Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetommyg615
snoooper
hollandstar leds, help or hindrance?
    #770341 - 02/27/15 03:47 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

hello all
some may recognize me from shroomery, others will see me as a new face,
but today i have a question about l.e.ds, more specifically hollandstars 300 and 320 watt products http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_11?url=search-alias%3Dlighting&field-keywords=hollandstar&sprefix=hollandstar%2Caps%2C309(i belive there from canada).
i have ordered theese products despite the huge delivery waiting time, they cost £99 for the 300watt and £120 for the 320watt,a fraction of the price of others. i plan on using them to boost flowering plants,maby on the side walls(perhaps you could imput here). they will be under a 600watt hps aswell as with leds ive read to ''go all out, or go home'' so i didnt want to rely entirly on them during flowering.
has anyone used this brand or any of the 2 products?
have i got the right idea using to boost flowering or would they be better elsewhere?
have i just wasted £200

--------------------
just ask frank

"he who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: hollandstar leds, help or hindrance? [Re: tommyg615]
    #770353 - 02/27/15 06:59 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Those are about as low quality as you can get--generic Chinese reseller. The slow shipping is because the seller has nothing to do with the lights except take the order and it will ship directly out of china. Its not a brand, but the username of the seller on Amazon that they're trying to play off as a brand. You can expect the absolute lowest performance out of an LED grow light.

Those are definitely not going to flower cannabis well on its own, but should do well as supplemental lighting. Those will actually use about half the watts they say (its advertising bullshit) and I would not recommend on continuing to buy them, as they are not modular they are going to be hard/impossible to repair.

I would guess those fixtures will cover a 2x2 area but will need to be pretty close to the plants to be effective, within a few inches or touching might be possible if they're not that hot. Side walls or 45 degree angles on the ends will work, gotta see what your plants like.

If you want to flower with just LED and get the best results possible you need to get a higher end fixture. I'm a fan of Advanced LED's lights, especially with the newest one's that have come out look very promising. Customer service is excellent, and they just started offering a lifetime warranty on their lights, sending you parts for as long as they are in business.

The good news is that not all is lost, those will make excellent veg lights.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Offlinetommyg615
snoooper

Re: hollandstar leds, help or hindrance? [Re: phychotron]
    #770355 - 02/27/15 07:28 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

thanks for the reply man, i guessed they were not going to flower cannabis well on there own, but thort they should do well as supplemental lighting adding light with little heat to the bottom of the plants. ill be honest i had read most leds use about half the watts they say (advertising bullshit), being honest ill have to search modular as i have never delved into the led world till now, kinda always thort it was reserved for space men, and men of the future, i forget we are in yesterdays future

when you say the fixtures will cover a 2x2 area, do you mean on there own (the 2 led panels) or with the 600hps i had mentioned, as that certainly would scale back what i had planned

I will certainly check out Advanced LED's lights for my next grow or when i upgrade, prob pretty soon

im currently in possession of a 125watt cfl, a 600 hps and will have the 2 shitty leds(when they arrive), how would YOU use the above lighting to your benefit?

also just if your interested it will all be used to grow(hopefully) 10 different variety's of kush which i will be choosing my overall favorites to mother and possible breed in the future (keeping journals to upload at a later date)

--------------------
just ask frank

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #770655 - 03/02/15 12:44 AM (9 years, 29 days ago)

I didn't see the 600w in there, I think I got lost in the formatting of the post. I say 2x2 (4 sq-ft) on their own, but if you did two you could expand to a bit more sq-ft for a little bit of overlap in between. Like I was saying in the other thread, I'd use the LED's for veg, as they should do well with that phase growth. They would boost in flower but you'd probably be fine unless your trying to cover too large of an area.

You could try flowering under the LED's just to see what they can do on their own. Sometimes those generics can do alright, but no where near top quality. The problem with the generics is that after 12-18 inches its not enough to flower fully so you tend to need them very close, cutting their area coverage down to about 2x2" and having the buds nearly touch the fixture. They can because the lower power diodes don't have an effect on the buds like light bleaching or burning.

Keeping a journal is really helpful in the long run, these message boards let you have your own journal to post in, and this site makes it easy as hell to upload and copy/paste photos. If you look above my avatar you'll see a little book icon that links to mine.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Offlinetommyg615
snoooper

#770677 - 03/02/15 09:06 AM (9 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

phychotron said:
I didn't see the 600w in there, I think I got lost in the formatting of the post. I say 2x2 (4 sq-ft) on their own, but if you did two you could expand to a bit more sq-ft for a little bit of overlap in between. Like I was saying in the other thread, I'd use the LED's for veg, as they should do well with that phase growth. They would boost in flower but you'd probably be fine unless your trying to cover too large of an area.

You could try flowering under the LED's just to see what they can do on their own. Sometimes those generics can do alright, but no where near top quality. The problem with the generics is that after 12-18 inches its not enough to flower fully so you tend to need them very close, cutting their area coverage down to about 2x2" and having the buds nearly touch the fixture. They can because the lower power diodes don't have an effect on the buds like light bleaching or burning.

Keeping a journal is really helpful in the long run, these message boards let you have your own journal to post in, and this site makes it easy as hell to upload and copy/paste photos. If you look above my avatar you'll see a little book icon that links to mine.

thanks man this is exactly what i needed to hear, ive started a journal but wasnt going to upload untill i had completely finished, due to constant paranoia i seem to have.
maby ill start it now, may be a good way of getting a bunch of my questions answered pretty easily.
ill be making a brew, spliff and ill have a good look at your journal, its amazing what you learn off members both on this site and its sister site, so much so im gunna become a supporter i think, i think ive lernt  alot from these sites and its time to give back

--------------------
just ask frank

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #770690 - 03/02/15 10:34 AM (9 years, 29 days ago)

Awesome. The hard part with doing a log at the end is getting it all straight, or finding the motivation to upload --lots of photos, lots of text, multiplied by ten strains. As your posting the stuff over the course of 2-3 months you get feedback on what your doing and it will make you think about what your doing a bit more. Your Journal will be a lot less viewed (probably only when you tell people about it) but will be a great way to collect info on all your adventures.

--------------------

Offlinetommyg615
snoooper

#770700 - 03/02/15 12:06 PM (9 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

phychotron said:
Awesome. The hard part with doing a log at the end is getting it all straight, or finding the motivation to upload --lots of photos, lots of text, multiplied by ten strains. As your posting the stuff over the course of 2-3 months you get feedback on what your doing and it will make you think about what your doing a bit more. Your Journal will be a lot less viewed (probably only when you tell people about it) but will be a great way to collect info on all your adventures.

youve convinced me :smile:
my journal is up

--------------------
just ask frank

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies