high school basically. Stopped first year university. So I'm rusty. Any advice appreciated. And I'll try and keep this updated.

I have space underneath my stairs. Not light proof. And not sure how hot that LED I linked too from amazon I haven't tried yet will get. But I could maybe use that space for flowering. I don't think landlords are allowed to stop you from growing 4 plants here in Ontario.

Peace brothers.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejellyfish

Re: Back after 11 year hiatus [Re: jellyfish]
    #836234 - 02/07/19 09:43 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

So I tried setting up my 1000W equivalent LED and it was blinding even though I was facing away from it. I figured because they barely give off heat that it would be okay in a small space, now I'm thinking of their somehow making my greenhouse opaque (like painting it black), or returning them for a 600 W equivalent. What's the smallest space it would be okay to use a 1000W equivalent assuming heat isn't an issue. It has fans built in, didn't get hot at all.

Offlineyoosername
Strange

Loc: Somewhere under the Sun
    #836256 - 02/08/19 03:47 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

First of all, forget about the "equivalent" rating.  Actual draw is 130 watts.  You may actually want more, how big is your space?  Also, LEDs still produce quite a bit of heat.  You'll still need to ventilate your grow area.

You should buy a tent, or build one to fit your space.  Black and white poly works well with some gorilla tape for light-proofing.

If you end up upgrading your lights, I recommend you check out quantum boards.  Cost to DIY is around $1 per watt, and the light they produce will blow blurples away.

Concerning eye damage, just wear a pair of polarized sunglasses or #5 shades when working in the grow area.

OfflineRider420
Stranger

Re: Back after 11 year hiatus [Re: yoosername]
    #836260 - 02/09/19 10:26 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Hey fellow Canuck nice set up. Those plants are too young for normal yellowing even with low light levels, i would suspect an issue with either PH or over fertilization.

If all your plants are auto flowering you don't need to worry about having 12 hours of darkness to make them flower.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autoflowering_cannabis

In fact 18 to 20 hours of light should be given to auto flowering plants from start to end. This means larger yields in a shorter period of time.

Quote:

Auto Flowering Seeds
Auto-Flowering Seeds
When compared to the classic indica and sativa cannabis, which require a decrease of sunlight hours per day to bloom, the auto-flowering seeds begin to bloom automatically. Auto-flowering seeds with the heritage of Cannabis ruderalis just begin to bloom when they attain a particular age.

Most auto-flowering marijuana seeds begin to bloom around the third week. Though such seeds have been available in the market for quite a long time now, their popularity has increased only in the recent few years.

OfflineRider420
Stranger

Re: Back after 11 year hiatus [Re: yoosername]
    #836261 - 02/09/19 10:28 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

yoosername said:
First of all, forget about the "equivalent" rating.  Actual draw is 130 watts. 

kudos :winner:

Offlinejellyfish

Re: Back after 11 year hiatus [Re: Rider420]
    #836299 - 02/12/19 09:38 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

None of them are autoflowering at the moment. These are ones I'm growing out so that my friend can have healthy females ready for as soon as last frost is over. Then I'm going to grow for my own bud. The grow tent might have to happen cause I'd rather not grow autoflowers I'd rather have clones of my favourite female. But no need to worry for now, for now I need to weed out the males while working with this 4 plant legal limit.

I feel like the yellowing and losing leaves issue is either pH or the soil. I wanted to use seed starting soil I usually use for cacti seedlings and pasteurize first but options in this town are limited and I don't have a car. So I have this miracle grow with the stupid time release nutes. And I feel at this age the plants can't deal with it. I am getting pH strips later today, and a liquid test kit plus pH up and down on Monday. So we'll see if it's that. I always adjust the pH when I water my cactus garden but I never had to with cannabis in the past.

Hopefully not more than 2 males. Pretty sad about whatever the issue is. Also the light destroys my retinas. Tried the new LED. Gonna switch back to the weaker one and use the new one when I can afford a grow tent. Going to try my hand at scrog once I have a healthy female I can clone.

These are grand daddy purple non-feminized.

OfflineRider420
Stranger

#836302 - 02/12/19 03:26 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

The plants look nice and healthy and are growing out of the nute burn nicely. Your idea of a grow tent is the best solution short of building a grow room in a garage.

IF you are lucky enough to live in Newfoundland you can buy clones right now saving you the trouble of sexing and cloning plants from seed and testing each one to find the best of the lot. Like seeds clones will soon be available in the rest of Canada.

The four plant limit SUCKS for looking for a good clone mother. You need to take the clone before you flower otherwise it will flower even at 18/06. That means only two plants can be tested at a time. And IMHO the odds of you finding a plant that's better then the clones you will be able to buy are slim to none. Hence why i'am sticking with feminized seeds until I can buy clones.

Nursery licences allow breeders to test a thousand plants and pick the best examples to clone and sell. But a nursery licence does not let you sell a gram of bud only clones or seeds. Nursery licence does allow for a few kilograms of bud for "testing" purposes. So you will soon be seeing a lot of legal competition in the clone and seed world. Until that happens I have switched to feminized seeds to stay within the limit. But by this summer most Canadians will have the much better option of buying clones rather then seeds.:blazed:

Offlinejellyfish

#836303 - 02/12/19 03:39 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

I used to take cuttings as soon as I saw preflowers. They never turned out badly. On 18/6. If that is a bad thing, then, well. I dunno. I'll find a way.

edit: I understand you now. But the ones with male preflowers will be tossed as soon as I see them and I am not in a giant rush. Just told my friend I'd have a female for him by end of May so he can be ahead of the game instead of planting seeds then.

Quote:

Rider420 said:
The plants look nice and healthy and are growing out of the nute burn nicely. Your idea of a grow tent is the best solution short of building a grow room in a garage.

Thanks so much for the advice. Any further plants I will start in seedling mix without this time release fert miracle grow bullshit.

I still have 3 grand daddy purp seeds
3 grand daddy purp xx white widow feminized
and 5 afghan kush fem autoflower.

I'd love to just plant more but if my landlord lets himself in and sees...

So cuttings at first sign of preflowers and putting them on 24 h a bad idea?

edit: also don't like idea of feminized because of hermies

Edited by jellyfish (02/12/19 04:08 PM)

OfflineRider420
Stranger

#836304 - 02/12/19 07:01 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

jellyfish said:

So cuttings at first sign of preflowers and putting them on 24 h a bad idea?

edit: also don't like idea of feminized because of hermies

Taking cuttings while on 18/6 is correct you want to do it before you change the light cycle to 12/12. I should point out not all cannabis plants pre-flower.

Hermies are extremely rare in feminized seeds done by legit companies like TH seeds or Sensi seeds as well as the legal seeds. So far all the legal seeds in Canada are feminized.

Quote:

BAKERSTREET SEEDS
Tweed by Canopy Growth Corporation
THC 15-25% CBD 0-0.07% (estimated potency)
$55.99

The Bakerstreet cultivar is an indica-dominant, high-THC strain (Hindu Kush). Its dense and deep green flowers are highlighted with ochre-hued pistils and covered with trichomes. Terpinolene is the terpene that gives this strain its scent of juniper. This pack contains four feminized seeds.

Seed germination rates and successful cannabis plant cultivation depend on a variety of factors beyond BC Cannabis Stores’ control. BC Cannabis Stores does not guarantee germination rates of seeds sold through our website or brick-and-mortar stores. BC Cannabis Stores sell feminized cannabis seeds which are intended to produce female plants which in turn produce cannabis flowers or bud.  While licensed producers have worked to ensure that seeds made available for purchase are feminized, BC Cannabis Stores does not guarantee successful cultivation or feminization rates of seeds purchased through BC Cannabis Stores.

Offlinejellyfish

#836305 - 02/12/19 07:16 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Oh snap I didn't know the ontario cannabis store started selling seeds. Why all feminized? Not trusted to breed ourselves? Or just because of plant limit? (which makes no sense because they could have just said 4 females).

Either way. Going to work with what I have now. I like the idea of eventually breeding my own strains. If they don't preflower then I dunno how I'll sex them. That's an issue I'll have to deal with when I get there.

Offlinejellyfish

#836328 - 02/13/19 10:44 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Been taking pics daily so might as well post them. I've been rotating the pots clockwise every night for even light exposure and distance from fan.

OfflineRider420
Stranger

#836330 - 02/14/19 11:46 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

jellyfish said:
Oh snap I didn't know the ontario cannabis store started selling seeds. Why all feminized? Not trusted to breed ourselves? Or just because of plant limit? (which makes no sense because they could have just said 4 females).

Either way. Going to work with what I have now. I like the idea of eventually breeding my own strains. If they don't preflower then I dunno how I'll sex them. That's an issue I'll have to deal with when I get there.

Please note unless you "say" your seeds are from a legal source you can be charged with illicit cannabis production even if you only have one plant. Legal sources are seeds bought from a legal shop or given to you by another grower who got their seeds legally.

Please note while four plants is 100% legal if you have two more for a total of six plants its only a 200 dollar fine. Anything above six plants is a criminal offence.

So you can clone two plants for a total of six. Then test those two plants by flowering them to see their sexes. All this without putting the clone mothers in flower. Once those are sexed do the next two and the worse that could happen is a $200 fine.

:goodluck:

BTW those platns are looking really good dude! :winner:

Offlinejellyfish

#836340 - 02/14/19 05:21 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

I didn't buy them from a seed bank in Ontario. I bought them legally. I don't know why I want to sex them.

Lol. Actually I'm already breaking the 4 plant rule because I don't have the heart to throw out this retarded one (it's over a month older than the other 4).

Just seems cruel

It's a mutant like the x-men except it's super power is getting me a $200 fine with no benefit at all.

I'm still sad that they seem nutrient deficient. I forgot once again to grab pH strips today. Oh well. I'll have a testing kit Monday. And I am never using store bought soil again. I mix my own soil up for my cacti and it works great. No time release nutrient beads. No nutrient burn.

daily pic

edit: I have no place I can deprive of light so can't flower anything. Going to need to get a grow tent but I am not sure if I will be living here much longer so I'm waiting to find out. Sucks. Might just risk that $200 fine if they don't show preflowers and grow an autoflower in the meantime. maybe 2 autoflowers because that mutant plant doesn't even look like cannabis. Kind of why I kept it. Super stealth strain.

edit edit: I've never fimmed/pinched before but thinking of doing it soon because I don't want these getting too tall. I'd like to use the other shelves of my greenhouse to grow some other stuff for fun.

Edited by jellyfish (02/14/19 05:26 PM)

OfflineRider420
Stranger

#836346 - 02/15/19 07:32 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

I would not worry about that freak on nature like you said its does not look anything like a cannabis plant. But I have had freaks like that that in time grew into normal looking plants.

All ways have a believable story like Ricky on the trailer park boys. "Officer I read on the Ontario or BC web site that even feminized seeds can be male so I had to check." :wink: If you check the web sites or my above post you will see that they do have a disclaimer to that end.

Quote:

While licensed producers have worked to ensure that seeds made available for purchase are feminized, BC Cannabis Stores does not guarantee successful cultivation or feminization rates of seeds purchased through BC Cannabis Stores.

I all ways top my plants at least once. :goodluck:

Edited by Rider420 (02/15/19 07:43 AM)

Offlinejellyfish

#836347 - 02/15/19 07:47 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

trailer park boys was the inspiration for this grow.

gotta get my life back on track

I decided to buy a grow tent. Don't have the money just yet. But it'll be awesome.

OfflineRider420
Stranger

#836359 - 02/16/19 09:29 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Offlinejellyfish

#836372 - 02/19/19 02:46 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Nice. That's awesome. Thanks.

edit: While I can afford that grow tent, I would need fans as well right? And ducting? My LED gives off like no heat, and I don't care much about the smell as it's legal but just so the plants can get fresh air I feel I'd need them. So overall, still probably need to save up a bit more money.

I decided to try fimming today. Don't know if I messed it up or not. Haven't done it before. I would have topped and took cuttings of the tops so I could flower them to determine plant gender but no grow tent as of yet.

Edited by jellyfish (02/19/19 09:03 PM)

Offlinejellyfish

#836532 - 03/01/19 05:08 PM (5 years, 28 days ago)

Alright so I held off on buying a grow tent because it's not really a priority and due to some issues beyond my control I have my landlord bringing strangers into my place on a weekly basis. I realize it's legal but as long as the gov decides to sell it for such a high price, crops will be worth a break & enter, at least in the minds of idiots. Also I don't even use cannabis anymore. I just missed the hobby. If I acted on every single urge I have to get stoned, an ounce would last me years. So it's more just for fun and to stick something outside in the first summer of legalization.

I am still seeing some signs of illness. Honestly I might just ditch this entire crop, throw out all the soil, never used untreated miracle grow again and restart from cuttings of these plants. I think it's root aphids and I do not have the time to deal with it.

In terms of topping, I tried fimming based on some guides I saw online. Didn't really do much. I see all these pics of people cutting so that there's still some stuff left. One site referred to it as a hair cut. The best result I had was the equivalent of a buzz cut.

Bam. 4 new branches for the price of one.

edit:

The start of male preflowers? Who knows. Stay tuned, I guess

Edited by jellyfish (03/01/19 05:12 PM)

Offlinejellyfish

#836576 - 03/10/19 12:31 AM (5 years, 20 days ago)

This one looks like a male

Can't really tell yet for the others

OfflineRider420
Stranger

#836800 - 03/24/19 11:09 AM (5 years, 5 days ago)

Sorry dude but that is a male, what sex were the rest?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder