Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offline40oz
Stranger
First grow, Blue Dream & Pineapple express, LST method. [UPDATE 01.05.15]
    #749876 - 09/26/14 12:26 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

This is my first grow, using a small florescent grow spot lamp & available window light.
Yesterday, i re-potted them from 1.5 gallon to 3 gallon pots.

I read a bunch beforehand & i liked the idea behind
LST because it's just like doing bonsai, it's very therapeutic.

These first 2 photos are the blue dream. It took to shaping quite nicely:

The pineapple express didn't like LST.
I wasn't expecting the branches to produce branches to produce branches & now i don't really know what i should do, training-wise. It's become quite the monster. i just removed the ties all-together & i'm probably going to just let it do it's thing unless you have other suggestions?
I rotated the pot in the various photos so u can kinda see what's going on with it:

Any other suggestions you'd like to give me i would appreciate. thank you. =)
--------------------------------
EDIT Update 11/14/14 (about 7 weeks since initial post)
(Mods please move this to grow logs if you'd like)

Here is the new setup, my buddy gave me a t5 8 bulb floro for free.:smile:
I fixed my neighbor's PC so he bought me a box fan that sits in the window to draw in fresh air. The oscillating fan my mum gave me.

I started 12/12 3 weeks ago.

Here is the photo exposed to show the DWC clone box i made, wrapped in Bubble Foil below the table.

2 days ago, after seeing signs of pests leaving crud on both plants,
I removed most of the fan leaves & then treated the plants with an insecticidal soap from home depot.

Here is a shot of the Blue Dream afterwards:

Here is a shot of how i tied down & shaped branches:

These 2 side shoots literally grew 3" overnight after removing the fan leaves:

Both plants are showing this dark green banding on the fan leaves, anyone know what it is?

I feed them shultz 10.15.10, fish emulsion & super thrive the same way
Dr Bud feeds his plants in his tek. (although i let the soil dry out between feedings)

Here is the Pineapple Express.
It's a very bushy spindly plant, trying to manage the branches away from each other for breathing room has been challenging. at this point i'm only tying her down to keep a level canopy with the Blue Dream:

That's it for now. It's been fun!
I plan to give the clones a short veg time & throw them in to flower right away, I also plan to build a DWC bucket to see how i like that method.
Eventually i'd like to go with a full hydro/NFT system once i acquire all the necessities.

Constructive criticism is always appreciated, Thanks!

-----------
***Update 1/2/15 here.
-----------

-----------
***Update 1/11/15 here.
-----------

Edited by 40oz (01/11/15 02:16 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
Re: First grow, Blue Dream & Pineapple express, LST method [Re: 40oz]
    #749878 - 09/26/14 05:52 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

What kind of growing medium are you using? That second plant looks a little stressed but that is likely from the repot.

Look into fimming/topping to keep it from getting too tall and just keep it trimmed. It will cause it to bush out more but as long as you keep it trimmed it should be no problem for you. The only thing is your amount of light, window light is all but a waste in my opinion I would at least buy as many of those lights as you can without it causing too much heat. That is my best advice for your situation.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
Re: First grow, Blue Dream & Pineapple express, LST method [Re: mhbound]
    #749880 - 09/26/14 07:33 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Really though you can get 150watt HPS for under 100$. I bought one for like 60+shipping

--------------------
Suck my balls America

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

#749996 - 09/26/14 07:15 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

If that's sand on top of soil, be aware that a layer of sand on top will stop oxygen from getting to the roots.

Offline40oz
Stranger
    #750031 - 09/27/14 12:26 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

mhbound said:
What kind of growing medium are you using? That second plant looks a little stressed but that is likely from the repot.

Look into fimming/topping to keep it from getting too tall and just keep it trimmed. It will cause it to bush out more but as long as you keep it trimmed it should be no problem for you. The only thing is your amount of light, window light is all but a waste in my opinion I would at least buy as many of those lights as you can without it causing too much heat. That is my best advice for your situation.

Quote:

mhbound said:
Really though you can get 150watt HPS for under 100$. I bought one for like 60+shipping

growing medium was some organic potting soil from home depot.
I'm not sure if i'm sold on the fimming technique quite yet, i think i'm going to take 2 clones off the BD, fim one & then compare dry weight to see for myself.
After reading a bunch, what i think i'm gonna do is defoliate the fan leaves from the PE and tie the branches away from each other so they aren't crowded fighting for light. Hopefully that'll be enough to stop the spindly growth.

As far as the window light goes, it's not diffused but hard light coming through my windows, so they get a good dose every day. I just had a baby recently so liquid assets are nil', i have to work with what i got. just the way it goes. =)

Offline40oz
Stranger
Re: First grow, Blue Dream & Pineapple express, LST method [Re: Midgetpawn]
    #750033 - 09/27/14 12:51 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Midgetpawn said:
If that's sand on top of soil, be aware that a layer of sand on top will stop oxygen from getting to the roots.

It's reptile sand, calcium carbonate i believe.
When i first got the clones, my wife over-watered them & it attracted the fungus gnats.
I had to put that sand over the top to keep them from breeding, reduced my watering to once every 3 days and I fired my wife. My strategy was 100% effective. That was during the time they were in 1.5 gallon pots, they were covered with sand for about a month without any noticeable effects, the plants didn't mind at all.
I imagine it has something to do with atmospheric pressure being around 14.7 lbs psi.

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

Re: First grow, Blue Dream & Pineapple express, LST method [Re: 40oz]
    #750034 - 09/27/14 02:07 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

that might actually be a good idea to aid with gnat control. Yea I don't know how big a problem the reduced oxygen will be, but could potentially cause some mild problems. I know putting woodchips or bark mulch on top has some benefits for organic grows, but I don't know if it would stop gnats.

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

Re: First grow, Blue Dream & Pineapple express, LST method [Re: Midgetpawn]
    #750035 - 09/27/14 02:10 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

hey you should learn the tautline hitch and make your hung light more easily adjustable!

there may actually be a better knot for adjusting taut rope or string, but I just like and know this one.

Offline40oz
Stranger
Re: First grow, Blue Dream & Pineapple express, LST method. [UPDATE 11.14.14] [Re: 40oz]
    #757240 - 11/14/14 04:39 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

bump: Update in original post.

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: First grow, Blue Dream & Pineapple express, LST method. [UPDATE 11.14.14] [Re: 40oz]
    #757268 - 11/14/14 08:03 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

What on earth is that white stuff all over your plant?

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Invisibleoeric mckenna
Pure Indica

Loc: Mars
Re: First grow, Blue Dream & Pineapple express, LST method. [UPDATE 11.14.14] [Re: captain.koons]
    #757286 - 11/14/14 08:56 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Hey man.
About this defoliation thing you mentioned. I gotta say that I really believe that you want as many leaves as you can get with the exception of pruning scraggly bottom branches on tall plants.
  The best plants with the biggest buds got those buds from energy absorbed by the leaves...
Pulling leaves can really bum on a plant and yours look kind of sparse as is. Just my 2 cents since you asked...  &Best of luck brutha

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: First grow, Blue Dream & Pineapple express, LST method. [UPDATE 11.14.14] [Re: oeric mckenna] * 2
    #757288 - 11/14/14 09:09 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Pulling all the fan leaves was a mistake. If you want more power you don't go out and yank solar panels off of the roof.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: First grow, Blue Dream & Pineapple express, LST method. [UPDATE 11.14.14] [Re: Magash]
    #757289 - 11/14/14 09:28 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

You can defoliate in flower and it improves yield especially(only) when your canopy is over crowded. Anything green is going to be photosynthetic but you need a large mass of buds before you even think of doing that.

You should also know your genetics as it would be a very good way to stress your plants and possibly throw nanners.

Absolutely no reason to do it in veg or with CFLs or whatever you're using.  The reason why it works well under HID is there's an abundance of foliage for the amount of light being shined down on the canopy. so photosynthesis is driven well when your canopy is thinned as it's got the maximum (or close) amount of light exposure it would be getting with all those extra leaves sitting in the shade.

Never do this in veg.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Offline40oz
Stranger
Re: First grow, Blue Dream & Pineapple express, LST method. [UPDATE 11.14.14] [Re: captain.koons]
    #757300 - 11/14/14 10:32 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

captain.koons said:
What on earth is that white stuff all over your plant?

the white stuff in the pots?
It's reptile sand, calcium carbonate. kept the gnats from laying eggs in the soil. It had no noticeable effect on the plants when i put it on months ago.

Offline40oz
Stranger
Re: First grow, Blue Dream & Pineapple express, LST method. [UPDATE 11.14.14] [Re: oeric mckenna]
    #757305 - 11/14/14 10:51 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

oeric mckenna said:
Hey man.
About this defoliation thing you mentioned. I gotta say that I really believe that you want as many leaves as you can get with the exception of pruning scraggly bottom branches on tall plants.
  The best plants with the biggest buds got those buds from energy absorbed by the leaves...
Pulling leaves can really bum on a plant and yours look kind of sparse as is. Just my 2 cents since you asked...  &Best of luck brutha

Quote:

Magash said:
Pulling all the fan leaves was a mistake. If you want more power you don't go out and yank solar panels off of the roof.

Quote:

captain.koons said:
You can defoliate in flower and it improves yield especially(only) when your canopy is over crowded. Anything green is going to be photosynthetic but you need a large mass of buds before you even think of doing that.

You should also know your genetics as it would be a very good way to stress your plants and possibly throw nanners.

Absolutely no reason to do it in veg or with CFLs or whatever you're using.  The reason why it works well under HID is there's an abundance of foliage for the amount of light being shined down on the canopy. so photosynthesis is driven well when your canopy is thinned as it's got the maximum (or close) amount of light exposure it would be getting with all those extra leaves sitting in the shade.

Never do this in veg.

This post is a synopsis of this thread that explains why i did it. The dude in the icmag thread posted photos of this tek in action & reasoned why removing fan leaves makes the plant focus on bud sites instead of fan leaves.
After seeing those photos of his buds i was a believer. :shrug:

Do u guys know what this is? Both plants are showing this dark green banding on the fan leaves.
It happened when i recently switched nutes from 5.1.1 to 10.15.10+fish emulsion+superthrive:
i'm not sure if the banding is normal or not :confused:

Invisibleoeric mckenna
Pure Indica

#757306 - 11/14/14 10:57 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

captain.koons said:

Haha... all the local growers I know here call em "nanners" too.
I call them female pollen sacks not that it matters...
Man, they're highly valuable on one hand too though if you should encounter them.

Oh and hey, from the personal brain archives. Heres a neat experiment on the detriment of defoliation directly to bud development. Yes the buds will grow but... compare:

Take a plant and strip all large leaves off a single branch. That branch will have smaller buds than elsewhere.  seems to me from my experience that its generally a branch to branch idea

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: First grow, Blue Dream & Pineapple express, LST method. [UPDATE 11.14.14] [Re: oeric mckenna] * 1
    #757308 - 11/14/14 11:35 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Man, they're highly valuable on one hand too though if you should encounter them.

For what? If your talking feminized seeds you don't use those nanners.

That's how Soma makes his fems and they always go hermie and throw enough nanners to draw a pack of monkeys.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

Offline40oz
Stranger
Re: First grow, Blue Dream & Pineapple express, LST method. [UPDATE 11.14.14] [Re: Magash]
    #757309 - 11/14/14 11:43 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

okay, so i take it the dark green is nothing to be concerned about? :shrug:

Invisibleoeric mckenna
Pure Indica

#757312 - 11/15/14 12:13 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

I'd worry more about the yellowish tinges, & yes to make female seeds. certainly.
Only plants that are stressed very badly give herm problems in the future generations. maybe our opinikons differ.  its a biological response for survival that occurs in nature though.  I like to use the ones that kick out on overly aged buds.

--------------------
***Handing someone your life's work....in a single seed = :laugh: ***

HIGHER THAN A GEORGIA PINE

Oeric's Winter Grow Projects

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: First grow, Blue Dream & Pineapple express, LST method. [UPDATE 11.14.14] [Re: oeric mckenna]
    #757313 - 11/15/14 01:06 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Only plants that are stressed very badly give herm problems in the future generations.

I've been making and selling feminized seeds for 8 years and I know for a fact that this is totally untrue. Companies that know what they are doing use age as a stress test to try and force male flowers. Those that show them are throne out. The same goes for plants that throw them with light stress or water stress. The companies that use the age method of making their feminized seeds are just plain lazy breeders who don't give a shit about their customers. Every one of them has non-stop complaints. Soma Seeds is a prime example. They were one of the best selling seed companies for years with strains like Lavender.
Then he released his fems made with that method. The method of using old flowers that throw male flowers is called rodilization.
Now look at Soma Seeds. They are the clown show of the seed world. Check out his forum at ICMAG. He got so many complaints for his fems (and remember he is a master grower and has been since the 70s) that he's having to sell rolling papers now and different products to keep his business alive.

Quote:

its a biological response for survival that occurs in nature though

Absolutely true. The thing is that it also purposely throws a ton of hermies in order to prevent the plant from having the same problem from whatever environmental factor caused it.

and last how is the plant going to continue the next generation if all the seeds are female? There would have to be hermies in order to make up for there not being any males that caused the for the hermies flowers in the first place. So if what you say is true and fems made from old flowers reliable then the  plant would be making itself extinct on the next generation.  :wink:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom