Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Re: Im a new Cannabis Grower! [Re: Mof] * 3
    #815788 - 06/25/16 07:52 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Remember when you compare cfl light to hid light you can't do like wattages. That means you don't compare a 250 cfl to a 250 hid cause there is no comparison. A 75 watt hid can put out the light of a 200 watt cfl light. People are dumb enough to think that cfl light is cooler when it's way hotter then hid light.

In order for cfl light to put out as many lumens as hid you have to have 10 times the wattage (actually more). So a 75 watt would be brighter and cooler then the 250w cfl and cost way way less to run.

If people knew what they were doing we would never even hear of cfl lights being used.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFat_A
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Sweden Flag
Re: Im a new Cannabis Grower! [Re: Magash]
    #815791 - 06/25/16 11:38 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Well this is a downer. The stores all said its cheaper and cooler than a HID, but that wasnt the reason I bought it. Ive seen people use CFL lights HERE, small bulbs and many of them. It seems to work. I work on increasing the light if needed but for my growspace I was told it was enough by members here so I am sorry if I made some mistake but I couldnt afford a HID and the CFL seemed a good alternative. No one objected. Well, now I know I guess...

--------------------
Im doing this because its so fun!

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Re: Im a new Cannabis Grower! [Re: Fat_A]
    #815792 - 06/26/16 12:43 AM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah I hear ya it's one of the most common things people do. In order to get the amount of light a 250 watt hid light puts out you'd need near 3000 watts of cfls which would run way hotter. So next time measure the amount of light instead of the wattages cause different types of bulbs put out different amounts of light per watt.

A hid bulb for your space would most likely cost less then the cfl bulb for the same space and it's available at any Home Depot or lowes. (They carry the low wattage hid lights)

Remember when at a store they hire people off the street like any other business and very few hydro shop employees have any experience at all growing.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

OfflineFat_A
Stranger
 User Gallery

#815793 - 06/26/16 01:13 AM (7 years, 8 months ago)

OK, I get it but this was already something I did know as it turns out. The stores said the CFL 250 W put out about 10 000 lumens, for a 60 X60 CM growtent that should according to another member here be enough for my needs. I will only grow 2-3 plants at the most and the light fixture barely fit into the tent. I was amazed by its size. Ive seen other growers use smaller CFL bulbs for 2 plants and that seems to work out, not that I needed to build a mock growroom inside a closet, it just seemed to me that the space I grew in was adapted for this rather large darn light.

So will 10 000 lumens be enough for a 60 X 60 Cm growspace? I can barely fit 2 11 liter Plant It Dit pots inside and the light covers the entire space and is actually darn bright, far brighter than I expected.

I could supplement it with a LED rack on the side, in fact 2 of them if need be.

--------------------

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
    #815796 - 06/26/16 06:01 AM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
In order for cfl light to put out as many lumens as hid you have to have 10 times the wattage (actually more). So a 75 watt would be brighter and cooler then the 250w cfl and cost way way less to run.
In order to get the amount of light a 250 watt hid light puts out you'd need near 3000 watts of cfls which would run way hotter.

Could you provide a source for these statements or elaborate on your meaning? A 250W CFL grow light @2700K puts out ~1/3 the lumens of a 250W HPS, not 1/10th or lower.

It still correctly supports both you and I in our statements that CFLs are a poor comparison for HID grow light, but I've grown under an array of standard household CFLs by directly comparing the lumen output at a desired color temperature, and calculating the lux to fall within the required range for cannabis. This worked well for me. If what you are claiming is true, then I would have to have more than tripled what I calculated, which would have fried my plants and pushed my tent over 240,000 lux.

The reason I'm pushing this issue is that I've already looked at the product that he bought, and going off of color temperature and rated lumens, his lux calculation is good. We had also discussed how CFLs would work but were sub-par compared to HID, and he made the choice to buy anyway. I don't want him to get the impression that he bought 25W worth of lighting and get discouraged, because to the best of my knowledge and experience he still has a working growtent that will still grow bud (albeit at a lower electrical/thermal efficiency).

Maybe I'm wrong, in which case I am open to learning more about it and apologizing to this fellow for leading him astray on his grow project.

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

OfflineFat_A
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Im a new Cannabis Grower! [Re: Data]
    #815800 - 06/26/16 07:42 AM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Thank you dearly for that nice post agamote, that cleared up a lot of questions. I did notice that this huge damn lamp puts off a fair amount of heat and that my soil had turned to desert while I was away, I didnt think it would run that warm so I guess the part about heat wasnt an understatement, although I remember that the stores said the lamp puts off 10 000 lumens, I dont know if that makes sense but if I believe agamotes here which I really do, then my light gives off far more than that? Well Ill go to the manufacturers website and check. Anyways, thanks for the post, I had also noticed that some growers used 55 W bigbulb cfl:s for their growth and that seemed to work.

""You're going to want at least 3,000 to 5,000 lumens per square foot during the vegetative period.

4 x T5 HO 24 Watt tubes will give about 7,600 lumens (and use about 100 Watts), which is about 760 lumens/foot².
250 Watt compact will probably give around 19,000 lumens, which is about 1,900 lumens/square foot. "" - Hoisted from another grow forum..

I couldnt find anything from the manufacturers website but this may be a hint as to how powerful the light is. Anyways, this is interesting..

Edited by Fat_A (06/26/16 07:48 AM)

OfflineFat_A
Stranger
 User Gallery

#815802 - 06/26/16 07:59 AM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Tell Mr Trump his Cannabis is on the way...Fat_A just called, we have sprouting, we have sprouting...may all the bitches dance

--------------------

OfflineFat_A
Stranger
 User Gallery

#815804 - 06/26/16 08:07 AM (7 years, 8 months ago)

EnviroGro CFL Lamp 250 Watts Blue (Cool White)

The EnviroGro CFL Lamp 250 Watts Blue is an economical lamp for use in propagation or the veg stage. The lamp has low power consumption and the blue colour encourages lush, vegetative growth. Please note that the packaging now refers to these lamps as 'Cool White'. They are, however, exactly the same, with a 6400k spectrum.
EnviroGro – Well-known and trusted brand in plant lighting
CFL – Compact Fluorescent Lamp
Power consumption – only 250 Watts
Produces 14400 Lumens
Blue spectrum – ideal for propagation or veg stage
Colour temperature – 6400K
Built-in Ballast
E40 fitting – fits most reflectors except the Euro Reflector

Found the product. Thats not bad actually...barely fits in my tent..

--------------------

InvisibleP-O

#815806 - 06/26/16 08:55 AM (7 years, 8 months ago)

put the seedlings closer to the light so they dont stretch

maybe put something under em to lift them closer

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Re: Im a new Cannabis Grower! [Re: P-O]
    #815840 - 06/26/16 10:17 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Maybe I'm wrong, in which case I am open to learning more about it and apologizing to this fellow for leading him astray on his grow project.

No no no no no your advise was sound and his system will work fine for his needs.

Quote:

his lux calculation is good. We had also discussed how CFLs would work but were sub-par compared to HID

I hadn't seen any of this and didn't realize you had told him about hid's and stuff. I didn't mean to hint that his system with the cfl didn't work I was just saying there are better ways but you seem to already be on top of it.

Quote:

Nah nah nah you're on top of it. Don't compare to regular HID lights remember to compare to the ones made for growing plants (I know you most likely already know that but something just makes me say it)

agmotes165 if I had known you already went over HID lights I'd have stayed out of it. :facepalm3:

--------------------

OfflineFat_A
Stranger
 User Gallery

#815842 - 06/27/16 01:11 AM (7 years, 8 months ago)

I just want to say that I think its wonderful to have had so many people coming in and helping me, including you magash. I knew why you mentioned the lights, you must have thought about regular cfls, because the other guys mentioned them. This light is massive, I cant believe it fit into my tent and its doing fine.

I have two sprouts now working towards their sun:)

thanks for all the help guys

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

#815848 - 06/27/16 03:50 AM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Nah I'm familuar with your light I've been growing myself indoors since 1985 and outdoors even longer. People see those huge cfl lights and are immediately drawn to them. When they first came out about 10 or so years ago they were suppose to take the place of hid lights but didn't work out that way. They just don't have any penetration power. Use a light meter and measure the light drop off as you get away from the bulb or deeper into the plants. (See there I go again mentioning shit I'm sure you know in fact I know you know it so I'm shutting up on the cfl lights now :rolleyes:) Then LED lights were suppose to take the place of HID lights. (and they will given time)

You're on top of it and your plants are gonna do fine.

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
    #815850 - 06/27/16 05:39 AM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for clearing that up for me Magash. :thumbup:

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck