Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Blue knight * Lavendar kush * Jilly Bean [Re: Nevar44]
    #805237 - 02/03/16 07:11 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

It seems shorter than what I had in mind. I've barely touched on can cannabis genetics yet. Need to read a lot more.

Yeah this is a good read

If you really want to get into it

Quote:

I wondered if seed banks sold their unstable seeds

Almost all seeds sold by banks in Amsterdam are F1s. I do know that Granddaddy Purple seeds are stable but that's cause I've known Ken the owner for years.

Quote:

And shouldn't they be stable?

The seeds business can be quite a greedy business. There are places that are legit then there are places like Green House seeds and Dutch Passion that suck. Granddaddy doesn't do fems and there is a damn good chance of getting a killer male from them.

Quote:

So I've heard few diff things on fem seeds just haven't looked into cause I'm not so into it. I want males.

When your ready I can explain it. When done right there is no more chance of herms with fems seeds then with normal ones. Herms are not used to make fems seeds.

Quote:

So no spray on hormone or funny stuff?

No hormone but there is spray that makes a hormone unusable by the plant which causes the female flowers to form male but when done right the plant never knows it's happening :wink:

Quote:

I'd love to trade when I get my strain going lol give me some yrs tho don't go anywhere lol :smile:

LOL...I'll be around.

Quote:

Did u select for/ end up with the sour d funky diesel flavors or GC fruity Ness or??

YOu know kind of both. I went for a sour fruit taste but it leans more toward the GC.

Quote:

I'm very curious here about much hopefully don't mind

Nope, I don't mind. I've always said if I can't answer questions then I shouldn't moderator. Also if I've never tried something I'll tell you and won't answer the question. I don't go by books or info alone I have to have tried it. :stoned: (I'm not gonna be responsible for a fuckup in somebody's garden) :crazy2:

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleNevar44
Stranger

Loc: west/east WA
Re: Blue knight * Lavendar kush * Jilly Bean [Re: Magash]
    #805239 - 02/03/16 07:38 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Alright, I figured ud usually  stabilize the first pair then add the third. But basically this is what I'd be doing in my case w this male of mine I'm thinking.. attempting a three way cross w these genes.

Wish me luck

I know I'm in for the long haul lol but I'm all about it tho :smile:

I got one more for u, would cloning the male out to and flowering the clone be wise? To ensure the male clones carry the traits. Or is that mainly important w the females cause u will be cloning them. Males u won't clone normally so maybe this wouldn't be necessary? ?

Thanks for the replies mag u have helped  broaden my understanding of genetics I appreciate that a lot

--------------------
Reishi For Cannabis??

This is exactly how I grow

Trade List

Edited by Nevar44 (02/03/16 07:39 PM)

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #805271 - 02/04/16 09:42 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

would cloning the male out to and flowering the clone be wise? To ensure the male clones carry the traits.

Yes this is a killer idea. Flower out a male then discover it's killer and then have nothing to fall back of if you don't collect enough pollen or say down the line you catch yourself with a new killer female saying "damn I wish I still had that male it would go killer with this strain".

Quote:

u will be cloning them. Males u won't clone normally so maybe this wouldn't be necessary

Remember that's most people not people that like to do experiments or want to come up with new strains and that is the category we fall into. I hate to say it like this but it's a step further in growing then the normal person who just grows for smoke.

Quote:

Thanks for the replies mag u have helped  broaden my understanding of genetics I appreciate that a lot

Blaaaaa.....you scratch my back I scratch yours. That's why we are all here. Believe me if I need info on Lavender Kush I'll be getting a hold of ya. :wink::crazy2::grin:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

InvisibleNevar44
Stranger

#805272 - 02/04/16 10:01 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
Quote:

would cloning the male out to and flowering the clone be wise? To ensure the male clones carry the traits.

Yes this is a killer idea. Flower out a male then discover it's killer and then have nothing to fall back of if you don't collect enough pollen or say down the line you catch yourself with a new killer female saying "damn I wish I still had that male it would go killer with this strain".

Quote:

u will be cloning them. Males u won't clone normally so maybe this wouldn't be necessary

Remember that's most people not people that like to do experiments or want to come up with new strains and that is the category we fall into. I hate to say it like this but it's a step further in growing then the normal person who just grows for smoke.

Quote:

Blaaaaa.....you scratch my back I scratch yours. That's why we are all here. Believe me if I need info on Lavender Kush I'll be getting a hold of ya. :wink::crazy2::grin:

:rockon: 

Let the games begin lol

I've been fascinated w herb since 13. Now at 26 after learning about fungi genetics somewhat here I am ready to dive head first into selective breeding. I'm so amped up lately lmao. I'll be posting often.

I'll prob start a grow log w the LK. I'm gonna start some blue knight and few more LK in a week or so.

Currently have several diff f1 crosses going, one LK, and some of "chico seeds"

--------------------
Reishi For Cannabis??

Trade List

Edited by Nevar44 (02/04/16 10:03 AM)

InvisibleNevar44
Stranger

#805307 - 02/04/16 03:32 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I wanna clone this male cause it's getting too big.

Figured it wouldn't hurt and might be a good idea

Maybe clone, grow it out for pollen then clone from the clone for more pollen.

Only keep that male if the two clones carry good traits.

Skip the first male altogether? ? To ensure it a good one that'll clone well

I'm just very limited on funding currently and I would flower the male w out cloning but, cloning it will help me save time so I can save money and assemble a box to flower it out at a friend's house...

I totally get what u r saying tho running outta pollen would so suck

--------------------
Reishi For Cannabis??

Trade List

InvisibleNevar44
Stranger

#805463 - 02/07/16 10:08 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

This male of mine has 11 leaves w an occasional 10 leaf mutation...

Is this common?

Is this traits coming together being non compatible? ?

Is this a mutation that may mean I need to keep a close eye on him and his offspring if I cross him w any females?

Or is this simply a trait he carries??

--------------------
Reishi For Cannabis??

Trade List

Edited by Nevar44 (02/07/16 10:15 AM)

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #805499 - 02/07/16 02:52 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

This male of mine has 11 leaves w an occasional 10 leaf mutation...

Is this common?

Yeah, I've had it go both ways. Sometimes it's a extra blade sometimes like in your case it's minus one.

Quote:

Or is this simply a trait he carries?

Yup, that's about it. Your gonna see something like that on a shitload of plants if you stay with growing. :thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleNevar44
Stranger

#806964 - 02/29/16 01:24 PM (8 years, 29 days ago)

So if u have a male plant, and put it outside a month or so ago to flower...

It's in cali...

The plants started its flower cycle at roughly 10 hrs light 14 hrs dark

Now it's finishing flower at 11 1/2 hrs light and 12 1/2 hrs dark

Do u think this will have an affect on the pollen and breeding qualities of the male? Would u use pollen grown in such a way?

The light cycle is increasing basically, where in nature during flower the light cycle is decreasing...

Thoughts??

--------------------
Reishi For Cannabis??

Trade List

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #807022 - 03/01/16 01:38 AM (8 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

Do u think this will have an affect on the pollen and breeding qualities of the male? Would u use pollen grown in such a way?

Nah the plant will be fine till the point that the light interupts flowering. What will happen then is a process called reverting where the plant leaves start to reduce the nmber of blaces till they get back to one blade a leaf like seedlings and then starts growing normally again. The process can slow things down by weeks.

Example: Had to be around 1987 or so when we had a room full of plant that needed sexing. We turned back the lights,  they showed signs and then they just froze for a few weeks then went into reverting. A lesson well learned. Should have taken cuttings and sexed those.

--------------------

InvisibleNevar44
Stranger

#807036 - 03/01/16 08:12 AM (8 years, 29 days ago)

Nice thanks mag

So I'm guessing u do not put your plants into flower, to sex them?

Some people put their plant in flower for a week or so to sex it, then once it shows sex, they put it back into veg??

This hasn't ever made any sense to me...

Why not just wait till the dam thing shows its sex in veg??

It doesn't take very long to show sex in veg of u have a close eye...

About a month from seed is how long mine have been taking lately to how sex in veg

--------------------
Reishi For Cannabis??

Trade List

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #807041 - 03/01/16 11:46 AM (8 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

Nevar44 said:
Nice thanks mag

So I'm guessing u do not put your plants into flower, to sex them?

Some people put their plant in flower for a week or so to sex it, then once it shows sex, they put it back into veg??

This hasn't ever made any sense to me...

Why not just wait till the dam thing shows its sex in veg??

It doesn't take very long to show sex in veg of u have a close eye...

About a month from seed is how long mine have been taking lately to how sex in veg

Nah, I don't put them into flower to sex them but that was 1987 and we were just figuring things out. You should have seen the lights and hydro systems that were around at that time. Most everybody started every crop from seed cause we didn't know about taking cuttings yet. Was the early 90s before people were really taking cuttings with this new stuff that was just released called rockwool.:yesnod:

--------------------

InvisibleNevar44
Stranger

#807043 - 03/01/16 12:16 PM (8 years, 28 days ago)

Nice lol good stuff

I read somewhere online, an old timer saying to take clones back in the 70s 80s...

he used to take plastic and wrap it around one of the plants branches. Then tape the bottom of the plastic tight to the plant..

Forming a small plastic pot on the branch, that he then filled with dirt.

He kept it moist and said roots would grow everything

Very interesting that clones weren't really being used widely until 90s :smile:

--------------------
Reishi For Cannabis??

Trade List

InvisibleNevar44
Stranger

#807048 - 03/01/16 01:17 PM (8 years, 28 days ago)

Added agent orange to my collection, I know very little about her

--------------------
Reishi For Cannabis??

Trade List

InvisibleNevar44
Stranger

#808082 - 03/16/16 09:31 AM (8 years, 14 days ago)

Hey mag, have a question for ya :smile:

When u make a new line of seeds and are at the F1 stage..

Is it common to get hermie at the F1 stage?

Or, if u were to get several hermies, or more than hermie... from those F1 seeds..

Would u consider those f1s bad and hermie prone??

Or do u just weed out the non compatible phenos that hermed out??? And keep cracking those f1s until u get a nice plant that doesn't herm?

Seems to me u wouldn't even wanna work with those seeds.. but I need to do a lot of reading still lol..

--------------------
Reishi For Cannabis??

Trade List

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #808152 - 03/17/16 04:33 AM (8 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

Is it common to get hermie at the F1 stage?

No more common then at any other stage of growth also the strain is gonna matter also in some cases. Thai for example is prone to going hermie at moments notice but if your having a problem with a common strain not know for being hermie then the choice in parent plants was bad. (most likely)

Quote:

Or, if u were to get several hermies, or more than hermie... from those F1 seeds..

Would u consider those f1s bad and hermie prone??

If I find 2 hermie seeds in a hundred then there junk. Last thing I want to do is pass on hermie traits.

Quote:

Or do u just weed out the non compatible phenos that hermed out??? And keep cracking those f1s until u get a nice plant that doesn't herm?

No no no...You have two parents both with brown eyes but the lady had a father with blue. She has the blue eye gene in her to pass on so her kids can have blue eyes even if her husband comes from 20 generations of brown eyes.

If you're getting that many hermies in a batch it's safe to assume even the good plants you find have the hermie trait in them to pass on.

Quote:

Seems to me u wouldn't even wanna work with those seeds.

Exactly. I add them to the bird seed. :crazymonkey:

--------------------

InvisibleNevar44
Stranger

#808166 - 03/17/16 09:12 AM (8 years, 13 days ago)

Lmao, I had to ask because I felt that hermie meant hermie traits which means KILL that gen..

But my buddy that made the seeds said, " u just gotta work w them"

Lol I didn't believe him so had to verify.

Good luck working w those hermie tendant seeds bro lol...

Ty mag

--------------------
Reishi For Cannabis??

Trade List

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale