Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblePandor

cooking with BHO? *DELETED*
    #577400 - 08/09/11 02:51 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Post deleted by Pandor

Reason for deletion: plus plus to yo face

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
Re: cooking with BHO? [Re: Pandor]
    #577696 - 08/11/11 08:48 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I have the same issue as you. I can't seem to find any info on cooking with extracts. Everyone seems to cook with buds.

Honestly, the only way I have figured it out is through trail and error...I wish there were more info out there, but there just isn't.

That said, I cooked with ~1g of BHO in 1 stick of butter. I made something like 12 cookies from that, and they were very disappointing for me. Other non-smokers seemed to enjoy them quite a bit, but it didn't do what I had hoped. I really wish I just saved my BHO for smoking.

If you have quite a bit of it, go for it. But, use my ratio there as a starting point.

I cook with iso hash quite a bit...I find that 2g of iso in 12 cookies will knock me the fuck out. I always say I shoulda made 16 or so, which would still be almost too strong.

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

InvisiblePandor

Re: cooking with BHO? [Re: RasJeph]
    #577827 - 08/11/11 10:14 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I know BHO is butane hash oil. Not sure on the details of how hard it is to make. I know my friend made some. He gave me about 3 tablespoons to try. He also gave me a shit load of smoke so I really want to learn to cook with the oil. I found a pretty interesting article on how to make chocolate with it.

www.tokecity.com/forums/showthread.php4?t=33499

What do you think of that one?

What is ISO oil? I am guessing you use that type of alcohol. Is that easy to make with shake? Cuz he gave me a jar of really good shake too.

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger

Trusted Cultivator
    #577838 - 08/11/11 11:53 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

iso oil is oil extracted using alcohol usually isopropal (hence iso) I think I'd prefer using an ethanol extracted oil for cooking but best would be using kief or bubble in my opinion.. if you're looking for something stronger than kief you can make oil from kief by heating it in a metal bowl, oils will sweat from the kief it's essentially a no solvent oil.

I don't know how much worse cooking with BHO would be compared to smoking a bowl with a bic lighter, I just prefer not getting butane into my body when I can avoid it.

Check out icmag and search "rosen" for that method of making solventless oil.

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Re: cooking with BHO? [Re: maryanne3087]
    #577876 - 08/12/11 06:47 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

BHO is far superior to iso...er, well, iso made by the untrained person. At this point, I consider my iso right on par with any other hash oils I've tried. It takes a bit of practice, but its easy and extremely quick.

I fucked up my first BHO run...I only got a little bit out of it and ended up running the leftovers in some iso. :shrug:

If you'd like, I can make a tutorial. Bubblehash isn't really practical unless you have a ton of material and a lot of equipment.

--------------------

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger

Trusted Cultivator
    #577950 - 08/12/11 12:09 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

A lot of equipment like some bags and a garbage pail or bucket?

Also, I would make my choice for using bubble over butane because it's solventless. I'd also use Ethanol over Iso for cooking purposes, I don't know how harmful Iso is to consume in such quantities but I'd still go with Ethanol over iso for cooking purposes which is me basically saying I won't use either because I'd cook with kief, bubble, or glycerin tincture (if making lollipops, soda, ice cream)

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

#577960 - 08/12/11 01:17 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Scratch that, fairly expensive equipment for a hobbyist hash maker. 

And I dunno. If you let it evaporate to be dry to the touch theres no iso leftover afaik. Been smoking and eating it for years now and never had an issue. :shrug:

Whatever though. A bottle of cheap vodka is only a few dollars more and you get to drink what you don't use. So, 50/50. :tongue2:

--------------------

InvisiblePandor

#578006 - 08/12/11 06:17 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I have much to learn about cooking. I have never had any good edibles, so this is my new thing I want to learn most about right now.

So, Maryanne, your saying that bubble hash is best for cooking with. When I finish my own plants (seedlings just popped), I will try that.

For now, skip cooking with the BHO? What is this usually used for? Should I just get a vaporizer and smoke it? I really want to cook and I got kinda excited when my friend gave me this stuff but now I am a little disappointed.

He also gave me a decent sized jar of shake. Maybe I will look in to that making that solventless oil you mentioned.

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger

Trusted Cultivator
    #578042 - 08/13/11 02:40 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

First off, what are you cooking? If you're looking to make brownies or baked goods containing butter, you're best bet is probably to just make weed butter in which case I'd much much much rather use bubble but trim or buds would work just fine also. When making sodas, hard candy, is when purity matters more in which case I'd use bubble and infuse that into a glycerin tincture.

You can use BHO for cooking, I just personally wouldn't for health reasons. I don't actually know how harmful it would be SamSkunkMan said he did GC tests of the finest BHO samples he could find and said that all of them still had butane in them regardless of how much work was done trying to clean them of it. So for that reason I wouldn't cook with it and I will RARELY if at all smoke any of it.

It's your call.

InvisiblePandor

#578065 - 08/13/11 10:22 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I want to make candies. Preferably hard candies or chocolates if it's easier.
I do care about my health and I would not feel right serving others my edibles if I used butane.
This is all new to me, I just started researching all this.

I'll tell my friend next time around to make bubble hash out of his trimmings.

For now, is there any way you would recommend me to start making candies?
I have a jar of shake and a few ounces of high quality meds. I don't mind using them, I just don't want to waste them.

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger

Trusted Cultivator
    #578070 - 08/13/11 11:04 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

With hard candies you would want to use glycerin to carry the THC into the candies. For chocolates you could use the cocoa butter to hold the THC since it has a high fat content, then you would need to experiment with combining the cocoa powder (non fatty portion of the chocolate), sugar, and filling if desired like nuts or whatever.

Alternatively you could experiment with trying to use milk chocolate to carry the THC but I think that would be more of a headache since you'd be melting a complete chocolate mixture and wouldn't be able to filter the plant material. If going this route I'd just use kief or bubblehash since you're consuming less plant matter. You would also want to use the highest fat chocolate possible, which is why it would be better to use cocoa butter since it's essentially all fat.

I personally like baked goods using butter, I made a pie and the crust was made with 1/2 cup of insanely strong weed butter.

InvisiblePandor

#578076 - 08/13/11 12:50 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Is this how you would go about using glycerin to carry the THC?

(Copied from pandabear on rollitup.org)

You will need ONE CUP of food grade glycerin.
ONE OUNCE of top grade bud....chopped up with scissors or a burst in a cuisinart.
A Quart jar with a good SEAL.

Put the ingredients in the jar and give it a shake for about 5-10 minutes a day for two months. (IT IS WORTH the TIME!)

Press out the glycerin and strain well; and put in brown bottles with eyedropper.

I use a professional food press, so I get back the total amount of glycerin plus a little extra. A ricer will also work well if you line it with cheesecloth.

The medicine is as good as what you put into it. I find this a very good way to medicate at social functions. I carry mine in an herb tincture bottle. A drop or a dropper under the tongue is a good way to find relief.

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger

Trusted Cultivator
    #578080 - 08/13/11 02:01 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah that sounds about right.

Using top shelf buds def helps a lot.

I forgot the claim to doses someone posted on some forum but it was something like 1 oz = 2500-3000 doses when using glycerin tincture... each dose being equivalent to a .3 gram bowl. Whatever it is, your weed is best spent this way in terms of economics as far as I know.

InvisiblePandor

#578101 - 08/13/11 04:12 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Since it takes months, I had better get moving.

Thanks Maryanne.

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

#578241 - 08/14/11 10:55 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Wouldn't the BHO be just as bad to smoke as it would to ingest?

Since you're not throwing it away, I say go ahead and cook with it :shrug: I mean, if you're gonna get a dangerous chemical in your body anyway, I don't think the method of getting it in matters...

:shrug:

If you wanna cook with the BHO, just melt down some butter and put the BHO in there. Let it simmer for a few minutes (NOT BOIL, REAL LIGHT SIMMER) and then use the butter to bake with. So much easier than making butter from plant material...with all the straining and time involved. You can make cannabutter from an extract in 5 minutes, where plant material is overnight (I think?).

I found 1g for 1 stick of butter wasn't quite what I hoped it to be...it depends on your  tolerance and 1000's of other factors, I'm sure.

--------------------

InvisiblePandor

#578251 - 08/14/11 11:30 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I have to do some more research on how harmful it is to ingest BHO, but one thing I learned from using this site is to listen to Maryanne.

I just took my shake and made some regular cannabutter and I did find a recipe for lollipops that uses butter and gelatin, so I may just try that. If I have any luck with it I will post it here later.

I was just really excited when I got the BHO from my friend not knowing that it is made with a toxic chemical that remains in it.

Ras, are you saying you have eaten BHO before and it hasn't made you sick? Do you trust your source? It sounds like it's not even worth bothering with it IMO. My friend has a ton of it and he wants to just toss it. I guess he was so pissed that no one wants his BHO, that he just tossed clippings from a 4 pound harvest. I was really disappointed when I learned this. Any way, I am rambling on, my point was that I don't think BHO is worth it.

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger

Trusted Cultivator
    #578254 - 08/14/11 12:01 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

For the record I don't know how harmful it is to ingest I just know I don't want to ingest butane and a good way to avoid that is not smoking or eating BHO.

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

#578682 - 08/16/11 06:51 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I made my own BHO from what I heard to be the finest butane available. I didn't get sick at all from it.

Its up to you really :shrug: I know there are plenty of people who use it on a regular basis and are fine.

I understand where maryanne is coming from, it probably isn't the ideal way to make an extract...but I dunno. Maybe I'm just not worried about stuff like that enough for my own good.

--------------------

InvisiblePandor

#578718 - 08/16/11 09:45 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I have been researching a lot the last few days and either I am not typing the right stuff in to the search engines or the information out there is very limited.

One edible company in California bashed cooking with BHO but then went on to say that 90% of the edibles in dispensaries are made with the stuff. I have no idea if this is true or not.

I am just worried about using it because butane must not be safe to consume. I opened the jar and smelled it and tried to roll a ball up in my fingertips and the hash is greasy and smelled gassy.

I've read that there are techniques such as purging and heat treating to completely remove butane. No one knows for sure if these work. I keep going in circles with this because I don't want to deal with it but I hate wasting it.

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger

Trusted Cultivator
    #578728 - 08/16/11 10:52 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

You can't "completely" remove the butane as far as I know. Which was Sam The Skunkman's point, after doing everything he could to try to remove the butane it was still detectable by GC.

InvisiblePandor

#578749 - 08/16/11 01:55 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

yea, I figured as much. But how much is left in there? If it's a minuscule amount in there, how unsafe is it? Is it unethical to use the BHO I have? I think I already know the answers here, unfortunately. I just hate wasting it. I convinced my friend to give me his next batch of clippings so I can make bubble hash.

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger

Trusted Cultivator
    #578762 - 08/16/11 03:40 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I know lots of people who eat BHO edibles frequently it's easy to add to any of your baked goods. I think it's unethical to serve any sort of food with toxic substances in it if avoidable, I think this is akin to serving alcohol with anti freeze in it, not enough to hurt you maybe but it's still in there.

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

#578772 - 08/16/11 04:11 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I think this is best taken over to the hash forum where more people can chime in. Its an interesting subject.

If your stuff was made with low quality butane and not purged correctly, then its going to be less healthy than those made with high quality and triple+ purged of course. :shrug:

I'm sure a lot of it has to do with technique and whathaveyou as well. I'll gladly take it off your hands :lol:

--------------------

InvisiblePandor

#578788 - 08/16/11 05:13 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I'll ask a mod to move the thread.

InvisiblePandor

#580731 - 08/24/11 06:21 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I've PMed 2 different mods and got ignored twice about moving the thread.

Is this bad etiquette? How does one go about getting a thread moved?

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: cooking with BHO? (moved) [Re: Pandor]
    #582319 - 08/30/11 07:16 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

This thread was moved from Culinary Cannabis.

Reason:
You never asked me.:lol:
WIsh granted.

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Trusted Cultivator
Re: cooking with BHO? (moved) [Re: Stoneth]
    #582460 - 08/31/11 12:33 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

She sent me a PM about it.  Sorry I didn't respond to that.  I actually tried to move the thread and saw that I didn't have access to those mod privileges in that forum so i waited and was going to move it another time but forgot.  Sorry for the delay Pandor.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineShroomopotamus
Forever Higher

#625651 - 06/02/12 11:32 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

RasJeph said:

I always say I shoulda made 16 or so, which would still be almost too strong.

im the same way with everything i make too... and ive never even cooked with hash... yet ;-)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals