Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDirtygoat
Bread

Indoor grow tent standing air
    #777916 - 05/06/15 11:30 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

I just bought one of these..

But it just came to my attention that the plants need good airflow.
I am planning on using led lights inside the tent and they have built in fans.

I am just wondering, would it be cruitial to install ducts and have the air washed out, or do you guys think the fans blowing with the led lights would be enough?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Indoor grow tent standing air [Re: Dirtygoat] * 1
    #777917 - 05/06/15 11:41 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Those fans are for th light unit itself.

You will still need an exhaust fan ducted out, an a intake vent no need for fan on this end.

OfflineDirtygoat
Bread

Re: Indoor grow tent standing air [Re: Stoneth]
    #777986 - 05/06/15 10:47 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

crap lol.. any way around ducts? like small fan in one of the holes?

im using led so i dont think it would get that hot in there i just need to wash out the air?

OfflineDirtygoat
Bread

Re: Indoor grow tent standing air [Re: Dirtygoat]
    #777987 - 05/06/15 10:49 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

I mainly bought it thinking I could just hold all the light in cuz so bright lol.. i thought it would be like a portable closet..?

OfflineMrshroom
Stranger

#777990 - 05/06/15 11:53 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

ok this is why u need a inline fan. the led light has fans to help bring in air to cool the device but when the cool air goes threw the led i pulls the heat out and that goes back into the tent. so all you are doing is moving the heat from the led light into the air in the grow tent wich will heat the tent up to a point were it will be too hot for the plants. So with a inline fan and get a carbon filter and hang it in the upper part of the tent to pull as much hot air out as possible and then leave a bottom zipper open at the bottom of the tent so it ill pull cold air from the bottom threw the bottom and then the negitive air pressure from the top pulling air will pull the cold air up to help keep the plants from over heating.

that will also help keep humidity from building up on the bottom of the plants and causing mold from growing. also get a fan regulator so u can turn the fan speed down if its to powerfull.

to figure out what size fan and carbon filter you will need . you take
length x width x height that will give you your CFM  of the grow tent then times that by 3. becaue you shoudl be replacing the air of the tent that many times per a min to keep propper levels of co2 fresh in the tent for your girls to feed off of. but it will also help you keep your heat alot better under control an humidity

OfflineDirtygoat
Bread

Re: Indoor grow tent standing air [Re: Mrshroom]
    #777998 - 05/07/15 07:08 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Tyvm, very informational

I also read about some co2 pads that just keep giving off co2, is this the carbon filter or should I go research what that is lol.

Ty, I will try to do how you said and work it out. I am just glad to hear that I have choices and didn't raise my hopes with a nice tent for nothing lol. Im confident I can make this work

OfflineMrshroom
Stranger

#777999 - 05/07/15 07:15 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Co2 pads release co2 they have to be replace but is also point less because u will be venting and pull out that co2 ..so u will be throwing money away when the fans suck out air. ..so there a wast of money.  Carbon filters is a air filtr to remove smell from the air that your pulling out of the tent that goes out side.

OfflineDirtygoat
Bread

Re: Indoor grow tent standing air [Re: Mrshroom]
    #778544 - 05/12/15 09:13 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Hey, I didn't want to make a new thread for the same topic, I hope someone will come back to it lol

So I think I will need to make ducts, I tried to see how the lights were if I just left them on with the tent open, and the temps got to like 90+F so I wouldn't want to leave that alone without me around cuz I'm sure it would get hotter with the plants

I have a cool spot:

I was wondering if I could just use the ac? Lol like make a duct attached? But would it make it too cold?

Otherwise I would just buy that regular fan and some ducts, going right out into that cardboard... So, It's supposed to suck out the air right? Not blow it through from the other side?
Lol if someone could give me the names of the ?duct fans? So I can just go to Home Depot and try to buy them

InvisibleKarmikal
The Engineer

Loc: Spaceship Factory
    #778570 - 05/13/15 01:10 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Dirtygoat said:
I mainly bought it thinking I could just hold all the light in cuz so bright lol.. i thought it would be like a portable closet..?

Keeping the light in is a good idea if you don't want folks to wonder why their neighbor's window is bright pink at 3:00 am every morning, or you don't want some ne'er do well to rob you cause he saw your grow op from the street/party next door etc...

More importantly though is keeping the light out, unless you lock up the room and blackout the window(s) you will have a hard time flowering your plants with random light cycle interruptions.  It is generally easier to buy a tent that is lightproof than to lightproof your bedroom unless it is a dedicated grow room, but that's a whole nother ball of wax with a lot more possibilities...

So you have the basic need for an uninterrupted light cycle met with your tent, you can check that one off your list.

You have an LED grow light - that satisfies the basic need for light, check.

You should address the basic need for O2 and CO2 by providing the enclosed tent environment with fresh air and plenty of it.  I can understand not wanting to get an expensive blower/carbon filter system but you can meet your basic need for fresh air with a cheaper duct booster fan and some flexible duct of matching diameter so that you can make a light trap for the intake and exhaust.  Many tents have sleeves attached to the ports to make it easier to add ducting/fans but I don't see that with yours.  You may need to get a little innovative with some DIY to make it work or find some duct flanges in the HVAC section at the hardware store along with the other items in boldface.  You should always try to keep air pressure in the tent slightly negative so you should pull air out not push air in. 

You can regulate the temps in your tent easily by running the exhaust fan continuously and adjusting the ambient temperature of the room the tent is pulling air from by adjusting the AC in the window of said room.  I doubt you will have much of a heat issue from the led light as long as you run your exhaust fan.  Also, adding a silica boosting product to your soil or nutrient mix will benefit your plants in a hot environment but I really don't think you will need to worry about it unless your room's ambient temps are just kept really high.

You also would want to regulate humidity in the tent by regulating it in the room the tent is in.  This typically depends on your geographical location or season but you should get a basic hygrometer to monitor your ambient humidity levels before you worry too much about regulating it. 

The plants you want to grow are usually pretty hardy - you may just want start growing some and see how your plants respond to their environment once you have taken care of the basics.  In most cases, an ideal set of environmental and nutritional parameters could and should actually be "dialed in" to a particular specimen's requirements while you grow it.

--------------------
Opinions WILL vary!

This is all just an internet fantasy, ruse, delusion, fabrication etc...

OfflineDirtygoat
Bread

Re: Indoor grow tent standing air [Re: Karmikal]
    #778609 - 05/13/15 10:14 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Thank you!

My tent does have a sleeve, but it is at the top of the tent, the holes around the side only have flaps with Velcro.

Do you think I should have the fan attached to the top hole with the sleeve? Or on the side directly by the window?

I don't really need to worry about the smell so would it still be necessary to have the carbon filter? The only thing is the ducts going outside will be a small hole in my window of pink light lol so thats what I'm thinking the filter could help with?

OfflineDirtygoat
Bread

#778610 - 05/13/15 10:23 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Also, do you think it would be better and maybe more cost effective to go to a hydroponics store to try to get these ducting supplies? (If they even have them) or with my smaller knowledge, go to Home Depot to save a few bucks?

InvisibleKarmikal
The Engineer

Loc: Spaceship Factory
    #778619 - 05/13/15 11:57 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

I doubt your hydro store will have duct boosters - they will certainly have blowers though and expensive.  I know my hydro store doesn't sell them because they are a low margin item that you can get elsewhere cheaper.  I would use the top port with sleeve for the exhaust fan and just cover up the other.  use a bottom one for passive intake.  You could use a filter to trap light or something else if you aren't worried about smell i suppose

--------------------
Opinions WILL vary!

This is all just an internet fantasy, ruse, delusion, fabrication etc...

OfflineDirtygoat
Bread

Re: Indoor grow tent standing air [Re: Karmikal]
    #778679 - 05/13/15 08:04 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Turns out my hydroponics had all I needed. I'm sure I could have saved money but at least I was talking to someone who new exactly what is going on haha. ~120 for the fan and ducts

I have another question(s) haha.

Got the fan, got the duct.. Does the exhaust fan have to be inside the tent or can I just leave it out and attach the duct to sleeve?
Also is there any home made method anyone might know of lowering the speed of the fan? They had some outlet thing but I bet it cost a lot

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #778712 - 05/14/15 01:55 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Its better to have the ducting on the exhaust side and blow the air through, not try to suck it through. That puts more strain on the fan.

Its best to get a fan speed control for around $20. You can build your own for about the same price in parts.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck