Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineoggy
Stranger
How do I get stable seed from plants?
    #769249 - 02/17/15 01:44 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

I am going to be buying as very small number of seeds from Colorado and I want to proliferate them by allowing some of the females to flower and seed.
I won't have another chance of acquiring seeds again unless my state lergalizes it, so I would like to create some kind of renewable source for seed, preferably as close to the parent plant as possible.

Would a female plant that has been stressed to set male flower produce hermaphrodite plants if it polinates any female plant?
How would I best prevent hermaphrodite seeds?

I am most likely going to try and acquire two strains, one for pain and cancer management and the other for recreation/depression. Any suggestions?

This will be my first cannabis grow, I would appreciate any tips and reading material before hand. I plan to start this in mid June, indoors in a smaller room.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleoeric mckenna
Pure Indica

Loc: Mars
Re: How do I get stable seed from plants? [Re: oggy]
    #769288 - 02/17/15 04:07 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

There's a difference between true hermies and a female that was stressed.
You can stress a plant and use the fem pollen to produce female offspring but its generally agreed upon that the offspring will have easy triggers for other stresses and that the whole new genetic line will be more prone to throw true herms as well as females that have pollen sacks.

Most people use sts solution as a lower stress method of inducing females into producing pollen .
Other options are to use a male plant but then you have a mix of male & female offspring.
Another option for preservation is cloning. This is the easiest but also has fragility and you can't store a clone in a freezer and pull it out in the future like with a seed.

As far as genetic stability, you want to cross self x self.

--------------------
***Handing someone your life's work....in a single seed = :laugh: ***

HIGHER THAN A GEORGIA PINE

Oeric's Winter Grow Projects

Invisibleoeric mckenna
Pure Indica

Re: How do I get stable seed from plants? [Re: oeric mckenna]
    #769290 - 02/17/15 04:16 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

And for your pain & cancer management:
I'd look into making edibles. In fact please look into the raw juiced cannabis leaf.
Its NON PSYCHOACTIVE, but this is good because the therapeutic levels of THC required which restore immune health and kill cancer cells would cause you to be ujnpleasantly wasted if they were! This is the problem with Rick Simpsons THC oil. 

Pain. you want some strong indica. Some well grown afghani strain is what I suggest.
Northern lights even. Its an easy one.  try making edibles and keep in mind when eating them, they take a long time to fully come on.

For your depression you might want a sativa or sativa dominant mix.

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How do I get stable seed from plants? [Re: oeric mckenna]
    #769295 - 02/17/15 05:17 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

NO NO NO NO NO NO

YOU DO NOT USE POLLEN FROM HERMIES OR STRESSED FEMALES. When you stress the plants you're just bringing out the hermie traits in it. Stress the plants then the ones that show no signs of going hermie are the ones you want to use. Those stand the least chance of producing hermie seeds cause they have the least hermie traits to transfer over.

The plants that do not show signs of male flowers are then churned by using CS or STS solutions blocking the hormone that tells the flower to form as a female flower.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlineoggy
Stranger
Re: How do I get stable seed from plants? [Re: Magash]
    #769296 - 02/17/15 05:38 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

oeric mckenna said:
And for your pain & cancer management:
I'd look into making edibles. In fact please look into the raw juiced cannabis leaf.
Its NON PSYCHOACTIVE, but this is good because the therapeutic levels of THC required which restore immune health and kill cancer cells would cause you to be ujnpleasantly wasted if they were! This is the problem with Rick Simpsons THC oil. 

Pain. you want some strong indica. Some well grown afghani strain is what I suggest.
Northern lights even. Its an easy one.  try making edibles and keep in mind when eating them, they take a long time to fully come on.

For your depression you might want a sativa or sativa dominant mix.

Wow,thank you so much for ths information! I will definitely look into edibles for this. Thanks again!

Quote:

Magash said:
NO NO NO NO NO NO

YOU DO NOT USE POLLEN FROM HERMIES OR STRESSED FEMALES. When you stress the plants you're just bringing out the hermie traits in it. Stress the plants then the ones that show no signs of going hermie are the ones you want to use. Those stand the least chance of producing hermie seeds cause they have the least hermie traits to transfer over.

The plants that do not show signs of male flowers are then churned by using CS or STS solutions blocking the hormone that tells the flower to form as a female flower.

So stress plants, if they don't show signs of male Flowers, use STS on them. Would this create femenized seeds? Or would there always be a chance of males?

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #769298 - 02/17/15 05:44 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

No matter which way you make seeds there is going to be a chance of hermies showing.

Quote:

use STS on them. Would this create femenized seeds?

Yes

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

Offlineoggy
Stranger
    #769301 - 02/17/15 06:15 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

In which way(s) would you stress the plants?

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #769306 - 02/17/15 07:50 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Light cycles, temps, and water.

--------------------

Offlineoggy
Stranger
    #769307 - 02/17/15 08:06 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Would it be better to locate regular, non-feminized seeds? I don't have intentions to become a breeder of plants, I just want to sustain a collection of seeds to continue growing the plants of my choice.

If I do locate non-feminized seeds, would pollinating a male and female of the same strain produce the same strain or would it be completely lost?

I don't think I can keep clones in a vegetative state due to save issues, otherwise I would just do that.

Also, are there any reliable sources for regular non-feminized seeds in Colorado or if I have to, the internet?

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How do I get stable seed from plants? [Re: oggy] * 1
    #769314 - 02/17/15 09:13 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Sounds like you just need to learn how to keep a mother plant. I'd really learn how to grow before you think about making seeds.

http://www.gorilla-cannabis-seeds.co.uk/

--------------------

Invisibleoeric mckenna
Pure Indica

#769320 - 02/17/15 11:05 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
NO NO NO NO NO NO

Yeah man I tried to explain that as far as the why not to  if you keep reading what I said brutha. We've had this convo before....  the dna of the offspring will definitely have the stress trigger memory imprinted.

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How do I get stable seed from plants? [Re: oeric mckenna] * 1
    #769390 - 02/19/15 05:50 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

oeric mckenna said:
Quote:

Magash said:
NO NO NO NO NO NO

Yeah man I tried to explain that as far as the why not to  if you keep reading what I said brutha. We've had this convo before....  the dna of the offspring will definitely have the stress trigger memory imprinted.

I can admit when ya got me and YA GOT ME!!. 

I stopped reading at this part
Quote:

There's a difference between true hermies and a female that was stressed.
You can stress a plant and use the fem pollen to produce female offspring

Then I started blowing steam out my ears and turning red like a loony toons and started posting.:tongue:

--------------------

Invisibleoeric mckenna
Pure Indica

#769392 - 02/19/15 06:38 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

All good man haha... so hey I'm currently using my first run of the sts spray. Still waiting on the berries but the plant is showing signs of being screwed with at the spray sites....Oddly curled leaf edges on the spray sights.
  I'm planning a chem dog x bubblegummer cross. Pretty psyched about the possible outcomes

I'm thinkin maybe the gibb acid my dad & I used back in the day didn't cause any real stress induced issues at least in our case. (At least in generation 1) Just recently ran the purp we made in '98 with no issues but maybe its a lucky break.  Either way I'm glad to have the genetics preserved as thats all we had back then for a method.

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How do I get stable seed from plants? [Re: oeric mckenna] * 1
    #769393 - 02/19/15 07:08 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

YOu know what the ppm of the spray is. Should be around 50.

sodium thiosulfate (anhydrous) The Sodium thiosulfate being used must have that word "anhydrous" after it.

You prob already know this but for those who don't

Preparation of STS:

First, a stock solution is made. It consists of two parts (A and B) that are initially mixed separately, then blended together. Part A is ALWAYS mixed into part B while stirring rapidly. Use distilled water; tap water may cause precipitates to form.

Wear gloves while mixing and using these chemicals, and mix and use in a properly ventilated area. A mask will prevent the breathing of any dust, which is caustic. STS is colorless and odorless, and poses minimal health risks if used as described here. (See material safety data sheet links below). Note that silver nitrate and STS can cause brown stains upon drying, so spray over newspaper and avoid spilling.

Part A: .5 gram silver nitrate stirred into 500ml distilled water
Part B: 2.5 grams sodium thiosulfate (anhydrous) stirred into 500ml distilled water

The silver nitrate dissolves within 15 seconds. The sodium thiosulfate takes 30-45 seconds to dissolve.

The silver nitrate solution (A) is then mixed into the sodium thiosulfate solution (B) while stirring rapidly. The resulting blend is stock silver thiosulfate solution (STS).

This stock solution is then diluted at a ratio of 1:9 to make a working solution. For example, 100ml of stock STS is added to 900ml of distilled water. This is then sprayed on select female plants.

Both the stock STS and the working solution should be refrigerated after use, as well as the powdered chemicals, to avoid activity loss.

The adjusted formula is as follows:

Part A: .7 gram silver nitrate stirred into 40ml distilled water
Part B: 2.6 grams sodium thiosulfate (anhydrous) stirred into 160 ml distilled water

Next, slowly add the silver nitrate solution to the sodium thiosulfate solution while stirring. This combination is then added to 800 ml of distilled water to equal 1 liter. This is your final stock solution. It is diluted 1:9 with more distilled water to make your final working solution, which then gets sprayed on your target plant.

Either formula will work great, so don't sweat it too much. But do that second spraying at the end of week 2... seems to be the key for getting pollen from the more difficult strains.

Application:

The STS working solution is sprayed on select female plants until runoff. Do the spraying over newspaper in a separate area from the flower room. You probably won't smell anything, but ventilate anyway. You now have what I call a "F>M plant"; a female plant that will produce male flowers.

After the F>M plant dries move it into 12/12 immediately. This is usually done three to four weeks prior to the date that the target (to be pollinated) plants will be ready to pollinate. Response times may vary slightly depending upon the strain. More specific times can be determined by trial with your own individual strains. In my trials it took 26 days for the first pollen. 30-35 days seems optimum for planning purposes.

So, assuming that a target plant needs 3-4 weeks to produce fully mature seeds, a strain that takes 8 weeks to mature should be moved into flower at about the same time as the female>male plant. A target plant that finishes flowering in 6 weeks needs to be moved into flower later (10 days or so) so that it doesn't finish before the seeds can fully mature.

A seeded individual branch can be left to mature on a plant for a bit longer, while harvesting the other seedless buds if they finish first. Just leave enough leaves on for the plant for it to stay healthy.

Effects:

Within days I noticed a yellowing of the leaves on the F>M plants. This effect persisted for two weeks or so; after this they became green again, except for a few of the larger fans. The plants otherwise seemed healthy. No burning was observed. Growth stopped dead for the first ten days, and then resumed slowly. No stretch was ever seen. After two weeks the F>M plants were obviously forming male flower clusters. Not just a few clusters of balls, but complete male flower tops. One plant still formed some pistillate flowers, but overall it was predominantly male.

--------------------

Offlineoggy
Stranger
    #769603 - 02/21/15 07:33 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
Sounds like you just need to learn how to keep a mother plant. I'd really learn how to grow before you think about making seeds.

http://www.gorilla-cannabis-seeds.co.uk/

Thanks for the link.
I know how to keep a cloned plant in vegetative growth, however I don't have the space to do that indefinitely. I tried saying that in my last post however I failed because my tablet auto corrected to "save", haha.
If I had the space and lighting I would just keep a mother plant.

Invisibleoeric mckenna
Pure Indica

#769613 - 02/21/15 09:46 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Very cool magash.
The stuff I bought was pre made with a part a, part b, solution combo to mix.
I will get into making my own next time tho

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures