Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleoeric mckenna
Pure Indica

Loc: Mars
Re: First grow, Blue Dream & Pineapple express, LST method. [UPDATE 11.14.14] [Re: Magash]
    #757314 - 11/15/14 01:22 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

The offspring of these plants seem to be coded with that same panic gene and definitely produce female pollen sacks in the future.  I've perhaps personally been lucky with the true herm issue doing this but then again, I'm not selling seeds. I've mainly used this to keepp strains alive and preserved when no  males were available.  Shit man, I still have my NY purp from '98 because I did this. This plant currently acts just like any other standard male pollen produced plant ... well so far anyway.
I used gibberelic acid on a mother at the time.  I rated how pissed off and mutated the individual offspring were by how many female pollen sacks they'd produce. The ones with only a few were used.  Believe me I understand what's happenening but hey you're probably right and if I were selling these I'd definitely not want the gene pool intergrity being questionable. its helped me out though.
  In fact, that strain now has calmed down and doesn't even produce female pollen sacks , "nanners" unless it gets light leaks or other stressers

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: First grow, Blue Dream & Pineapple express, LST method. [UPDATE 11.14.14] [Re: oeric mckenna]
    #757315 - 11/15/14 01:41 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

I see what you're saying but if I were to do this it would be irresponsible of me to do so. I have to have the rate of hermies in my fems the same as my regular seeds.

Still using gabrillic, you are a man of the 90s. One time when board try STS. (of course if what your doing is working why fuck with it that's why I say when your board).

Quote:

and doesn't even produce female pollen sacks , "nanners" unless it gets light leaks or other stressers

This is exactly what I can't let happen. That's why the plants are stressed tested. When one of the plants show male flowers under any kind of stress out she goes. To be truthful with you even plants that are used to make regular seeds should be stressed tested.

I like chatting with you :thumbup:

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offline40oz
Stranger
Re: First grow, Blue Dream & Pineapple express, LST method. [UPDATE 11.14.14] [Re: Magash]
    #757316 - 11/15/14 01:51 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

so um, dark green on the fan leaves is caused by.................................??? :smirk:

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: First grow, Blue Dream & Pineapple express, LST method. [UPDATE 11.14.14] [Re: 40oz]
    #757318 - 11/15/14 02:08 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Dr Bud is a retard from what I can see.

He is using as he puts it

Quote:

1176 Watts of CFL's under Flower at once

OMG how stupid is this. CFL lights for one are not cooler then HID lights. With less then 350watts of hid he could be getting the same amount of light he's getting with 1176 of cfl light. Ahhhhh...I'll save this for another day.

Now that striping on your leaves I've only seen a few times and it was caused (in my case) by some disease that was caused by plant pests. Revive works well for fixing plants.

Now training the plant the way you did is cool but with a plant that small you're gonna have a bunch of tiny little buds. Try (if you're bored and want more smoke) to do a larger amount of untopped plants in one space. (it worked for me anyway)
;)

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #757324 - 11/15/14 05:18 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Magash, although I think CFLs suck too, you need to consider how easy they are to cool regardless of their effeciency, the bulbs have a lot more surface area so air cooling them with a fan blowing over them and trailing to an exhaust is very effective. For this reason they can be placed incredibly close to the light. Their shape makes them essentially like a radiator, they produce more heat per watt but they shed that heat well so it's not hard to control.

You also need to consider the lumens at their average distance to the plant in both scenarios. the CFLs also win hands down on the score cards for even distribution due to their shape and number of bulbs / square foot.

CFLs can compete with HID under optimal conditions which are many times harder to achieve using CFLs and require much higher plant counts and the right variety that stays very short.

Setting up a proper cabinet or tent is also going to cost heaps of money, unless you're stealing the bulbs.

FWIW, my friend did a 2x2 cab using less than ideaal 13w bulbs and crammed as many he could into there. He ended up with a QP of tight but small nugs. I guess that's a bit over .5gpw, which is probably about what the average HID grower does. I was working for a power company at the time and would be in charge of managing light control/energy savings at Costco, Walmart, etc remotely, interestingly enough you can save thousands of dollars a month at those buildings shutting off every other light or dimming them. DURRRR Anyways, my pay cheque was short 14 hours most of which was overtime so I was pretty steamed. My boss kept telling me to come into work on my days off to sort it out because I'd call him and he'd be in his car and is too stupid to use a bluetooth headset and didn't want to get pulled over. Anyways, he was always late and didn't care to sort things out and I ended up coming there 3 times before everything was said and done. I told him I want an additional 10 hours for having to come into work as per the labor board rules, he refused. I filed a complaint and he cut my hours. I had a friend working there who loved to play hookie and had a doctor friend who would right us sick notes, as they were required to get your paid sick days. We both called in sick for ALL 11 of our sick days for the year in January and they were beyond fucked. Both of us came back on the same day in good spirits, wearing matching outfits, and were canned on the spot. There was some gong show about them trying to fire us for insubordination so we wouldn't be entitled for unemployment insurance. We ended up getting it but had had to fight for it. Anyways we both stole a bunch of shit from a storage room as we were leaving including 2 huge boxes of CFLs which were all 7 and 13w. We gave my buddy all the 13w ones to use for his cabinet.

Also using the proper bulbs, ie higher than 13w per cfl and more appropriate wavelengths/color would probably increase that .5 gpw figure a bit.

I'm almost curious enough to try CFL now.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: First grow, Blue Dream & Pineapple express, LST method. [UPDATE 11.14.14] [Re: captain.koons]
    #757330 - 11/15/14 07:07 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Magash, although I think CFLs suck too, you need to consider how easy they are to cool regardless of their effeciency, the bulbs have a lot more surface area so air cooling them with a fan blowing over them and trailing to an exhaust is very effective. For this reason they can be placed incredibly close to the light. Their shape makes them essentially like a radiator, they produce more heat per watt but they shed that heat well so it's not hard to control.

You also need to consider the lumens at their average distance to the plant in both scenarios. the CFLs also win hands down on the score cards for even distribution due to their shape and number of bulbs / square foot.

CFLs can compete with HID under optimal conditions which are many times harder to achieve using CFLs and require much higher plant counts and the right variety that stays very short.

Setting up a proper cabinet or tent is also going to cost heaps of money, unless you're stealing the bulbs.

Yeah great but what does it have to do with this garden or the one he's using as a example. I never said anything different then what you have but since going by his pictures he dosen't have any of the limitations that would need cfl lights.

This cabinet uses them in the top for the reasons you gave.

So Going by the pictures in this thread his garden would be better off with a hid then cfl light since heat isn't a issue and he only has a few plants and doesn't need to spread out the light. Also if he continues to grow his plants in the form of small bushes (which is kind of cool looking cause they look bonsi) he's going to have issues with light penetration which can be handled better because of what you said. The fact that the light comes from a centralized source and not spread out would help in this garden. With this garden he's wasting money using a light source that converts more of it's energy toward making heat then the hid light does. 

Quote:

Also using the proper bulbs, ie higher than 13w per cfl and more appropriate wavelengths/color would probably increase that .5 gpw figure a bit.

I'm almost curious enough to try CFL now.

:thumbup: go for it. Won't work well for me I need light penetration past the 1 foot mark.

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #757335 - 11/15/14 07:47 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

It is relevant because you can't compare HID to CFL at the same distance, which means you can't say 350w of HID > 1200 CFL. Sorry I didn't quote, I'm using a browser that doesn't let me hit the quote button and redirect, so I need to c/p and write in the [ quote ] [ /quote ]

ALSO, the pictures appear to be on a work bench or something, not in a light tight area with ventilation which sets off some alarms in my head. I guess he could use the circulation fan.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: First grow, Blue Dream & Pineapple express, LST method. [UPDATE 11.14.14] [Re: captain.koons] * 1
    #757346 - 11/15/14 08:23 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Look I know you like to troll me and argue for the sake of arguing but his bench has nothing but open space around it like it's in a bedroom and a small hid big enough for those plants isn't gonna be a issue.

Now I'm gonna go to the lounge and say the sky is blue. You can then come and say "no it's light blue" and then tell us why.

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #757349 - 11/15/14 08:34 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Hey you guys know I'm kidding around right?

Me and Koons have known each other for years.  :awetongue:

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #757350 - 11/15/14 08:35 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

:frown:

I like to think of it as stirring the pot. Me and you make up like 20% of the posts made on this forum in the last week.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: First grow, Blue Dream & Pineapple express, LST method. [UPDATE 11.14.14] [Re: captain.koons]
    #757352 - 11/15/14 08:38 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

YOU ACTUALLY HAD ME GOING!

YOU JERK.

I started to get the feels.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #757353 - 11/15/14 08:40 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

captain.koons said:
:frown:

I like to think of it as stirring the pot. Me and you make up like 20% of the posts made on this forum in the last week.

lol.....I'm still laughing. Thanks man. :lmafo:

Well I gotta go spread some pollen. Today is Sweet 16 and Gina day. (gina is a strain of mine not just the rag who is yelling at me for working in the garden all night). :justdontknow:

You know I had to buy a house in Australia to keep this one happy :rolleyes:

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #757354 - 11/15/14 08:41 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

What was the Gina make up?

I have a million things to do myself. I think I'll start doing those now.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #757356 - 11/15/14 08:45 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Gina--Sweet 16 X GDP x Trainwreck

Have a good one :elmo:

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #757363 - 11/15/14 09:47 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

and it's named after your lady?

Is she a sweet trainwreck? :crazy: jk

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #757380 - 11/15/14 10:41 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

captain.koons said:
and it's named after your lady?

Is she a sweet trainwreck? :crazy: jk

Nah, she's actually the glue that keeps the business and the household together. I let her deal with the clubs, make all the appointments and crap while I just have to grow nowadays.

By the way
Quote:

YOU ACTUALLY HAD ME GOING!

YOU JERK.

I started to get the feels.

You handled it rather well with your response. I thought for sure I'd get ya to crack on that one. :crazy2::lol::crazy2:

--------------------

Offline40oz
Stranger
    #757478 - 11/15/14 03:50 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
Dr Bud is a retard from what I can see.

:lol: dude you almost made me choke on a pop tart.

Quote:

He is using as he puts it

Quote:

1176 Watts of CFL's under Flower at once

OMG how stupid is this. CFL lights for one are not cooler then HID lights. With less then 350watts of hid he could be getting the same amount of light he's getting with 1176 of cfl light. Ahhhhh...I'll save this for another day.

The photos of his buds are impressive with what he's working with. it gives me hope with my little dinky set up. :wink: don't rain on my parade Magash. :sad:

Quote:

Now that striping on your leaves I've only seen a few times and it was caused (in my case) by some disease that was caused by plant pests. Revive works well for fixing plants.

Well that doesn't surprise me. the soil i bought from home depot is infested with all kinds of macroscopic bug life. I of course did not know until i looked at the drain holes wit a macro lens.  :whoa:
you sure it doesn't look like Mag def? or a zinc def? all the leaves i've compared it to on the internets point to those two?

Quote:

Now training the plant the way you did is cool but with a plant that small you're gonna have a bunch of tiny little buds. Try (if you're bored and want more smoke) to do a larger amount of untopped plants in one space. (it worked for me anyway)
;)

yes exactly what i intended to do! i cloned a bunch in that box below the
table, i was gonna let them veg for a week or so and throw them in the 12/12.

I don't really smoke much, actually, i'm trying to find a plant that works for me for my medical needs (we talked about your Cannibal strain in your haze thread a few weeks ago for this reason) once i get that i'll be smoking everyday but this grow hobby i picked up is mostly for my wife smoke-o-saurus rex.
This is what happens when she doesn't get her smoke on for the day:

t=55s

SO yeah, i'm just trying to grow as many nuggets as i can with what i got to keep her at bay
  :flamethrow:  :potleaf:

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: First grow, Blue Dream & Pineapple express, LST method. [UPDATE 11.14.14] [Re: 40oz]
    #757480 - 11/15/14 03:57 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

I've heard good things about Revive. I've never used it, I think it came out after I ran AN.

As for the soil, you can pasteurize it next time. My friend on his first grow bought a crap ton of soil because he was scared of plant counts. He lived somewhere where he figured 3 is the number so he bought some huge ass planters I forgot the exact size and baked soil to kill everything in it. If you care about soil biology, which is beneficial to root growth and general plant health, you could inoculate it with tea or just add a bunch of worm castings.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #757484 - 11/15/14 04:13 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Most like the bugs are fungus gnats or thrips in the soil you just bought.

Quote:

you sure it doesn't look like Mag def? or a zinc def? all the leaves i've compared it to on the internets point to those two?

Fucking shit I'm a retard. I put up the pic of the revive and didn't tell why. If you have a mild nutrient def then use the revive. For bugs use azamax its suppose to be harmless to people.

Damn that was stupid of me. :justdontknow: (shut up Koons)

Quote:

don't rain on my parade Magash. :sad:

I'm not, I think you can do better.

--------------------

Offline40oz
Stranger
    #764130 - 01/02/15 02:03 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

well Magash, you predicted just everything that was gonna happen.

I did/do have thrips and the fungus gnats.

The thrips, i find maybe one or two grubs about once a week and i go over just about every leaf every night to kill those little snotty motherfuckers.

The fungus gnats are more of an annoyance than anything.

you said i would have issues with light penetrating the canvas,
and now all the undergrowth (that i probably should have pulled out earlier) are all pale & limp. I tried to put a CFL down there to give them a little more light but it's been a week and there is really no difference.
Unless you guys say otherwise, i am going to pull the undergrowth.
My only concern is if it will interfere with flowering (branch tips just now started budding/flowering)

I didn't realize it but for a few months, there was major light leakage
coming in from the curtain that extended my 12/12 cycle into more like 18/6.  :foreheadslap:

So without further rambling, here is my puny little plant that isn't so puny anymore:

The plant is about 3 feet tall from the top of the pot.
I put sticks between the branches so the colas aren't soo crowded together.
so much for 'cool little bonsai's eh? :lol: :smirk:

Here is the bottom undergrowth looking like day old salad:

and here is the PE:

I've had a stigma against this plant because it's more shrubby than it is branchy & didn't really train as easily as the BD.
but i think it was mostly because my buddy gave my wife a dried up plant for free (that had the same characteristics) because he said it wasn't worth his time trimming it. (it had little pocket buds at the nodes instead of colas)

SO i just assumed that i'd get the same deal. but that's really not the case,
There s flowering going on the entire length of the branches, more so than the BD.

well I've rambled enough. time for Z's.
oh, can anyone predict how much longer i've got until harvest? it's been foreverrrrrrrrrrrr  :facepalm:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds