Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCerveau
 User Gallery

Diamond LED 100w
    #645751 - 11/13/12 02:21 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I'm not growing anything big, simple hydroponics bucket, drip feed, Fox Farm, blah blah blah.

The reason I'm going with LEDs and not metal halides/HPS is because my closet isn't terribly big, I most certainly don't have the room for a ballast and hood. Heat would be an issue especially during the summer time. And I really don't want to hear my gf's bitching about the electric bill.

What's everyone's take on this light? I'm reading reviews about how LEDs can't compete with HPS but a lot of them date back to 2009.

If you can point me in the right direction I would surely appreciate it. I'm not new to growing, this is in fact my third indoor grow, I've done many, just my first with LEDs.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Diamond LED 100w [Re: Cerveau]
    #645752 - 11/13/12 02:22 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Phycotron will help you out.  He's very knowledgeable when it comes to this stuff.  I don't know LED well enough to help.  Sorry dude.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineCerveau
 User Gallery

Re: Diamond LED 100w [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #645753 - 11/13/12 02:24 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

The site's community has seemed to change a lot since the last time I used it. For the better too.

I'll keep an eye out. Thanks for the heads up.

Does this still work? :cerveau:

Wow, it fucking does. Too bad Shroomery turned into something I'd rather not be a part of...

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Diamond LED 100w [Re: Cerveau]
    #645754 - 11/13/12 02:35 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Then welcome to the club mang :cookiemonster:

Were definitely not the boomery.  Wish the traffic was a it more.  But hopefully that will come with time. 

Stick around,socialize, you'll enjoy it. :likeaboss:

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Diamond LED 100w [Re: Cerveau] * 1
    #645762 - 11/13/12 03:13 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I am a fan of Advanced LED's Diamond series, but be aware that there are cheap imitators of the Diamond series out there(ebay, amazon,etc). My brother has a bunch of 100w DS's that do well for veg, but looks like it would be tough to get any decent amount of bud without tricking out everything else. I've never seen them outside of veg-- I don't know how they could do by themselves. So my advise is that you should get two of them and spread the light out, or the 200w model. That would give you the some flower power and a few oz's every couple of months. I suggest either 1 large topped/trained plant or multiple small plants.

LED has improved in the last year but still gets a bad rap because people continue to buy cheap Chinese fixtures. When you cut corners on your LED you cut out speed and size of the buds. I have a 400w DS that the buds do much better under than the cheaper Blackstar fixtures I have.  LED can produce large dense buds but you need to get one's that are built to grow bud. The marketing in the LED grow light industry is some of the sleaziest, making it hard to find a decent light.

How big of an area are you planning on using? I'm thinking 2.5x2.5 or so. The watts/area is more concentrated as you go up from 100 to 300w, meaning that you get more light per area. The 100w is 20w/Sq-ft vs the 300 @ 30w/Sq-ft calculated using average-draw/core-coverage-area. Which means the 300w would be the brightest choice for a small square. But if you have height issues it might be too bright, needing 18-30" clearance from the plants.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineCerveau
 User Gallery

Re: Diamond LED 100w [Re: phychotron]
    #645769 - 11/13/12 03:56 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

well I already bought the 100w LED, I had read some old threads from 2009 totally shitting on LED lights and got nervous which was why I came here.

Height is not an issue as heat and electricity consumption is. I don't want anything great, I essentially just want to be able to smoke for little to nothing once every few months.

Considering that's all I expect I'm fine right?

Edit: This is the one I picked up Diamond Series LEDs - Extreme 3w LED Technology 100w

Edited by Cerveau (11/13/12 03:57 PM)

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #645831 - 11/13/12 10:29 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

ya, you should be fine if you just need a little bit of smoke. The fixture shouldn't put off too much heat, but anything in a sealed area can become problematic after awhile.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

InvisibleGBurger717
Let me be me! I luv me some me!
Male

Loc: USA, East of Mississippi Flag
    #645948 - 11/14/12 09:07 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I hope this is not a stupid question but can you use just the DS 3w extreme for both flower and veg? I see they sell the blue one for veg? or do you use both at the same time?

--------------------
"If only one party supports a bill, it's probably not a very good bill. If both parties support it, you can be sure that however good it seems on the surface, under the covers it's worse than you could possibly imagine" - Me myself and I 08-02-12

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty - Jefferson

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Jefferson

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Diamond LED 100w [Re: GBurger717] * 1
    #645966 - 11/15/12 12:20 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Should be fine. There is two switches on them, you can use the bluer half for veg if you want.  I would see how that works, and then try with both to see the difference it makes. The all blue is made specifically for veg, but the DS should be fine for both.

My veg area is under construction at the moment, using mainly a T5 4x4 and an LED--depending on how many plants I'm vegging. Plants tend to veg pretty well under LED, and this is where those 90w to 400w comparisons come in; they're referring to leafy greens like lettuce. Flower power is completely different.

--------------------

OfflineCerveau
 User Gallery

#649208 - 12/03/12 07:23 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Say hello to my girls (hopefully). I named one Danica Patrick. I don't have a name for the one on the right yet though. Help me name her.

Psychotron, what do you think so far?

P.S. I have it on full spectrum because 100w isn't that much of a power draw.

Edit: The thing in the middle is my Chia Cat. I'm growing cat grass for my children (yes, I am a crazy cat person).

Edited by Cerveau (12/03/12 07:25 AM)

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #649226 - 12/03/12 10:21 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Looks good, I'd like to see what just the one can do. How long do you plan on vegging them? what about any training? and what types of plants are those, indica, sativa?

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #649232 - 12/03/12 10:45 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I forgot to mention that a lot of people will just use the blue half at first, out of fear of giving it too much light. The light is very intense directly under it, so it might be something to look out for. You could just move the light up, but might as well save the electricity.

--------------------

OfflineCerveau
 User Gallery

#649241 - 12/03/12 11:46 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

phychotron said:
Looks good, I'd like to see what just the one can do. How long do you plan on vegging them? what about any training? and what types of plants are those, indica, sativa?

I'm going to follow the Fox Farm hydro feeding schedule. They're indicas for sure. I'm considering giving it just the blue at first, it looks as though there are already burn marks but I also left the light on for 24 hours because I bumped the timer during set up.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #649289 - 12/03/12 05:34 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I'm pretty sure it says to hang them at least 30" above seedlings and new clones. The light can be pretty intense. Even buds need to be 18" away to avoid bleaching.

--------------------

OfflineTexasJames
Stranger
    #673492 - 06/03/13 09:54 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Hello. Im new to the forums and quite new to cultivation. I have been doing research and like most people I find the waters a little muddy on finding information on leds. Here is my question. In growing say 4 plants for personal consumption in the future when I move to colorodo, Would it be feasible to use a 100w 3w led flanked on each side by 2 cfls. Both money and heat are issues for me. For my back pain I am not looking for mega yields, just enough to get by, but i would like quality. This diagram may describe how i would like to set it up. Using words here so bear with me.

(CFL)  (CFL)
                            [LED]
                        (CFL)  (CFL)

Any thoughts on this idea would be awesome, Thanks Bro.

InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Diamond LED 100w [Re: TexasJames]
    #673497 - 06/03/13 10:54 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Cheap LEDs are not worth the money from what I hear.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Diamond LED 100w [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #673500 - 06/03/13 11:24 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Like dead said, skimping on money, especially when it comes to LEDs, will result in poor results. 

If money is an issue, go with a low wattage HID.  Like 200 or so.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Diamond LED 100w [Re: TexasJames] * 1
    #673657 - 06/05/13 08:04 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

TexasJames said:
Hello. Im new to the forums and quite new to cultivation. I have been doing research and like most people I find the waters a little muddy on finding information on leds. Here is my question. In growing say 4 plants for personal consumption in the future when I move to colorodo, Would it be feasible to use a 100w 3w led flanked on each side by 2 cfls. Both money and heat are issues for me. For my back pain I am not looking for mega yields, just enough to get by, but i would like quality. This diagram may describe how i would like to set it up. Using words here so bear with me.

(CFL)  (CFL)
                            [LED]
                        (CFL)  (CFL)

Any thoughts on this idea would be awesome, Thanks Bro.

You could do that for a very small micro grow, but the plants will not be very productive, probably stretch a lot as well. Very few LED dealers actually sell good stuff, gotta look around and see whats getting good reviews, like the DS is one of my favorites.  I would recommend the Advanced DS200 or XML-150 (both $549) as smallest LED light, 100w is still on the small side--almost the same area coverage but more light in the area. Then you'd be able to probably ditch those CFL's all together.

You still can have heat issues if your in a small area without ventilation, but since the heat source is not IR light it won't sunburn the plants, leading to better buds (although some higher power fixtures can bleach-white the top of a nug, its rarely an issue.) The heat sink radiates heat--not an infra red light source beaming energy to every surface the light hits.

If you can somehow have the fixture out of the grow room, so the vents on the sides are not blowing into the garden then you'd have virtually no heat, but sometimes plants under LED like it a little warmer, like mid-low 80's. Without ventilation, LEDs in a sealed room can heat it up to 100º+ if its small enough, you'll need some sort of ventilation, but the plants also need lots of fresh air by themselves.

and like it was mentioned, don't try and get cheap LED's as you'll only be buying an underpowered fixture that produces some bud, but not like the bud you want.

--------------------

OfflineKetinkrad
Stranger
Re: Diamond LED 100w [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #681533 - 08/14/13 10:13 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

I have a DS100 and a small grow. I am looking at the DS200, DS300 and the  DS400 as my next purchase. Anyone who has any experience with these models, information and comparison would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Diamond LED 100w [Re: Ketinkrad] * 1
    #681538 - 08/14/13 12:25 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

I have a few DS100's and a DS400. the DS400 is the way to go, as it has a good rectangular footprint. 4'x2.5'. the wattage/square-foot is about perfect.

The 100's are for small areas, or for side lighting, rather than primary lighting. I would go with a DS200 minimum per plant (3-4' tall). Look at the watts/sq-ft, should be about 30-50 (core coverage, using average power draw. not model number).

The DS600 and DS800 seem like they are too dense, at that size I would want to get two DS400's over one DS800 so that I could space them out and get a better footprint with more even coverage.

--------------------

OfflineKetinkrad
Stranger
    #682120 - 08/20/13 06:38 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

I got the DS-300 because the DS-400 was too long for my tent.Thank you for the information, it helped make my decision.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom