Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinematt1208
Stranger

urgent grow LED grow light help
    #748563 - 09/17/14 05:56 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

i am currently in the process of setting up an LED grow room for my first indoor grow, anyway i currently have 1 blue and red light mix, by my calculations ill need another 2 LED panels for the space, was wondering what would be best, another 2 blue/red mixes, or 2 reds, 2 blues or 1 red and 1 blue panel???

cheers for the help :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinematt1208
Stranger

Re: urgent grow LED grow light help [Re: matt1208]
    #748564 - 09/17/14 05:57 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

oh btw this is going to be the room i veg and flower my plants in if that helps any

Offlineroxxor
Stranger
 User Gallery

#748572 - 09/17/14 08:05 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

I would recommend the full spectrums if your going to use them all the way through, lots of leds now u can get where they have switches to turn on/off the blue and red spectrums.

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

#748573 - 09/17/14 08:25 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Someone who might know the answer to this might need more specific details about the kind of panels they are, and even then I get the impression that a lot of the LED fans are people with money to burn on high tech panels that wouldn't have to worry about this problem. I'm personally waiting till the technology settles and the prices go way down before having an interest.

You ever heard of induction lighting? It would make for great grow lights if they'd advance the technology, but the technology is still from 1991 and although it's great for being from 1991, it could still use some research. This pic gives a good example of how it works off of an external magnetic field. It's a lot like fluorescent lighting only brighter, cooler, more powerful, and potentially lasts a lot longer.

I think this technology is great specifically for grow lighting, but not so much home lighting because of the magnetic fields. It's also still really expensive.

Offlinematt1208
Stranger

Re: urgent grow LED grow light help [Re: Midgetpawn]
    #748578 - 09/17/14 08:44 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

The pannels are only $90each nothing to fancy just LEDS on a pannel, I have figured out how many I need for the grow area just not sure what colour LEDS would work best considering I'm using the same room for veg and flowering

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

#748582 - 09/17/14 09:12 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

You would have to get advice from someone besides me, but I feel like filling in the light spectrum between the red and blue nominal wavelength would be beneficial over just specific red and blue wavelengths. If I personally only had the 2 colors I'd try to keep it as even as possible, but that's just my opinion based on what little I know. To me those simpler red and blue LED panels seem like they should be used in addition to an already full spectrum light source. I'm actually curious how well just red and blue light works for plant growth.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #748630 - 09/17/14 04:28 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

It sounds like you bought some cheap LED's and now your going to waste more money buying more to fill in an area.  I'd stop spending on garbage lights "just to light an area" and think about quality of the LED. Your buying the cheapest you can find, which means they sell you the cheapest they can make.

LED's are not bulbs. They are electronic chips that are made to the same specifications, but operate at different efficiencies. They test every diode and rate it by 'bin' or quality. Those lower quality diodes run hotter while giving off less light and lower life span, driven further lower by lack of heat sink and decent quality power drivers.

RED/BLUE is really old, full spectrum/white lights have been around for awhile, so anyone making a red/blue light is still within the Bullshit realm. Its possible under red/blue but its not ideal.

$90 x number of panels = cost per year or two, so $45 per year per light if they last two years. Its cheaper to front the money to a good LED company and you even get a higher quality fixture. Check out Advanced LED and Growblu. Those are the two I've used and recommend.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Offlinematt1208
Stranger

Re: urgent grow LED grow light help [Re: phychotron]
    #748642 - 09/17/14 05:48 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Soo what colour lights would you reccomend ?

Offlinewebster10

#748645 - 09/17/14 06:20 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Was just checking out advanced LED's new diamond series. Psychotron, what is so good about LED's that make a 400w system $1,000?

Offlinematt1208
Stranger

Re: urgent grow LED grow light help [Re: webster10]
    #748689 - 09/17/14 08:12 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

this is all the specifications on the led panels

Size: 305mm x 305mm x 35mm
    LED Output Power: 0.06w x 225 LEDs (13.5w in total)
    165 Red Bulbs + 60 Blue Bulbs = 225 Bulbs
    Blue light wavelength:460-465 nm
    Red light wavelength: 650-655 nm
    LED Bulb Diameter: 5mm
    Lumen(blue): 4.8Lux x 60 LEDs (288lux in total)
    Lumen(red): 7.2Lux x 165LEDs (1188lux in total)
    Working Temperature: -30-60 degree Celsius
    Working Humidity: Less than 95%
    Lighting Coverage: 20cm-200cm
    Recommended Height: 30cm-150cm
    Recommended Coverage: 0.8 square meter
    cord and hanging kit included
    More Efficient: 100% of the power input for our LED grow lights is used for your plant chlorophyll production
    The best lighting time (led grow light lighting time plus sunlight lighting time) for plant growing should be 10-14hrs
    LED light saves 50% to 90% in energy consumption compared to incandescent bulbs or fluorescent tubes
    No ballast needed, simply plug it in and ready to play
    Minimal heat to keep your plants from burning
    No infrared ray and ultraviolet radiation to destroy your plants

a figure a few of these will do, just remember im an outdoor grower, im not 100% ill do more then one grow indoors, this is just an experiment so to speak and me just wanting to mix it up a little, so there isnt any point in spending $300+ just on the lights for one grow, very inefficient in my opinion, but thanks for all the tips and so on, if i enjoy it and it works out alright for me i might go for a bigger more expensive main light and use these cheaper ones as a few extra lights to brighten up the room

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #748698 - 09/17/14 09:18 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

WOAH! STOP BUYING THOSE... those are the worst. 0.06w per diode, those are instrument panel lights, as in they are meant to be looked at with human eyes. Those are not grow lights, they are just some stupid contraption built to sell you something that looks like a grow light.

You can expect little to no results with those.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

#748704 - 09/17/14 09:34 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

I'm so out of the loop for LED technology, but I'd guess that something like http://www.amazon.com/Apollo-Horticulture-GL80X5LED-Spectrum-Growing is the cheapest and not completely awful you can get.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: urgent grow LED grow light help [Re: Midgetpawn]
    #748772 - 09/18/14 10:13 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Although the specs on that light don't look too bad, its not the style I'd recommend. It uses a single panel to mount the diodes, when one goes a strip or two go. The way the diodes are mounted make it very difficult to fix, so I recommend something with a modular design. Growblu sells a common fixture named APOLLO, but I don't think its the same as the brand you posted.

--------------------

InvisiblebEelzeBosS
Are my eyes red?

#748786 - 09/18/14 01:50 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Im using this Apollo in a very small veg tent. Works fine but only had it a couple months so far. Time will tell if it was worth $180.

--------------------
:firecum:

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: urgent grow LED grow light help [Re: bEelzeBosS]
    #748833 - 09/18/14 08:20 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

its not hard finding a good veg light, they almost all veg well. Its the flower power the cheap one's tend to lack.

--------------------

InvisiblebEelzeBosS
Are my eyes red?

#748878 - 09/19/14 08:04 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah I wouldn't even think about flowering with it, I knew it would only be for veg when I bought it. One of these days Im going to invest in some nice LED's, hopefully they'll start to come down in price within a couple years.

--------------------
:firecum:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds