Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFletcher Carnaby
Stranger

LED Lights - Need Advice on Which to Buy and How to Use
    #741648 - 07/27/14 06:29 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I haven't cultivated indoors for years and because of circumstances a new setup will require LEDs.

Right now I'm looking at a 300 watt fixture made by Platinum Series Lights. I'm considering it for two reasons: 1) good customer reviews, and 2) a 90 day satisfaction or return guarantee.

Any advice on whether this would be a good buy (or any advice on anything LED related) would be greatly appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: LED Lights - Need Advice on Which to Buy and How to Use [Re: Fletcher Carnaby]
    #741656 - 07/27/14 07:25 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Phyco will chime in on this soon I'm sure.  He's the local LED expert.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: LED Lights - Need Advice on Which to Buy and How to Use [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #741697 - 07/27/14 09:20 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

That is a cheaper knock off of Advanced LED's Diamond series. I wouldn't order that based on a few things, one they're trying to copy a design, and are probably the eshine made version, which Advanced LED dropped as a supplier for quality issues. It might be a good light, but for all extensive purposes its a cheap generic knock off. IF they were using 'top quality' LED's they would know to say 'top bin' LED's as that actually is the best quality, not just a marketing term.

Get it out of your head that they are trying to sell you a 300w light. That is the Diamond Series 200w DS200 knock off which runs 185 watts. The area coverage they claim is MUCH larger than what it really covers, even going beyond what Advanced LED recommends for veg. Notice they even use the same model number when their platinum series should be PS200, or rather PS300 the way they deceive you.) They're calling 100 "3w" diodes 300w, but the real matter is there is no such thing as a real 3w diode, that too is a shady term, they run at a max of ~2w no matter who uses them.

Its hit or miss, I'd never order just because the market is flooded with these cheap ass knock off fixtures. Plus the way they market it to you is complete bullshit. Probably not giving you the top bin LED's for that price, leaves too little room for profit. Ask them where you need to send the light to to get it fixed in the warranty period? if they say China tell them to go stuff themselves.

I'd recommend Advanced LED's newest generation of lighting, the XTE series, which is replacing the Diamond Series. Its currently coming to market, so it might not actually be for sale for the next few days/weeks, but well worth waiting for. Even the Diamond Series which is pretty damn good is 2011 technology, this is now 2014 technology with the new series. PLUS the biggest sway to the new light is the modular LED's make it more sustainable so that when one light goes out you don't need to replace them all, just swap out a module with new diodes.

Its a bit more expensive going through a reputable vendor, but they are watching the manufacturer to make sure they keep producing the highest quality light with the highest quality components. $549 for the XTE200, which is comparable to the one your looking at, but should be the BEST or near best you can get at the moment.

The real question is what size area are you trying to cover?

Advanced LED's Diamond Series DS200 is 3'x3.5 veg, 2.5'x3' flower, which are realistic numbers.
The knock off you posted claims 4.5'x3.8', which is a fucking if you tried to cover that large of an area to grow bud.

Maybe if you were growing lettuce, but your trying to grow the most highest demand plants out there, your gonna want the highest quality light you can get. The case might be the same, the design might be the same, but the insides are not the same. Advanced LED is catering to the high-demand growers, generic-led is catering to anyone dumb enough to buy their light.

Like I said, you might stumble upon that great generic that rocks, but the problem is that if you try and go cheap, you usually end up wasting ALL the money you spent on LED's.

Another brand I like is Grow-Blu the 120x3 (360watts actual draw) covers a 2x3 area, comparable to the other lights, but I'd still bet on the XTE that's coming out as the best choice.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Offlinechris606
Stranger

Re: LED Lights - Need Advice on Which to Buy and How to Use [Re: phychotron]
    #742193 - 07/30/14 06:17 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

look in to Mars II 1600W LED  if you wont to see some  grow logs I will give thim to you in pm

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: LED Lights - Need Advice on Which to Buy and How to Use [Re: chris606]
    #742215 - 07/30/14 09:12 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

If your talking about this mars II 1600w, I'd say forget it. I would seriously advise no one to buy a light like this. When the one diode breaks the whole thing breaks. Plus its a super inflated wattage that it does not actually draw, probably about half that in real life.  What kind of heat sink? non sustainable design.

You can post some grow logs here....

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by phychotron (07/30/14 10:04 PM)

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

#742267 - 07/31/14 05:32 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

September high times was just put up on torrent today and shows 2 as the best of 2014. Kind LED's K3 L600 $900 and G8LED systems from Dorm Grow $300-$1200

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: LED Lights - Need Advice on Which to Buy and How to Use [Re: Midgetpawn]
    #742268 - 07/31/14 05:41 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

High times is a piece of shit, that bases things like that on how much the company is paying them to get on those lists.  Anyone who has been growing for any amount of time doesn't consider them a source for any credible reports on equipment.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlinewebster10

Re: LED Lights - Need Advice on Which to Buy and How to Use [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #742269 - 07/31/14 06:08 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Didn't they say that a good flushing method was to take the plant out of soil, clean the roots off and stick it in water for a few days? :ducklol: Yeah even noobs know that high times is shit lol.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #742306 - 07/31/14 12:02 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

That Kind LED is very pricey for an LED that size. Pulling about 300watts instead of the 600 they want to claim. First off try the math, 150x3=450, not 600watts, secondly "3 watt" diodes only use about 2 watts each. GrowBlu has the 120x3 and 180x3 for $549 and $749 respectively. The Kind would be a 150x3 and cost $900. But that's the cost of advertising in High Times. 

The G8 I can tell is garbage by the fans from the back of the fixture. That photo they use SCREAMS cheap LED. Its a dorm room investment, so sure, you might now want to buy the most expensive if doing something you might get caught with. Also don't need the life span for 3 years if you just need bud in a dorm room. Basically disposable and not going to give you the best performance. Don't expect it to last past your dorm days. Those are comparable to the Blackstar fixtures, which I have a pile of broke one's sitting around. One diode goes and takes out half the fixture with it--The importance of having a real heat sink.

--------------------

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

#742437 - 07/31/14 10:26 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

well the main motivation for suggesting those LED was the assumption that they are new, but I have a lot of problems with high times and probably shouldn't even mention them. I do like to check out the shared digital copies though.

Is there a big reason induction lighting isn't more popular? cost? it seems almost better than LED

Invisibleoeric mckenna
Pure Indica

Loc: Mars
    #742459 - 08/01/14 04:55 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I have 2 fixtures of  Cali based "dirt genius" 280w UV full spectrum flowering units.
They're only 146$ each w free shipping. They're pretty impressive, well built, run cool.
Plants go nuts under them. Hard buds. I noticed tho, the buds have less of a scent for whatever reason compared to HPS.... still tasty tho
  Always guard your eyes around these lights...

--------------------
***Handing someone your life's work....in a single seed = :laugh: ***

HIGHER THAN A GEORGIA PINE

Oeric's Winter Grow Projects

Invisibleoeric mckenna
Pure Indica

Re: LED Lights - Need Advice on Which to Buy and How to Use [Re: oeric mckenna]
    #742460 - 08/01/14 04:57 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=211911 here's a nice collection of LED grows with a gpw listing...

--------------------

InvisibleJollyGreenJRayV
Mister
Male
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: North America
    #742508 - 08/01/14 03:29 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

From 2011....

Invisibleoeric mckenna
Pure Indica

Re: LED Lights - Need Advice on Which to Buy and How to Use [Re: JollyGreenJRayV]
    #742518 - 08/01/14 05:56 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

A grow is a grow

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #742529 - 08/01/14 07:43 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

3 years of technology growth is a HUGE amount of time.  Making the lights in that grow log, more than likely obsolete.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #742564 - 08/01/14 11:29 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Those aren't the best representations of LED's on the market. Like the first one posted got a huge gpw amount but it was spread out over a larger area, giving smaller plants that were not very dense. Not a good light for dense nuggets or plants, but good for the SOG that he did. However he would have better results if he used more light, but bringing down the GPW while doing it.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #742575 - 08/02/14 03:25 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

OH and it was last updated 2013, so its got some newer lights up but a lot of those are still showing their age.

--------------------

OfflineFletcher Carnaby
Stranger

#742957 - 08/05/14 06:01 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the info on the XTE and Grow-Blu lights, but the research I've done says Lumigrow is the only way to go. But are they ever expensive!

Your thoughts?

Invisibleoeric mckenna
Pure Indica

Re: LED Lights - Need Advice on Which to Buy and How to Use [Re: Fletcher Carnaby]
    #743030 - 08/05/14 08:54 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah I just thought that was a neat collection.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #743042 - 08/05/14 11:09 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Lumigrow seems alright, but very overpriced for what you get. I'd never buy one.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder