Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: lighting question [Re: double]
    #610299 - 02/23/12 09:29 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Oh I think it will be just fine to grow it along side.  No issues there man.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledouble
Diesel

Re: lighting question [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #610300 - 02/23/12 09:31 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

So does proper-wavelength make the difference over regular lights which give off a lot of heat?
Can plants known to be half-shade lovers be grown along with full sun lovers? :smile:

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #610302 - 02/23/12 09:33 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Heat is a wavelength of light. IR and Far-IR.

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #610304 - 02/23/12 09:35 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

In a setting like LEDS they will do just fine.  And I'm not really sure about the shade loving question.  But if you just set it off to the side it will probably be just fine.

--------------------

-niteowl

Invisibledouble
Diesel

#610305 - 02/23/12 09:37 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I meant that some plants thrive in full sun while other are adapted to shaded locations. But yeah I got your point of having them get some side/reflected light instead of centering them, thank you :smile:

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #610307 - 02/23/12 09:41 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Yup yup.

--------------------

-niteowl

Invisibledouble
Diesel

#610308 - 02/23/12 09:46 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

:bow2: @ you both.

I'm puzzled by reading that blue light mainly helps vegging and seeing led lamps made of mostly red lights, in a 1:6 ratio or something like that.

since leds do poor at flowering (which to my knownledge requires red and far-red wavelengths, along with UVB for increasing resin production) while they're sufficient for vegging, why not just make lights made up of only blue leds?

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #610309 - 02/23/12 09:52 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

The  reason plants prefer a blue spectrum for vegging and red-shifted light for flowering is an evolutionary by-product.  During the spring time (in the northern hemisphere) the planet is literally moving towards the sun, which by way of the Doppler Effect "compresses" the electromagnetic waves emitted by the sun and causes all the light to shift slightly more towards the blue spectrum.  At the summer solstice (which is coincidentally the moment that the days start getting shorter as well) the earth passes it's closest point and begins to move away from the sun again. Once again, Doppler Effect, or Red-Shift, takes over and "stretch" the light ever so slightly towards the longer wavelengths.

Plants only "prefer" those wavelengths because they're used to them from thousands of years of evolution.  You can mess with it and not be very detrimental in my experience.  I've flowered with blue bulbs and gotten great results, and I've vegged under HPS without any issues as well.

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: lighting question [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #610313 - 02/23/12 10:08 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I grow with HPS through my whole grow.  Mainly because I'm lazy and don't want to have to remove the glass and switch the bulbs etc. 

But I get great results with that.

--------------------

-niteowl

Invisibledouble
Diesel

#610318 - 02/23/12 11:31 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
The  reason plants prefer a blue spectrum for vegging and red-shifted light for flowering is an evolutionary by-product.  During the spring time (in the northern hemisphere) the planet is literally moving towards the sun, which by way of the Doppler Effect "compresses" the electromagnetic waves emitted by the sun and causes all the light to shift slightly more towards the blue spectrum.  At the summer solstice (which is coincidentally the moment that the days start getting shorter as well) the earth passes it's closest point and begins to move away from the sun again. Once again, Doppler Effect, or Red-Shift, takes over and "stretch" the light ever so slightly towards the longer wavelengths.

Plants only "prefer" those wavelengths because they're used to them from thousands of years of evolution.  You can mess with it and not be very detrimental in my experience.  I've flowered with blue bulbs and gotten great results, and I've vegged under HPS without any issues as well.

So would, watt for watt, be more efficient red 660nm or blue 460nm light? Since leds perform acceptably only at vegging, one may go with using only one wavalength instead of two, if this makes an efficiency difference for the current used :smile:
I'd hate to use a commercial red/blue 6:1 and get poorer results than getting a completely blue led panel.

Thank you

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #610319 - 02/23/12 11:37 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

The MOST effective light would be hitting every single peak on this graph, at respective intensities to the size of the peak.

only ONE wavelength is never going to be the best. Plants need a blend because there are multiple photosynthetic pigments.

--------------------

Invisibledouble
Diesel

#610320 - 02/23/12 11:46 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for your reply, that's the kind of answer I was expecting :smile:

By looking at the graph I also see how using only the highest peaks (660 and 460nm) wavelengths light makers make a compromise on efficiency/cost :smile:

Only reason I can guess by logic on such a big difference in red/blue as seen in lights using a 6:1 ratio is that plants have way less chlorophyll a than chlorophyll b :shrug:

Thanks again

Offlinebm90191
New To Growery
 User Gallery

#610333 - 02/23/12 12:53 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:

Yup learned about this in astronomy, the wavelength of the suns light is blue shifted as we are moving towards the sun in the summer months and red-shifted when we're moving away from the sun in the fall.  I didn't even think of that harry, I thought it had more to do with Earth's tilt on it's axis which, as we all know, is what causes season changes.  I never thought that doppler effect we learned about in astro for gaging distance and directions of stars applied to how cannabis plants respond to the sunslight..thats super interesting guess you learn something new every day! lol

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: lighting question [Re: bm90191]
    #610357 - 02/23/12 05:38 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I thought it was the axis as well.  But I haven't really taken any classes on this subject.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #610360 - 02/23/12 05:45 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

The axial tilt influences the intensity of the sunlight hitting the surface and therefore how much energy is absorbed and reradiated as heat into the atmosphere (causing the seasons).  It doesn't affect the wavelength shift of incident light.

--------------------

Offlinebm90191
New To Growery
 User Gallery

#610363 - 02/23/12 05:53 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah its confusing because the northern hemisphere is actually closer to the sun in the fall/winter but like harry said its the doppler effect that has caused cannabis to evolve in accordance with the blue and red shifts

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: lighting question [Re: bm90191]
    #610373 - 02/23/12 06:39 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

bm90191 said:
Yeah its confusing because the northern hemisphere is actually closer to the sun in the fall/winter but like harry said its the doppler effect that has caused cannabis to evolve in accordance with the blue and red shifts

Only in the southern hemisphere.

In the northern hemisphere then our axial tilt aligns with the solstice movement shifts. ie, in the winter when we're tilted away we're also at our farthest point. In the summer when we're pointed towards it is our closest point.

--------------------

Invisibledouble
Diesel

#616384 - 04/05/12 03:28 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

would placing plants close to LED lights emitting red/blue wavelengths ever produce burns or issues?

I am asking since they don't emit anything else other than their wavelengths and some heat (which goes up and is taken care of, though) due to joule effect, so virtually no IR radiation could the plants.

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #616475 - 04/05/12 09:58 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I've seen sunburn and even bleaching as a result of running the lights to close to the canopy.

--------------------
:getstoned:

Invisibledouble
Diesel

Re: lighting question [Re: Stoneth]
    #616500 - 04/06/12 04:34 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Stoneth said:
I've seen sunburn and even bleaching as a result of running the lights to close to the canopy.

are you talking about LED lights emitting no UV or IR?

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds