Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
whats the point of underpowering your LED diodes?
    #719257 - 03/04/14 04:30 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

so, this is mainly for Psychotron, but I figured it would be best to have the discussion open for everyone to see.

I'm talking to this guy on fb who's trying to push his "1200w" LED's... Well, 600w... Well, they round that up from 580... lol. But the fixture uses 5w led diodes. Why would they use more expensive diodes and underpower them like that??

--------------------
My best run so far

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHipsterDoofus
Dude
Male
Re: whats the point of underpowering your LED diodes? [Re: Tank333]
    #719258 - 03/04/14 04:38 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

to extend the life of the diode.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: whats the point of underpowering your LED diodes? [Re: HipsterDoofus]
    #719267 - 03/04/14 07:00 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

There is actually no such thing as a 3w diode. Diodes are rated in amps, so it averages out that those "3w" diodes are really 2w diodes. 5W diodes these days are mostly over-driven 3w diodes.

For advertisement purposes, they call the diodes 3w, then calculate the wattage based on a bullshit number. So like the DS400 I have is 200x3w, which they *could* advertise it as a 600w fixture. Because people who are serious about LED's don't use that calculated wattage I tend to avoid anyone who uses that fake calculation.  Many fixtures draw about 1/2 - 2/3rds the wattage-model-naming convention they use.

The cheaper fixtures WILL under drive their diodes in order not put a heat sink inside. Otherwise they will heat up too much and burn out too fast. Plus the "lower bin" diodes need to be driven at a lower current and produce less light. The "top bin" diodes tend to run brighter with less electricity and cooler, but cost more.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: whats the point of underpowering your LED diodes? [Re: phychotron]
    #719276 - 03/04/14 07:47 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Interesting. Well, they guy says there's 240 5w leds, but it pulls 580w. I counted the diodes in their product's pitcure, and there ARE 240 of em. It also says it has a large heat sink and 4 fans to cool it with...

--------------------
My best run so far

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: whats the point of underpowering your LED diodes? [Re: Tank333]
    #719316 - 03/05/14 05:24 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Well the math really doesn't add up. Its pulling 2.4w/diode including fans. Most 3w fixtures pull about 2w/diode with fans. I'm not sure if he's just over loading them or under powering the higher power diodes. I'm looking at the Advance LED new veg light that uses 5w diodes and (from what I can tell) they're pulling about 4w/diodes with fans.

I'm no expert on the wattage though, so its really hard to tell. Like I said, the diode wattage is a made up number to begin with.

A lot of people custom order from china and want to start selling them so that they can pay for the ones they use. Some know how to order them to good specs, others don't. Its hard to listen to anyone pushing a generic light because of that. Unless they have a reputation for lights that produce then its a risk purchasing them.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: whats the point of underpowering your LED diodes? [Re: phychotron]
    #719317 - 03/05/14 05:28 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I'm looking at the Black Dog Platinum and they're claiming 5w diodes that are running at ~2.5w/diode with fans.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order