Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Boomr Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinegizmo420
Stranger
advice for newbie, please help *Update* Temp setup
    #778066 - 05/08/15 01:14 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Hey guys!  I got some wonderful advice and reply's from y'all the other day, and its comforting to know that help is right around the corner; so thanks in advance.
So here's the deal I read something about coco coir being a good growth medium for my seedlings I have no clue what to do with my bricks of Coco coir. I bought the coir from Petco for the purpose of a bulk grow for mushrooms after doing the PFtek but never got around to bulk. So how could I use the husk to my advantage? I have the seedlings as is in miniature plastic solo cups with a hole for drainage at the bottom in just rich outdoor soil I collected. I'm unsure of when I need to place them in a larger container as a couple of the seedlings are now 3 to 4 weeks old.  There was some intense stretching y'all pointed out to me due to inappropriate lighting.  I still haven't been able to scrape the money for CFL lighting so I just added a lot more bulbs and the stretching stopped. All that will change this coming Tuesday when I get paid I'm going to get all the things y'all recommended and am going to take pics so you guys can literally see and help me set my shit up to the T.

So coco coir what to do to maintain a healthy plant? After using it what else needs to happen? I heard that not as many Nutes are needed because the coir has them already.  Mainly just keeping the ph right would be the primary focal point. Throw me your knowledge so that I may be wise like you men!

--------------------
Wake&bake

Edited by gizmo420 (05/08/15 10:55 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinegizmo420
Stranger
Re: advice for newbie, please help [Re: gizmo420]
    #778067 - 05/08/15 01:41 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Here is my set up guys!

--------------------
Wake&bake

Invisibleoeric mckenna
Pure Indica

Loc: Mars
    #778074 - 05/08/15 04:39 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah.... rehydrate the coir, pack it into containers, and put your plants in...
Its that simple.
You shouldn't have brought soil from outdoors into your house tho man...
Its a really bad idea

--------------------
***Handing someone your life's work....in a single seed = :laugh: ***

HIGHER THAN A GEORGIA PINE

Oeric's Winter Grow Projects

OfflineH J Farnsworth
Stranger
Male

Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: advice for newbie, please help [Re: oeric mckenna]
    #778076 - 05/08/15 05:45 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

What type of bulbs are those? You can buy led bulbs that'll fit those lamps and I think they'll work better. It's like $12 for a daylight spectrum bulb

Edit: the outdoors has bugs that lay eggs in soil and when you bring it in the eggs hatch and now you've got bugs

--------------------
Officially a Colorado medical marihuana patient

Edited by H J Farnsworth (05/08/15 05:47 AM)

Offlinegizmo420
Stranger
Re: advice for newbie, please help [Re: H J Farnsworth]
    #778079 - 05/08/15 06:03 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Wow I didn't really think about that lol. And right now it's just a few 100w. Bulbs but Tuesday I get pairs and I'm going get everything I need
I hate bugs so I'm going to go ahead and use the Coco. Thanks guys for the info I'll keep y'all up to date during the day today and if I have any more questions I'll hit you guys up here.  Thanks again!

--------------------
Wake&bake

OfflineGoonerHeClips
Stranger

#778087 - 05/08/15 09:00 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

gizmo420 said:
Wow I didn't really think about that lol. And right now it's just a few 100w. Bulbs but Tuesday I get pairs and I'm going get everything I need
I hate bugs so I'm going to go ahead and use the Coco. Thanks guys for the info I'll keep y'all up to date during the day today and if I have any more questions I'll hit you guys up here.  Thanks again!

OK, here's a few things about coco.  It's actually just the opposite of what you think, there are virtually zero nutrients in coco.  So, it's critical that you add nutrients each and every time with each watering.  You should never add just water to coco, or alternate between watering and feeding.  Better to lower your nutes than to have to flush.  With coco you normally overwater (always with nutes!) a bit, so that you get maybe 10-15% runoff of the volume you water with.

Canna is by far the leader for growing in coco.  They provide the best coco, and the best nutrients for coco.  But you really need to consider that coco is really like hydroponics, and right now you are kind of into soil growing.  So maybe just transplant into other soil like Fox Farms or Black Gold, and keep it simple.

For example, pH of your nutes solution needs to be maybe 5.8 for coco, but maybe 6.5-6.7 for soil growing.  Quite a difference.  Watering in soil, no problem, in coco, big problem.

Offlinegizmo420
Stranger
Re: advice for newbie, please help [Re: GoonerHeClips]
    #778142 - 05/08/15 05:26 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Dude thanks! Love the Growery! You guys are very knowledgeable about horticulture and it's been a huge help that I couldn't have accomplished anywhere else! 

You made up my noob mind and I will most certainly not be using coco coir. Stick around for a few days from now I will be taking pics of my supplies y'all suggested as a whole and pictures of the grow area and y'all can help me make a better grow setup and it will be successful and OUR grow!  I'm super excited! You guys rock! :rockon:

--------------------
Wake&bake

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: advice for newbie, please help [Re: gizmo420] * 1
    #778165 - 05/08/15 10:00 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

You're new forget the coco. Go with a soil that has a good rating and use a fert called Pure Blend Pro.

The reason is that it is a killer plant food and if you use to much since it's made from processed bat guano and kelps it won't burn your plants even if you use to much. With low light gardens it's easy to overfeed cause the plants don't get the energy to process food like they would under sun or HID lighting so don't start at the level the directions tell you to. (Ha people I caught you didn't I, you haven't been thinking about that one) Plus a lot of noobs can't wait to feed and water and end up killing their plant with to much love:heartpump:. In fact that is the most common way for plants to die for people new to growing. :wink:

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinegizmo420
Stranger
Re: advice for newbie, please help [Re: Magash]
    #778166 - 05/08/15 10:17 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Mind blown lol thanks man good eye!  So where can I order it from
Quote:

Magash said:
You're new forget the coco. Go with a soil that has a good rating and use a fert called Pure Blend Pro.

The reason is that it is a killer plant food and if you use to much since it's made from processed bat guano and kelps it won't burn your plants even if you use to much. With low light gardens it's easy to overfeed cause the plants don't get the energy to process food like they would under sun or HID lighting so don't start at the level the directions tell you to. (Ha people I caught you didn't I, you haven't been thinking about that one) Plus a lot of noobs can't wait to feed and water and end up killing their plant with to much love:heartpump:. In fact that is the most common way for plants to die for people new to growing. :wink:

--------------------
Wake&bake

Offlinegizmo420
Stranger
    #778168 - 05/08/15 10:32 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

This is my new temp set up!

--------------------
Wake&bake

Offlinegizmo420
Stranger
    #778169 - 05/08/15 10:52 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

More pics.

--------------------
Wake&bake

Offlinecheezymold
That Guy

#778172 - 05/08/15 11:37 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

you gotta get rid of those bulbs lol.  Home depot at the very least you should get something like this.  I'm sure you have this much change laying around.

Offlinegizmo420
Stranger
Re: advice for newbie, please help [Re: cheezymold]
    #778176 - 05/09/15 12:56 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Lol yeah I know cheezy I'm getting new lights and soil tomorrow! Lol but hey first time grow, I knew it was gunna be a learning experience but with yalls help I'll be growing like a prow in no time... :wink: thanks again!

Quote:

cheezymold said:
you gotta get rid of those bulbs lol.  Home depot at the very least you should get something like this.  I'm sure you have this much change laying around.

--------------------
Wake&bake

OfflineH J Farnsworth
Stranger
Male

Loc: Colorado Flag
    #778179 - 05/09/15 05:05 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

This is what I keep mine in until it's time to go outside (which they have)  it's just a red tub with an 11 watt daylight led, it puts out 1200 lumens. I've experimented with 2 or 3 bulbs shining in the same box and it improves growth a lot but still one bulb will do really well. And there's no heat I had a plant grow right up to the bulb ( or maybe the bulb dropped down and began resting on the plant) didn't get burnt at all. Just don't use these to flower cause they cause wispy nugs

One box cost me $35 minus plant costs

--------------------
Officially a Colorado medical marihuana patient

Edited by H J Farnsworth (05/09/15 05:06 AM)

Offlinegizmo420
Stranger
Re: advice for newbie, please help [Re: H J Farnsworth]
    #778188 - 05/09/15 10:29 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Damn dude those are pretty lol.  I have a tube but not the lid I'd have to get another one.
We're getting good lighting today and a few other things. I won't be home though till tomorrow night so my buddy is gunna watch my plants for me till I get back.

--------------------
Wake&bake

OfflineMrshroom
Stranger

#778196 - 05/09/15 11:51 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

gizmo420 said:
Mind blown lol thanks man good eye!  So where can I order it from
Quote:

Magash said:

oh and by the way if your transplant into something liek fox farm that has nuits in it you wont need to feed your plants for a good 4 weeks or so. But i cwoudl recommend to go with fox farm ocean forest it is really good soil. some times i found it to be a little too hot for seedlings but with your already prestarted you should be fine.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Boomr Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate