Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBeepBeepGuy
Stranger

What is the point of not using feminized seeds?
    #715636 - 02/16/14 02:35 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Being that unless you are trying to produce seeds you have to weed out males whats the point of using seeds that aren't feminized?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblethedrake
N00B
Male User Gallery

Re: What is the point of not using feminized seeds? [Re: BeepBeepGuy]
    #715641 - 02/16/14 02:49 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

i think one reason is that with some breeders there is hermie risks with fem seeds.

--------------------

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: What is the point of not using feminized seeds? [Re: thedrake]
    #715643 - 02/16/14 02:51 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

With MOST breeders there is risk of hermie.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineBeepBeepGuy
Stranger

Re: What is the point of not using feminized seeds? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #715674 - 02/16/14 04:46 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

What is hermie?

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

Re: What is the point of not using feminized seeds? [Re: BeepBeepGuy]
    #715687 - 02/16/14 05:28 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

BeepBeepGuy said:
What is hermie?

Guessing then that you don't know how feminized seeds are actually produced.  "hermie" is just an affectionate term for when the plant grows both male and female flowers, which enable it to pollinate itself in dire ecological situations.  Supposed to be short for hermaphrodite but it's actually called something else that slips my mind at the moment.

If I'm not mistaken, "feminized" seeds can be created by taking a confirmed female and exposing them to controlled conditions to force them to pollinate themselves, which would leave out the chromosome the male would have contributed that in turn makes all the seeds female.  (like if women could procreate without a Y chromosome being involved, there'd be no males.)  Pretty sure you could do this yourself by giving them about an hour of light in the middle of their dark period during flowering, or something similar.  Probably not the best method but assuming you don't want to mess with silver nitrate or whatever it is.

Needless to say though, I could see why you'd be at increased risk for your plant to herm with feminized seeds, since the genetics that created the seeds must have been at least a bit inclined to or you wouldn't have seeds in the first place. 

Some strains are sturdier than others, mileage may vary. 

:shrug:

Edited by Inocuole (02/16/14 06:19 PM)

OfflineBeepBeepGuy
Stranger

Re: What is the point of not using feminized seeds? [Re: Inocuole]
    #715705 - 02/16/14 06:24 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for the info!

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #715792 - 02/16/14 09:47 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Inocuole said:
Quote:

BeepBeepGuy said:
What is hermie?

Guessing then that you don't know how feminized seeds are actually produced.  "hermie" is just an affectionate term for when the plant grows both male and female flowers, which enable it to pollinate itself in dire ecological situations.  Supposed to be short for hermaphrodite but it's actually called something else that slips my mind at the moment.

If I'm not mistaken, "feminized" seeds can be created by taking a confirmed female and exposing them to controlled conditions to force them to pollinate themselves, which would leave out the chromosome the male would have contributed that in turn makes all the seeds female.  (like if women could procreate without a Y chromosome being involved, there'd be no males.)  Pretty sure you could do this yourself by giving them about an hour of light in the middle of their dark period during flowering, or something similar.  Probably not the best method but assuming you don't want to mess with silver nitrate or whatever it is.

Needless to say though, I could see why you'd be at increased risk for your plant to herm with feminized seeds, since the genetics that created the seeds must have been at least a bit inclined to or you wouldn't have seeds in the first place. 

Some strains are sturdier than others, mileage may vary. 

:shrug:

This info is somewhat wrong.
What you're doing here is making hermies. The method your using is somewhat similar to the method that Soma uses and he has some of the worst feminized seeds on earth. You want to use the method you describe but once those plants show male flowers they are throne out. The plants that show no male flowers are used. Then those plants are forced using the (as you said) silver nitrate. When done right meaning stress test the plants first and use ones that don't produce male flowers under stress will give the same percentage of hermies as regular seeds.

Making feminized seeds is not a natural process and there is no way to do it reliably organically.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

Re: What is the point of not using feminized seeds? [Re: Magash]
    #715811 - 02/17/14 12:22 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, the way I mentioned could only at best produce seeds slightly less lightly to herm than regular seeds are to be male.  Which should most certainly be different from what you'd get if you actually purchased feminized seeds.  But, you never know.  I don't want to fuck with silver nitrate or make feminized seeds in the first place so I probably won't ever do more research into it than I already have.

:themoreyouknow:

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #715814 - 02/17/14 01:07 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Inocuole said:
Yeah, the way I mentioned could only at best produce seeds slightly less lightly to herm than regular seeds are to be male.  Which should most certainly be different from what you'd get if you actually purchased feminized seeds.  But, you never know.  I don't want to fuck with silver nitrate or make feminized seeds in the first place so I probably won't ever do more research into it than I already have.

:themoreyouknow:

Actually look into it a little. The silver nitrate method is easy to do and as long as you don't smoke it (which you would have to be a complete idiot) it's pretty much harmless. Really is easy to do and it's the best way to save some loved genetics for a long time if you really needed to. With fems you get way less phenos and the plants all grow much more uniform then from regular seeds.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

Re: What is the point of not using feminized seeds? [Re: Magash]
    #715816 - 02/17/14 01:13 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

So is a feminized seed really more of a clone in seed form than anything, when done properly?

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #715817 - 02/17/14 01:21 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Inocuole said:
So is a feminized seed really more of a clone in seed form than anything, when done properly?

Pretty much. Esp if you consider that you can spray a branch on a plant and pollinate the rest of it with the pollen from that branch.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds