Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleDoPeYsMuRf

Feminized seeds.
    #446094 - 07/13/10 10:11 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

So whats the deal with these seeds? I understand them in theory but don't know if it works exactly like I think.

So basically its just shifting around it's own gene pool so really wouldn't the seeds represent a pretty close replica of the mother?

I'm sure cloning is the best because you have a pure exact copy.

Only downside to them I see is the chance for them to hermie after awhile if you decide to keep a mother for a few years.

What's your guys thoughts on feminized seeds? Do they accurately represent the mother or are they noticeably different?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Feminized seeds. [Re: DoPeYsMuRf]
    #446098 - 07/13/10 10:28 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Only downside to them I see is the chance for them to hermie after awhile if you decide to keep a mother for a few years.

How do you gather this? I'd suspect a mother to die after a a year if not recloned or trimmed down. I don't personally keep mothers but know it's common practice to prune roots, trim down foliage, and even reclone the plant once a year.

Quote:

So whats the deal with these seeds? I understand them in theory but don't know if it works exactly like I think.

Two female plants are taken, one female plant is stressed via chemicals, irratic light cycles, by excess flowering time, etc to produce pollen sacs. Pollen fertilizes the female plant.

Females are XX and Males are XY (sex chromosomes) since both parents are female the children lack Y chromosomes thus making it "impossible" for them to be males.

Quote:

So basically its just shifting around it's own gene pool so really wouldn't the seeds represent a pretty close replica of the mother?

What you're describing is a S1 or a selfed copy of a single plant. This is basically where a single female plant is used for making female seeds and no other genes are introduced. All of the alleles of the mother are present in the S1 generation but exact allele combination is different.

For example say for two traits you have taste and aroma. For this given example the taste will be represented by two dominant alleles (TT) and for Aroma one dominant allele and one recessive allele.

TT and Aa (mother) x TT and Aa ("father") these can recombine in different fashions thus creating a different phenotype. There are also many traits and inherent weaknesses to a plant which can become more apparent in the S1 variation.

The same sort of issue with phenotype expression happens when back crossing many times. It makes the genotype more pure to the parent being bred to but the combination to create the same phenotype still needs to be found.

I'm not a geneticist but I think this is fairly accurate. This wikipedia page on dihybrid crosses will illustrate the issue of phenotypic expression better.  Dihyrbidcross = cross for two traits (keep in mind their are MANY)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punnet_square#Dihybrid_cross

OfflineLucid
Monster Plant Creator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada-ish. Flag
Re: Feminized seeds. [Re: maryanne3087]
    #446102 - 07/13/10 10:58 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

maryanne3087 said:
Quote:

How do you gather this? I'd suspect a mother to die after a a year if not recloned or trimmed down. I don't personally keep mothers but know it's common practice to prune roots, trim down foliage, and even reclone the plant once a year.

:horly:

Edited by Lucid (07/14/10 10:28 AM)

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Feminized seeds. [Re: Lucid]
    #446111 - 07/13/10 11:12 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

No.

The genetics have been rumored to be kept for 20+ years that doesn't go to say that the actual original plant dating back 20 years consisting of  foliage+stems (above ground parts) and the root system are the same. That is to say 20 years ago someone thought this Skunk plant would make a good mother and has maintained the genetics through a series of maintenance involving trimming of the roots, foliage, stems/branches and eventually but inevitably recloning the plant.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds