Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineqwatch2000
Stranger
1st time BHO run, fairly successful need help finetuning
    #808370 - 03/19/16 09:52 PM (8 years, 10 days ago)

I have done weeks of research (forums, YouTube, Wiki, same basic chemistry). I have all my equipment except a good vac chamber (coming soon) and a pretty good understanding of how and why of the BHO. Here's the setup I ran last night.

-1/2OZ quality buds medium-fine ground with hand grinder and packed into tube
-one 50 micron screen secured tightly with hose clamp wrapped around wide end

-blasted with MZ12x Organic Butane (it comes with no tip(s) so it made it very difficult to get a solid flow without pushing the nozzle against the side of the tube;also broke my tube in the process
-got a decent amber color but also a fair amount of contaminates and some plant matter
-warm water evapped and whipped,popping bubbles for 30 or so minutes

-whipped some more and I think the heat got away from me here a bit

-continued whipping until what I assumed was a "buttering stage" (it began to stick to itself and take on that stringy taffy consistency)
-i tried a heat gun and makeshift rolling pin to roll it out at first and then proceeded to use a flat iron and may have actually burned a little

it is stable,tacky,it breaks off and doesn't burn or flame up when smoked but has a dark green color and the taste is slightly harsher than the honey i purchased recently that is (of course) that nice amber color

purchased honey on the left, my finished "sap" on the right
some things I think went wrong: the material was not packed tightly enough because when re-examined the next morning (this morning) it still had lots of crystals on it. didn't look like it had been blasted at all. so today i ran the tube again but packed several different ways until i landed a method that didn't blow out or blow back or do anything but allow the butane to slowly drip past the buds. i packed coffee filters into the space between the bud and the wide end and used coffee at the tapered end as well so that the butane actually dispersed before hitting the bud next time i plan to use Brillo or something like it.. my question is all of them ever.

is there such a thing as too much filtering? what combos of filters do you use? and how important is the fullness and tightness of the pack (i was noticing it would flow nicely for a few seconds build up pressure and shoot the buds forward to fill the space until I packed with coffee filter. And all the other questions too such as did i get too hot or did i have too many impurities in my final product? did all it have to do with the first fun F****** up and having to re-do it so many times? maybe strain dependent? I've heard things about winterization and ISO purging as well. too many questions at once I know but if anyone can answer just one they'll all get answered eventually.

totally new to using forums to get answers; any help or redirection or PM help would greatly appreciated!!!

thanks everyone! i just realized i'm way dabbed out and rambling on my first ever forum post anyw...i'll stop. thanks for any help

:rasta:
What kind of filter do you use?
You may choose only one

Votes accepted from (03/19/16 06:52 PM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleNevar44
Stranger

Loc: west/east WA
Re: 1st time BHO run, fairly successful need help finetuning [Re: qwatch2000]
    #808389 - 03/20/16 08:33 PM (8 years, 9 days ago)

Imo, make hash. Not bho.

U can make hash, that IS just t he oils. Looks like oil smokes like oil. It IS just the oils... u could dab it and it'd leave no reside on ur nail..

I'd look into that. Then u won't have chemical residuals in ur smoke from solvents. Cause all u used was water... ro water preferably..

Winterizing, can be done with Hugh proof ethanol.

Ever get thag waxy coating on ur teeth from dabbin?? Winterizing will take that away. It removes the lipids or the fats and waxes.. whatever the correct terminology would be lol...

U dissolve ur oil into ethanol. Put mixture into freezer. The waxes will freeze out of the solution. They will look like little pieces of butter floating around in ur ethanol mixture. All the thc Will be dissolved in the ethanol.

Now while it's cold, pour it through a filter and that will filter ur waxes out... leaving u cleaner bho.. smokes better that wa. Ur yeild will be decreased but that should be a good thing unless u like smoking impurities

Any oils I have seen made w thag stuff comes out green and smokes worse thag butane oil which is bad lol... winterizing it might take care of that green color I'm curious...

--------------------
Reishi For Cannabis??

This is exactly how I grow

Trade List

Edited by Nevar44 (03/20/16 08:34 PM)

InvisibleNevar44
Stranger

Re: 1st time BHO run, fairly successful need help finetuning [Re: Nevar44]
    #808400 - 03/21/16 12:31 AM (8 years, 9 days ago)

Bho I'd food grade to me...

Dunno why people smoke food grade stuff... u wanna use diff chemicals for smokers grade concentrate... imo..

U didn't actually put coffee beans in the tube?? I'm assuming when u said u put coffee in the end u meant coffee filters.. lol

This bho fad, needs to stop

--------------------
Reishi For Cannabis??

Trade List

Offlineqwatch2000
Stranger
    #808417 - 03/21/16 11:15 AM (8 years, 8 days ago)

I'm starting to agree with you Both. There is much cleaner ways to make concentrate and with so many people attempting BHO there has got to be a large majority of very impure product out there. Even some  bought stuff I've gotten is BS. My runs came out sappy and green (I have some from my first pull that is getting shinier and is shatter like but still doesn't taste great) and after all day of blasting and dabbing I woke up the next AM with what I could only describe as a debilitating migraine. That's where other essential oils are awesome but I digress. Sidenote: yes I meant coffee filters...although...coffee beans may give it a...never mind :P

I think I'm going to winterize what I have (bought 151 proof Everclear by accident, that's what you get for sending someone else to the store, probably not strong enough so will get 99 ASAP) and then just stick my pressed rosin and maybe try my hand at some full melt bubble or ice bag hash that kinda stuff. No impurities not even any chance for impurities. This was kind of my test to decide whether or not to go forward with investing in a Vac and more supplies.  Hell this has turned into easily a thousand dollar project in a matter of weeks. Can you add friends on this forum or Pm/groups maybe ? Would love to have a group where we can bounce ideas and trade pictures of our creations? I guess that's the forum is for anyway. Thank you both for replying.

InvisibleNevar44
Stranger

#808418 - 03/21/16 11:26 AM (8 years, 8 days ago)

Yeah I'd use at least the 190 proof ever clear

No friends as u mentioned, people will come on ur thread in time... and give friendly advice..

Not a huge amount of people frequent these threads but just give it time..

U can share pics and bounce ideas back and forth right here on the on threads u make :smile:

--------------------
Reishi For Cannabis??

Trade List

Offlineqwatch2000
Stranger
    #808420 - 03/21/16 11:38 AM (8 years, 8 days ago)

Mm she's a bute. My very first pull is starting to get shiny and actually tastes better than the Amber honey oil I just got. I'm thinking about saving that to dab on and winterizing the dark green and sappy shit. I'll probably use 99 ISO. My bank account will thank me for only spending 50 bucks on a set of bubble bags instead of 250 on a cheap vac that probably would've even be good enough. If I was doing it on a much larger scale I probably would continue trying but I'm doing half ounces ounces at at a time. Mainly because I'm sick of coughing up a lung and smoking flower constantly that doesn't keep me medicated for longer than an hour at a time until I need to toke again. So I'm looking into everything. Edibles (oil infusions) and tinctures are looking interesting too

Offlineqwatch2000
Stranger
    #808424 - 03/21/16 11:50 AM (8 years, 8 days ago)

How about 91 ISO? Just found some of that laying around wouldn't have to buy anything....

InvisibleNevar44
Stranger

#808433 - 03/21/16 01:14 PM (8 years, 8 days ago)

If ur herb makes u cough up a lung.., it could prob be grown a lot better.. u wanna see white white ashes.. smooth good flavored smoke..

Making good hash may be a little more tricky but look into it well and it should be easy. Frozen trim ect right out of the freezer. And don't over agitate..

I have no clue if iso will work at all. Look it up should be easy to find out

I know many growers so I can speak from Second hand experience mostly. No first hand experience w oils or hash or I'd roll u JUST how it's done.. gonna look into it when I cut her down its my first plant in years

--------------------
Reishi For Cannabis??

Trade List

InvisibleNevar44
Stranger

#808435 - 03/21/16 01:18 PM (8 years, 8 days ago)

Purging ur oils should be done no hotter than like 92-93 degrees if u remember right for best flavor preservation

That's another thing... bho KILLS I mean destroys terps...

Make some hash, then make some oils... if both are done perfect the hash will always taste better ime

--------------------
Reishi For Cannabis??

Trade List

Offlineqwatch2000
Stranger
    #808436 - 03/21/16 01:20 PM (8 years, 8 days ago)

Forget BHO. Just made this in all of about ten seconds (can't get the pictures to upload but it's pure pressed rosin wax I just call it rosin and no chemicals touched it, I'll post a pic when I get on my PC) with one little nug, parchment, and a hair straightener. No chemicals no bullshit. My arbor press got here Sunday and I'm building a rosin press for less than a hundred bucks this week. I can post pics of that and the link for the guide I'm using too later on.

Offlineqwatch2000
Stranger
    #808439 - 03/21/16 02:46 PM (8 years, 8 days ago)

I'm looking into getting bubble bags and then doing full melt or just pressing it. any suggestions for bag brands? i wouldnt get the cheapest but i'm looking on amazon and they have some decent 1gal kits for cheap. do you really need all the different micron sizes? I wouldnt neccesarily need to make 8 grades of hash

InvisibleNevar44
Stranger

#808440 - 03/21/16 03:30 PM (8 years, 8 days ago)

I've never made hash bro lmao... I just know stuff lol

Google search ur qs about bag brands.. ull find something... Maybe someone will come on here w info about that..

As far as all the diff sizes...

I think the other sizes may help u filter out the stuff u don't want ya know.. once u get all the cap u don't want in ur hash out... u will then be able to refine it down to full melt..

If u don't get all the big crap out first u won't be able to make FULL melt w bags I imagine

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the larger mic bags are for removing the larger plant matter

U can make hash even better then full melt. Full melt when u dab it, will leave residue on ur nail.. "No ash hash" will not leave any residue on the nail. Thays where it gets it name lol

--------------------
Reishi For Cannabis??

Trade List

Offlineqwatch2000
Stranger
    #808443 - 03/21/16 03:43 PM (8 years, 8 days ago)

Ahhh I see. I do way too much research before I buy anything whether it costs 50 bucks or 500. I just like hearing from others more directly and hear ideas like what you said about no ash hash. That's what I want. I went with a Quartz banger and I love it. May go Ti eventually but the Quartz feels more pure. Thanks as always

InvisibleNevar44
Stranger

#808495 - 03/21/16 09:40 PM (8 years, 8 days ago)

Quarts over metals any day personally

--------------------
Reishi For Cannabis??

Trade List

Offlineqwatch2000
Stranger
    #808527 - 03/22/16 12:56 PM (8 years, 7 days ago)

Agreed. When this Quartz finally goes (I take good care of it, q-tip  after almost every use, and give it a good hot water cleaning about every day or so

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains