Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

Loc: CANADA
Yellow "Dots" on edges of leaves, small plants from seed
    #299668 - 10/18/09 03:06 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

1. Are you growing from seed or clones?

Seed.

2. How old are your plants?

1 Week.

3. How tall are your plants?

1" to 2.5"

4. What size containers are they planted in?

4" Containers

5. What is your soil mix?

Jiffy Pot Starter cups, expanded 3-4 per pot.  Contains Sphagum Peat Moss only.

6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use?

Initial watering only, medium is damp imho still and I mist watered today, day 7.  I use tap water that sits for 24 hours.

7. What is the pH of your water?

Unsure.

8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio?

None.  Plan to use Fish Emulsion 5-1-1.  Perhaps N Def if problem and I should lightly feed them now.  Had planned to begin feeding once I replanted them to the 2 gallon containers. 

9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything?

Nope.

10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights")

2 T-12 40 watt bulbs with 6500Kelvin and 2350 Lumens each.

11. How close are your lights to the plants?

1" to 2" away.  See pics.

12. What size is your grow space in square feet?

3' X 2' - small starter.

13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space?

Temperature is 77 - 79F and humidity 40-60 degrees.

14. What is the pH of the soil?

Unsure.

15. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space?

Fruit Flys near the plants on a bamboo plant.  Killed most of them when I noticed them.  Considering to move or spray the bamboo plant if I see more.

16. How much experience do you have growing?

Limited but I learn fast and have a relatives with a lot of experience.

Might have some issues here.  Yellow spots appearing on plants after 1 week of growing under conditions described above.  Posting pics and also pics of the initial setup:

Also, getting some "green" moss/mold growth on the top of the soil.  Should I be worried about this?  I plan to transplant in a week into a proper soil recipe though.  You can see the slight greening on the soil in the pics as well.

I have read over the posts about "what is wrong with my plants" and I conclude we either have too much nutes from the jiffy pot seedling mix I used to create they initial potting soil (wont do that again, from now on I make my own using recipes posted here) or a PH imbalance...planning to test the PH tomorrow.

UPDATE:  The Jiffy Pots were merely Sphagum Peat Moss only.  So no Nutes included.  Perhaps problem is N Def.

Note...other than the initial watering they got when planted, I have never watered them.  I do not believe they need water yet, the soil still seems slightly moist to me, using dipstick testing also shows me moisture in the planting medium.  Also, I do not believe it is any kind of burning from the flo lights, they are far enough away from them...I think.

Any ideas?  I plan to do nothing different this week other than watch them and see how the yellow dots progress or go away.

Can fruit flys cause this damage?  I have had some fruit flies nearby on a bamboo plant I have killed recently.  But I doubt they all would get these spots so quickly, every plant so evenly from flies.

Any advice is appreciated.

--------------------
"I never post unless high.  Well that does explain a lot then."

"The best part about going to sleep each night is knowing that my plants will have grown more when I wake up in the morning."

"I smoked it then I became so tired that my eyes shut down automatically without my consent" - My Chinese GF, Oct 23, 2009 :smile:

Starting your first GROW, things you should ask/answer before you do

Current Grow Journal

Edited by Azyle00 (10/18/09 04:19 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
Re: Yellow "Dots" on edges of leaves, small plants from seed [Re: Azyle00]
    #299872 - 10/18/09 08:43 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Need to ck your pH

And
get better draining soil. That green mold can be bad for plants and not good for humans to breath.

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

Re: Yellow "Dots" on edges of leaves, small plants from seed [Re: KaptKid]
    #300246 - 10/19/09 01:40 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Replanted into a proper medium and checked PH, now 6.5.

Hoping it will correct the problem.  The roots were searching the bottom of the containers already and I suspect the issue was lack of nutrients already since the medium I had used for planting had none.

New soil is 60% peat, 35% Perlite and 5% goodies for Nutrients, Mag etc, all the stuff it requires at proper levels according to information from the experts on this site.

--------------------

"The best part about going to sleep each night is knowing that my plants will have grown more when I wake up in the morning."

"I smoked it then I became so tired that my eyes shut down automatically without my consent" - My Chinese GF, Oct 23, 2009 :smile:

Current Grow Journal

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

#303016 - 10/24/09 12:24 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Nothing but net!

After repotting them, there has been no further damage and the plants are at the third node now.  So I went ahead and germinated and planted 10 Early Wonder Skunk (Solar Warrior) seeds in my new soil medium mix and hit 10 for 10 sprouts.

I also bought a meter that does PH, Lumens and Moisture which so far is a serious help in double checking everything and without the soil moisture device, I would have watered a few days ago as I was sure they would need it by now, but it tells me they are still not ready for any water and the plants sure look like they are happy happy happy!

Mold is all gone as well.  That was simply a fault of the old peat having too much moisture allowing that shit to grow.

--------------------

Current Grow Journal

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #303055 - 10/24/09 01:36 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

actually, the green mold you're seeing is likely trichoderma which is an extremely beneficial symbiont for plants growing in soil.

--------------------

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

Re: Yellow "Dots" on edges of leaves, small plants from seed [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #303088 - 10/24/09 02:37 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Really?  Hmm.  Well I removed some and mixed the top inch of the soil.

If it appears again, I won't worry as much then.

However, the appearance of the mold was a good clue that I was using incorrect soil and drainage was a problem and soil way too wet for too long.  Seem to have a much better handle on soil and moisture etc now though.

Thanks for the info.

--------------------

Current Grow Journal

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #303135 - 10/24/09 04:01 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

when the light comes back on I'll show you my medium. I'm growing in 100% perlite and I always end up with a nice brown little tint to the perlite after only a week or so. bacteria, protists and fungi are almost always extremely beneficial to plants. almost half of soil by weight is bacteria and viruses anyway, so you'll never get rid of them no matter how hard you try.
One of my professors told us that in one gram of soil (about .5cm^3) you can find over 10^8 bacterial cells, and nearly triple that many viruses

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds