Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineShroomofdoom
Menace 2 Society
Male

Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: Growing high grade bud, How hard is it? [Re: maryanne3087]
    #539360 - 03/23/11 07:09 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I thought Lumens were just the amount of light visible to the eye.. I could be wrong here. I think magash is compareing the strength of the light rather than lumens.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
Re: Growing high grade bud, How hard is it? [Re: Shroomofdoom]
    #539361 - 03/23/11 07:14 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Good info is good info, but is confusing to ME so I'm sure its confusing to someone just starting out haha.

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Growing high grade bud, How hard is it? [Re: Shroomofdoom]
    #539380 - 03/23/11 08:21 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Lumens are a measure of visible light.

More accurate comparison for plant use would be photosynthetically active radiation or PAR watts. This would be more of a comparison for specific bulb vs bulb as there are HPS with more blue or red/far red CFLs with different spectrums full specrum, 2700k (warm white), 6500k, etc. Each would have it's own distribution of light that could be graphed vs. a plant sensitivity curve giving you an idea of how much of the light produced by the bulb is used by the plants.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Growing high grade bud, How hard is it? [Re: maryanne3087]
    #539439 - 03/23/11 11:27 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

There are some botanists who don't even believe in the PAR way of thinking either. They posit that there are wavelengths outside the visible spectrum that are equally as important (In fact, many plants photosynthesize IR and Far IR).

However, lumens only measure light output detectable as reflect-able wavelengths for the human eye. The important thing to measure in order to quantify horticultural efficacy would be a combined unit of lumens and penetration intensity. I believe most often botanists use lux (or foot-candles, as the non-SI unit).  Although lumens give a good baseline to judge the power of a bulb, it's really just the illumination quantity, and not the actual light power.

--------------------

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

Loc: West Coast
Re: Growing high grade bud, How hard is it? [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #540517 - 03/26/11 09:49 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

If I could turn back the clock, I would get the 400 watt HID.  CFL's have been great, and you can grow some potent bud, but you can grow more of it under a HID.  I'm currently on my last CFL grow.  GOOD LUCK!

--------------------
It looks like it's going to be another Gravity Bong type day...

OfflineJesus
Average Guy with a Cool Name
Male

Loc: A Cloud in the Heavens Flag
Re: Growing high grade bud, How hard is it? [Re: muse42]
    #540552 - 03/26/11 11:18 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

how about some new school LED light panels? ive looked into it blue for veg and red for flowering heard it works. curious though..

--------------------
:stalin: DOUBLE RAINBOW ALL THE WAYY!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQSNhk5ICTI

OfflineJesus
Male

Re: Growing high grade bud, How hard is it? [Re: Jesus]
    #540553 - 03/26/11 11:22 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Jesus said:
how about some new school LED light panels? ive looked into it blue for veg and red for flowering heard it works. curious though..

the blue spectrum of light if high intensity is what what need to vegatate and the red spectrum of light is what plants need to flower lolz and some people mix up ratios like 7:1:1 as in red: blue: yellow theres a super nova panel. although expensive as shit im curious of its potential although there should be cheap LED panels but if ur curious bout it look into it for urself cuz i havent experienced with it first hand.

--------------------
:stalin: DOUBLE RAINBOW ALL THE WAYY!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQSNhk5ICTI

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
Re: Growing high grade bud, How hard is it? [Re: Jesus]
    #540764 - 03/27/11 05:11 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

IMO having grown several times with LED panels I don't think the technology is quite there yet. It is superior to most lighting systems for vegging, as the intense blue light keeps the plants extremely bushy with ridiculously tight internode distances. It seems to me that you need a crapton of money to afford enough LED wattage to get what you would normally get off of an affordable HID setup. I believe that the successful flowering of cannabis requires a full spectrum of light for subtle biological processes to occur, and the HID lighting system, particularly HPS bulbs match that spectrum closer than most other lighting systems out there.

LED definitely has potential...and I believe one day the technology will be affordable enough that some smart cannabis growers can start experimenting around with different wavelength combos and ratios.

anyway...you can check out my grows on here if you want to get an idea of the yield you can get off of LED systems...but there are a few other users that are supporters of LED systems, and they probably have much better grow logs than I :dumblol:

peace,
agmotes165

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

OfflineJesus
Male

Re: Growing high grade bud, How hard is it? [Re: Data]
    #540793 - 03/27/11 07:30 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

agmotes165 said:
IMO having grown several times with LED panels I don't think the technology is quite there yet. It is superior to most lighting systems for vegging, as the intense blue light keeps the plants extremely bushy with ridiculously tight internode distances. It seems to me that you need a crapton of money to afford enough LED wattage to get what you would normally get off of an affordable HID setup. I believe that the successful flowering of cannabis requires a full spectrum of light for subtle biological processes to occur, and the HID lighting system, particularly HPS bulbs match that spectrum closer than most other lighting systems out there.

LED definitely has potential...and I believe one day the technology will be affordable enough that some smart cannabis growers can start experimenting around with different wavelength combos and ratios.

anyway...you can check out my grows on here if you want to get an idea of the yield you can get off of LED systems...but there are a few other users that are supporters of LED systems, and they probably have much better grow logs than I :dumblol:

peace,
agmotes165

there are high intesity 6 spectrum LED lights on sale online not the full 7 spectrum.although i do think there is some 6500k lights on it

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals