Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblebEelzeBosS
Are my eyes red?

Question about light intensity
    #700890 - 12/20/13 07:37 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

When adjusting the light intensity from your ballast, is it essential to adjust at the same exact time(s) every day, or is it ok if you're within an hour or two?

--------------------
:firecum:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTribalSeed
SoulJah

Loc: Babylon
Re: Question about light intensity [Re: bEelzeBosS]
    #700902 - 12/20/13 08:47 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

I just asked a similar question in the grow room forum and hawk said that keeping it at a 100% all the time is fine, just make sure the light is the proper distance from the plants and watch your temps. He also stated that running the lights at a lower setting will shorten the life of the bulb. My situation may be different than yours as I have a cool tube and fan speed was on a low setting.
If this doesn't help at all then please accept my apologies.

Jah Bless!

--------------------

InvisiblebEelzeBosS
Are my eyes red?

Re: Question about light intensity [Re: TribalSeed]
    #700939 - 12/21/13 09:28 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Interesting. I thought changing it would be beneficial to the plants since its replicating the intensity changes of the sun.

--------------------

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #700977 - 12/21/13 11:40 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Not beneficial at all.  The plant does not need a breaking dawn and dusk.  Full on from the beginning is just fine, and the plant will want it.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisiblebEelzeBosS
Are my eyes red?

Re: Question about light intensity [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #701067 - 12/21/13 02:09 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

What are the settings on my ballast for then? Just to save electricity?

--------------------

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #701069 - 12/21/13 02:12 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

yup

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineTribalSeed
SoulJah

Loc: Babylon
Re: Question about light intensity [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #701228 - 12/21/13 08:56 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Hawk strikes again! lol.
I get the saving electricity bit but honestly it seems useless now that the info is out.

--------------------

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

Re: Question about light intensity [Re: TribalSeed]
    #701340 - 12/22/13 07:46 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

I've read that changing the % of light intensity actually throws off the intended light spectrum of HID bulbs and they only designed to be used at 100%, but I think I read it on a bulb companies faq and they might just want you to keep you burning out your bulbs quicker.

It's not based on anything I've seen proven, but I still believe that plants benefit from close replication to natural conditions and need rest or at least benefit most from the closest replication to the suns natural cycle. btw adjusting the height of HID can drastically adjust the lumens.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Question about light intensity [Re: Midgetpawn]
    #701459 - 12/22/13 11:08 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

I could see how not running on full power could shift the color slightly. The 2700K rating is its "color temperature" in kelvin. Basically if you burn something in space you can tell how hot it is by the color it burns (stars). The spectrum that a burning object produces will indicate its composition (collection of all wavelengths and respective intensities). So if your not getting full power to the bulb its obviously not burning as hot, and should be a different color-temperature. I don't know if it is enough to actually make a difference, but there would probably some slight shift. The spectrum itself should not change without changing the material that your burning. i.e sodium burning at a specific temperature will always be a certain color(redish) and spectrum. If you wanted to change its color you would just keep heating it until it glowed white from shear intensity, but the spectrum-gradient it throws off should always be the same. Its been awhile since chemistry, but I'm pretty sure thats how it works.

The sun is always the same color, but we get bluer light in the winter because the tilt of the earth makes the light pass through more atmosphere, shifting the wavelength.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder