Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineemlorraine
Stranger
 User Gallery
HELP - how to support my top heavy plants?
    #710798 - 01/31/14 02:51 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

hey everyone,

im new to this growing thing and im on my second run. i've done okay so far but am struggling with the plant support as they get bigger. i've been using the bamboo but its very hard to work with because its far too tall for my plants and its hitting lights, fans, etc. its not allowing me to lower my lights to get more light to the whole plant. i was also told by a friend that your bamboo can hold mites and other bugs. is this true?

i saw in the store a product called ultimate plant cage. seems it will solve my issues. has anyone used one before or can tell me whether it really works? i found the following clip on youtube which shows it: h[url=ttp://youtu.be/9rKBGysjUAI ]ttp://youtu.be/9rKBGysjUAI[/url]

seems like such a great idea just want to check with the experts before i go buy some. any advice would be appreciated. thanks!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: HELP - how to support my top heavy plants? [Re: emlorraine]
    #710802 - 01/31/14 03:10 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Just cut the bamboo to a length that is appropriate for the height you need.  I have never had issues with bamboo and pests.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Invisiblenight trainV
Male

Loc: Midwest, US
Re: HELP - how to support my top heavy plants? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #710805 - 01/31/14 03:19 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Just cut the bamboo to a length that is appropriate for the height you need.  I have never had issues with bamboo and pests.

:thumbup:

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: HELP - how to support my top heavy plants? [Re: night train]
    #710819 - 01/31/14 04:28 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Feed the plants silica and it will help keep the branches rigid so they don't just flop over where you tie them. Sometimes you won't even need bamboo.  I believe silica is the best additive you can use, it adds a lot of strength to the plant and keeps it more resistant from bugs/mold and heartier against heat/cold stress.

I'm trying to get away from the bamboo but its impossible, plants almost always need some extra support. My only concern is that they rot and start to get moldy but I've never had a problem because of that.  Been using large tomato cages with the top ring cut off recently, they're cheap in the spring time and work well, giving you a lot of support around the entire plant. The rings allow for tying branches to it without slipping down the poles.

You can get the green plastic poles that are a little more permanent but cost more. The bamboo is so cheap its easy to just replace when it gets old. Eventually you'll cut so many in half that you need to pick up another pack or two just to get the longer sticks, then you'll have a really good stockpile around with all different sizes.  I like to dry them out between uses to keep them in decent shape for longer.

Staking a plant up can be an art form, don't wait until they NEED to be supported, its a pain in the ass working with the plant full flower. Do it no later than 2-3 weeks into flower once the stretch is done and you'll save yourself a lot of heartache in the future.    Which reminds me... I need to do that tonight.

That url doesn't work but I found it. Its way too fancy for what it is. The retractable poles are nice but you shouldn't need to stake your plants up when they're growing, only when the bud comes in. You won't always need that perfectly even spacing the poles have, and will probably have to supplement with some bamboo eventually. Plus I question the durability of those poles as well. 

Feed silica, then wait until the stretch is done to stake it up with bamboo--easiest option.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: HELP - how to support my top heavy plants? [Re: phychotron]
    #710822 - 01/31/14 05:13 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Just to throw this out there.  Even with silica, I have never had a plant that didn't need support.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
    #710829 - 01/31/14 05:54 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Just to throw this out there.  Even with silica, I have never had a plant that didn't need support.

--------------------
"Marijuana may not be addictive, but growing it is" - ED Rosenthal

Maine Caregiver In 100% compliance with Maine state laws.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #710830 - 01/31/14 05:56 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Which silica are you using? Try the Dyna-gro pro-silicate at 6% and see how that works. Some plants get to where you try and push the center branch over and instead of the branch bending the whole pot will tip. The rigid branches are springy not limpy when moving them around, and when you try to pinch the stem to keep them from stretching it can be fairly difficult just getting it to smash.  It makes the plant want to retain its structure and keeps the bend out of the branchs. The taller and further out it is the more it needs to be staked up, but silica puts in a lot of the work keeping the plant upright.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #710831 - 01/31/14 05:59 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

My stems are never limp dude.  I've used that one, saw no difference in the results between it and silica blast.  The stems are strong and the whole thing will try to fall over.  The buds just get to big man.  It has nothing to do with weak and wimpy stems.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #710839 - 01/31/14 07:10 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

They won't be soft if your using silica. Thats why it works so well and requires less work/stakes. The outward force gets translated down the stem instead of all along the stem. Eventually it gives out from weight and starts to sag, but the branch does it more as a unit, not as bends through the entire branch. Its easier to support the entire branch at one point, just keeping it from falling, not having to worry about bending and buckling under stress.

I said sometimes you can go without stakes, it is possible. You generally always need to stake the plants up, but silica is doing a lot to keep the plant as straight as possible. If you ever go back to not using it you'll notice a huge difference. I'm sure your silica works just fine, I was just going on about how great silica is.

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #710865 - 01/31/14 11:01 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

When did I ever say they were soft dude?  I stated point blank that the whole thing is what ends up falling over.  I feel like were having issues in communication right now :facepalm:

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: HELP - how to support my top heavy plants? [Re: Hawksresurrection] * 2
    #710894 - 02/01/14 09:40 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

What makes you think everything I said was directed at you?

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #710912 - 02/01/14 03:09 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Um, by the reply feature???

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

#710917 - 02/01/14 03:25 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Could always just put a tall rod in the pot and tie strings from it to the drooping buds. Not sure if this is a good idea, but it seems like it would work. Actually you could just use plant ties and tie one side of the plant to the other, couldn't you?

I hear silica also helps prevent heat damage. For 12$ total I ordered a sampler pack from mad farmer(makes moab) that has 8oz silica in it. Has 5 other things too. Also greensand is supposed to be a natural silicate.

apparently this strain truepower og is a heavy leaner.

Edited by Midgetpawn (02/02/14 01:59 AM)

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #710918 - 02/01/14 03:33 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

you should know better than that

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #710938 - 02/01/14 04:59 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

And you should know how to reply :cookiemonster:

Or at least quote if you are going to respond to multiple people in the same post.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #710967 - 02/01/14 08:18 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

While I WAS responding to you, but still going on about silica... I thought I mentioned that.

--------------------

Offlineemlorraine
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #711230 - 02/03/14 11:09 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for your input. Yea that was the video link I was trying to share.

I'm just worried about cutting my bamboo and when you use it for future runs you you will be using stakes that have been taking on water and sometimes flipped around up near the buds and being a good spot for bugs to hide. Water and wood just don't really mix well especially when I'm trying to have a clean growing environment. I almost feel like throwing out the bamboo each time which is why I like the look the ultimate plant cages.

I'm going to order one or a few and give it a try on my next run and see how hard it is to use vs just using bamboo. I will try report back here.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: HELP - how to support my top heavy plants? [Re: emlorraine]
    #712178 - 02/06/14 03:10 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Heres a prime example of not needing any bamboo. My first grapegod, from the only seed I ordered.

6.6 oz and plenty top heavy

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #712311 - 02/06/14 07:56 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

6.6 oz for the total plant?  I guess the difference is I get about a half pound per plant.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
    #712321 - 02/06/14 08:09 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

for led's that's a solid yield. Nice lookin plant phychotron :thumbup:

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
I guess the difference is I get about a half pound per plant.

I'm sorry you can only pull a half pound off a plant using hid's. That sucks man.

--------------------
"Marijuana may not be addictive, but growing it is" - ED Rosenthal

Maine Caregiver In 100% compliance with Maine state laws.

Edited by Farmer Joe (02/06/14 08:10 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates