Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How I deal with pest detection vs. diagnosing the resulting deficiency the pest causes [Re: GoonerHeClips]
    #761521 - 12/13/14 08:32 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I have a friend who grows and we worked in the greenhouse at school together (he's more of an acquaintance, and volunteered the information that he gorws, I never confided in him).

Anyways I got sketched out as he was a bit of a hippy/dirt and I was smoking a lot and got paranoid that I might bring home bugs that this guy will one day be bound to have since he's such a dirt, so I took the extra precaution of removing my clothes upon arriving home and taking a shower before going to my garden. I never had any issues at  the garden but he brought to school his super mite infestation. We usually use biological controls and organic drenches to try to keep the mites, aphids, gnats from turning into super bugs.

Anyways these super mites were actually pretty badass and and out grew the regular amount of predatory mites, the next application was double for the given population, and the next application was quadruple. The greenhouse lead/director professor said fuck it and used something akin to avid. Said director of the greenhouse questioned us both and asked if we're around any other greenhouses or indoor plants that might have spidermite infestations and mentioned the use of biological controls. The guy who more than likely introduced the super mites asked for a subscription like purchase for predatory mites, etc and mentioned that he grows in soil which is actually peat in his case.

*facepalm*

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGoonerHeClips
Stranger

Re: How I deal with pest detection vs. diagnosing the resulting deficiency the pest causes [Re: captain.koons]
    #761758 - 12/15/14 06:08 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Aha, there truly are supermites, and people that grow in peat are victimized more often than those growing in other media.  Having never had spider mites (knock on wood), I haven't tried the particular predatory mites that kill off the spider mites.  But I would surely try that before spraying anything other than perhaps rosemary oil dilution which seems to work.

The Stratio-S are a soil mite that used to be called Hypoaspis Miles.  They kill stuff on top and a little bit below in the soil.  Don't climb up the plants looking for bugs.  But if you use the predatory nematodes in conjunction with the Stratio-S, it kills not only fungal gnat larvae, but other pest larvae as well.  Disrupting the life cycle by wiping out one stage is pretty effective.  Don't cost much either, and gayronteed not to fuck up your plants like bug spray does.  Note this is limited to bugs that lay the eggs in the dirt if it's under leaves then you need another approach.

For the adult fungal gnats, yellow sticky traps are cheap, effective, and gayronteed not to fuck up your plant unless it gets stuck to the leaves.

Edited by GoonerHeClips (12/15/14 06:14 AM)

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

Loc: funkytown Flag
Re: How I deal with pest detection vs. diagnosing the resulting deficiency the pest causes [Re: GoonerHeClips]
    #761771 - 12/15/14 09:40 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks mag. Yeah those mites in sf area are no joke. Fucking black things with what looks like a shell covering their back. Not yellow clear looking things like the ones I've dealt with in socal. What's the deal with predator mites after the plant is harvested? Won't they leave waste and corpses behind too that can devalue the weed?

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

OfflineGoonerHeClips
Stranger

Re: How I deal with pest detection vs. diagnosing the resulting deficiency the pest causes [Re: GreenHorns]
    #761773 - 12/15/14 10:44 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

The only shit the good mites leave is the dead bodies of the bad mites.

Then they march out of there in search of more bad mites.  You can hear their little drums if you listen closely in the dark period.

Or something like that.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How I deal with pest detection vs. diagnosing the resulting deficiency the pest causes [Re: GreenHorns]
    #761802 - 12/15/14 02:19 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

GreenHorns said:
Thanks mag. Yeah those mites in sf area are no joke. Fucking black things with what looks like a shell covering their back. Not yellow clear looking things like the ones I've dealt with in socal. What's the deal with predator mites after the plant is harvested? Won't they leave waste and corpses behind too that can devalue the weed?

It's not the bodies of the mites that devalue the weed but the damage they do which is much more visible then they are. In fact if they did no damage at all people would go for years before they knew they were there.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinewebster10

Re: How I deal with pest detection vs. diagnosing the resulting deficiency the pest causes [Re: Magash]
    #761809 - 12/15/14 03:52 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

What's the deal with nuking my whole room? The intake has been drawing in some bugs the past day or two but I just fixed that. Should I just spray some azamax over the whole room? Will 4 hours dark be long enough for the spray to evaporate so my plants don't get burned? Can I even spray a pesticide on seedlings?

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How I deal with pest detection vs. diagnosing the resulting deficiency the pest causes [Re: webster10]
    #761813 - 12/15/14 05:27 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

webster10 said:
What's the deal with nuking my whole room? The intake has been drawing in some bugs the past day or two but I just fixed that. Should I just spray some azamax over the whole room? Will 4 hours dark be long enough for the spray to evaporate so my plants don't get burned? Can I even spray a pesticide on seedlings?

Depending on the bug I'd just use a pyrethrin bomb. The stuff that does the killing is made of chrysanthemum flowers. Seedlings should be small enough to handle by hand as far as bug removal.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

Re: How I deal with pest detection vs. diagnosing the resulting deficiency the pest causes [Re: Magash]
    #762284 - 12/18/14 10:40 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I have these little white worm things that look like tiny tiny roots(they're the same color and just look similar to roots) and seem to want to live on underground clone stems and roots, I'm not sure if they are good or bad, but will this stuff kill or get rid of them?

add: they seem to start out at the bottom of the soil and almost appear like roots poking out. They are really small

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How I deal with pest detection vs. diagnosing the resulting deficiency the pest causes [Re: Midgetpawn]
    #762293 - 12/18/14 11:26 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Sounds like you have fungus gnat larvae.

--------------------

OfflineGoonerHeClips
Stranger

Re: How I deal with pest detection vs. diagnosing the resulting deficiency the pest causes [Re: Midgetpawn]
    #762303 - 12/19/14 05:08 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Midgetpawn said:
I have these little white worm things that look like tiny tiny roots(they're the same color and just look similar to roots) and seem to want to live on underground clone stems and roots, I'm not sure if they are good or bad, but will this stuff kill or get rid of them?

add: they seem to start out at the bottom of the soil and almost appear like roots poking out. They are really small

Get yourself some predatory nematodes and some Stratio-S mites.  Beneficial Insectary in Redding CA has good products and prices.  The natural approach in this case WORKS and all other approaches seem to fail.  Fucking fungal gnats are certainly bad, and will fuck up your plants.

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

#762318 - 12/19/14 08:16 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I bought a voucher from a hydro shop for a company out of los Angeles I think called Orcon. Called them up with the number on the voucher and next day my BN arrived in the mail. Easily enough to cover a few dozen 3 gallon pots worth of infected soil.

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

#763065 - 12/23/14 11:55 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I don't think they are fungus gnats though. they actually look more like nematodes. At least I certainly don't have gnats and ive had those little worm things for a while. they are thinner and longer than fungas gnats appear to be and they are all white, long, thin, and they dig into my clone stems. There usually only 1 -3 per stem and usually just 1

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #763067 - 12/24/14 12:15 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Nematodes can't be seen with the eye. There microscopic and wouldn't attack plants.

Do they look like this?

--------------------

InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Trusted Cultivator
    #763068 - 12/24/14 12:34 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I had some small caterpillars in my crop this year. Such a pain to deal with especially in late flowering. I had to just kill as many as I could. Next year I plan on spraying some organic pesticide before flowering in hopes to deter caterpillars.

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

Re: How I deal with pest detection vs. diagnosing the resulting deficiency the pest causes [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #763089 - 12/24/14 09:12 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Safer caterpillar killer worked great for my outdoor. And didn't seem to react weird when mixed with stuff.

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag