Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibledouble
Diesel

lighting question
    #610042 - 02/21/12 08:46 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Hello,

what happens if a plant is subject to 16 or more hours of light (during the day/night) which are non-consecutive, like broken by half or 1 hour?

also which plants can grow nicely in 24 hours of continuous light, other than cannabis? is there a list somewhere?

Also, assuming vegging plant absorb light at 430 nm and 660 nm (and everything else at different wavelengths isn't useful), what's the best ratio of them? How many lumens (also how many minimum) per square foot? Do they need IR and UV light?

Thank you

Edited by double (02/21/12 09:30 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: lighting question [Re: double]
    #610091 - 02/21/12 02:29 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Broken up light periods can cause stress, irregular flowering.  And 16 hours is a little low for vegetative period, 18 hours of ON time should be your minimum.

If your running an HPS or MH then your already getting UV light and infrared being thrown out, so that really isn't an issue.

I'm not really sure why your asking about the different nanometers, unless your thinking about doing LED where able to actually target those.  From the small amount of research I've done it looks like the optimal is

"the proportion of twelve red 660 nm LEDs, plus six orange 612 nm LEDs and one blue 470 nm LED was optimal".

Not sure if these were the answers your looking for, hope it helped though.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: lighting question [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #610093 - 02/21/12 02:39 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I would think the "optimal" spectrum for indoor cultivation would be the one that most closely mimics the sun's output from far IR to Gamma. Millions of years of evolution has adapted the plant to function perfectly under those conditions, so anything else could be said to be subpar.

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: lighting question [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #610096 - 02/21/12 02:54 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

True, but you know were talking about indoor growing.  How awesome would it be to just be able to bottle up a little bit o sun and keep it in my basement.  Alas HPS will have to do with me for now.

--------------------

-niteowl

Invisibledouble
Diesel

#610105 - 02/21/12 04:20 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Thank you for your answers.

I was thinking about LED and specific light colors, blue and red being the most common ones. I thought orange wasn't necessary, though it probably is.

I concur on thinking that nothing can beat sun, but the green part of the visible spectrum is pretty useless since plants don't absorb it, hence you're "wasting" watts on that portion, and maybe on UV and IR too if plants don't need them.

Would salvia grow faster on a 24/0 schedule? Or does it need some recovery time?

Thank you

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #610107 - 02/21/12 04:22 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Sorry man.  I don't really know anything about growing salvia.  I like to give plants, even marijuana, a night cycle.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlinebm90191
New To Growery
 User Gallery

#610109 - 02/21/12 04:23 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
True, but you know were talking about indoor growing.  How awesome would it be to just be able to bottle up a little bit o sun and keep it in my basement.  Alas HPS will have to do with me for now.

I think the closest thing to that are those huge greenhouses they have in Cali where they supplement sunlight with HPS's, probably grows some superrr dank nug.  They have big tarps to cover the plants to manipulate the lighting conditions if the sun starts setting later and later during flowering so they can keep the 12/12 cycle.  Definitely a super cool idea combining indoor and outdoor growing.  I think the closest thing a home grower could get to something like that would be building their flowering room under skylights if they have them.  You would need a tarp or something to cover them if the sun starts setting later to keep your 12-12 cycle.  Wonder if anyone has tried that and what their results were compared to just HID lighting, hmmm?

Offlinephrostbyte
Hydro Grower

#610140 - 02/21/12 08:41 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

double said:
Thank you for your answers.

Would salvia grow faster on a 24/0 schedule? Or does it need some recovery time?

Thank you

from what i have read salvia, like marijuana does not NEED a dark cycle.  IMO these types of plants grow faster under 24/0 light.

Invisibledouble
Diesel

Re: lighting question [Re: phrostbyte]
    #610178 - 02/22/12 05:59 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Would giving good quality light during night hours, then supplement a minimum/treshold mellower light for say a hour or two, then put out under the sun, work with less stressing?

like lights on 11 p.m. - 6 a.m. then 1 hour dim lights, then outside.
or replacing that hour of dim lights by putting outside, though at that hour the sun won't be that bright.

Thank you

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #610195 - 02/22/12 11:52 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Just don't dim the lights.....

--------------------

-niteowl

Invisibledouble
Diesel

#610196 - 02/22/12 12:37 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for your reply.

So I guess that it's either run lights continuosly or screw your plants and stress them?
Are there no intermediate solutions, like the one of using a dim light between the appropriate indoor lighting and the outdoor natural light as I suggested? :smile:

Thank you

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #610203 - 02/22/12 03:33 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Well I'm trying to figure out why you just don't keep them in full light until you bring them outside.  I mean dimming wouldn't be too horrible for them.  I just don't get why it's necessary.

--------------------

-niteowl

Invisibledouble
Diesel

#610222 - 02/22/12 05:54 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Well I'm trying to figure out why you just don't keep them in full light until you bring them outside.  I mean dimming wouldn't be too horrible for them.  I just don't get why it's necessary.

say it's for energy saving, when you can get electricity off some sources unnoticed at certain hours, while you can't at some others.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #610223 - 02/22/12 06:04 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Okay, I wont press any further then.  It'll be okay to dim it for an hour plus a little.

--------------------

-niteowl

Invisibledouble
Diesel

#610225 - 02/22/12 06:13 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Okay, I wont press any further then.  It'll be okay to dim it for an hour plus a little.

Thank you. Another question, would the plants notice 5 minutes off lights?

Offlinephrostbyte
Hydro Grower

#610226 - 02/22/12 06:18 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

double said:
Quote:

hawksapprentice said:

not really

Invisibledouble
Diesel

#610227 - 02/22/12 06:24 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

phrostbyte said:
Quote:

double said:
Quote:

hawksapprentice said:

not really

I guess the opposite would be true for flowering though, getting those 5 mins of light in the dark cycle, right? :smile:

How much time do you think they can break the light cycle going unnoticed? 10mins? 20?

Thank you

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #610228 - 02/22/12 06:24 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

What he said.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlinephrostbyte
Hydro Grower

#610243 - 02/22/12 08:24 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

double said:

How much time do you think they can break the light cycle going unnoticed? 10mins? 20?

Thank you

well  I have had to turn on a light during the dark period for a few mins here and there.  Not to mention looking around with an led flashlight.  Never had any negative affects that I noticed really.  If it doesn't happen constantly I don't think its a really big deal for 5 - 10 mins.

If you need to do things in the dark you can always put a green bulb in the grow room to use in the dark period.  Plants can't use green light and it does not affect them.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100573566/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=green%20light%20bulb&storeId=10051

Invisibledouble
Diesel

#610298 - 02/23/12 09:27 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Thank you for your replies. :smile:

Could salvia be grown along with cannabis under the same red & blue lights, if they don't give out too much heat? Or should it be shaded somehow?

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #610299 - 02/23/12 09:29 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Oh I think it will be just fine to grow it along side.  No issues there man.

--------------------

-niteowl

Invisibledouble
Diesel

#610300 - 02/23/12 09:31 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

So does proper-wavelength make the difference over regular lights which give off a lot of heat?
Can plants known to be half-shade lovers be grown along with full sun lovers? :smile:

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #610302 - 02/23/12 09:33 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Heat is a wavelength of light. IR and Far-IR.

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #610304 - 02/23/12 09:35 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

In a setting like LEDS they will do just fine.  And I'm not really sure about the shade loving question.  But if you just set it off to the side it will probably be just fine.

--------------------

-niteowl

Invisibledouble
Diesel

#610305 - 02/23/12 09:37 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I meant that some plants thrive in full sun while other are adapted to shaded locations. But yeah I got your point of having them get some side/reflected light instead of centering them, thank you :smile:

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #610307 - 02/23/12 09:41 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Yup yup.

--------------------

-niteowl

Invisibledouble
Diesel

#610308 - 02/23/12 09:46 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

:bow2: @ you both.

I'm puzzled by reading that blue light mainly helps vegging and seeing led lamps made of mostly red lights, in a 1:6 ratio or something like that.

since leds do poor at flowering (which to my knownledge requires red and far-red wavelengths, along with UVB for increasing resin production) while they're sufficient for vegging, why not just make lights made up of only blue leds?

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #610309 - 02/23/12 09:52 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

The  reason plants prefer a blue spectrum for vegging and red-shifted light for flowering is an evolutionary by-product.  During the spring time (in the northern hemisphere) the planet is literally moving towards the sun, which by way of the Doppler Effect "compresses" the electromagnetic waves emitted by the sun and causes all the light to shift slightly more towards the blue spectrum.  At the summer solstice (which is coincidentally the moment that the days start getting shorter as well) the earth passes it's closest point and begins to move away from the sun again. Once again, Doppler Effect, or Red-Shift, takes over and "stretch" the light ever so slightly towards the longer wavelengths.

Plants only "prefer" those wavelengths because they're used to them from thousands of years of evolution.  You can mess with it and not be very detrimental in my experience.  I've flowered with blue bulbs and gotten great results, and I've vegged under HPS without any issues as well.

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #610313 - 02/23/12 10:08 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I grow with HPS through my whole grow.  Mainly because I'm lazy and don't want to have to remove the glass and switch the bulbs etc. 

But I get great results with that.

--------------------

-niteowl

Invisibledouble
Diesel

#610318 - 02/23/12 11:31 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
The  reason plants prefer a blue spectrum for vegging and red-shifted light for flowering is an evolutionary by-product.  During the spring time (in the northern hemisphere) the planet is literally moving towards the sun, which by way of the Doppler Effect "compresses" the electromagnetic waves emitted by the sun and causes all the light to shift slightly more towards the blue spectrum.  At the summer solstice (which is coincidentally the moment that the days start getting shorter as well) the earth passes it's closest point and begins to move away from the sun again. Once again, Doppler Effect, or Red-Shift, takes over and "stretch" the light ever so slightly towards the longer wavelengths.

Plants only "prefer" those wavelengths because they're used to them from thousands of years of evolution.  You can mess with it and not be very detrimental in my experience.  I've flowered with blue bulbs and gotten great results, and I've vegged under HPS without any issues as well.

So would, watt for watt, be more efficient red 660nm or blue 460nm light? Since leds perform acceptably only at vegging, one may go with using only one wavalength instead of two, if this makes an efficiency difference for the current used :smile:
I'd hate to use a commercial red/blue 6:1 and get poorer results than getting a completely blue led panel.

Thank you

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #610319 - 02/23/12 11:37 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

The MOST effective light would be hitting every single peak on this graph, at respective intensities to the size of the peak.

only ONE wavelength is never going to be the best. Plants need a blend because there are multiple photosynthetic pigments.

--------------------

Invisibledouble
Diesel

#610320 - 02/23/12 11:46 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for your reply, that's the kind of answer I was expecting :smile:

By looking at the graph I also see how using only the highest peaks (660 and 460nm) wavelengths light makers make a compromise on efficiency/cost :smile:

Only reason I can guess by logic on such a big difference in red/blue as seen in lights using a 6:1 ratio is that plants have way less chlorophyll a than chlorophyll b :shrug:

Thanks again

Offlinebm90191
New To Growery
 User Gallery

#610333 - 02/23/12 12:53 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:

Yup learned about this in astronomy, the wavelength of the suns light is blue shifted as we are moving towards the sun in the summer months and red-shifted when we're moving away from the sun in the fall.  I didn't even think of that harry, I thought it had more to do with Earth's tilt on it's axis which, as we all know, is what causes season changes.  I never thought that doppler effect we learned about in astro for gaging distance and directions of stars applied to how cannabis plants respond to the sunslight..thats super interesting guess you learn something new every day! lol

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: lighting question [Re: bm90191]
    #610357 - 02/23/12 05:38 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I thought it was the axis as well.  But I haven't really taken any classes on this subject.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #610360 - 02/23/12 05:45 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

The axial tilt influences the intensity of the sunlight hitting the surface and therefore how much energy is absorbed and reradiated as heat into the atmosphere (causing the seasons).  It doesn't affect the wavelength shift of incident light.

--------------------

Offlinebm90191
New To Growery
 User Gallery

#610363 - 02/23/12 05:53 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah its confusing because the northern hemisphere is actually closer to the sun in the fall/winter but like harry said its the doppler effect that has caused cannabis to evolve in accordance with the blue and red shifts

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #610373 - 02/23/12 06:39 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

bm90191 said:
Yeah its confusing because the northern hemisphere is actually closer to the sun in the fall/winter but like harry said its the doppler effect that has caused cannabis to evolve in accordance with the blue and red shifts

Only in the southern hemisphere.

In the northern hemisphere then our axial tilt aligns with the solstice movement shifts. ie, in the winter when we're tilted away we're also at our farthest point. In the summer when we're pointed towards it is our closest point.

--------------------

Invisibledouble
Diesel

#616384 - 04/05/12 03:28 PM (12 years, 16 days ago)

would placing plants close to LED lights emitting red/blue wavelengths ever produce burns or issues?

I am asking since they don't emit anything else other than their wavelengths and some heat (which goes up and is taken care of, though) due to joule effect, so virtually no IR radiation could the plants.

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #616475 - 04/05/12 09:58 PM (12 years, 16 days ago)

I've seen sunburn and even bleaching as a result of running the lights to close to the canopy.

--------------------
:getstoned:

Invisibledouble
Diesel

Re: lighting question [Re: Stoneth]
    #616500 - 04/06/12 04:34 AM (12 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

Stoneth said:
I've seen sunburn and even bleaching as a result of running the lights to close to the canopy.

are you talking about LED lights emitting no UV or IR?

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #616537 - 04/06/12 12:00 PM (12 years, 15 days ago)

Yes sir.

--------------------

Invisibledouble
Diesel

#616544 - 04/06/12 01:29 PM (12 years, 15 days ago)

Quote:

Stoneth said:
Yes sir.

just wanted to be sure, thank you. how far should be the lights put away according to their wattage? I expect them to be able being put closer because they emit way less heat (IR) than MH or HPS.

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #616545 - 04/06/12 01:41 PM (12 years, 15 days ago)

Personally I like 2 to 6 inches, tho wattage is a factor here with higher wattage units 300+ 10 to 12, I'm willing to accept a little bleaching.  But I'm always watching for any signs of burns.
In my experience a little bleaching doesn't hurt anything, tho to much bleaching tends to slow growth a little and causes a hashish like taste.
Burns of any kind are just bad imo.

--------------------

Invisibledouble
Diesel

#616862 - 04/08/12 04:43 AM (12 years, 14 days ago)

thank you :thumbup:

OfflineGreenShaman
Stranger
Male

Loc: Pluto
    #617895 - 04/12/12 09:54 PM (12 years, 9 days ago)

hmm interesting :rasta:

You can keep a vegetative or newborn plant under lights 24/7?  How can they photosynthesize?  I thought..... only thought... i may be wrong, that vegetative plants can go from 16-18 hours.  I forgot about flowering....  Oh and how does the irregular lighting patterns effect the plant?

:smug:

--------------------
:wink:

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: lighting question [Re: GreenShaman]
    #617901 - 04/12/12 10:08 PM (12 years, 9 days ago)

How irregular light patterns affect the plant depends on what stage of growth they are in.  If it is flowering it can stress you're plant out and cause it to hermie out.

A few plants out there do not need a dark cycle during growth.  Marijuana is one of them.  Now obviously the light amount does need to be reduced to 12/12 to flower, unlike some plants that will flower regardless.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineGreenShaman
Stranger
Male

#617975 - 04/13/12 08:55 AM (12 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
How irregular light patterns affect the plant depends on what stage of growth they are in.  If it is flowering it can stress you're plant out and cause it to hermie out.

A few plants out there do not need a dark cycle during growth.  Marijuana is one of them.  Now obviously the light amount does need to be reduced to 12/12 to flower, unlike some plants that will flower regardless.

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:

Thank you very much!  I spoke to a tomato farmer and he was giving me the 18/6 bullshit routine... So very flexible lighting requirements until flowering.... sounds like an easy plant to grow.  :thumb up:

:smile:

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #618035 - 04/13/12 02:42 PM (12 years, 8 days ago)

But you should stick to 1 light cycle during veg.  Don't be switching between 18/6 to 24/0.  Pick 1 and stick with it.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineGreenShaman
Stranger
Male

#618069 - 04/13/12 07:22 PM (12 years, 8 days ago)

why?...eep

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #618075 - 04/13/12 07:33 PM (12 years, 8 days ago)

Can stress them out.  Shifting it once or twice is no big deal.  But you shouldn't be doing it a lot.  It's way more critical to keep consistent light periods during flowering than vegetative.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineGreenShaman
Stranger
Male

#618079 - 04/13/12 07:39 PM (12 years, 8 days ago)

this is getting off topic but how about increasing the ratio so it's longer but consistent?

let's say 20/2 would that be stress free for ms. mary jane?

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #618082 - 04/13/12 07:46 PM (12 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

GreenShaman said:
this is getting off topic but how about increasing the ratio so it's longer but consistent?

I'm confused.

What I was getting at was that having your light periods jump around from different on/off cycles can be stressful. 

Any steady light schedule is stress free.

20/4 would work just fine.  I'm assuming that's what you meant.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineGreenShaman
Stranger
Male

#618085 - 04/13/12 07:49 PM (12 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Quote:

GreenShaman said:

I'm confused.

What I was getting at was that having your light periods jump around from different on/off cycles can be stressful. 

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:

oh yeah! sorry somebody real close to me took a bunch of lortabs and xanax....

:trippingsheens:
Quote:

GreenShaman said:

I'm confused.

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #618087 - 04/13/12 07:52 PM (12 years, 8 days ago)

You gotta work on your quoting skills.  :awedrugs:

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineGreenShaman
Stranger
Male

#618104 - 04/13/12 08:50 PM (12 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
You gotta work on your quoting skills.  :awedrugs:

:cool: haw haw, lol again lortabs and xanax... coming down now though :sad:

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #618134 - 04/14/12 02:01 AM (12 years, 8 days ago)

And now I'm drunk!!

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineBlackd0ve420
 User Gallery

#618150 - 04/14/12 05:55 AM (12 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:

Autoflowers would be an exception to this correct? They could run 24/0 no problem because of their auto design?  :jacked:

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: lighting question [Re: Blackd0ve420]
    #618155 - 04/14/12 08:26 AM (12 years, 8 days ago)

I've heard of them getting funky growth on full 24/0 light.  And some wont even flower, even though they are auto flower, on 24/0.

--------------------

-niteowl

Invisibledouble
Diesel

#618156 - 04/14/12 08:48 AM (12 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

Stoneth said:
Personally I like 2 to 6 inches, tho wattage is a factor here with higher wattage units 300+ 10 to 12, I'm willing to accept a little bleaching.  But I'm always watching for any signs of burns.
In my experience a little bleaching doesn't hurt anything, tho to much bleaching tends to slow growth a little and causes a hashish like taste.
Burns of any kind are just bad imo.

would complete bleaching (yellow leaves due to too much light) of the apical stem/leaves kill growth on a seedling?

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #618160 - 04/14/12 09:43 AM (12 years, 7 days ago)

Usually bleaching ends up being more white than yellow.  Are you sure it was bleaching?

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #618170 - 04/14/12 11:30 AM (12 years, 7 days ago)

Bleaching is white or near white at least.
Yellow is your plant telling you there are problems.

--------------------

Invisibledouble
Diesel

#618198 - 04/14/12 02:32 PM (12 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Usually bleaching ends up being more white than yellow.  Are you sure it was bleaching?

leaves were light green/fine. put them close (1") from a 50w red/blue LED panel for 14 hours and the younger 2-3 sets of leaves, comprised the apical stem, assumed a solid yellow, potato chips-like color.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #618201 - 04/14/12 02:49 PM (12 years, 7 days ago)

Pic?

--------------------

-niteowl

Invisibledouble
Diesel

#618204 - 04/14/12 03:10 PM (12 years, 7 days ago)

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #618209 - 04/14/12 03:31 PM (12 years, 7 days ago)

I'd say that looks more burnt than bleached.

--------------------

-niteowl

Invisibledouble
Diesel

#618218 - 04/14/12 03:39 PM (12 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
I'd say that looks more burnt than bleached.

I see, thank you :hatsoff:

OfflineBlackd0ve420
 User Gallery

#618242 - 04/14/12 08:38 PM (12 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
I've heard of them getting funky growth on full 24/0 light.  And some wont even flower, even though they are auto flower, on 24/0.

Really? I was under the impression otherwise. I have had mine on 24/0 the whole time. So far so good...I guess we'll see. It'd probably be best now to just keep them on that schedule instead of just switching it over 12/12.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #618265 - 04/14/12 11:14 PM (12 years, 7 days ago)

This is just what I have heard.  Experiment and see what happens man.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlinethe man

#618281 - 04/15/12 01:19 AM (12 years, 7 days ago)

ya if they are good autos they flower under 24. all these Ryders out there can be a bit unstable esp people trying to catch the wave(if there still is one) as quick as possible

OfflineBlackd0ve420
 User Gallery

Re: lighting question [Re: the man]
    #618312 - 04/15/12 09:23 AM (12 years, 6 days ago)

:thumbup:

I'll post results of a 24/0 grow then in a separate thread.

Offlinebm90191
New To Growery
 User Gallery

#618337 - 04/15/12 01:48 PM (12 years, 6 days ago)

if you try a 24/0 grow at least switch the spectrum between veg and flowering from 6500k to 2700 or lower for flowering.  I can vouch for the fact that time is more important than spectrum, I switched my veg lights (6500k) to 12/12 from 18/6 and that initiated the flowering.  If its not an autoflowering strain it definitely needs some type of cue to just switch into flower.

OfflineBlackd0ve420
 User Gallery

#618366 - 04/15/12 06:33 PM (12 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

bm90191 said:
if you try a 24/0 grow at least switch the spectrum between veg and flowering from 6500k to 2700 or lower for flowering.  I can vouch for the fact that time is more important than spectrum, I switched my veg lights (6500k) to 12/12 from 18/6 and that initiated the flowering.  If its not an autoflowering strain it definitely needs some type of cue to just switch into flower.

They are autoflowering diseal hybrids.

Offlinebm90191
New To Growery
 User Gallery

#618379 - 04/15/12 06:48 PM (12 years, 6 days ago)

That seems like its gonna be harder to control temps I feel like my night cycle gives my room a chance to cool down a bit how do you think your going to go about controlling the temps for your space?

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #618382 - 04/15/12 06:59 PM (12 years, 6 days ago)

I run my lights 24/0 during veg.  No heat issues.  But then again I use air cooled lights as well as have an air conditioner.  But I look at preparing my grow spaces before I start growing these days.  Learned my lesson to many times to not prepare the grow space adequately before I start growing.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlinebm90191
New To Growery
 User Gallery

#618383 - 04/15/12 07:07 PM (12 years, 6 days ago)

do you run MH for veg?  I know its a hot topic but most growers I know have converted to T5's they say the results are practically identical and with the T5s the plants don't stretch nearly as much because they are like 1.5 inches above the canopies

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #618384 - 04/15/12 07:10 PM (12 years, 6 days ago)

Nope, HPS the whole way through.  The strain I have stretches like a mother fucker when it hits 12/12 anyways, that I don't care if it's a little lankier during veg.  Which they really aren't anyways.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlinebm90191
New To Growery
 User Gallery

#618395 - 04/15/12 07:39 PM (12 years, 6 days ago)

Yeah i know what u mean i'm still raising my lights 5 weeks into flowering

OfflineBlackd0ve420
 User Gallery

#618404 - 04/15/12 08:22 PM (12 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

bm90191 said:
That seems like its gonna be harder to control temps I feel like my night cycle gives my room a chance to cool down a bit how do you think your going to go about controlling the temps for your space?

Don't have any heat problems. CFL's don't put out much heat, one of the reasons I went with them. I also have a couple fans going, and also one I turn on near my mushie box.

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #618405 - 04/15/12 08:23 PM (12 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

bm90191 said:
do you run MH for veg?  I know its a hot topic but most growers I know have converted to T5's they say the results are practically identical and with the T5s the plants don't stretch nearly as much because they are like 1.5 inches above the canopies

I have yet seen a set of T5's grow as well as MH.
And if someone is getting stretching under an MH then they are raising their lights to quickly.
MH in fact creates tighter branch spacing.

--------------------

Offlinebm90191
New To Growery
 User Gallery

#618408 - 04/15/12 08:29 PM (12 years, 6 days ago)

Hydrofarm T5's produce sick results

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #618411 - 04/15/12 08:30 PM (12 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

bm90191 said:
Hydrofarm T5's produce sick results

For a Floro.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #618414 - 04/15/12 08:33 PM (12 years, 6 days ago)

I've seen them, and grown with them.
They don't have enough peneration to keep me happy.
HID is the only way for me.

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #618415 - 04/15/12 08:37 PM (12 years, 6 days ago)

HID is always the way for me.  Floros only get used for my mothers.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #618437 - 04/15/12 11:30 PM (12 years, 6 days ago)

I only use cfl's for clones these days.
But that is as far as I'll go with flouro's.

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #618439 - 04/15/12 11:36 PM (12 years, 6 days ago)

Well my mother doesn't that much power.  I find a shop light gives me more than enough light for them to grow back after being cut.  I usually have to trim them back still half way through the grow.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #618649 - 04/16/12 09:07 PM (12 years, 5 days ago)

I have a heat problem most of the year(because of where I live). T12's I use for clones and mother's . Put mother's under a T5HO when getting ready to take clones.

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies