Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinespace
Stranger

Growing high grade bud, How hard is it?
    #538966 - 03/22/11 04:03 PM (13 years, 5 hours ago)

If I didn't want to spend allot of money on HID lights and hydroponics.

I would get some good seeds, maybe white widow.

A 250 Watt cfl grow system, 6500k and then buying the 3500 when needed.

I have 4 nicely sized pots that I can fit in my closet, a timer and things to hang lights.

I guess my question is; just because you have good seeds and you treat you plants well with enough light, Should I expect to be able to grow some bomb ass bud? or do you think that it takes much more money and experience?

Just want to have a good amount of weed for me and a few friends, and don't want some nasty stuff thats like smoking schwag again.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
Re: Growing high grade bud, How hard is it? [Re: space]
    #538968 - 03/22/11 04:22 PM (13 years, 4 hours ago)

Good lights, good seeds, good nutrients, good grow medium (if soil).

It all adds up to good bud.

If you cut corners, your finished product will suffer. Simple as that.

Not that you CAN'T grow good bud with CFL's. Just make sure you have enough.

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Re: Growing high grade bud, How hard is it? [Re: RasJeph]
    #538970 - 03/22/11 04:23 PM (13 years, 4 hours ago)

Oh, and good care of course.

--------------------

Offlinespace
Stranger

Re: Growing high grade bud, How hard is it? [Re: RasJeph]
    #538973 - 03/22/11 04:33 PM (13 years, 4 hours ago)

Quote:

RasJeph said:

Cool, well I mine as well spend around $200 if not a little more.  CFL's seem like a good option for their efficiency and price.  Does 250Watts sound like a good amount for a cfl light growing 2 or 4 plants?

OfflineShaggy420
Male

#538976 - 03/22/11 04:54 PM (13 years, 4 hours ago)

are cfl's actually cooler than their HPS equivilent, only i read in many places that they both radiate the same amount of heat :confused:

--------------------

:Awemush::happyweed::fasted::happyweed::Awemush:

http://www.clear-uk.org/

Offlinespace
Stranger

Re: Growing high grade bud, How hard is it? [Re: Shaggy420]
    #538982 - 03/22/11 05:22 PM (13 years, 3 hours ago)

Quote:

TrippyStoner420 said:
are cfl's actually cooler than their HPS equivilent, only i read in many places that they both radiate the same amount of heat :confused:

I don't know but this made me think, I mine as well be safe and go HPS and MH.  That way I won't have to worry about moving the lights all the time.  $150 for, A 400watt HPS setup with a 400watt MH bulb for switching out later on.  $45 for seeds.  Plus a little bit for soil and ferts.  It will be a little while before I can buy the stuff though.

Edited by space (03/22/11 05:24 PM)

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger

Trusted Cultivator
    #538983 - 03/22/11 05:22 PM (13 years, 3 hours ago)

CFLs radiate more heat per watt since they have a lower lumen to watt ratio, everything else is heat as far as I know.

I would believe CFL's heat is easier to deal with since the bulbs have a lot of surface area and there's more bulbs distributed evenly over the canopy. If using a say 2 x 70w cfl ( I don't even know if they come in this size) vs a single 150w HPS you would probably have more heat issues with the CFL equivalent. I think running 10 x 42w cfls would be easier than a single 400w HPS in terms of heat management.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #538985 - 03/22/11 05:24 PM (13 years, 3 hours ago)

Quote:

space said:
Quote:

RasJeph said:

Cool, well I mine as well spend around $200 if not a little more.  CFL's seem like a good option for their efficiency and price.  Does 250Watts sound like a good amount for a cfl light growing 2 or 4 plants?

Yes, but more is always better. I usually recommend to people to go with about 100W (real watts, not incandescent equivalent) per plant at least. 150W would be even better.
Quote:

TrippyStoner420 said:

They generate more heat per watt than an HPS bulb. The difference is that an HPS bulb will be generating that heat from a single point, whereas 1000W of CFL will be spread out over a much larger area, minimizing intensity even if the total heat is greater.

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Growing high grade bud, How hard is it? [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #538986 - 03/22/11 05:24 PM (13 years, 3 hours ago)

Haha dammit, Maryanne literally took the words right out of my mouth. :lol:

--------------------

Offlinespace
Stranger

#538988 - 03/22/11 05:32 PM (13 years, 3 hours ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
Haha dammit, Maryanne literally took the words right out of my mouth. :lol:

haha, its twice as good coming from 2 people.

I'm either thinking about doing 2 plants with a 250 WATT HPS+MH that I can get for $127.  But I do have these fixtures that could be used 1 per plant.  They just look like they will shine strait down mostly ware an hps will be spread out more.  If they have 100Watt lights at homedepot for cheap like I remember I might go that rought.  Then I only need to get the growth stage lights first.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #538990 - 03/22/11 05:39 PM (13 years, 3 hours ago)

well if you were serious about finding a 400W HID setup for only $150 then I'd probably go that route. It'll be far easier to deal with wiring and whatnot, plus this way you can get a nice reflector instead of having to make one yourself.

CFL's can be really fun, but it takes some work to get a nice reflector and bulb array working. example;

http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/320025#320025
http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/251624#251624

--------------------

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

#538998 - 03/22/11 06:26 PM (13 years, 2 hours ago)

I veg with CFLs and have never really had unsatisfactory results with it. I veg 2-3 plants under about 150w of CFL. Obviously I don't have 5 gallon pots like you pro guys like to use, but it certainly takes care of my small-time personal setup.

I just recently picked up my 400w for $150. If you're looking at the HTGSupply one, do it up man, you won't be disappointed. Just make sure you have proper ventilation, thats my biggest issue right now (upgraded from a 150).

Edit: I should prolly clarify, under my 150w of veg CFL I veg for 1 month from the day the seed breaks soil, top once or twice depending upon how vigorous the growth was, and then switch to the HPS. I grow in 1 gallon or 1/2 gallon pots, depending on how large I want my finishing plant to be.

--------------------

Edited by RasJeph (03/22/11 06:28 PM)

OfflineShroomofdoom
Menace 2 Society
Male

Loc: Dark side of the moon
    #539009 - 03/22/11 07:12 PM (13 years, 2 hours ago)

If your lookin at a 400w hps id personally get a aircooled hood or a cooltube. Really worth it in the long run if your worried about heat. My friend just upgraded to a cooltube and he loves it. It will be a little extra cash but worth it. Later on you can look into a vortex inline fan and some venting to bring air over your bulb to cool it so you can get the light close and not have to worry bout heat. The inline fan will also help keep air moving in your closet.

Another thing, don't forget that you need to get fresh air into your closet. I'm not sure how big the closet is or anything, but plants need a lot of fresh air. Not sure if you are worried about being subtle about growing (parents, neighbors).

Just my 2 cents

Happy growing

Edited by Shroomofdoom (03/22/11 07:24 PM)

OfflineBigBudz
USA Mind Controls You!
 User Gallery

Loc: Oakland, CA USA Flag
    #539094 - 03/23/11 01:11 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Good genetics are nearly everywhere. Every strain today is pretty kick ass! Really all you need to do is care for your plant. If you get fox farms ocean forest, the soil does all the work for a couple months. Get a little extra's from the hydro store and then you are off!

--------------------
Art Music Music 2 Music 3

You are most likely being mind controlled if you live in the USA. The technology was discovered back in the late 1980's. You can easily see weird towers on government buildings...
http://www.cheniere.org/misc/sparkoflife.htm#mindcontrol

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Growing high grade bud, How hard is it? [Re: BigBudz]
    #539095 - 03/23/11 01:16 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quality has a lot to do with not overfertlizing, not burning (heat), and flushing considerably.

Genetics are important but nothing would piss me off more than digging into a bag of Haze or OG Kush or whatever that was grown poorly.

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Re: Growing high grade bud, How hard is it? [Re: maryanne3087]
    #539151 - 03/23/11 07:10 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

maryanne3087 said:
Quality has a lot to do with not overfertlizing

Learned that one the tough way this time around unfortunately :sad:

Every day is a learning experience though.

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #539172 - 03/23/11 08:57 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

CFL's seem like a good option for their efficiency and price.  Does 250Watts sound like a good amount for a cfl light growing 2 or 4 plants?

You are completely wrong about this. You are about to start your garden with a huge mistake. You can't compare HID lights to shitty cfs's (everybody knows how I feel about these pieces of garbage).

People constantly make the mistake of comparing a 250watt cfl to a 250watt HID. The light output from a 75watt HID light is as bright if not brighter then the light from the 250watt cfl. In order to get the light output of a 250watt HID light you would need at least 1500watts of cfl which takes us to the next mistake people make.
Cfl lights do not run cooler then HID for the amount of light put out. If you have a space lit up by a HID light lets say a 1000watt and it seems like the space is getting to hot so you decide to get cfl's in there place. I'm pretty sure that person would not want the amount of bud per harvest to go down so they need to keep same amount of light. In order to get that amount of light they would need at the least 7000 to 10000watts of cfl lights (actually the number is most likely quit a bit higher then that) just to get close the amount of light put out by the 1000watt light. Now the guys space is way hotter then it was before.

The only good thing about cfl lights is they can be put close to the plants for shot spaces and they are cheap.

I have never seen any garden any place that was grown with cfl lights that wouldn't have been done better if they would have used HIDs

This includes seedlings and cuttings.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinespace
Stranger
Re: Growing high grade bud, How hard is it? [Re: Magash]
    #539320 - 03/23/11 05:32 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

ok HID for sure then.  Turning in job applications, will get it on my first paycheck.  My closet is about 3x5x8.  So do you think 400watts is to much?  400 watts and 250 are nearly the same price, just 25 dollars different.  I can get a fan but theres no ac in my closet or ventilation.  I would like to use all 4 of my pots

Since my closet is taller rather than bigger I think I should get a mostly sativa stain.  It sounds like it will be a tripy fun high that I'll like anyways.  Has any one heard of Purple Power or Ice?

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

#539328 - 03/23/11 06:03 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Mines 3x5x8 too, I use a 400 and its a little bit lacking. I don't know if I could grow in the whole space.

--------------------

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Growing high grade bud, How hard is it? [Re: Magash]
    #539340 - 03/23/11 06:32 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Are you talking about initial lumens or canopy lumens?

You're trying to state as fact that HPS is 7-10x better at creating light than CFL per watt with a 1000w HPS as your standard for HID lighting.

1000w HPS = 130-145 000 initial lumens

Standard 32w CFL = 2100-2700 initial lumens

1000/32=31.25*2700=84375

so 1000w of CFLS with 2700 initial lumens per 32w would have a grand total of 84375 lumens. This however could easily be 55 000 lumens at the canopy level or so I assume since a CFL could be 1-2 cm away from the plant. At 2 feet away from the canopy a 1000w produces 35 000 lumens at 3 ft 15555 lumens. Whatever it is it sure doesn't sound like HPS produces 7-10+ times more light per watt than CFL. 1000w HPS produce 110 lumens per watt, 600ws produce 150 lumens per watt, and CFLs produce roughly 66-84 lumens per watt.

OfflineShroomofdoom
Menace 2 Society
Male

Loc: Dark side of the moon
    #539360 - 03/23/11 07:09 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I thought Lumens were just the amount of light visible to the eye.. I could be wrong here. I think magash is compareing the strength of the light rather than lumens.

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Re: Growing high grade bud, How hard is it? [Re: Shroomofdoom]
    #539361 - 03/23/11 07:14 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Good info is good info, but is confusing to ME so I'm sure its confusing to someone just starting out haha.

--------------------

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Growing high grade bud, How hard is it? [Re: Shroomofdoom]
    #539380 - 03/23/11 08:21 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Lumens are a measure of visible light.

More accurate comparison for plant use would be photosynthetically active radiation or PAR watts. This would be more of a comparison for specific bulb vs bulb as there are HPS with more blue or red/far red CFLs with different spectrums full specrum, 2700k (warm white), 6500k, etc. Each would have it's own distribution of light that could be graphed vs. a plant sensitivity curve giving you an idea of how much of the light produced by the bulb is used by the plants.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #539439 - 03/23/11 11:27 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

There are some botanists who don't even believe in the PAR way of thinking either. They posit that there are wavelengths outside the visible spectrum that are equally as important (In fact, many plants photosynthesize IR and Far IR).

However, lumens only measure light output detectable as reflect-able wavelengths for the human eye. The important thing to measure in order to quantify horticultural efficacy would be a combined unit of lumens and penetration intensity. I believe most often botanists use lux (or foot-candles, as the non-SI unit).  Although lumens give a good baseline to judge the power of a bulb, it's really just the illumination quantity, and not the actual light power.

--------------------

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

Loc: West Coast
    #540517 - 03/26/11 09:49 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

If I could turn back the clock, I would get the 400 watt HID.  CFL's have been great, and you can grow some potent bud, but you can grow more of it under a HID.  I'm currently on my last CFL grow.  GOOD LUCK!

--------------------
It looks like it's going to be another Gravity Bong type day...

OfflineJesus
Average Guy with a Cool Name
Male

Loc: A Cloud in the Heavens Flag
Re: Growing high grade bud, How hard is it? [Re: muse42]
    #540552 - 03/26/11 11:18 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

how about some new school LED light panels? ive looked into it blue for veg and red for flowering heard it works. curious though..

--------------------
:stalin: DOUBLE RAINBOW ALL THE WAYY!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQSNhk5ICTI

OfflineJesus
Male

Re: Growing high grade bud, How hard is it? [Re: Jesus]
    #540553 - 03/26/11 11:22 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Jesus said:
how about some new school LED light panels? ive looked into it blue for veg and red for flowering heard it works. curious though..

the blue spectrum of light if high intensity is what what need to vegatate and the red spectrum of light is what plants need to flower lolz and some people mix up ratios like 7:1:1 as in red: blue: yellow theres a super nova panel. although expensive as shit im curious of its potential although there should be cheap LED panels but if ur curious bout it look into it for urself cuz i havent experienced with it first hand.

--------------------
:stalin: DOUBLE RAINBOW ALL THE WAYY!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQSNhk5ICTI

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
Re: Growing high grade bud, How hard is it? [Re: Jesus]
    #540764 - 03/27/11 05:11 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

IMO having grown several times with LED panels I don't think the technology is quite there yet. It is superior to most lighting systems for vegging, as the intense blue light keeps the plants extremely bushy with ridiculously tight internode distances. It seems to me that you need a crapton of money to afford enough LED wattage to get what you would normally get off of an affordable HID setup. I believe that the successful flowering of cannabis requires a full spectrum of light for subtle biological processes to occur, and the HID lighting system, particularly HPS bulbs match that spectrum closer than most other lighting systems out there.

LED definitely has potential...and I believe one day the technology will be affordable enough that some smart cannabis growers can start experimenting around with different wavelength combos and ratios.

anyway...you can check out my grows on here if you want to get an idea of the yield you can get off of LED systems...but there are a few other users that are supporters of LED systems, and they probably have much better grow logs than I :dumblol:

peace,
agmotes165

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

OfflineJesus
Male

Re: Growing high grade bud, How hard is it? [Re: Data]
    #540793 - 03/27/11 07:30 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

agmotes165 said:
IMO having grown several times with LED panels I don't think the technology is quite there yet. It is superior to most lighting systems for vegging, as the intense blue light keeps the plants extremely bushy with ridiculously tight internode distances. It seems to me that you need a crapton of money to afford enough LED wattage to get what you would normally get off of an affordable HID setup. I believe that the successful flowering of cannabis requires a full spectrum of light for subtle biological processes to occur, and the HID lighting system, particularly HPS bulbs match that spectrum closer than most other lighting systems out there.

LED definitely has potential...and I believe one day the technology will be affordable enough that some smart cannabis growers can start experimenting around with different wavelength combos and ratios.

anyway...you can check out my grows on here if you want to get an idea of the yield you can get off of LED systems...but there are a few other users that are supporters of LED systems, and they probably have much better grow logs than I :dumblol:

peace,
agmotes165

there are high intesity 6 spectrum LED lights on sale online not the full 7 spectrum.although i do think there is some 6500k lights on it

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order