Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSmokeSomeHash
Littlest pee pee on da block
 User Gallery

Loc: murica Flag
Re: LED Lights - Need Advice on Which to Buy and How to Use [Re: phychotron]
    #743107 - 08/06/14 08:06 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Phycho i want your 2 cents...

as far as ive read i hear that leds give great quality but small yield. Then i read someone put a kind led on a lightrail and saw phenomenal results i guess cuz they overcame the tiny footprint of light.

Whats your exp with leds on light rails?

also, what about that California lightworks brand with the UV bulbs on the side and switch to go from veg to bloom? Cant UV be dangerous? And is that even a good brand?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: LED Lights - Need Advice on Which to Buy and How to Use [Re: SmokeSomeHash]
    #743120 - 08/07/14 12:21 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I've wanted to experiment with a light rail but don't have the time to mess around. I'm sure it would help with area coverage, and allow you to get the lights even closer.

I'm not too sold on the uv bulbs on the side, kinda nice idea but seems like its not needed. Haven't tried it so I can't really comment, but people seem to like them. UV is suppose to possibly help with resin development, suppose to simulate that high altitude environment that indica comes from.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

#743125 - 08/07/14 04:35 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

light rails make a lot of sense, but I feel like someone should invent something simpler and cheaper that doesn't require a wall socket. At least I'm picturing a central pivot point that uses pendulum momentum or magnets to move it it slightly. There were a ton of those self moving things they had in the 80s that could be a basis for this hypothetical technology. Even just a battery could power the right design.

perpetual motion advances ftw

Edit: the first video didn't want to be seen outside of youtube for some strange reason

Edited by Midgetpawn (08/07/14 04:40 AM)

OfflineSmokeSomeHash
 User Gallery

Re: LED Lights - Need Advice on Which to Buy and How to Use [Re: Midgetpawn]
    #743139 - 08/07/14 08:13 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Well what about the brand california lightworks in general? They make some small units without the UV. I think a 220 and a 440 watt but im too lazy to check right now cuz im on my phone.

ive heard very few good reviews and they are expensive

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #743201 - 08/07/14 03:11 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I personally wouldn't get a CLW fixture just yet, but I could see them working well. I don't think the smaller fixtures are worth it, but it really depends on your grow area and style on some of these lights, I like the size/style fixture I'm using.  Sometimes you need to buy a brand/LED for a specific application. Keep the small fixtures for the small grows. Having 10 small fixtures in a tent is a pain in the ass.

Mostly everything is going modular so I would recommend sticking with one of those models for the time being so that it is sustainable in the future. I don't think I've heard anything negative about CLW.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineSmokeSomeHash
 User Gallery

#743207 - 08/07/14 04:15 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

What do you mean by modular

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #743209 - 08/07/14 04:40 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

When one LED goes out everything on that circuit goes out, so if they are all on one board end to end and one goes out, your kinda fucked. If they are in small groups of LED', a module, you can easily replace just that one module instead of trying to fix the entire circuit board.

The one in the back in modular.

--------------------

OfflineSmokeSomeHash
 User Gallery

#743274 - 08/08/14 07:34 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Oh ok cool thanks for the info!

i havent heard bad reviews about CLW either but theyre pricey...what kind are you using in those pics?

--------------------

InvisibleJollyGreenJRayV
Mister
Male
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: North America
    #743293 - 08/08/14 09:32 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

You want brand name LED's with lenses to focus the light.

I recommend Area 51 or Advanced LED. They're definitely worth the money.

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

Re: LED Lights - Need Advice on Which to Buy and How to Use [Re: JollyGreenJRayV]
    #743371 - 08/08/14 06:45 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

wait... LEDs all go out if 1 goes out like pre 1990's strings of Christmas lights? That's weird...
If you're genuinely interested in LEDs make sure to spend a little time reading articles about things like Droop and the shorter lifespan of specific colors, especially in high temperatures. Also supposedly LEDs operate something like 30% brighter in the cold. I'm uncomfortable with how you need a different diode for each nanometer of color with LEDs. Though I certainly wouldn't turn down a free LED grow light.
I'd really like to see the results of Induction grow lights. Supposed to use 70% less power use than HID and the color spectrum seems good. Though induction lighting has been around for a long time, and there might be a reason it's not used more, besides Edison being a strong competitor of Tesla, who invented the technology. Tesla wanted to give the world free power. Too bad he didn't succeed.

InvisibleJollyGreenJRayV
Mister
Male
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: North America
Re: LED Lights - Need Advice on Which to Buy and How to Use [Re: Midgetpawn]
    #743380 - 08/08/14 07:42 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

I'm uncomfortable with how you need a different diode for each nanometer of color with LEDs

http://www.onyxgrow.com/bloom.html

http://a51led.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=181

Cree whites have been doing some amazing things!

The new high-end units are all using either  W, R/W, or R/W/B configurations. So it's no more than 1, 2, or 3 different diode types being used.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: LED Lights - Need Advice on Which to Buy and How to Use [Re: JollyGreenJRayV]
    #743396 - 08/08/14 09:55 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

If one led in a series goes out ya, the whole series goes out. There are multiple circuits on most fixtures so you only loose a portion of those diodes. The solution is to just jump/replace it with a resistor, or short it and add a resister in the circuit, but its simpler to just to swap out the module of 10-15 diodes and call it a day.

They do operate better at lower temperatures, which is why its essential to have a large enough heat sink to allow it to run in its proper range.

just because you don't see the individual colors with your eyes, this is really what an HPS gives off. The colored lines show the peaks, the black parts show the missing wavelengths. Your eyes/brain combine that particular combination to create that yellow-orange color you perceive.

With LED they still don't have that perfect PAR light diode, they have white, but it turns out they're are gaps just the same. SO they supplement blue and red with the newer white diodes. That's where LED's excel, they can add the necessary light to mimic that perfect PAR curve so that no excess light is used and the primary colors are peaking. You cannot get the perfect PAR spectrum out of sodium alone, you'd need to add something else, like you see in those MH/HPS hybrid bulbs to cover the missing spectrum.

How spectrometry works.

--------------------

Edited by phychotron (08/08/14 09:56 PM)

OfflineMof
Male

#776434 - 04/18/15 01:08 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

I have a sprout and the XTE 300 series
the thing is big almost didn't have enough room for it

Which lighting knob should I turn up?

I have blue on all the way and I click red on for uv/infrared

trying to keep this thing alive so i dont' have to start over lol
just got this light yestarday and was using a cfl that looked like it had painted violet on it

Edited by Mof (04/18/15 01:08 PM)

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: LED Lights - Need Advice on Which to Buy and How to Use [Re: Mof]
    #776444 - 04/18/15 03:34 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

if its small it will only need a little light half power would do well, the blue is best for veg, but switch it to full power when its taller (8-12").

--------------------

InvisibleCrushNazT
Male

Loc: Colorado Flag
    #777026 - 04/25/15 04:17 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

what do you guys think about lush lighting? i've been thinking about picking up a dominator for a 5x5 tent.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: LED Lights - Need Advice on Which to Buy and How to Use [Re: CrushNazT]
    #777031 - 04/25/15 06:54 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Lush is an overpriced company that advertises in 420 magazines and has to make more cash to pay for that. Their lights are basically the Diamond Series from Advanced LED but without any pattern to the diodes. They make extraordinary claims about how it helps these two aspects of plant growth, but its stuff that is only found in algae.

Lush is a joke for those kids who read high times and couldn't figure things out for themselves. They lie about their area coverage and I called them out on their shit on the ICMAG led forums and they just try and say 'we know its strange but our rectangular fixture produces a square footprint.'-- Complete utter bullshit.

They have still not addressed the question about their algae-related light benefits since it would prove they just made that shit up.  Also, that bitch told me that the fixture case design they've been selling for about a year(~2013) was stolen by Advanced LED. Advanced has been selling the DS since 2011.  LIES LIES LIES!

Moreover, the most important part is that their lights are non-modular so they when they need any repair you'll need to send it in, and pay for electronics repair when it's off warrant. Also, its  produced by eShine, the company that Advanced LED stopped getting lights from because of quality issues.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THEIR COMPANY.

I just got an Advanced LED XML 650 for $1435. Its pretty sick, only on the first week but definitely going to be better than the Diamond Series style.  Its modular so I can fix it, but also has a lifetime warranty and they will send you parts and diodes for as long as they are in business.

--------------------

InvisibleCrushNazT
Male

Loc: Colorado Flag
    #777033 - 04/25/15 07:24 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

how about kind LED? any thoughts on those?

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: LED Lights - Need Advice on Which to Buy and How to Use [Re: CrushNazT]
    #777063 - 04/26/15 03:06 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

They're just another generic. I'd say they're probably the same as GrowBlu (same case and design but different color). I just sold my GrowBlu so I could get the XML 650.

http://advancedledlights.com/xml-350-vs-kind-l600/

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies